HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
South Lakes varsity FB coach fired
Posted by: FMer ()
Date: January 27, 2010 07:51AM

It was about time this happened, with the RD the school was starting to close the talent gap with other schools in the Liberty District and I hear the upcoming class will be it's best ever. Anyone who saw the homecoming game vs. Langley knew this day was coming.

This from today's Washington Post:

South Lakes lets go coach

John Ellenberger has been let go as football coach at South Lakes after six seasons. Ellenberger's teams went 17-45, including a tenure-best 5-6 last fall, with three of the losses by five points or fewer.

"I think it's a program that can do a lot better than what I did with it," said Ellenberger, who was an assistant at South Lakes under three coaches before assuming the top job in 2004. "Overall, you've got to win more ballgames than what I won. I think in the long run it might be good for the school to get a breath of

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: South Lakes varsity FB coach fired
Posted by: Oppa ()
Date: January 27, 2010 08:01AM

I doubt this years SLHS is the best ever. When the South Lakes first opened in the early eighties it was the best school in Fairfax county with many graduates going to Ivy League schools.

This was back in the day when South Lakes gymnastics, tennis and golf teams were the best in the state.

Posted by: fx2 ()
Date: January 27, 2010 08:13AM

Who cares?

Posted by: Capt. Obvious ()
Date: January 27, 2010 08:21AM

fx2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who cares?

3 people and counting, dip shit.

Posted by: FMer ()
Date: January 27, 2010 09:12AM

Oppa Wrote:
> I doubt this years SLHS is the best ever. When
> the South Lakes first opened in the early eighties
> it was the best school in Fairfax county with many
> graduates going to Ivy League schools.
>
> This was back in the day when South Lakes
> gymnastics, tennis and golf teams were the best in
> the state.

I'm talking strictly football, not academics or a slew of individual sports that don't draw much interest outside of the parents and coaches directly involved. I'm not familiar with the full history of the school, did SL ever have a good football team?

Posted by: Wondering ()
Date: January 27, 2010 09:20AM

Just wondering how the Fox Mill/Floris/Madison Island folks who were redistricted to South Lakes feel now that two years have passed. Are you happy about being at South Lakes? Please let us know your feelings after so much controversy with the redistricting.

Posted by: Thomas More ()
Date: January 27, 2010 09:32AM

Football record against Herndon 3-24?

They had a couple of good teams in late 90's and early '00.

With that consistent record of losing what took'em so long. Or were they letting him finish graduate degree before they made the move.

They've fired the head boys basketball coach and the football coach. Who's next?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2010 09:35AM by Thomas More.

Posted by: VEIK ()
Date: January 27, 2010 09:44AM

Is this true?

Why is ESPN and other networks keeping quite about this major event?

Posted by: SLY ()
Date: January 27, 2010 11:24AM

Wondering Wrote:
> Just wondering how the Fox Mill/Floris/Madison
> Island folks who were redistricted to South Lakes
> feel now that two years have passed. Are you happy
> about being at South Lakes? Please let us know
> your feelings after so much controversy with the
> redistricting.

Yes we are happy. Are you?

Posted by: soccergay315 ()
Date: January 27, 2010 05:53PM

IB does teach you to write... ask any IB student who has gone through college. They come in ahead and more competent in their writing than their AP counterparts. IB teaches you to write beyond the formula that the SAT wants. South Lakes rocks.

Posted by: soccerguy315 ()
Date: January 30, 2010 11:19PM

lulz.

Posted by: HornetFAN1998 ()
Date: February 03, 2010 11:31AM

Does anyone know who South Lakes is looking at now?

Potential Coaches?

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: February 03, 2010 01:29PM

I hear Sean Lanigan is looking for a job.

Date: February 03, 2010 02:10PM

Who?

Posted by: Gonads & Strife ()
Date: February 03, 2010 02:38PM

ITRADE Wrote:
> I hear Sean Lanigan is looking for a job.

Football coach, ITRADE, not futbol. Besides, he'd only want to coach the powder-puff game...

Posted by: SL Parent ()
Date: February 04, 2010 11:56AM

I read on rivals.com that ex Park View Head Coach Andy Hill is looking to step up to a AAA program. South Lakes has an opening and so does Centreville. I think South Lakes has more talent than Centreville right now. I agree with the fact that this firing was long over due. That's what happens when the coach is the assistant AD and best friends with the AD. I think they should make an offer to the head coach at James Monroe in Fredericksburg. He has a successful track record.

