HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Where would be the best place to get a chihuahua?
Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: April 08, 2007 04:31PM

I would like to get a new pet. Where can I get a chihuahua dog. They are very cute.

Thanks, Trickie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where would be the best place to get a chihuahua?
Posted by: mexicancanine ()
Date: April 08, 2007 04:41PM

I can kick a chihuahua 50 yds

Posted by: CWP fan ()
Date: April 08, 2007 04:47PM

petfinder.com

Posted by: duh ()
Date: April 08, 2007 06:02PM

Trickie, do NOT get a chihuahua....unless you live alone. They are one person dogs!

My wife bought one from a friend at work and that is the most ornery critter I've ever seen. It snarls at me CONSTANTLY. I have never done a thing to this dog to make him hate me so....in fact, I have never even petted the dog, he won't let me.

If something were to happen to my wife, I'll have to buy a Hav-A-Heart trap just to catch the sorry SOB!

BTW, the smaller they are, the more they cost...I think they call the tiniest ones "teacups".

Posted by: Washing ToneLocian ()
Date: April 08, 2007 09:28PM

Chihuahuas rock! However, if you have little kids I would not recommend getting one. They don't do well with getting grabbed, etc. However, if you have older kids they are awesome!

I would suggest finding a breeder online. There are usually websites dedicated to specific breeds where you can find a local breeder.

Posted by: cw ()
Date: April 08, 2007 10:28PM

A little bigger is the cairn terrier, just like toto in the wizard of oz. Lot more friendly than a chihuahua. duh is right the chihuahua is a one person dog.

Date: April 08, 2007 10:36PM

Well I see this breed does not have a huge following. We do not have small kids. Our son no longer lives at home. We do have two cats.
Duh, now you are scaring me. I want the chihuahau to be a family pet. Maybe yours is just emotionally disturbed and that's why he won't let you touch him. ( My mom had one like that too. he hated me when I was a kid) I will try Petfinder as I can wait.
My friend has two poodles and they won't let anyone touch them either, not even her husband. I wonder if they like cats.

Thanks for the tips, Duh. I bet if you talked really soft to the chihauhau and let it lick your hand, it would be nicer. try speaking Spanish or something.

Trickie

Date: April 08, 2007 10:48PM

I know several people who had chihuahuas and they had the same experience. The dog attached itself to one member of the family and that was it.
I think it is the AKC website that tells you what kind of dog fits what kind of person or family.
If you wanted a bigger dog a lab retriever or golden retriever are excellent dogs. Very loyal smart and family friendly. Even though they are big, nursing homes for older people use them to help out the old folks who lost their dogs when they were moved into the homes.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: April 08, 2007 11:23PM

We do have two cats.

Get another cat, you won't be disappointed. Cats are always interesting.

I don't know much about chihuahuas, but I grew up with a cairn terrier like "cw" mentioned, and it was a terror. It barked alot and snapped at us kids and strangers. It wasn't a good family dog. It only loved my mom and was very mean, loud, and yappy when she wasn't around.

OTOH, the nicest dog I've lived with was a Chesapeake Lab.... he was sorta needy at times, but very tame and respectful.

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: April 09, 2007 08:23AM

TRICKIE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would like to get a new pet. Where can I get a
> chihuahua dog. They are very cute.
>
> Thanks, Trickie

Tricke,

Is this a serious post? My wife recently adopted a long-haired chihuahua for her mother, but it really is not working out. We thought that it would be therapeutic since she lives alone. The dog is about six pounds and looks like a small red fox. Very cute and does not seem to have a problem with people or other dogs. The only problem is that he is in Massachusetts after my wife took him there over spring break and my wife will not be going back there until late June.

Posted by: pmn ()
Date: April 09, 2007 12:04PM

http://www.petharbor.com/

Fairfax County Animal Shelter has one, according to PetHarbor.

Date: April 09, 2007 12:07PM

Why is the dog not working out? Could you be more specific? Let me talk to my husband. I am still working on him for the dog acquisition. (he is against it since he is retiring in June and he thinks it will be too much trouble when we travel.) We also have two cats, each about ten years old. I have wanted a small dog for a long time. I like fox types too. You live near me too so do you have a picture of the long hair chihuahua.
I am a very good pet owner as all my pets live to be very old. You can even check my references with my cat vet, Dr. Janette Ellison at Fairfax Cat Hospital. She loves me!!!! Plus I am retired and would give a pet a lot of love and attention ( and NO tainted dog food!!)

Thanks!
trickie

Date: April 09, 2007 12:11PM

PMM, I saw the little white one at the animal shelter. Thanks. I may follow up on that.

