HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
State Troopers Get Dodge Chargers...
Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: April 02, 2007 12:36PM

Wow check these Va State trooper cars out... plus there are a couple of unmarks too..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2007 02:08PM by Lurker..
Attachments:
vasp-charger.jpg
virginia-police-charger.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: State Troopers Get Dodger Chargers...
Posted by: vthokies ()
Date: April 02, 2007 01:18PM

Re: State Troopers Get Dodge Chargers...
Posted by: mariokart ()
Date: April 02, 2007 07:17PM

I'd jack one.

Posted by: vip555 ()
Date: April 02, 2007 09:26PM

Where's the lightbar?

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: April 02, 2007 10:34PM

vip555 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where's the lightbar?

Lights are inside, near the top of the headliner/visor area and in the back as well.

Addl. lighting is located in each side mirror

Posted by: 1Adam12 ()
Date: April 02, 2007 10:56PM

Why all the HP? You couldn't chase a car in this area much above 70 mph anyway without killing some innocent person. There is no way this Dodge could run down a BMW or Mercedes.

Besides every police car has a limit where it is moving faster than the siren can carry to warn other motorists ahead. In other words by the time you hear the siren it is passing you. Makes for a very dangerous situation.

I know about the speed of sound and all that but believe me it is true.

Date: April 02, 2007 11:36PM

1Adam12 Wrote:
> Why all the HP? You couldn't chase a car in this
> area much above 70 mph anyway without killing some
> innocent person. There is no way this Dodge could
> run down a BMW or Mercedes.

I wouldn't be to sure about that... http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6386278938406609507

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: April 03, 2007 10:50AM

1Adam12 Wrote:
>
> Besides every police car has a limit where it is
> moving faster than the siren can carry to warn
> other motorists ahead. In other words by the time
> you hear the siren it is passing you. Makes for a
> very dangerous situation.
>
> I know about the speed of sound and all that but
> believe me it is true.

So I guess this means that the police should NEVER chase anyone?

Posted by: gesoffen ()
Date: April 03, 2007 11:16AM

Lurker. Wrote:
> 1Adam12 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Why all the HP? You couldn't chase a car in
> this
> > area much above 70 mph anyway without killing
> some
> > innocent person. There is no way this Dodge
> could
> > run down a BMW or Mercedes.
>
> I wouldn't be to sure about that...
> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6386278938
> 406609507

Hmmm a late 80's 4 cylinder BMW driven by a 15y.o. kidd vs a mid 90s 8 cylinder muscle car driven by a seasoned (I presume) and trained pursuit officer. And it seems to me that the BMW did fairly well (besides breaking down). It seems that the Bimmer pretty easily outhandled and braked the police cruisers too. BTW, the Charger is essenstially a Mercedes Benz in an American Muscle car tuxedo (with american V8 power) since it shares the chassis, transmission, brakes and many suspension components with the previous generation E-Class MB.

Regardless, unless you've got the Millenium Falcon, you can't out run radio.

And no, these Chargers don't go faster than the speed of sound, but yes they can travel fast enough that innocent bystanders won't have time to safely react to the sound of the siren. It takes a few minutes to pause from the cell converation, turn down the radio, tell the kids to shut up, put the cup of coffee down, fold up the newspaperadn, and pull out of the way!

Posted by: WarioSpeed ()
Date: April 03, 2007 11:22AM

wow those are nice i seen an unmarked car on 495....they are over doing it!!!!but hey thats our taxes what do you expect!!!!

Posted by: M ()
Date: April 03, 2007 01:35PM

Agree

Love how are taxes are spent now all the police need are some more helicopters and we got 1984

Date: April 03, 2007 01:44PM

35 assigned throughout the Commonwealth, the sleek, heavy-duty vehicles – complete with a HEMI® - are also sporting a new look. The redesigned decals are in a trial phase as cost and public feedback will determine if they will replace the existing State Seal decal.

Posted by: 1adam12 ()
Date: April 03, 2007 05:31PM

I never said they shouldnt chase anyone, I question how dangerous it can be if the other drivers do not hear the police car coming until it is too late. The car is not traveling faster than the speed of sound but there is resistance to the sound from the oncoming wind and you have to factor in the reaction time of the other drivers. Just like a race car that uses the car in front of them to punch holes in the wind resistance. You cant see it but it is there.

