HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Can Mason Basketball Win the CAA Tournament This Weekend?
Posted by: Opus ()
Date: March 05, 2010 02:44PM

Can George Mason win the CAA tournament? I'm guessing #4 Mason will end up playing #5 VCU, VCU is playing now and should win their game today. #1 Old Dominion will play #8 Towson so they should win easy.

If Mason beats VCU then Mason has to play #1 Old Dominion, that's not going to be an easy win.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can Mason Basketball Win the CAA Tournament This Weekend?
Date: March 05, 2010 02:45PM

Posted by: Vlad Moldonaveuaauau ()
Date: March 05, 2010 03:00PM

If Cam Long shows up and they actually hit their free throws anything is possible in tournament play.

Posted by: jhey ()
Date: March 05, 2010 03:42PM

I'd love to see Mason win the CAA and get paired against Georgetown or Maryland in the 1st round of the NCAA, as it's pretty much the only way either Georgetown or Maryland would agree to play Mason. It's possible, since Georgetown and Maryland would be seeded pretty high (3 or 4) and Mason would be seeded pretty low (13 or 14).

Date: March 05, 2010 04:33PM

VCU won, so George Mason will play VCU tomorrow at 2:30pm

Posted by: comcast ()
Date: March 05, 2010 05:06PM

jhey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd love to see Mason win the CAA and get paired
> against Georgetown or Maryland in the 1st round of
> the NCAA, as it's pretty much the only way either
> Georgetown or Maryland would agree to play Mason.
> It's possible, since Georgetown and Maryland would
> be seeded pretty high (3 or 4) and Mason would be
> seeded pretty low (13 or 14).

Mason played at Comcast 4 or 5 yers ago

Posted by: CAA Fan ()
Date: March 05, 2010 05:26PM

Interesting you mentioned Georgetown. Old Dominion played Georgetown this year and crushed them.

Posted by: Bob in Southeast Loudoun ()
Date: March 05, 2010 05:35PM

They certainly have the talent to do so, but they are still very young. This team will be a CAA monster for the next 2-3 years. I expect at least one NCAA appearance if not more. Coach Larranaga has built a very nice program in Fairfax.

Posted by: West ()
Date: March 05, 2010 06:14PM

Bob in Southeast Loudoun Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They certainly have the talent to do so, but they
> are still very young. This team will be a CAA
> monster for the next 2-3 years. I expect at least
> one NCAA appearance if not more. Coach Larranaga
> has built a very nice program in Fairfax.

I'm not buying the "Mason is a young team." Yes, they do have a lot freshmen this year, but how much is their play going to increase over the next 2-3 years. If Mason talent is CAA #4 this year is might increase to CAA #3 over the next years.

Posted by: gmu_alum ()
Date: March 05, 2010 10:53PM

I've always said it before, and I'll say it again.

How the fuck is the CAA tournament held in Richmond every fucking year? With home field advantage giving some teams 10 points in point spread disparity among the same teams, how come VCU gets to be the host tournament every year?

On the game though, I seriously doubt Mason can do any damage in the tournament this year. The VCU/GMU game has been the championship games 2/3 years. I doubt Mason can go into Richmond and beat VCU with the crowd totally against them.

This is a rebuilding year for Mason. Mostly freshman, only one good player in Cam Long.

The CAA is has some solid teams this year. William and Mary started off the year HOT. Northeastern is actually a very good team this year. VCU has the only pro prospect in the CAA in Larry Sanders. I haven't even mentioned the #1 seed yet in Old Dominion.

The championship will likely come down to Northeastern and Old Dominion. VCU can sneak in, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if W&M pull an upset to get there. It's a shame that ODU doesn't have a signature win, so they likely would not get an at large. I think if Northeastern makes the tournament they will likely be the 12 seed that knocks off a 5 every year. We'll see though.

Date: March 05, 2010 11:44PM

I agree, Mason is getting a bad deal playing VCU at home. Also #5 VCU and #4 GMU is the most even match up. The rest, #1 ODU is playing #8. Northeastern #2 is playing a #7. #3 William and Mary is playing #11 JMU.

I think the reason the tournament is played in Richmond is it's middle of the geographic area for all schools. JMU, GMU, VCU, ODU and W&M fans can actually drive to the tournament.

MY guess is the tournament will end up being Northeastern and Old Dominion.

Old Dominion has a signature win over Georgetown this year, so probably they will get the NCAA bid.

Posted by: DMV4LILFE ()
Date: March 06, 2010 01:52AM

Mason in Richmond against VCU is going to be a hard one for Mason to win.
I do think Mason will do some serious damage next year in both the CAA and NCAA as well as the following year. I believe they are the only team to start 4 freshman for a majority of the year. GMU has never had that much raw talent on one team. I only wish they could sign a a big man. What Radford did to them in the paint this year was embarasssing.

Posted by: Bracket ()
Date: March 06, 2010 02:04PM

Mason may have some young players but so do a lot of the other CAA's teams. Old Dominion #1 in the CAA only has one senior playing this year. Northeastern #2 I think has only two seniors playing this year.

No surprise ODU is blowing out Towson at 56-86 right now. If Mason wins over VCU they will play Old Dominion and that will be a tough game.

Date: March 06, 2010 02:34PM

The game is on Comcast ch. 15 now.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: March 06, 2010 04:33PM

The answer is no. VCU defeats GMU, VCU-75 GMU-60. Mason fell apart under pressure, the last five minutes were embarrassing for George Mason.

Posted by: Bob in Southeast Loudoun ()
Date: March 06, 2010 09:38PM

"The answer is no. VCU defeats GMU, VCU-75 GMU-60. Mason fell apart under pressure, the last five minutes were embarrassing for George Mason."

As I said, and others echoed this was a very young team. They will get much better over the next couple of years. This was a good season for GMU and they might still get an NIT bid.

Posted by: nope ()
Date: March 06, 2010 09:52PM

Nope.

Posted by: Pope ()
Date: March 07, 2010 06:11PM

VCU's home court advantage is done now! Old Dominion defeated them and knocked them out.

Posted by: OX 722 at ODU ()
Date: March 07, 2010 08:33PM

Don't worry GMU, we hate the mess out of VCU in Norfolk, we weren't going to let them get any further.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.