HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Credit card
Posted by: matthew ()
Date: February 03, 2007 11:30AM

allright, I received a credit card that I did not authorize from one of the local banks and I have also received a credit card for some guys name that have never lived here or in my neighborhood. what do i do?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Credit card
Posted by: pgens ()
Date: February 03, 2007 01:53PM

Return the cards to the local bank, then move all of your money to another bank. Don't do business with any bank that just sends credit cards without your say-so.

Credit card 2
Posted by: Matthew ()
Date: February 03, 2007 11:32AM

I have also looked into m credit report and noticed a maxed out credit card that I never had filed under my name and address, what the hell do i do ? this is kinda freaking me out

Re: Credit card 2
Posted by: duh ()
Date: February 03, 2007 11:37AM

Sounds like a little identity theft may be going on....you better get on it NOW.

Call the three credit reporting outfits and those banks immediately!

Posted by: slinkeyts ()
Date: February 03, 2007 12:19PM

well...
your fucked

Posted by: joe ()
Date: February 03, 2007 12:54PM

Give me all your credit card numbers, I'll fix it for you....

ROFL j/k

Posted by: snafu ()
Date: February 03, 2007 01:30PM

If you have the report in front of you there will be a contact number for the company that says you owe them. Contact them to make sure they have the right person. Also file a fraud report with the local police if someone has used your name. Most important contact the credit reporting agency to report the incident like transunion or whoever the report is under.
BTW if you have a common name it can be someone with the same name and date of birth, that happens alot.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: February 04, 2007 04:04PM

First, make sure that the credit card is not a debit card for an account you already have. Next, make sure the credit card was not issued to access a home equity or some other line of credit you established. This should take 5 minutes or less.

If no to those answers and I am guessing that the maxed out credit card you have no idea about is also true, then get ready for a fun time.

First call TransUnion, Equifax,and Experian and explain you may or are the victim of identity theft and put a "fraud alert" on your Social Security number with these agencies. Get the persons name you spoke to and most importantly, follow it up with a a letter re-iterating what you said and what they said. Send the letter Return Receipt Requested.

While doing this, stay off Fairfaxunderground and do not ask for help from people on the web with the exception of the Federal Trade Commission. While some of us at this site are friendly and helpful - others are not and certainly few of us are experts at Identity Theft.

An excellent resource is at http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/idtheft//
Read it, love it, live it!!!!!!

Good luck to you. If you are the victim of ID theft, you have your work cut out for you.

Posted by: cherrytop ()
Date: February 07, 2007 08:33PM

am i wrong or is he only liable for $50 bucks worth of that fraudulent maxed out credit card?

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: February 07, 2007 09:05PM

$50 or zero, depending on policies.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: February 08, 2007 09:22AM

pgens Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> $50 or zero, depending on policies

The law is very specific on this and you MUST jump through hoops to get this.

The $50 you refer to is probably for fraud on charges you did make and may be limitted to 50 or 100 mile radius from your state of residence.

Please check 115 U.S.C 1642, a law that says, basically, it is illegal to open up a account in someones name without them approving it. This law was written well before ID theft became a problem - those whacky 70's. It prevented credit card companies from sending out unsolicitated cards. But the law, as worded, actually protects ID theft victims to a point.

Unfortuneately, you may have to hire an attorney and sue the issuer of each frudulent account to get any relief. Again - get your ducks in a row, call the credit reporting angencies and put a fraud alert on your SS#, get your credit reports, scrutinize them, follow up with a certified letter to everyone you talk to reiterating what was said. Follow the FTC road map I provided.

Remember, the credit card companies make money issuing cards and charging interest. They with the Credit Reporting Agencies make it easy for you, or someone pretending to be you, to get credit cards. They designed the system for their benefit and ease of use. This is an uphill battle. It is winable, but it wont be easy.

Go to the library right now and get the book "What every Credit Card User Needs to Know" by Howard Strong. This will answer most of your questions.

Posted by: § ()
Date: February 08, 2007 02:11PM

Yes to all of the above, but from my ID theft experience, it will take plenty of follow-up on your part to ensure the fraudulent info. is removed from your credit report. Remember to get all account cancellations in writing. -§

Posted by: Enough already ()
Date: September 01, 2020 08:28PM

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.