Posted by: Benz ()
Date: February 04, 2010 03:05PM

The JV Coach from last season could be a winner.

Date: February 04, 2010 09:56PM

I hope to GOD you mean the Freshman Coach... The JV team hasnt done squat for 6 years!

Do you think they will hire within the program? I imagine that the job will be a hot spot.

Posted by: NSR ()
Date: February 04, 2010 11:35PM

JV squad didn't do squat because Coach E called all the moves and lead all the practices. Any body who tried to give it a shot got squashed by Mr. Ellenberger.

Posted by: SLalum ()
Date: February 05, 2010 02:20PM

Wow! Coach E was really running the JV too?

Oh Well.

Posted by: SLFBFan ()
Date: February 09, 2010 10:36AM

What's the latest with this position?

Posted by: Turrible Charles Barkley ()
Date: February 09, 2010 11:27AM

South Lakes are shit anyway.

Posted by: Fuck You Barkley ()
Date: February 09, 2010 11:36AM

South Lakes will be a force this year!!!!

They will beat Herndon too. I promise you that.

Posted by: Turrible Charles Barkley ()
Date: February 09, 2010 11:39AM

Fuck You Barkley Wrote:
> South Lakes will be a force this year!!!!
>
>
> They will beat Herndon too. I promise you that.

I promise you that Herndon sucks just as bad as South Lakes.

Posted by: SL Fan ()
Date: February 14, 2010 03:40PM

Any News?

Posted by: SkeeZY ()
Date: February 14, 2010 05:39PM

I haven't heard anything new... Anything on Centreville?

Posted by: JEBz ()
Date: February 15, 2010 09:56PM

Jeb Stuart?

Posted by: SL football Fan ()
Date: February 25, 2010 04:23PM

Andy Hill has been appointed the new FB coach for South Lakes as of Feb 24. He has an excellent record. The problem is that the many years the FB program has staggered, many decent players dropped out or transferred out to other programs. The major weakness now is the offensive line where any decent player will graduate this year and there are no decent replacements. Defense also has to step up as well.

Strong football and basketball programs add to the pride and performance of the kids. In the case of Hill's former QB and receiver, both received full scholarships to James Madison U and Princeton respectively. Hill seems instill the players with both skills and academic performance. We'll see.

Posted by: SL PLAYER ()
Date: February 25, 2010 04:31PM

Heard that Hill is a GREAT coach... I wonder how the kids will respond.

Posted by: SL Football fan ()
Date: February 25, 2010 05:03PM

I believe that Hill instill personal integrity/pride in his players, besides a focus on the X's and O's, as stated in a Loudon profile on him. If anything, whatever the skill sets for the current players, this is something I noted lacking in the SL teams. The other, it is the strict regimen of strategy training. Here is an article on his philosophy:

http://virginiapreps.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=914&CID=832168

Date: February 25, 2010 05:24PM

Someone commented on the JV coaching and team. JE would take the best players from JV and move him up to Varsity. This would leave the JV team understaffed. The freshman coach had accomplished a great deal with his team in the beginning, but the team wilted over the latter part of the season.

Last year, Herndon's JV team crushed the SL JV, but also note that the Herndon JV team had over 40 players, and SL struggled with 25. Even with the fact that the SL QB started the Herndon freshman team the year before.

A major problem with the SL football program is getting enough participants. Look at Herndon, Westfield, McLean, and others. Good coaches seem to attract more players. I hope that Coach Hill is capable of getting more players on the teams.

Posted by: lets give kudos ()
Date: February 25, 2010 05:47PM

SLHS won the Northern Region track championship last week. A good accomplishment in its own right, but also an indication (they have athletes) that they can put a good football team on the field. SL football fan is right - numbers are what makes for a great team.

Posted by: soccergay315 ()
Date: February 25, 2010 08:15PM

This is great news. South Lakes rocks.

Posted by: TX ()
Date: February 25, 2010 10:27PM

SL Football fan Wrote:
> Someone commented on the JV coaching and team. JE
> would take the best players from JV and move him
> up to Varsity. This would leave the JV team
> understaffed. The freshman coach had accomplished
> a great deal with his team in the beginning, but
> the team wilted over the latter part of the
> season.
>
> Last year, Herndon's JV team crushed the SL JV,
> but also note that the Herndon JV team had over 40
> players, and SL struggled with 25. Even with the
> fact that the SL QB started the Herndon freshman
> team the year before.
>
> A major problem with the SL football program is
> getting enough participants. Look at Herndon,
> Westfield, McLean, and others. Good coaches seem
> to attract more players. I hope that Coach Hill is
> capable of getting more players on the teams.