Trickie

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: April 09, 2007 02:05PM

The details would probably be easier to discuss IRL, rather than creating more clutter on the forum and you seem to be sincere. The dog, Kobi, is very cute, weighs about six pounds and is very cat-like in his behavior. Kobi is crate-trained and really likes to be around people. For a small dog he seems to be pretty hearty and he had no problem mixing it up with our 75-pound German Shepherd.

I don't want to share my e-mail address or phone on the forum, but let me know if you have an idea about how we can contact each other.

Date: April 09, 2007 02:09PM

dear Mr. Burham,

I will send you a private message on this forum. Thank you.

Trickie

Date: April 09, 2007 02:27PM

Well the PM thing did not work.
Just a warning, if anyone besides mr. Burnham sends me an email with bad language, I will call the police. Do NOT think I won't either. And then you will be arrested and you will learn what the Adult detention center feels like. I am a Catholic woman of age 60 and I do not want to read bad language or drug stuff in my email box. I heard enough of that kind of filth when I was teaching.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2007 08:56PM by TRICKIE.

Posted by: Heather ()
Date: April 09, 2007 03:05PM

If you're looking for another pet, why don't you go to the animal shelter and adopt one that really needs a home. If you are looking for a specific breed, try a breed-specific rescue. It's also very important to learn all that you can about a breed before adopting, especially if you're getting a purebred. Getting an animal simply because it's cute is utterly irresponsible.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: April 09, 2007 05:38PM

Some dogs from animal shelters work out fine, but I've seen many have problems with dogs from the shelters. Remember a lot of times people are getting rid of those pets for a reason.

Posted by: FairF4x0r ()
Date: April 09, 2007 05:41PM

If the pet is a problem from a shelter it is usually not that the owners got rid of it because it was a bad pet... it probably came from an abusive home. And these do take time to work with but make sure to ask the shelter if they know if the pet came from a bad situation. These pets are fine pets, you just need to be pateint with them while they learn to trust owners again.

Date: April 09, 2007 05:57PM

Heather,

I am hardly irresponsible simply because I would like a chihauhua. All of my cats have come from the shelter. Plus the two ferrets we used to have were rescue ferrets. Perhaps before you start judging me, you might want to read my post again. Obviously, you failed to read much of anything in this entire thread.

trickie

Posted by: FARVA ()
Date: April 09, 2007 07:13PM

LOL
Attachments:
republican-Chihuahua.jpg

Date: April 09, 2007 07:44PM

trickie,
Were you able to find the website from AKC about matching the person to the dog.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: April 09, 2007 08:53PM

Trickie, I would remove your email from your post after you get the email.

Meanwhile, if you ask the people at the shelter they migh tbe able to tell you if the dog has problems or not.

Of course if it was me gettign a dog id get a retriver of some kind. Golden, yellow lab, somthign of that sort.

Date: April 10, 2007 10:47AM

A bit defensive, I see. I didn't say YOU were irresponsible. I said getting an animal SIMPLY because it were cute would be irresponsible. Your defensiveness implies quite a lot. However, using a breeder instead of adopting is, in my opinion, irresponsible.

Posted by: TrickiL ()
Date: April 10, 2007 11:15AM

Personally, I don't see what is wrong with getting an animal because it is cute. For example, I would never want a bird or a snake. They are not cute. I would not want a german Shepherd since I hate their looks. I want a lap dog. One that is small and that I can hold and carry with me. One that will sleep beside me and not hog the bed. I want a small dog who will not hurt my two cats.
I agree with you about the breeder. I would not go to a breeder for a pet. It's just that I have fallen in love with the looks of the chihauhau breed. It is the same as the way I simply love orange tabby cats.
You don't have to be so snippy to me. I hope you are not one of those crazy PETA people. They always look so unhealthy.

Trickie

Posted by: Ay Carumba! ()
Date: April 10, 2007 02:29PM

Posted by: WOAHHWOAHWOAH ()
Date: April 10, 2007 07:53PM

papillions are good dogs,i have one.But they are hard to get and are expensive.

Date: April 10, 2007 09:18PM

If you want a puppy...you have go to a breeder. Just NOT a puppy mill type of breeder!

Trickie, I would look in the newspaper under pets. Our Chihuahua was bred by a couple my wife knows. They own the mama Chihuahua and they do a litter every so often just out of love for the breed. (There's not much money in it after all the expenses.)

This type of breeder is often very friendly and just love to talk about the breed. You ought to call a few of the Chihuahua ads and talk to them.

