HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
FCPS Make Time by Longer School Days
Posted by: Lane ()
Date: February 19, 2010 08:59AM

FCPS are going to announce that school days will be made longer to make up for snow days. Some days may also be taken away from holidays and Summer vacation.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS Make Time by Longer School Days
Posted by: VEIK ()
Date: February 19, 2010 09:16AM

Good.

Fuck em.

Posted by: Elle Diabla ()
Date: February 19, 2010 09:18AM

'I bomb that place!!'

Posted by: WOW ()
Date: February 19, 2010 09:20AM

For real? Where did you get this information from!?

Shut the fuck up. This is very old news.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: February 19, 2010 09:23AM

FCPS Superintendent Recommends Option for Makeup Days Due to Inclement Weather

Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) Superintendent Jack Dale has recommended turning a teacher workday on April 12 into a full day of school for all students and adding 30 minutes to each school day—including early release Mondays for elementary students—from March 8 through June 21 to make up four instructional days lost due to inclement weather. The Fairfax County School Board will consider this option, along with two others, at its meeting on February 17 and will vote at its meeting on March 4.

The Superintendent’s recommendation notes that schools following the modified calendar would hold a full day of school on Friday, April 16, which is designated as an intersession day. The Superintendent’s recommendation will generate an additional seven hours for standard calendar schools and four hours for modified calendar schools, which could allow for additional closures, delayed openings, or early dismissals that may occur during the remaining school year.

The second option would also turn the teacher workday for standard calendar schools and the intersession day for modified calendar schools in April into instructional days but would add 45 minutes to each school day—including early release Mondays—from March 8 through June 21. This option will generate an additional 24.25 hours (four days) for standard calendar schools and an additional 18.75 hours (three days and 2.25 hours) for modified calendar schools to deal with remaining closures, delayed openings, or early dismissals.

Option three would turn the teacher workday for standard calendar schools and the intersession day for modified calendar schools in April into instructional days and add makeup days to the end of the school year on June 23, 24, and 25. It would not add any time to the instructional day.

Parents are welcome to provide their input on the three options by:

o Becoming a fan of Fairfax County Public Schools on Facebook (www.facebook.com) and leaving comments on the FCPS page.
o E-mailing their School Board member SBMailbox@fcps.edu.
o Sending comments via e-mail to fcpsinfo@fcps.edu.

Posted by: Berdhuis ()
Date: February 21, 2010 08:45AM

I prefer Option 3 (where have I heard this before?) -

"Option three would turn the teacher workday for standard calendar schools and the intersession day for modified calendar schools in April into instructional days and add makeup days to the end of the school year on June 23, 24, and 25. It would not add any time to the instructional day."

The other two, which lengthen the school day (presumably at the end), would interfere with schedules of non-school affiliated extra-curricular activities - town league sports practices, for instance. Now, if the added 30 or 45 minutes were to be tacked on at the beginning of each day I'd be cool with that.

from Haiti,
Berdhuis

Posted by: Harry Tuttle ()
Date: February 21, 2010 04:56PM

Berdhuis, you arrogant bastard!

Posted by: curious ()
Date: February 22, 2010 06:04AM

I thinks the kids will be 30 minutes smarter.

Date: February 22, 2010 07:53AM

Harry Tuttle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Berdhuis, you arrogant bastard!

Mrs. Tuttle was my 3rd grade teacher at Flint Hill Elementary School; are you her son?

Posted by: Ynot ()
Date: February 22, 2010 01:08PM

Making the school day longer for the rest of the year is the best solution.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: February 22, 2010 08:43PM

Since they already made the teachers go in on that one day when students were given off, the students will now go in on a previously scheduled Teacher work-day. I like the daily extension as well. A family member of mine is a teacher, and they already go too many days as is, so they don't need to tack on anymore days to the end of the year (It will be pointless anyhow, because the SOL's are pre-scheduled by the state for a certain date, and any additional days in June will run past that date. In other words, there will be nothing to do on those extra days, and they're a complete waste of time).

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: Parent ()
Date: February 22, 2010 08:51PM

Keep them there longer, less daycare or camps I have to pay for..............

Posted by: OPus ()
Date: February 23, 2010 08:57AM

Parent Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Keep them there longer, less daycare or camps I
> have to pay for..............

It's a money saver, : )

Date: February 27, 2010 07:13AM

This, from FCPS this morning:

"Due to overwhelming parent and employee feedback, FCPS Superintendent Jack Dale has revised his recommendation to the School Board to make up four instructional days that have been lost due to inclement weather. He is recommending that FCPS follow the original 2009-10 calendar, which includes Monday, April 12, and June 23, 24, and 25 to make up the four-day deficit, and use June 28, 29, and 30 as subsequent makeup days, if needed. Dale is also recommending that the School Board allow him to seek a waiver from the Virginia Board of Education for the last three days in June, plus any future days that may be lost due to inclement weather. The School Board will make a final decision on the makeup plan at its regular business meeting on March 4."

I hope this is the adopted option, don't want to see the charlie foxtrot with an extended daily schedule conflicting with after school activities.

Posted by: Tim45 ()
Date: February 27, 2010 07:39AM

Attachments:
2233.jpg

Posted by: Cisco ()
Date: February 27, 2010 08:36AM

High school sucked so bad, i would rather work at McDonalds for the rest of my life and live in a shitty ass apartment, then go through that hell again.

The problem is, they don't teach you what you want to learn. Internet has gave me more knowledge about the world then High School ever could.

Posted by: Loser ()
Date: February 27, 2010 09:16AM

It's probably because you were retarded in high school, having a 2.0 or less GPA. You probably are working at McDonalds and are living in a shitty ass apartment. Damn, I feel sorry for your dumbass self. You are fucking pethetic.

Posted by: waste of time ()
Date: February 27, 2010 09:18AM

We did the same thing back in 1996 when i was in High school. We lost about 2 weeks of school due to the blizzard of 96. They added on 30 min to the day which equaled about 4 min to each of our 7 classes. really not worth it.

Posted by: say ()
Date: February 27, 2010 09:43AM

I remember FCPS making up snowdays on SATURDAY! Can you imagine the outcry if they suggested that in this day and age? LOL

Posted by: Pops ()
Date: March 03, 2010 08:42PM

That would be funny if they decided the kids had to go in on every Saturday from now until the end.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.