The kids on the freshmen team burnt out last year. Practices go on till very late in the evening, every evening. A lot of kids just quit, esp. the last two weeks of the season. Most of these kids will not return next year. Alot of the JV players JE pulled up were not ready for Varsity. Many of them were injured and ended up not playing at all for JV or Varsity.

Date: February 25, 2010 10:58PM

SL football Fan Wrote:
> In the case of Hill's former QB and receiver, both received full scholarships to James Madison U and Princeton respectively. Hill seems instill the players with both skills and academic performance.<

Two myths in one post:

Princeton is in the Ivy League which prohibits athletic scholarships. That student may have received a grant in aid based on need but full rides based on need are very rare as most families who aren't on welfare are expected by the Feds to contribute something to the cost of college. Even Princeton has to comply with the FASFA reg for need based scholarships. Maybe the student got a full ride based on academic merit but a Princeton merit scholarship would require a level of high school academic achievement that would be breathtaking.

James Madison is a D-IAA. NCAA rules for football teams in this division allow only 65 total scholarships and allow those scholarships to be split up so that several players can have partial scholarships totally one scholarship.

D-IA schools like UVA or MD can give out 85 football scholarship, but are "head count" teams, so that every scholarship player tends to get a full ride. Only D-IA football and basketball are "head count" sports for boys. Thus, very, very few boys playing any other sport at any other level of the NCAA are getting a "full ride." But coaches and parents like to brag. Just be somewhat skeptical until you see the NLI.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2010 09:04AM by Thomas More.

Posted by: Berdhuis ()
Date: February 26, 2010 07:52AM

lets give kudos Wrote:
> SLHS won the Northern Region track championship
> last week. A good accomplishment in its own
> right, but also an indication (they have athletes)
> that they can put a good football team on the
> field. SL football fan is right - numbers are
> what makes for a great team.

Congratulations to South Lakes on the Track championship - a great accomplishment! Distance runners must have done really well. How did the 4x400m relay team do?

Posted by: slhs did well ()
Date: February 26, 2010 09:28AM

Berdhuis - SLHS won with their sprint team (the 4 X 400 nucleus which won) and with jumps. Jumps are great point grabbers, but they take work and preparation on technique.

With the redistricting, one would expect that the middle and long distance events will improve. Razcko (former coach of Alan Webb) is coaching again at South Lakes, so track - and cross country - both great participation sports - will likely continue to improve.

The focus on track may seem a little over the top, but diversity in a school such as South Lakes can make for a great track squad. And bluntly put, track and field keeps kids in shape and out of trouble. It doesn't have the fanfare of the major sports, so the gratification in obtaining personal records is what it is about. And given that SLHS has taken some knocks here and there, I think it in the interest of balance and fairness to mention these kids that are doing well, working hard, and showing lots of discipline.

Date: February 26, 2010 11:35AM

I did not nitpick apart the issue of the scholarships, and I have noted that in one article cited that Andy Hill's football program supposedly produced 26 scholarships over the his years at Park View. I am familiar with the NCAA rules, and in the case of the Princeton scholarship, the athlete had a 4.3 GPA. But I have not seen any football athlete receiving scholarships from an Ivy League school with no less than a 3.6 GPA. Regardless of the FASFA rules, I have personally observed the these so-called Ivy League academic scholarships to such students had been given to encourage them to play football for the school! In other words, if the student had not played football rather well, would that student have received the scholarship for that school? It becomes a major factor for the admission as well as the scholarship. Look up Cole Marcoux, QB of Fieldston with a 3.9 GPA, whose Wall Street father can easily afford Dartmouth, but curiously still received a scholarship.

But even under JE, the current QB, Shawn, has received a couple of scholarship offers, one from BU, but he also has a 3.9 GPA. So even with a weak football program, students can receive athletic scholarship offers as long as their GPA is high. When I checked out Oakton, I was introduced to the coach and told that all his QBs received scholarships. Whether it is the byproduct of the football program or the athletes GPA, football does play a factor.

Posted by: sl football fan redux ()
Date: February 26, 2010 06:46PM

SL football fan - Thomas More is simply correct.