Date: April 11, 2007 12:08AM

Yes I have seen the chihauhau ads in the paper. I just don't want one like you have - the snarly one person kind. I want mine to be like a baby and the family pet. But I might just call a breeder and talk about the breed. Those people love to yak about dogs.

Thanks!!! You are so sweet. I hope that dog soon learns to like you like I like you.

Trickie

Date: April 11, 2007 10:52AM

sorry I cant find the website for you , but it is out there maybe google. But it matches a dog to your personality. It is well worth it. Some small dogs have unlimited energy like the jack russell.
If you do get a puppy I highly recommend taking the classes offered at petsmart or the county for new dog owners. It helps you to train the dog and gets them used to dealing with other dogs and people. If the dog isn't around other dogs or people they can be a big problem down the road

Date: April 11, 2007 01:40PM

CW, Thanks for the advice. I do not want to take my sweet chihuahua to some dog training class with those big old hulking dogs like labs and mastiffs. It would be too scary for a petite puppy like I want. Plus I plan to take my dog in a little purse or in my arms wherever I go so he can meet others and be happy around people. Hopefully, he will get along with my snotty Himalayan cat and my orange tabby. I am also going to get him a heart necklace with his name on it like Elle did for Bruiser in the movie "Legally Blond>" And I will get a matching one at Tiffany's for me!!!!
It is so nice to see so many sweet dog lovers here. See I knew you weren't all traffic scofflaws and substance abusers. Thank goodness!!!!

Dogs rule!!!

trickie

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: April 12, 2007 10:12AM

You can always get a Chia chihuahua
Attachments:
chichiuauhua.jpg

Posted by: § ()
Date: April 12, 2007 01:08PM

Q. Where would be the best place to get a chihuahua?

A. An Annandale Korean BBQ. -§

Date: April 12, 2007 03:15PM

TRICKIE Wrote:
> CW, Thanks for the advice. I do not want to take
> my sweet chihuahua to some dog training class with
> those big old hulking dogs like labs and mastiffs.
> It would be too scary for a petite puppy like I
> want. Plus I plan to take my dog in a little
> purse or in my arms wherever I go so he can meet
> others and be happy around people. Hopefully, he
> will get along with my snotty Himalayan cat and my
> orange tabby. I am also going to get him a heart
> necklace with his name on it like Elle did for
> Bruiser in the movie "Legally Blond>" And I will
> get a matching one at Tiffany's for me!!!!
> It is so nice to see so many sweet dog lovers
> here. See I knew you weren't all traffic
> scofflaws and substance abusers. Thank
> goodness!!!!
>
> Dogs rule!!!
>
> trickie

Oh good freakin lord...

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: April 13, 2007 11:37AM

Starting to like heather....

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: April 14, 2007 01:53PM

TRICKIE Wrote:
> Plus I plan to take my dog in a little
> purse or in my arms wherever I go so he can meet
> others and be happy around people. Hopefully, he
> will get along with my snotty Himalayan cat and my
> orange tabby. I am also going to get him a heart
> necklace with his name on it like Elle did for
> Bruiser in the movie "Legally Blond>" And I will
> get a matching one at Tiffany's for me!!!!

I think that you are really sweet Trickie... but please don't buy a dog as a fashion accessory. Not only is that trend a little outdated, but it isn't fair to the dog. Plus, wouldn't it make more sense to get a dog that you can jog/hike with?

Posted by: trickiL ()
Date: April 15, 2007 03:19PM

Thanks Genevieve, (love your name!!)

My dog will not be a fashion accessory but he will be my little buddy. I want him to be very social too so I will allow people to pet him. If he is wearing a tutu and beads, that will encourage others to talk to him and stroke him. So he will not be a one person dog or mean. ( some people told me they snap.) I have been collecting photos of chihauhaus now for two years in the hopes of my husband saying YES to a chihauhau. ( so far, no luck)
I really don't want to take my dog hiking or jogging. That is for big dogs and man dogs. Those big dogs all want to run all over like they are on speed or something. Plus after you pet big dog, your hand stinks. Nope a chihauhau is more my type of dog. Plus he won't hog the bed. Just so you know , all my pets live to be a rip old age ( like 21 my cats and 8 for my ferret (tears). So I do not tire of them once the cuteness wears off. Is it wrong to really love the look of an animal? Believe me, I am no Paris Hilton who goes out without her underpanties and a dressed up dog for photo op purposes. I do have blond hair though but that is where the similarity ends.

Hugs to Genevieve,
trickie

PS. Did you get your wedding dress yet?????