Is it worth killing people to catch a bank robber who has no intention of stopping? Even if they do catch them some liberal judge will have mercy on them because they come from a broken home and other liberal BS. And if they are juveniles everyone will cry rivers for the poor wayward youths.

My personal opinion only is that it is far too dangerous to travel at 100+ mph, regardless of the reason, in this area.

Date: April 03, 2007 05:33PM

As a footnote it would be interesting to check back in a few months to see how many, if any, accidents occur involving these cars in which speed was a factor.

Date: April 04, 2007 08:18AM

1adam12 Wrote:
> The car is not traveling faster than
> the speed of sound but there is resistance to the
> sound from the oncoming wind and you have to
> factor in the reaction time of the other drivers.
> Just like a race car that uses the car in front of
> them to punch holes in the wind resistance. You
> cant see it but it is there.

Sound propgation resisted by the wind?! Are you kidding me? The only thing that governs the speed of sound is the density and stiffness of the medium it is travelling through.

No if you are referring to doppler shift that creates the higher pitch sound of siren as it approaches you (perhaps your listening to "The Darkness" too loud on your iPod), then maybe I can understand your angle. OR perhaps, you're refering to the fact that the 140ish dB siren is being drowned out by the 100+dB of mechanical and wind noise that a big car like that would make at full tilt?

Regardless, I see your point - it is difficult at best to ascertain the source of an emergency siren and take the proper precautions under ideal circumstances. Add to that limited sight from obstables/intersections, road/traffic noise, usual driving deistractions (music, cell phones) and throw a 180+mph closing speed to the mix and you have accidents waiting to happen.

Date: April 04, 2007 11:06AM

I listened to high speed a police chase on 66. The cop had pulled over a guy on a motorcycle and then the guy took off at over 120 mph on the shoulder of 66 in evening rush hour traffic.

They police cars were going 120 mph on the shoulder of 66 to catch the guy. They also had the helicopter. Finally after about 30 mintues, the commander called off the chase saying it to dangerous to continue.

I was pissed this guy was getting away, but then I thought, worse would be a cop smashing into a car at 120 mph. All it would take is for a soccer mom to pull onto the shoulder because she heard sirens... Smasho! Plus, I think the cop had the motorcycle license plate # and a description of the guy.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: April 04, 2007 04:33PM

Date: April 04, 2007 05:53PM

"OR perhaps, you're refering to the fact that the 140ish dB siren is being drowned out by the 100+dB of mechanical and wind noise that a big car like that would make at full tilt? "

that is my point, tried to keep it in the simple range. I am sure to the surviving families of those that are hit by the speeding cars over a traffic ticket, doppler and dB will be of small consolation.

Posted by: DebussysChild ()
Date: April 04, 2007 06:15PM

A word regarding those dodge chargers......

Just HOW often do you ACTUALLY end up chasing a runaway vehicle???
How often is it than ANYONE in Fairfax tries to evade the police????
Is all that horse power 100% absolutely necessary???

HELL NO.

Try putting that money into something that's ACTUALLY GOING TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

This is not a hit on police, but rather the dumb county official who decided that they should pull for more funding for the police dept. because they want to drive fancier cars. That's just a load of b/s.

I love the Charger, don't get me wrong, but isn't entrusting a COUNTY authority figure with a gun and handcuffs already pushing it? Let's not add icing to the cake.

Date: April 05, 2007 09:02AM

With all the crapolla that coppers have to carry around these days, I'd figure a Dodge Magnum with a storage system in the rear would be better suited to the job. Make it a V6 too to save on gas, maintenance, and acquisition. If/when Daimler/Chrysler gets those diesels in the Magnum, those would be perfect for the cops.

While they're at it, they should consider adding a second battery to run all the lights/electronics so they don't have to run the car (with the ac or heat on full blast to keep their coffee/bug gulp at the perfect temp) when they're doing traffic direction. It does seem a bit wasteful to see a big V8 idling away for hours at end with lights flashing and radio squaking while the cop is out directing traffic on foot.