If a young man received a scholarship to Princeton, it was from outside sources and not the school. The Ivy League does not give any athletic aid, and merit awards are incredibly few. I have very good personal reason to know. Their financial aid programs (along with Harvard and Yale) are the best in the nation. A family making 120k a year will receive tuition reduction, and loans are not part of their aid package. One generally can't compare aid from HY or P to any other schools - their aid is the best lottery ticket that comes with admission. So while no knock intended on the young man with the 4.3 - a great thing for him - but let's realize he is just not there on an athletic scholarship of any kind. I actually think a good thing - he's there because he earned it and he clearly was recruited, which is what matters most at an Ivy program.

Note that Cornell was just disciplined by the Ivy League for toying with its student aid packages to the singular benefit of athletes. Cornell's defense was that it did not have the same financial aid muscle as HYP. The point being is that the Ivy League takes this seriously.

And Title IX has made Thomas More's statements about scholarships and non-revenue sports ever more accurate, at least when it comes to boys. I do not intend a rant on Title IX, but the college athletic scene for boys in non-revenue sports is thin, and getting worse.

In track and field two years ago, running a two mile time that put him in the top 10 or so in the college ranks, and setting a high school national record in so doing, a young man from California received very few full ride offers. This guy was the best thing since Alan Webb, both once in 25 year athletes (in Grant Hill and Alan Webb, SLHS has two athletes that even big time high schools will never experience in their existence). Big track schools like Oregon were giving him 1/2 offers. He ended up at Oklahoma State, which snared him because they ponied up the incredibly rare full ride. Most state champs at best are getting half rides. Minor sports scholarships are invariably partial, and I think most parents don't look at them objectively given the enormous professional athlete type time commitment that is required. Again, I have personal reasons to know this well, and as Thomas More does, I raise my eyebrow when parents make assertions about boys scholarships in sports other than basketball and football.

The unbalanced and daunting challenges of college athletics is one reason why having a great high school experience is sports is really important - most don't go on to the college ranks. Kids can develop skills and discipline and confidence to transfer to other endeavors, and in this vein, I can see why SLHS wants to put focus on athletic and football success. I wish the SLHS kids well - competitive athletics and academics are absolutely compatible, and nothing would raise the morale of the school like some great sports successes. Now if they would just offer an ample menu of AP classes.....

Date: February 26, 2010 08:11PM

SL Football fan Wrote:
> the current QB, Shawn, has received a couple of scholarship offers, one from BU,<

Which "BU" are you referring to? Boston University gave up football decades ago.

> all his QBs received scholarships.<

Getting 'book money" is getting a scholarship. I don't doubt that many QBs from Oakton got at least that.

The myth is the "full" scholarship for football players at D-IAA schools.

The Patriot League (D-IAA) also does not give athletic scholarships.

Absolutely true and wise for boys and girls to use sports to get into colleges which they might otherwise not get admitted to.

The issue was the claim of full rides. Most are exaggerations.

btw, the head count (full ride) women's sports are only D-IA basketball, tennis, volleyball and gymnastics but even many D-IA colleges do not fully fund their womens sports programs, so full rides cannot be obtain at all D-IA colleges offering those sports.

The problem for men's D-IA and D-IAA non-revenue sports is the crowding out of the athletic department budgets by the massive number of roster spots and scholarships given to football. While D-IA football gets 85 scholarships, soccer gets only 9, baseball 11.5. Womens D-I sports each get scholarships similar to the non-revenue men's sports. Smaller rosters for football would save wrestling and other non-revenue mens and womens sports. That's one reason Hofstra and Northeastern, both D-IAA, dropped football this year.

Date: February 27, 2010 11:11AM

Having attended one of the eponymous Ivy League schools as well as my brother who attended H, I generally deal with references and facts. The NY Times had written an excellent 5 part installment series on athletic scholarships, well researched, and backed by great statistical analysis -- http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/10/sports/10scholarships.html?emc=eta1. The articles analyze ALL athletic scholarships, whether football or any other, and break the scholarships down to sports. Interestingly, the largest scholarships go out for hockey. Football was ranked fourth. Track, swimming,etc. programs received fractional amounts. I suggest that the readers of this blog review the New York Times 2008 in-depth studies on athletic scholarships before presenting specious arguments, as I rely on those numbers more than I rely on other sources. And unless the bloggers have better numbers and studies than the NY Times, I will rely on that source.

The source of SL Varsity QB 's athletic scholarship was his father, and I only repeated his statement to me. He claimed it to be a full one. I never even checked to see about any football program at Boston University. He mentioned another college with a similar offering.