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: April 15, 2007 04:05PM

Let us be clear on one point: TrickiL has a cat. Have we heard from Gen yet on her cat(s).

Date: April 15, 2007 04:08PM

Actually right now I have two cats. My blind kitty, Kitten Licken, went to heaven a few months ago at the age of 17. I lost two pets recently, my ferret who is buried in our yard and Kitten Licken. In fact, Kitten L:icken is going to be Kitty of the Month post humously) at his cat vet. She has a web site. I love my pets.

Trickie

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: April 15, 2007 04:10PM

And some say asking a woman about her cat(s) is not a good conversation starter..... I disagree.

Posted by: Jester ()
Date: April 15, 2007 04:25PM

Dogs are fun, just remember they shit every where and County code says you must clean that shit up in a bag and put it in the trash.

This fat chick lives down the street from me and she just opens her door and lets her dog shit all over the neighborhood. Nothing like having dog shit in your yard when you don't own a dog!

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: April 16, 2007 12:53AM

Radiophile, already told you you were correct about Genevieve's cats, what do you want, a mewspaper article? I live with her, they are my cats too.

"mewspaper article" was a mistake, but I think I'm going to leave it in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2007 12:53AM by RESton Peace.

Date: April 16, 2007 10:05PM

Hey Trickie, I was in line tonight at Home Despot and an Asian lady in front of me had a teacup chihuahua in her bag. Scared me for a second when, out of the corner of my eye, I saw it move. Cute little bugger....I messed with him, unbeknownst to her.

As ornery as our Chihuahua is, he has NEVER snapped at me, or anybody else. LOTS of snarling, but no snapping.

Date: April 16, 2007 11:58PM

Oh how sweet! Too cute. Well I hope to get mine one of these days. Does yours just shy away from you or what? You made him sound like a monster. I bet he is really nice. Just speak softly to him.

Trickie

Posted by: suzie ()
Date: October 11, 2015 02:07AM

this is just because I need to tell you this or you will have that problem you don't want have if you cuddle and not let a chihuahua walk and be a dog and do what it needs to do it will turn on you or the people around you it becomes snarling and snappy trust me been there

Posted by: Johnson ()
Date: October 11, 2015 09:30AM

Just a thought or two. I sold real estate for 22 years and the only time I was bitten was by a client's chihuahua I have a neighbor with two of that breed.
One went under house arrest for biting a person while being taken for a walk.
On the other hand, there is a business owner in the City who has a delightful and friendly chihuahua.

My personal dog of choice is a yorkie. 5lbs and purchased from a breeder.
No health problems with this one or the one before that who lived to be 17.
The breed is friendly, gets along with larger dogs in neighborhood. First one was very much a lap dog. The one I have now prefers to do her own thing.

Posted by: thinker ()
Date: October 11, 2015 10:14AM

Think how many of these people's pets are now dead since this thread started.

Posted by: Aldi ()
Date: October 11, 2015 12:45PM

thinker Wrote:
> Think how many of these people's pets are now dead
> since this thread started.

Including OP.

Posted by: Sammy43 ()
Date: October 11, 2015 01:10PM

My grandfather had several. They are snarling little monsters from hell (to anyone but the owner they are definitley one person dogs) My grandfather's Chihauahau would terroize us, bite our ankles when we were like 5 & 6 year old kids. Unbeknownst to my grandfather, when I got a little older, it bit me again HARD on the ankle. I kicked (his sweet precious little angel) the rotten little motherfucker full force all the way across the room. After that I never had any trouble with it.

Posted by: dottie ()
Date: October 11, 2015 02:08PM

Ebay classifieds is good ( not to be confused with regular EBay). It used to be great. Believe it or not Craigslist is hoping with dogs. So many people buy puppies and change their minds.
Petland has quality dogs but steep prices. The dog you buy on eBay classifieds for $500 will be $2000, Why give them $1500 in corporate welfare.

Posted by: Yum yum ()
Date: October 12, 2015 09:04AM

Carlos O'Kelly's used to have a really good chihuahua, I liked the one with the green chile and sour cream more than the red sauce.

For a quickie, 7-11's chihuahuas in the cooler case aren't bad. Just toss 'em in the microwave for 30 seconds or so and yo'te good to go!

Posted by: Hmart ()
Date: October 12, 2015 10:38AM

We just get fresh supply of many variety dog AND cat. No put on display. Must ask at meat counter to buy. Yum yum!

Posted by: chihuahua for lunch ()
Date: October 12, 2015 10:40AM

5602 Dogue Run Dr.
Fairfax Station VA 22039-1044

but you have to get there before lunch time. otherwise it will be gone.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.