HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Tix
Posted by: Jake ()
Date: March 27, 2007 10:56PM

Got pulled over the other day and written a ticket for suspended license.
I asked the cop how he knew, he said, "I ran your tag".
I guess my question is, can he do that? All that information is my personal info. What right does he have to access that? What are my rights in a situation like this? Please help!!!!!!!!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: March 27, 2007 11:05PM

This is exactly the reason I use a car reg'ed to another, cleaner person

The answer is yes, he can ascertain that info from your reg info, pull the car over, and ID you. I've had it done to me.

I would fight it though. The defense would be that anyone could have been legally driving the car and the cop (maybe) had no pc to assume it was you.

Now if he pulled you over for something else, too, you are screwed. Or if the law says they can pull over any driver driving a car reg'd to a suspended person... but I do not believe this is the case.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: say what ()
Date: March 27, 2007 11:16PM

Before you get sympathy why was it suspended? Maybe you were running around with no insurance in which case you dont deserve to be driving. Maybe too many tickets or you didnt pay the ones you got.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: James ()
Date: March 27, 2007 11:42PM

He can "do that" because your car was being operated on a state-maintained roadway and each and every car needs to be properly registered. He can check the registration of any car he wants to.

A police officer doesn't need "PC" to stop you, just reasonable suspicion which is quite a lower threshhold than "probable cause." It's well within the realm of reasonable suspicion for the officer to check your registration to make certain it's properly registered. The registered owner's license information is automatically returned from the DMV whenever the license plate is checked. If you reasonably resemble the physical descriptors of the registered owner and that owner is not licensed, has a suspended operator's license, has outstanding warrants, etc, you can indeed be stopped so the situation can be checked out further.

I hope you are held accountable for your crime. Stop trying to look for loopholes from other miscreants on this board and start to take some responsibility.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: Jake ()
Date: March 27, 2007 11:59PM

They are just harrassing me because of a prior charge, asshole cops that say they found illegal Zoloft pills, and they assaulted me, doubled me over and shit. These assholes just singled me out, they have access to everything. They try to make this bogus shit hang over your head but they just are trying to turn you into a narc for drug bullshit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: March 28, 2007 12:58AM

You really should just shut up and get a lawyer.

It's the only sound advice for any legal question. Get a fucking lawyer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: SaMiViMa ()
Date: March 28, 2007 07:30AM

I was pulled over a LONG time ago for the same thing. Police officer said "You didn't do anything wrong. Your license came back as suspended and I wanted to see if it was really you driving."
Well, it was. But he let me go because I really had just gone to get my sick daughter from school, I was basically home, and I really didn't know it was suspended. I know most people say that, but I didn't. And honestly, it was so long ago when I was younger, and much more stupid, I really don't remember. Probably an unpaid ticket.
I do, however, want to say this. I usually stay out of the bickering that goes on back and forth here. I am not here to judge people and their attitudes. But I have noticed a trend. Seems as though when someone gets into trouble for something they have done wrong, it's always the "asshole" cops fault. Now, I have not been innocent in my life. I have been in trouble. All over 10 years ago though. No real record or anything, never been locked up. And, sometimes I hate the fact that the cops are out there waiting to catch you for doing wrong. However, that's just it. If I have done something wrong and get caught, how can I blame anyone but me? I am 38 years old. I have never had the police harass me and try to get me for things that I haven't done. And if I think about it, I have gotten away with a LOT.
So, I just wanted to say that. I don't mean any disrespect. Really. I just wanted to say that to me at least, and probably others as well, when someone starts harping about being harassed by the cops, it comes across as you probably having a record and your just bitter.
Nasty and rude comments will be ignored. And you will not hurt my feelings. So, productive discussion welcome.
Have a nice day. Supposed to be BEAUTIFUL!
WOOHOO for spring!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: March 28, 2007 07:44AM

I'll be the first to say I've never been pulled over by a cop who didn't have a reason.... some officers have been nicer and more relaxed than others is all.. and I occasionally get one who fails to follow procedure to a "T". I see nothing wrong with using procedure to get out of a ticket... that's why it's there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: Jake ()
Date: March 28, 2007 07:46AM

These cops yelled at me about getting a lawyer, trying to accuse of me having extasy and being high on shit. I sware that I wasn't, I didn't even do weed. The one cop kept swinging his arms around violently in a circle, trying to scare me or something, and they put me in cuffs and made me get down onto all fours while they frisked me, and the one guy shouted in my ears.


RESton Peace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You really should just shut up and get a lawyer.
>
> It's the only sound advice for any legal question.
> Get a fucking lawyer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: March 28, 2007 07:51AM

If all of this happened in front of a police car, it's likely on film. You'll want to file a complaint with the police... they will take it seriously and review all available evidence.

However, like most people who come on here and discuss this sort of thing, I suspect the tape will bear out you were beligerent to the cops in some way, causing them to behave in kind... just educated speculation on my part.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: March 28, 2007 07:52AM

Oh, and you should really consider doing weed and ecstacy. They feel awesome and it's no big deal if you do. Of course, for you, I would recommend doing it in a locked house.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: Jake ()
Date: March 28, 2007 08:01AM

The fucked up part about the whole thing is that as soon as I got home someone kept crank calling my house. At first they were just making barely audible squeaking noises But then the phone just started ringing off the hook and it turned into full fledged yelling and screaming on the other end. The calls were coming from a pay phone and lasted for almost a week. It was just too much of a coincidence.