And in response to Princeton's scholarship, the Loudon news indicated that the student signed a letter of intent for Princeton in February at Park View. I generally construe such signed commitment to be sports related, not academic. I don't recall signing such a letter to attend my Ivy League school, and neither did my brother.

Posted by: Ivy Patriot ()
Date: February 27, 2010 12:01PM

the Loudon news indicated that the student signed a letter of intent for Princeton in February at Park View. I generally construe such signed commitment to be sports related, not academic. I don't recall signing such a letter to attend my Ivy League school, and neither did my brother.
--------------
The Ivy League does not use or recognize the Letter of Intent. When players "sign" something on "signing day," it is simply something made up to allow them to appear to do what the other conferences do.

Date: February 28, 2010 12:24AM

SL Football fan Wrote:
> Having attended one of the eponymous Ivy League schools as well as my brother who attended H, I generally deal with references and facts. The NY Times had written an excellent 5 part installment series on athletic scholarships, well researched, and backed by great statistical analysis -- http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/10/sports/10scholar ships.html?emc=eta1. The articles analyze ALL athletic scholarships, whether football or any other, and break the scholarships down to sports. Interestingly, the largest scholarships go out for hockey. Football was ranked fourth. Track, swimming,etc. programs received fractional amounts. I suggest that the readers of this blog review the New York Times 2008 in-depth studies on athletic scholarships before presenting specious arguments, as I rely on those numbers more than I rely on other sources. And unless the bloggers have better numbers and studies than the NY Times, I will rely on that source.<

The NYT story verified most of my prior posts, though claiming to do a "survey" that consisted of only 2 universities of the hundreds in D-IA, D-IAA and D-II is deceptive and pretentious. Using UDel was especially dumb because, as a state school with a small in-state population, its AD doesn't expect its coaches to fill out their rosters with only in-state players. Athletic departments budgets at state schools are charged for the scholarship based on whether the student is in-state or out of state. Thus, the NYT reporters ignored a dynamic that dominates most coaches recruiting strategies. Rutgers might have demonstrated this dynamic for these dopes.

Hockey scholarships would average higher in dollar value than football and basketball because a disproportionate number of hockey schools are private. Thus, a half scholarship to play hockey at the University of Denver (private) would be worth more in average dollar value than a full ride to an in-state football or basketball player at UNC. Further, the large number of Canadian hockey players would cause their public programs to be charged out of state tuition. Mixing scholarships for in-state, out of state, private colleges in D-IA, D-IAA and D-II and averaging them is a completely useless exercise.

Of the 120 D-IA universities playing football, only 17 are private universities. Thus, skewing the dollar value of the "full ride" football scholarship lower. Given the budgetary pressure on coaches at state schools to fill their rosters with in-state players, most football and basketball players at D-I schools are in-state kids, driving the average dollar value of those "full rides" even lower.

Lazy, smug NYT reporters headlining irrelevant analysis, demonstrating a lack of familiarity with the subject matter of which they write. Wow, what a surprise! Keep relying of those nitwits and not the NCAA website or those of us who've actually dealt with these issue for more than a decade.

Which brings up another insight, as one of the NYT stories referenced, given that most college athletic teams demand 2,000 hours or more per year from their players, even a "full ride" for an in-state D-IA football player or a D-I basketball player works out to less than minimum wage. The mom of the Villanova player getting $10k is dead wrong. Lots of jobs offer better than the $5/hour her scholarship equals. Better to work at the Mickey D's nearest campus.

Full rides at private schools, however, are true prizes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2010 01:40AM by Thomas More.

Posted by: PV Dad ()
Date: February 28, 2010 08:41AM

don't need to get into all of the details about college scholarships, but my son played at PV last year so i can clear up a lot of the wrong assumptions listed above.

Brandon Lee did receive a full scholarship to play at JMU. again, this was a FULL scholarship and not a partial in any way. while he played QB at PV, he also played on defense. at the signing ceremony coach hill explained how JMU expects him to play an OLB/SS role.

Tommy Sedeski signed a Likely Letter of Intent to play at Princeton. If anybody said that it was a scholarship they printed incorrect information. coach hill explained that ivy league schools do not give athletic scholarships but he expected that tommy would get money for his academic success. nobody from PV ever said he got a full athletic scholarship.

another kid signed with a D2 school for what coach hill said would combine with his federal grant money to be a full tuition scholarship, but the kid would still need to pay for room and board.

just clarifying. coach was good to our kids and will be good for the south lakes program, and he does get kids opportunities to play in college

Date: February 28, 2010 10:31AM

I have been a SL fan for 30 years and I want to know what kind of coach Hill is? Is he a good guy or a bullshitter?

