HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Trump orders review of Pentagon’s JEDI cloud computing contract
Posted by: Barrickman ()
Date: November 18, 2019 12:55PM

On Thursday, newly installed Secretary of Defense Mark Epstein halted Pentagon plans to announce the winner of the rights to its lucrative $10 billion cloud service overhaul, the Joint Enterprise Defense Infrastructure project (JEDI), citing needs for further “examination” of the massive contract. “I’ve heard from folks in the administration, so I owe, as the new guy coming in, a fresh look at [the contract, to] study it, make sure I understand all the different factors … I’m going to take a hard look at it. We’re not going to be making any decisions soon until I’m comfortable with where it is,” Esper told the Washington Post. The review will likely prolong the final announcement, originally slated for this month, by several months.

Last month, Trump spoke about the status of JEDI at a press event, declaring “I’m getting tremendous complaints about the contract with the Pentagon and with Amazon. … They’re saying it wasn’t competitively bid … Some of the greatest companies in the world are complaining about it, having to do with Amazon and the Department of Defense, and I will be asking them to look at it very closely to see what’s going on.” As late as last week, Pentagon spokesperson Elissa Smith defended the Pentagon’s conduct, sharply rebuking Oracle officials: “DOD officials directly involved in the work of this procurement … related to JEDI have always placed the interests of the warfighter first and have acted without bias, prejudice, or self-interest. The same cannot be said of all parties to the debate over JEDI.” The conflict over JEDI appears to be moving along two planes. On one hand, there are the complaints of rival tech firms Oracle, Microsoft and IBM, who lack a competitive edge over the cloud technology that Amazon possesses. Their hope in seeking a review of the bidding process is to force the Pentagon to break the $10 billion JEDI project into smaller, individual contracts which will allow them a foot in the door as the military’s demand for cloud technology grows.

The WSWS has already documented the incestuous relations between the military-industrial complex and Amazon. The web giant is among the few private sector technology firms which has security clearance to manage top secret Defense Department data. For their part, Pentagon officials have opposed “splitting” the contract among various firms. According to DefenseOne, Pentagon officials felt “those smaller solutions, when pieced together, would only bring more of what JEDI is intended to fix.” At the same time, Trump’s opposition to Amazon seems at least partially motivated by administration fears of a technology firm so closely identified with the administration’s establishment opponents gaining such an integral foothold within the nation’s military infrastructure. Trump has regularly attacked Bezos on social media and in official statements. Last year, Trump urged the US Postmaster General to double the shipping rates for Amazon deliveries, although the demand was never implemented.

As the crisis of US capitalism intensifies, the ruling class factions surrounding Trump and his opponents in the Democratic Party are making ever more overt appeals to the military and intelligence agencies as a means of mitigating disputes. The Bezos-owned Post noted that Oracle Executive Vice President Ken Glueck created a “colorful flow chart labeled ‘A Conspiracy To Create A Ten Year DoD Cloud Monopoly’ that portrayed connections among Amazon executives, Mattis and officials from the Obama administration." Notably, the Post added, “That graphic made it to Trump’s desk and led to a discussion between the president and his aides, people familiar with the matter said.”
Attachments:
NDJBSOVJSEI6TI5GVNTQSYW3AU.jpg
jedi-560.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trump orders review of Pentagon’s JEDI cloud computing contract
Posted by: jksadfgrh ()
Date: November 18, 2019 06:06PM

AWS had a better solution and was less expensive. Government contracts these days are LPTA (lowest price technically acceptable). There should be an investigation.

Posted by: Solitary Man ()
Date: April 28, 2020 10:56PM

Since cloud computing is developing more and more attention it gets from different structures which include political too (unfortunately). But that's how it always works. Today many companies offer cloud solutions but not all of them really experienced and reliable. I know much about Salesforce. I've dealt with them for a couple of times. You can check salesforce developer contract rates if you are interested in their services.

Posted by: 9dfjfj ()
Date: April 29, 2020 03:43PM

does that mean i have to stop download source code from their website ?

Posted by: 7DH77 ()
Date: November 21, 2020 03:28AM

Posted by: KXXYJ ()
Date: November 21, 2020 04:45AM

Posted by: KVD7M ()
Date: November 21, 2020 02:35PM

Posted by: FECCB ()
Date: November 21, 2020 03:15PM

Posted by: KEC4G ()
Date: November 21, 2020 03:52PM

Posted by: YNHBJ ()
Date: November 21, 2020 05:28PM

Posted by: UGPNM ()
Date: November 23, 2020 06:43PM

Posted by: 4D9TJ ()
Date: November 24, 2020 05:50PM

Posted by: D7VKG ()
Date: November 25, 2020 02:21PM

Posted by: DLY4Y ()
Date: November 25, 2020 07:24PM

Posted by: VNXHD ()
Date: November 27, 2020 01:31AM

Posted by: CWC9Y ()
Date: November 30, 2020 10:10AM

Posted by: J6YGC ()
Date: November 30, 2020 09:25PM

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.