HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fort Meyer TV go bye bye?
Posted by: Bill Emco ()
Date: March 16, 2010 01:09PM

This old fart actually remembers when Ft. Meyer TV was in Ft. Meyer area. Later moved to Pan Am shopping center and ended up in Vienna for a number of years. Saw the other day it had vacated the premises. Noticing a lot of small retail businesses are biting the dust in the Fairfax City/ Vienna area in the last month or so. Is this going on throughout Fairfax County?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fort Meyer TV go bye bye?
Posted by: Nope they moved ()
Date: March 16, 2010 03:03PM

Dude they probably just moved again. Duh.

Posted by: NegativeDreamStealer ()
Date: March 16, 2010 05:18PM

Yes, a number of commercial spaces in Vienna are sitting vacant. Most of them housed businesses that were doomed anyhow. The recession simply finished the job.

Yet the mattress stores live on.

Posted by: sum young guy ()
Date: March 17, 2010 03:29AM

Despite the recession I don't think I've seen one nail salon shut down. I even think a few more have opened up in my area. does something else happen in these nail salons besides nail touch ups?

Posted by: Victor ()
Date: March 17, 2010 11:52PM

Noticed today another old tv repair place is no more. TV Anotronics(?) on Washington St. in Falls Church across from the German Deli sort of. I believe that brings to end small tv repair shops in the northern part of Fairfax county. Been looking for a large outdoor tv antenna. Last place I know of that might have them is a hardware store out in Manassas on Euclid Ave. Seeing a lot of small busineesses in Fairfax City going away in the last month. Is the local economy really getting better?

Posted by: Yesterday is gone ()
Date: March 20, 2010 03:08AM

See the Phouc Loc market in Fairfax City has gone. Shopping center were the thrift shop Yesterday's Rose is. I believe the old Phouc Loc had been in that location some 15+ years? Was it one of first stores outside of Lil' Vietnam in Clarendon? Noticed a few more small retail businesses in the Kamp Washington area of Fairfax City have also recently bit dust.

Posted by: Nova_lifer ()
Date: March 20, 2010 08:37AM

There is a guy in Vienna (Oakton TV & Electronics) who repairs electronic equipment out of his garage. I've taken old TVs to him and he repaired them for less than $100. Hardest part was for me to carrying these old sets in and out of the house. Yes I do have one HDTV and will buy another the next time one of these old sets needs repair.

Posted by: Nova_lifer ()
Date: March 20, 2010 08:43AM

BTW I remembered Fort Myer TV burning down years ago. I thought that was the end of the business but I believe it was rebuilt before moving to the Nutley location.

Posted by: johnnybob ()
Date: May 17, 2010 09:50PM

If they show up, let me know. I had a TV there for repair and they have vanished with it.

I doubt that they will reopen elsewhere. The new HD TVs are not repaired in the same manner as older tube TVs and parts for a flatscreen run almost as much as a new set. They were not going to order new parts for mine - they were "waiting" for a used part to become available on the secondary market.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: May 18, 2010 10:01AM

NegativeDreamStealer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, a number of commercial spaces in Vienna are
> sitting vacant. Most of them housed businesses
> that were doomed anyhow. The recession simply
> finished the job.
>
> Yet the mattress stores live on.

Don't worry, we need a couple more banks in Vienna.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.