Date: April 05, 2007 11:07AM

DebussysChild Wrote:
> A word regarding those dodge chargers......
>
> Just HOW often do you ACTUALLY end up chasing a
> runaway vehicle???
> How often is it than ANYONE in Fairfax tries to
> evade the police????
> Is all that horse power 100% absolutely
> necessary???
>
>
> HELL NO.
>
>
> Try putting that money into something that's
> ACTUALLY GOING TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
>
> This is not a hit on police, but rather the dumb
> county official who decided that they should pull
> for more funding for the police dept. because they
> want to drive fancier cars. That's just a load of
> b/s.
>
> I love the Charger, don't get me wrong, but isn't
> entrusting a COUNTY authority figure with a gun
> and handcuffs already pushing it? Let's not add
> icing to the cake.

You made a good point. This isn't LA or anywhere as dangerous as other cities; however I say we keep them beecause I want to steal and drive one, one day maybe.

Date: April 05, 2007 11:10AM

Might I also add that the Ford Crown Victorias are complete deathtraps. Even if it isn't the Charger, they need to get rid of those steel cages. I don't know about the rest of you, but I have followed police chases and crashes over the last decade. Vics have caused numerous deaths for many things. For example, over 30 officers have died as a result of the gas tank exploding in the Vics after getting hit in the rear by another car. They are also out of shape and bulgy to say the least. The Impala or any other car would be such a better choice than the Vics, I hope they remove them soon because I don't want any more officer and civilian fatalties because of a faulty car. That is all.

Date: April 05, 2007 12:27PM

Anybody have an idea how big the State trooper car fleet is? 100? 1000? State boys mainly write tickets on the interstates right?

Just wondering what percentage the 35 Chargers would be?

Posted by: duh ()
Date: April 05, 2007 10:38PM

VSP better stock up on spare parts for those Chargers.

Daimler confirmed yesterday that they are going to sell off Chrysler.

The suitors are a bunch of hedge funds....RIP, Chrysler.

Date: April 05, 2007 11:43PM

Seriously guys.

**Rest in peace Chrysler we're gonna miss you guys ='(**

I remember when the Ford Taurus and Chevy Monte Carlo were cut in the throat =(

Date: April 06, 2007 11:16AM

"Amrecian car makers" need to wise up. Pretty soon the only cars built in Amercia are going to be Toyota's.

Posted by: ShockTroop ()
Date: April 06, 2007 01:36PM

Lurker. Wrote:
> Anybody have an idea how big the State trooper car
> fleet is? 100? 1000? State boys mainly write
> tickets on the interstates right?
>
> Just wondering what percentage the 35 Chargers
> would be?

There are approximately 1300 sworn State Police Troopers last time I checked. They are assigned to patrol the interstates in Urban jurisdictions (Northern VA, Richmond, and Tidewater) but in other areas of the state, they patrol all state maintained roads.

Posted by: 4wheeler ()
Date: April 06, 2007 01:40PM

Lurker. Wrote:
> Anybody have an idea how big the State trooper car
> fleet is? 100? 1000? State boys mainly write
> tickets on the interstates right?
>
> Just wondering what percentage the 35 Chargers
> would be?

The name "State Police" might have been a giveaway. Otherwise they'd be called "Highway Patrol"

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: April 06, 2007 05:31PM

Saw one at 5:00 on 66West just inside the Beltway. The officer was on the right shoulder with lights flashing. When I passed and got into the 495 South exit, he moved into traffic and went after a speeder who was in front of me and tailgating a motorcycle for a couple of miles. The speeder got into the left lane and continued on 66 just before the cop. The cop pulled out into traffic with lights flashing and the traffic slowed down. He then pulled into the left lane and sped towards the speeder and got him.

The car really looks pretty intimidating up close with it lights flashing.

Posted by: AMG driver ()
Date: April 20, 2007 11:38AM

I have a Mercedes-Benz C55 AMG. There is no question that it will outperform (in every conceivable way) the new Virginia State Police Dodge Chargers with Hemi's. With the drop of the pedal, I'd be a blip in the windshields of police cars. I'm sure there are many of you out there with cars that are just as fast, if not faster, thinking that you could get away from the police even with their new Chargers. What we lack is the driver training, police training, radios, and resources that the police can pool together to stop us. Regardless of what we know about our cars' capabilities, as well as those of our own, the police will always be able to catch us. So while we know that in a car to car situation, we could easily dust the police...we don't have the advantage that they do. Next time we're on the road cruising at 80 to 90mph (being careful, of course), don't think about running, just pull over, roll down your window, and be nice. The police aren't out there to keep us from having fun, they're just keeping everything safe for everyone else.