RESton Peace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If all of this happened in front of a police car,
> it's likely on film. You'll want to file a
> complaint with the police... they will take it
> seriously and review all available evidence.
>
> However, like most people who come on here and
> discuss this sort of thing, I suspect the tape
> will bear out you were beligerent to the cops in
> some way, causing them to behave in kind... just
> educated speculation on my part.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: mariokart ()
Date: March 28, 2007 09:46AM

Imagine today's world without such great things like cameras. As society continues to go and time slips by, we will be more grateful for these new technologies as they come and help us see trouble that would normally go unrecognized and never brought up again. God bless, and good day.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: jake ()
Date: March 28, 2007 11:39AM

The Jake who responded is not me....
My license was suspended for switching insurance and not notifing the DMV. The cop was very respectful. I was just wondering if they could check your information. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: March 28, 2007 09:51PM

Yeah, your asking for trouble driving a car regsitered to a suspended license person

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: DUDE ()
Date: March 30, 2007 10:00AM

There is no way they can do that!!!!!!!! Your information is your information. They need probable cause to check your license. The just can't run your tag and hope to come up with something incriminating. Cops just can't access that without a warrant.
If they just check your information via your license plate, and then write you a ticket, don't sign the ticket. That is an unlawful arrest. Go to court and fight it!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: fd ()
Date: March 30, 2007 10:27AM

Dude,
You are incorrect. Your license plate is not yours, it belongs to the state of virginia. The state's license plate is in plainview (required to be by law) and can be run through a DMV database at any time by any police officer without probable cause or reasonable suspicion. If the officer wants to stop you based on a suspended hit all the officer has to do is match the description of the driver to the suspended vehicle owner. You have many rights in this country but privacy with your DMV information is not one of them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: fd ()
Date: March 30, 2007 10:28AM

oh and dude by all means please dont sign the ticket cause that always works out well.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: Troy ()
Date: March 30, 2007 10:40AM

I agree with Dude. That is total BS. There is no way they can do that.
fd, the plate is yours, its on your car and you pay for it

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: March 30, 2007 12:30PM

Cops run tags all the time at lights, in parking lots, driving down the road. Perfectly legal, encouraged and part of a patrol. A lot of stolen cars are found that way.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: Dude is Stupid ()
Date: March 30, 2007 12:37PM

that is all

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: DUDE ()
Date: March 30, 2007 12:43PM

cops CANNOT run your tag. it is illegal!!!!!!!!!!!! and against your constutional rights.
you have a right to a private life. no one can infringe upon that. you have a right to drive a car without someone knowing who you are.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: March 30, 2007 01:31PM

Dude is wrong and has no clue about constitutional law, but go ahead and listen to him if you want to emulate a moron.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: 4wheeler ()
Date: March 30, 2007 02:31PM

Jake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Got pulled over the other day and written a ticket
> for suspended license.
> I asked the cop how he knew, he said, "I ran your
> tag".
> I guess my question is, can he do that? All that
> information is my personal info. What right does
> he have to access that? What are my rights in a
> situation like this? Please help!!!!!!!!!!!


You are just pissed because you got caught driving on a suspended licence...Yes, they can do that. No, it's not "your" tag, it belongs to the DMV, why do you think you have to return them back to them if you sell your car.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: jake ()
Date: March 30, 2007 03:01PM

i'm not pissed. i just asked a question....
read all of the posts before you add your two cents. you sound like an idiot

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: 4wheeler ()
Date: March 30, 2007 03:10PM

sorry .,... did i hurt you feelings ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: March 30, 2007 03:16PM

hmm this case sounds familiar. Paris is that you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: March 30, 2007 03:32PM

DUDE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> cops CANNOT run your tag. it is
> illegal!!!!!!!!!!!! and against your constutional
> rights.
> you have a right to a private life. no one can
> infringe upon that. you have a right to drive a
> car without someone knowing who you are.

Did you ride the short bus to school?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: HITMAN ()
Date: March 30, 2007 03:47PM

furfux wrote:
hmm this case sounds familiar. Paris is that you?

in da house.....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: cherrytop ()
Date: March 30, 2007 04:41PM

Thats hot

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: ??? ()
Date: March 30, 2007 06:05PM

The driver who got the ticket is probably a birkenstocks wearing, liberal whiner. The arresting officer should have thrown him over the hood and shoved the barrel of his gun under his chin and DEMANDED if the scumbag KNEW he was putting mothers, children and the elderly at risk for his stupidity? No good American would drive on a suspended license! hippy SCUM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: Trogdor! ()
Date: March 30, 2007 08:23PM

If you were driving on a suspended license, I can tell you for a fact that the judge is not going to care about anything else you have to say.