Posted by: SL Football Fan ()
Date: February 28, 2010 01:07PM

For the SL Fan, I refer to an article in which Hill is being interviewed as to his coaching style. http://virginiapreps.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=914&CID=832168

But apparently, there is a Park View Dad in this blog who knows better about Hill from personal experience. I am glad that he states facts, not suppositions. BTW, I never stated that TS got an athletic scholarship, but I have observed academic scholarships given to scholar/athletes to Ivy League Schools, because the student IS an athlete as well. It becomes a criterium for admission. I certainly found it strange that my Ivy League applications had open half a page slot for athletics.

My concern is how will the current stable of players will react to the new coach, after having disappointing seasons and attitudes? Assuming that the observation on what happened to the freshman team, can Hill correct the problems and attract back players that dropped out? I have a kid that played JV and I wonder whether he will invest the time necessary to be a decent player. So if Hill's philosophy is to build character, he has a lot of mountains to climb.

A new coach should have been forthcoming for a long time.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 28, 2010 03:27PM

I have observed academic scholarships given to scholar/athletes to Ivy League Schools

The student-athlete may have received generous need-based aid, but Ivy league schools do not give out merit (academic) scholarships. For example, here is what Princeton says:

Please remember that our aid program is entirely need based and Princeton does not award merit scholarships.
Here is what Yale says:

While Yale does not award merit-based awards, our students often qualify for merit awards from other organizations.

Date: February 28, 2010 03:27PM

PV Dad Wrote:
> Brandon Lee did receive a full scholarship to play at JMU. again, this was a FULL scholarship and not a partial in any way. while he played QB at PV, he also played on defense. at the signing ceremony coach hill explained how JMU expects him to play an OLB/SS role.<

Unless you personally saw the National Letter of Intent to Mr. Lee from JMU, I'd be very skeptical of a full ride at a D-IAA school for a freshman OLB/SS. Those schools only have 65 rides that can be split among all the players on their roster, which is the practice among coaches. The few full rides given out by D-IAAs are normally reserved for upper classmen playing high value positions like QB, RB or Mike.

> Tommy Sedeski signed a Likely Letter of Intent to play at Princeton. If anybody said that it was a scholarship they printed incorrect information. coach hill esxplained that ivy league schools do not give athletic scholarships but he expected that tommy would get money for his academic success. nobody from PV ever said he got a full athletic scholarship.<

Congratulation to Mr. Sedeski for getting into Princeton. He didn't get an athletic scholarship. We don't know what academic or need based assistance he got. What is a "Likely Letter of Intent." National Letters of Intent are well known and understood but Ivies don't use them for obvious reasons and "Likely Letter of Intent" is an unknown term to those of us who've been through the process multiple times.

> another kid signed with a D2 school for what coach hill said would combine with his federal grant money to be a full tuition scholarship, but the kid would still need to pay for room and board.<

So the D-II kid got a small partial of one of the 35 equivalency scholarships available at the college; less than one-half of a "full ride."

The foregoing is not an outstanding record. SL already has a kid getting help at a D-IAA school and another playing at a D-II school from the current seniors. There are probably more of which I am not yet aware. Eberg was little help with these results.

> just clarifying. coach was good to our kids and will be good for the south lakes program, and he does get kids opportunities to play in college.<

Here's hoping you're right. God knows Eberg totally sucked. He couldn't teach the game and refused to help most kids to play at the next level, even D-III. Those few kids he helped, he misplaced.

Posted by: its all about numbers ()
Date: February 28, 2010 04:34PM

SL Football fan - its all about numbers. If the new coach can get the kids excited about the game, and can get the numbers out, everything - injuries, morale, and eventually, wins - begins to work in a program's favor.

Coaches matter a heck of a lot in football - more so than with most sports - so here's to hoping for a rejuvenated SL team.

By the way, a likely letter is something that the Ivies send out to let athletes know they will be admitted. This permits young people to make "choices" at an Ivy before the universal April 1 date, a date much later than with some other schools. And course, Princeton no longer has early admission; all the more reason to have a likely letter system.