Posted by: Oye yoe yoe ()
Date: April 22, 2007 04:18PM

saw a unmarked near exit 66 on 66 on the service road to dulles toll rd
unmarked red one chilln in the cut.. i was like woah

Posted by: Deputy Dawg ()
Date: April 26, 2007 06:16PM

Agreed... Safety is key.

Posted by: Enzo ()
Date: April 29, 2007 05:54PM

Actually the BMW got away. If you watch the video closely, you notice that when the BMW slams its breaks and crosses the median, its the same clip as when they say it breaks down. You also notice that they remove the time stamp at the very end.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: April 30, 2007 11:07AM

a few questions:

1) how many times have the cops needed a faster car in order to pull over someone.
2) how much more power do these cars have than the ones they are replacing
3) how much more money will these cost in comparison to the old cars?

i seriously think they are just buying toys now.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: April 30, 2007 11:09AM

I thought they obtained the cars via property forfeiture.

I'd like to know the answer tot hat also.. how many supercopcars are bought, and how many are taken?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2007 11:09AM by RESton Peace.

Date: April 30, 2007 11:50AM

They bought 32

Posted by: Chargers suck dick ()
Date: April 09, 2017 04:56PM

Faggots

Posted by: chargers are slow sauce ()
Date: April 09, 2017 05:49PM

4,000+ lbs, dated 5 speed transmission, a modern day 4 cylinder could smoke a charger

Posted by: Mike O'Meara Show Fan ()
Date: April 09, 2017 08:02PM

1Adam12 Wrote:
> Why all the HP? You couldn't chase a car in this
> area much above 70 mph anyway without killing some
> innocent person. There is no way this Dodge could
> run down a BMW or Mercedes.
>
> Besides every police car has a limit where it is
> moving faster than the siren can carry to warn
> other motorists ahead. In other words by the time
> you hear the siren it is passing you. Makes for a
> very dangerous situation.
>
> I know about the speed of sound and all that but
> believe me it is true.

Just to be clear, you're asking that no one point out the obvious fact that you're a huge retard? Sorry to disappoint you but I guess you're used to that by now, being a huge retard and all.

Posted by: stupidzzz ()
Date: April 09, 2017 08:32PM

Mike O'Meara Show Fan Wrote:
> 1Adam12 Wrote:
> -----
> > Why all the HP? You couldn't chase a car in
> this
> > area much above 70 mph anyway without killing
> some
> > innocent person. There is no way this Dodge
> could
> > run down a BMW or Mercedes.
> >
> > Besides every police car has a limit where it
> is
> > moving faster than the siren can carry to warn
> > other motorists ahead. In other words by the
> time
> > you hear the siren it is passing you. Makes for
> a
> > very dangerous situation.
> >
> > I know about the speed of sound and all that
> but
> > believe me it is true.
>
> Just to be clear, you're asking that no one point
> out the obvious fact that you're a huge retard?
> Sorry to disappoint you but I guess you're used to
> that by now, being a huge retard and all.

Almost almost as retarded as replying to a 10 year old post.

Posted by: Dodge Guy ()
Date: April 09, 2017 09:26PM

They are all gone. Had it on good authority they would top out at 150 MPH. State trooper chick told me so. She had hers up to 140 and caught a bike she was chasing.

Posted by: Any time now... ()
Date: April 09, 2017 09:35PM

chargers are slow sauce Wrote:
> 4,000+ lbs, dated 5 speed transmission, a modern
> day 4 cylinder could smoke a charger

Kindly provide proof of your claim, thanks.

Posted by: chargers are slow sauce ()
Date: April 09, 2017 10:05PM

Any time now... Wrote:
> chargers are slow sauce Wrote:
> -----
> > 4,000+ lbs, dated 5 speed transmission, a
> modern
> > day 4 cylinder could smoke a charger
>
>
>
>
> Kindly provide proof of your claim, thanks.

http://www.allpar.com/squads/police-cars/charger-police-testing.html

The Hemi got to 60 in 6.5 seconds, the 6 cylinder got there in a horribly slow 8.9 seconds

A base model BMW 328i with a turbo 4 cylinder will run circles around it, 0-60 in 5.2. Take them in to a corner and the 3,300lb BMW long gone. A naturally aspirated honda civic Si is faster, along with lots of other 4 cylinders. Chargers of that era are slooooww.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.