Cops can pull you freaking blood if they suspect you're DUI , do you honestly think they can't run your plates? Clearly he had a suspicion about you, and it turned out to be right.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: Trogdor! ()
Date: March 30, 2007 08:30PM

Oh...looks like this has already made it to the courts (6th Circuit Court of Appeals) on Sept 5, 2006. The court ruled that "...a motorist has no reasonable expectation of privacy in the information contained on his license plate under the Fourth Amendment...The very purpose of a license plate number, like that of a Vehicle Identification Number, is to provide identifying information to law enforcement officials and others."

http://news.com.com/Police+blotter+When+can+cops+run+license-plate+searches/2100-1030_3-6116296.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: DUDE ()
Date: March 31, 2007 12:25PM

6th circuit court of appeals....that was in michgan. last i checked we're in virginia. YOU CANOT CHECK A PERSONS LICENSE PLATE!!!!!!!!!!! its against the law. cops have NO right to do that.
i will take this to court and everyone of you will see that i'm right.
remember, cops have no right to invade your privacy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: Trogdor! ()
Date: March 31, 2007 12:51PM

Ok, you're right. The judges of the 4th circuit are going to value Dude's logic "YOU CANNOT..." over the precedent opinion of their colleague judges in the 6th circuit?

You are correct that the 4th is not bound by decisions of the 6th, but circuit courts frequently cite the law of other circuits as precedent. I'd be willing to bet that your opinion has never been cited in any US court.

Since you say it's "against the law" do you have a legal cite for that? I can't find anything in the Virginia code http://leg1.state.va.us/000/src.htm.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: March 31, 2007 01:05PM

I believe dude's overlying precedent on the matter is illegal unwarranted search.

I don't see how that can be, since the plates are designed to be public identifying information, a large and unique set of characters that are made deliberately to facilitate retrieval of records related to the vehicle.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: DUDE ()
Date: March 31, 2007 03:02PM

of coarse you can view the plates in public. my arguement is that you cannot view them in public and use the information you recievced to gather information and use that against them in a court of law. its against the law!!!!!!!
in other words, the police cannot arrest you and check you're information without a warrant.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: 4wheeler ()
Date: April 01, 2007 06:05AM

Jake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They are just harrassing me because of a prior
> charge, asshole cops that say they found illegal
> Zoloft pills, and they assaulted me, doubled me
> over and shit. These assholes just singled me
> out, they have access to everything. They try to
> make this bogus shit hang over your head but they
> just are trying to turn you into a narc for drug
> bullshit.


And how did you end up with "illegal Zoloft pills" in you possesion?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: myspaceaddict ()
Date: April 01, 2007 11:16PM

4wheeler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And how did you end up with "illegal Zoloft pills"
> in you possesion?


LMFAO.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: mrheebers ()
Date: April 02, 2007 12:38AM

i don't know if it is a fact or not..but I heard from a VA State Trooper at a VCIN (Virginia Criminal Information Network) training session at the Lessburg Academy that cops CANNOT just run your tags for shits and giggles..they HAVE to have reasonable suspicion (not probable cause which is harder to prove) to do so.. BUT he also said many juridaictions do so and get away with it on a regular basis... on the other hand, have fun proving in court that a cop lacked reasonable suspicion for simply running your tags, they could easily say your vehicle matched the description of a stolen car or that your driving was erratic which would allow them to legally run your tags..and if any of you all are interested..you have the right to go to the dmv and find out when/if your records have been querried by law enforcement personel..this will usually give you a date and some kind of identifying information as to just who is running record checks on you



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2007 12:54AM by mrheebers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: 4966 ()
Date: April 02, 2007 12:26PM

We will read about DUDE in the paper. A mysterious death in a fairfax county cell.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: Heather ()
Date: April 03, 2007 02:04PM

"The driver who got the ticket is probably a birkenstocks wearing, liberal whiner."

Damn liberals giving Birks a bad rep. I'm a Birkenstock wearing moderate Conservative. It's important to be comfortable and maintain proper form and posture for effective hippie bashing.

Dude is moron. It is NOT "against the law" for the cops to run your information and stop you if you're shit is not straight. If, after stopping you, they find reasonable cause to arrest you, you'll be taking a ride. Quite honestly, it should be a criminal offense to be unable to comprehend the Constitution and your own legal rights.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: April 03, 2007 04:21PM

Of course the police can run your tag. They do that all the time. In fact, private investigators and insurance companies can also run your tag. I used to do that on a regular basis when I worked as a PI. PI forms are given a special code so they can run a tag. Supposedly, the information is supposed to be used in court. People used to pay us money to do a search to see if someone had a lot of traffic convictions. We used to also run the plate to find out who was who in an adultery case.
My suggestion to the original poster is to stop doing illegal things and you would have nothing to worry about.
Trickie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tix
Posted by: Enough already ()
Date: September 09, 2020 06:41PM

.

Options: ReplyQuote


Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
 ********  **              **  **     **  **      ** 
    **     **              **  **     **  **  **  ** 
    **     **              **  **     **  **  **  ** 
    **     **              **  **     **  **  **  ** 
    **     **        **    **  **     **  **  **  ** 
    **     **        **    **  **     **  **  **  ** 
    **     ********   ******    *******    ***  ***  
This forum powered by Phorum.