Date: February 28, 2010 08:06PM

BTW, I misquoted about Andy Hill's 26 players in his 5 years at PV-- 26 players played college football, and 10 of those 26 received AT LEAST a partial scholarship. I figure that about 10-15% of his varsity players continued to play football. Source -- Virginia Preps and Loudon County.

It is already Spring, so I hope that Coach Hill selects his assistants and begins the weight room obligation for the players, who are anxiously awaiting his meetings.

Date: February 28, 2010 08:52PM

I hear that he already has his staff in place! He kept a few guys that were on SL's staff last year and brought in some people from PV.

Date: March 02, 2010 11:11AM

True to form, Andy Hill handed out a 22 question questionnaire for the players to complete by Thursday. From glancing at the questions, I noted that he is looking to have feedback from the players, encourage more players to join, promote more community involvement, and resolve the problems he had inherited. I guess he must have seen some of the blogs on South Lakes football.

Re: South Lakes varsity FB coach fired/Best teams ever
Posted by: yep yep ()
Date: March 31, 2010 02:44PM

The best Varsity football teams ever at South Lakes

1. 2002 Region Champions (Loss in state semifinals to Pheobus)

2. 1991 Region Champions (Loss in state semifinals to Halifax County)

3. 1999 Region Runner up (Loss to Centerville)

Posted by: ba-rohhh! ()
Date: September 17, 2010 12:14PM

Fuck You Barkley Wrote:
> South Lakes will be a force this year!!!!
>
>
> They will beat Herndon too. I promise you that.

3-0 to start the season, defeated herndon 43-0....
anyone still doubting andy hill? :P

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: September 17, 2010 09:45PM

Holy crap they SUCK! That's pitiful. When I was at Herndon, we always stomped South Lakes in football and basketball. Wtf is going on there?

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: bolano ()
Date: September 17, 2010 10:26PM

They've played two of the worst teams in the region in Falls Church and Thomas Jefferson.

Nothing to get excited about. They do look better, but lets not get unrealistic and assume they'll be making a run at states.

Date: September 18, 2010 12:27AM

SL hasn't beaten Herndon since 1999(?).

Since these games started in 1984(?), it's something like Herndon 21 SL 3.

Some rivalry.

44-0 @ Herndon. Who was Herndon's varsity playing that night?

Andy Hill can now run for RA President!

That just goes to show what a completely useless sack of bovine excrement John Ellenberger was/is. And Butler kept that piece of horse dung around for six years! 6 years.

Seriously, Bruce, are you so cognitively impaired that it took 6 years to catch on to that fraud.

Date: September 18, 2010 12:47AM

ThePackLeader Wrote:
> Holy crap they SUCK! That's pitiful. When I was at Herndon, we always stomped South Lakes in football and basketball. Wtf is going on there?<

What alternate universe were you living in where Herndon always stomped SL in basketball?

Gary Hall had a couple of good years.

The rest of the time Herndon was a cupcake on the SL cagers' schedule.

Posted by: Stinkfist ()
Date: September 18, 2010 01:08AM

South Lakes was only good at sports when Grant Hill went to the school. PERIOD. END. OF. STORY.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: September 18, 2010 01:41AM

Thomas More Wrote:
> ThePackLeader Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Holy crap they SUCK! That's pitiful. When I was
> at Herndon, we always stomped South Lakes in
> football and basketball. Wtf is going on there?<
>
> What alternate universe were you living in where
> Herndon always stomped SL in basketball?
>
> Gary Hall had a couple of good years.
>
> The rest of the time Herndon was a cupcake on the
> SL cagers' schedule.

We had Scottie Reynolds, Ricky Lucas, & the Short brothers when I was there, all of them had a lot of talent. Krizzio Washington was there for a short-time before he switched to Marshall as well (He was pretty good, but Hall didn't like his divaesque attitude, so his parents switched him to Marshall for more play time).

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Date: September 18, 2010 04:57PM

Stinkfist Wrote:
> South Lakes was only good at sports when Grant Hill went to the school. PERIOD. END. OF. STORY.<

SL played for the state AAA basketball championship twice several years apart more than 10 years after Hill left. Hill's teams never got that far.

Take your hand out of your rectum and find a clue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2010 04:58PM by Thomas More.

