HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Driver Improvement school
Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: March 22, 2007 10:34AM

My son has to go to a driver improvement school or course. Where can he find one and how long do they take? Thanks,
Trickie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Driver Improvement school
Posted by: pgens ()
Date: March 22, 2007 11:41AM

I took one at AAA many years ago. It was a half day or something like that.

Posted by: vthokies ()
Date: March 22, 2007 12:39PM

Posted by: 703-4-Life ()
Date: March 22, 2007 01:01PM

GO TO KEITH'S DRIVING SCHOOL! They are the best in the business! Their driving improvement course is great!

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: March 22, 2007 01:03PM

join the Army. They teach you to drive anything with Wheels, Tracks or treads! All for FREE!

Posted by: mariokart ()
Date: March 22, 2007 04:18PM

FUCK KEITH DUDE
I DID AAA, GOD DAMN THEY DIDN'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT HOW I EVEN DROVE, EASY CRUSIN' MAN! MY INSTRUCTOR WAS ON HIS CELL PHONE THE ENTIRE TIME AND EVEN TOLD ME TO GO TO HIS HOUSE BECAUSE HE NEEDED TO A TAKE A SHIT OR SOMETHING, I"M NOT EVEN KIDDING.

Posted by: DoubleDeckerTripleBypassSonOFABitch ()
Date: March 22, 2007 04:29PM

oh for crying out loud. If the lil SOB got himself in the predicament of having to take a drivers ed course then make him found a course HIMSELF! and if he doesnt then take away things he cares about to MAKE HIM FIND ONE. instill some self reliance in that boy and make him a man!

Posted by: Trogdor! ()
Date: March 24, 2007 11:29AM

I just did one on-line with drivinguniversity.com..found on the VA DMV website. It was like $50. Takes probably 5 hours of reading, then you have to go to a testing center (around here that was a Kinkos) and then take the final. Then you had to fax them a form. All told, the testing part cost me another $6.00. But I didn't have to sit in class for 8 hours. Not all courts accept Internet courses approved by the DMV...so check that first.

Date: March 24, 2007 11:53AM

Thanks. I will check this out. I hope the Fairfax County courts will accept it.

Trickie

Posted by: Lurker ()
Date: March 24, 2007 05:58PM

What did your son do Trickie?

Date: March 25, 2007 06:59PM

Lurker,

My son did something really bad. He was with his friends on New Year's Eve in a hotel room. They were making too much noise so the Fairfax City police came. They found alcohol and drugs in the hotel room. Plus a girl who was almost 18 but not quite. My son got arrested and lost his license. He has paid all the fines and the restitution but he has to take a driver improvement class aftet 18 months of being on probation.
We have been very disappointed in him as we raised him to be a good citizen and not use illegal drugs. Finally, he is beginning to mature and hopefully, he will avoid such temptations in the future.

Trickie

Date: March 25, 2007 11:41PM

I've never really figured out the "get a hotel room and party." But, when I was 18 it was legal to drink beer. We had some field parties and the cops just slapped our hands and said "Don't do this again!"

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: March 26, 2007 12:25AM

I've never really figured out the "get a hotel room and party."

Kids around here don't really have the opportunity to have field parties. There's not alot of open public land here to do that, and there are alot of cops. I grew up in rural PA in the late 80's, where field parties were the only option: you could drive into the middle of nowhere, drag a keg up a steep hillsde and drink beer with friends in 30 degree weather...there were only 2 cops in the whole county, so we'd never get caught. But these suburban FFX kids, they can't do shit like that, so why not rent a hotel room to do the same thing (drink alot and do the peer-pressured stuff they can't do at home). It's all part of growing up no matter how you do it.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: March 26, 2007 12:28AM

I grew up in the reston area, and field parties were pretty normal. it's just a term for grabbing booze and hanging out in an outside area that's remote enough to not attract cops.

We would drive out to loudon a lot... I admit if we were in fairfax the parties were in public parks or little league fields or somesuch..

Posted by: Hambone ()
Date: March 26, 2007 06:53AM

It probably depends upon when you grew up in Fairfax mostly. There's a hell of a lot less open land now then there was 10 years ago even.

I was in HS back in the mid-90's and nobody I knew did "field parties". My friends would rent a cheap a hotel room at the shitty Ancourage Motel in Fairfax City and get sloshed. And yes, the cops busted them there too...

Posted by: Hambone ()
Date: March 26, 2007 06:57AM

Oh, and for what it's worth, I vouch for Keith's Driving School as well. Everyone I knew went to them back in the day. And everyone wanted to have Keith as their instructor because supposedly he taught behind the wheel in a camaro.

They've got a website:
http://www.keithsdrivingschool.org/

Date: March 26, 2007 08:42AM

I thought you had to be 21 to rent a hotel room? How do High School kids get them?

Date: March 26, 2007 08:44AM

I've never had to be older than 18. Credit card seems to be the main requirment.

Oh yeah and the anchorage..is not exactly the Hyatt. I'm sure a kid could grease some motherfucker if they needed to.

Date: March 26, 2007 08:51AM

Thank you for the links about the driver improvement courses. I will make sure he takes one. I understand about kids wanting to have fun. I grew up in northern Ohio back in the 60's and yes, we had field parties too. There were many cornfields and at age 18, we could drink 3.2 beer. My problem and what I don't understand is the drug involvement. Drugs were not a part of our fun back then. They were illegal and difficult to obtain as well as expensive. As Jimmy Buffett sang, "Only jazz musicians were smoking marijuana." Of course, that all changed as my generation entered colleges in droves.
Now that I am a parent, the playing field and the consequences have changed drastically forty years later. One of the most difficult times of my life was trying to raise a teen around here in this current area and generation. It has been mind - boggling to say the least and I sometimes feel like a hypocrite and a prison warden at the same time.
But I appreciate your advice and thank you.

Hugs, Trickie

Posted by: Trickie's Son ()
Date: March 26, 2007 10:30AM

What did your son do Trickie?

I got drunk and woke up in a hotel room with a sore butt...

Posted by: upwardlook ()
Date: April 08, 2007 09:38PM

Safety First Driving School is the best if he lives in the Richmond area. They use National Safety Council materials. There is no better program anywhere. You can possible take it for $45 there. Otherwise Check www.dmvnow.com for a list of schools. If he is old enough he can take it on- line if he is 20 or older.

Date: April 08, 2007 10:38PM

He took his class last week. it was at the Comfort Inn near Springfield Mall. The cost was $75 and they gave him a certificate he can take to court. Thanks for the advice.

Trickie

Date: April 08, 2007 11:13PM

lol trickie, I know a guy who was in that exact same class...

Date: April 09, 2007 12:13PM

I hope he passed too. All I saw were young women. I hope my kid learns his lesson.
Hugs to Reston Peace,

Trickie

Posted by: Driving while Asian ()
Date: March 21, 2016 06:48PM

Are you guys Asian?

Posted by: wryjbh ()
Date: March 22, 2016 06:48PM

Too bad Walter drving school isn't still around. That guy was a legend.

Posted by: WALTER!!!!!!!! ()
Date: March 22, 2016 10:49PM

wow I haven't heared about walter in 10 years. He was a fucking g

Posted by: kaldmvc ()
Date: March 23, 2016 03:49PM

He was my instructor too!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.