Date: September 18, 2010 08:52PM

Thomas More Wrote:
> SL hasn't beaten Herndon since 1999(?).
>
> Since these games started in 1984(?), it's
> something like Herndon 21 SL 3.
>
> Some rivalry.
>
> 44-0 @ Herndon. Who was Herndon's varsity playing
> that night?
>
> Andy Hill can now run for RA President!
>
> That just goes to show what a completely useless
> sack of bovine excrement John Ellenberger was/is.
> And Butler kept that piece of horse dung around
> for six years! 6 years.
>
> Seriously, Bruce, are you so cognitively impaired
> that it took 6 years to catch on to that fraud.

It could be South Lakes has a more talented group of kids this year and the redistricting has helped them tremendously.

John Ellenberger didn't do a bad job with what he had. Going to the games you can see Andy Hill is working with much more talent than Ellenberger ever had.

As for an AD it really takes a coach 3 years to develop a system and lets be real here, this isn't college ball it's not all about wins in high school, plus it depends so much more on the level of talent the kids have coming into the program.

Date: September 18, 2010 09:33PM

bolano Wrote:
> It could be South Lakes has a more talented group
> of kids this year and the redistricting has helped
> them tremendously.
>
> John Ellenberger didn't do a bad job with what he had. Going to the games you can see Andy Hill is working with much more talent than Ellenberger
ever had.
>
> As for an AD it really takes a coach 3 years to develop a system and lets be real here, this isn't college ball it's not all about wins in high school, plus it depends so much more on the level of talent the kids have coming into the program.<

Are you Ellenburger's mommy?

Most of the kids are the same as last year. Ellenburger taught the kids nothing because he knew nothing.

The redistricted kids are only juniors and few are playing football.

It's about getting kids to want to come out for the team and teaching them the fundamentals of the game. Ellenburger could do neither. Every year the team dwindled as the year went on.

Just keep offering excuses for Ellenburger, Jones and Butler, Mrs Ellenburger. Six years of suffering has been far too long.

The kids know better and so do the parents.

Date: September 19, 2010 11:27AM

Thomas More Wrote:
> Are you Ellenburger's mommy?
>
> Most of the kids are the same as last year.
> Ellenburger taught the kids nothing because he
> knew nothing.
>
> The redistricted kids are only juniors and few are
> playing football.
>
> It's about getting kids to want to come out for
> the team and teaching them the fundamentals of the
> game. Ellenburger could do neither. Every year
> the team dwindled as the year went on.
>
> Just keep offering excuses for Ellenburger, Jones
> and Butler, Mrs Ellenburger. Six years of
> suffering has been far too long.
>
> The kids know better and so do the parents.

I'll respectively disagree. This team does have more talent and the argument that most players are returning with experience would logically make sense that South Lakes would be better. Returning players from a mediocre season with lots of game experience are generally hungrier.

Hill is doing a good job so far, it shows. But Ellenburger did not due a bad job. Keep in mind last year against Falls Church and TJ they won 41-14 and 41-0 too.

Posted by: West ()
Date: September 19, 2010 08:19PM

In the 80's, when SLHS was just built, the football team went to states.

Posted by: Tom Sedeski ()
Date: October 19, 2010 03:09PM

Ivy schools do NOT give ANY kind of merit scholarships (athletic or academic). Aid is strictly need based. The schools also use what is called Academic Index in the admissions process. Its a measure using GPA, class rank, etc. Athletes are then categorized into 4 "bands". Tommy was in the top band at Princeton. The IVY League schools self-impose limits as to how many athletes they can have in each band and athletes for ALL sports are pooled with teh entire student body. This method assures schools and coaches arent compromising the academic integrity of the institutions they represent. The Patriot League is similar. Something like 70%+ of students in the IVYs play a sport. There is no letter of intent but there is a likley letter which only serves to give the student some assurance to base their college decision on during the recruiting process but prior to the official April acceptance letter. Lilkely letters simply help resolve the variances between the recruiting vs. application calenders.

Posted by: Bubba Longstroke ()
Date: October 19, 2010 03:17PM

Dem niggas only lost one game dis year so fars as i's can tell, dat's powerful stuff...word

Posted by: Paper Lion ()
Date: October 19, 2010 07:57PM

South lakes isn't that good. Saw them lose to an average Fairfax team 24-12 this week. Heading into last week's games, South Lakes may have been 5-1 but those 5 victories came against teams that were a combined 3-27!!! Their only two games against teams with winning records (McLean and Fairfax) have resulted in losses.

Bubba Longstroke Wrote:
> Dem niggas only lost one game dis year so fars as
> i's can tell, dat's powerful stuff...word

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.