HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Clifton winery is open
Posted by: Tim45 ()
Date: January 18, 2010 07:39PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/11/AR2010011102212.html

Funny the neighbors put up such a fight. I guess they would rather have about 100 new Mcmansions than one vineyard.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Clifton winery is open
Posted by: Nice Math ()
Date: January 18, 2010 10:04PM

The winery is on 35 acres. Each house/McMansion would by law have to be on at least 5 acres. Where do you get 100?

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: January 18, 2010 10:17PM

Tim45 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/artic
> le/2010/01/11/AR2010011102212.html
>
> Funny the neighbors put up such a fight. I guess
> they would rather have about 100 new Mcmansions
> than one vineyard.

I can see why they wanted to fight it. The winery is on a two lane deadend street. It's going to be a traffic mess on the weekends.

Posted by: MrDoctor ()
Date: January 19, 2010 07:40AM

just watched sideways this weekend. i wish there was some type of tour i could go on around here. probly is just too lazy to check

Posted by: Duchess ()
Date: January 19, 2010 09:47AM

Well, I went out there this weekend. The road has signs that say "17 feet wide" but it does not look as narrow as my own street (which is crowded with on-road parking-no one seems to park in their driveway anymore) and Yates Ford Rd is beautifully paved for a dead end road to nowhere. Although they had a good crowd out there, I did not feel the road was overly travelled and there certainly were no traffic back ups.

And the wine is surprisingly good. I cannot imagine having a wedding or event there unless you rented a tent or had a VERY SMALL wedding- the winery is in a little old log cabin. You would be better off asking the neighbors for a place to party - some of those houses are at least an acre in size for just the house.

There is more noise from the shooting range than there would be from the winery.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: January 19, 2010 02:47PM

I'd like to offer this instructional video for the winery...

Posted by: Tim45 ()
Date: January 19, 2010 03:31PM

Nice Math Wrote:
> The winery is on 35 acres. Each house/McMansion
> would by law have to be on at least 5 acres.
> Where do you get 100?

You must be new to Fairfax County. Zoning restrictions mean nothing. They are changed on a daily basis. I have seen zoning of one home per acre changed to three per acre. They are called concessions. Sometimes it is for the builder to widen the roads sometimes the builder will make a certain amount set aside for elderly or low income.

Very few builders if any are going to invest the time and effort to put in seven homes when they can get a concession to really fill it up with Mcmansions.

If you read the entire article you will see where the state stepped in and spanked Fairfax County thus allowing the winery to operate.

Fairfax County brings most of the grief on themselves by thinking they can operate without oversite. It was Fairfax that got the ball rolling on concealed weapon permits on demand. When they slowed and almost stopped the issuance of permits the state stepped in and said you will issue the permits and not only that we are taking away any authority you have to regulate firearms.

Date: January 19, 2010 03:50PM

Lurker. Wrote:
> I'd like to offer this instructional video for the
> winery...
>
>

There's famous midgets running the Clifton Winery?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: lil1 ()
Date: January 19, 2010 03:54PM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
> Lurker. Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'd like to offer this instructional video for
> the
> > winery...
> >
> >
>
>
> There's famous midgets running the Clifton Winery?

Not sure about there, but check out Tarara just north of Leesburg.

Posted by: CliftonResident ()
Date: January 19, 2010 06:50PM

Actually, zoning in Clifton is quite strict. Most of the land in the Occoquan watershed was downzoned by the board of supervisors in the early 80's to require a minimum lot size of 5 acres per home. Some smaller lots with existing homes were grandfathered in, but I don't know of any exemptions that have been made for lots without existing homes. The downzoning was vigorously challenged in the courts by developers but the zoning laws have been repeatedly upheld.

Tim45 Wrote:
> You must be new to Fairfax County. Zoning
> restrictions mean nothing. They are changed on a
> daily basis. I have seen zoning of one home per
> acre changed to three per acre. They are called
> concessions. Sometimes it is for the builder to
> widen the roads sometimes the builder will make a
> certain amount set aside for elderly or low
> income.
>
> Very few builders if any are going to invest the
> time and effort to put in seven homes when they
> can get a concession to really fill it up with
> Mcmansions.
>
> If you read the entire article you will see where
> the state stepped in and spanked Fairfax County
> thus allowing the winery to operate.
>
> Fairfax County brings most of the grief on
> themselves by thinking they can operate without
> oversite. It was Fairfax that got the ball rolling
> on concealed weapon permits on demand. When they
> slowed and almost stopped the issuance of permits
> the state stepped in and said you will issue the
> permits and not only that we are taking away any
> authority you have to regulate firearms.

Posted by: Athena ()
Date: January 24, 2010 03:00PM

7 McMansions (what would fit in that parcel) would not have caused the traffic, chaos, and destruction of the beautiful area surrounding the winery. I like the winery if it can show respect for its environs. At one point they directed traffic off of their own propery so its lawns would not get ruined. That way only the park's lawns would get ruined. I see the logic - better someone elses area get trashed than theirs. Despite my initial excitement about preservation of that Kincheloe holding, I am now very concerned about the winery's impact on the area. The owners' sense of entitlement and disrepect for others is evident and disconcerting. Perhaps it is not too late for them to make reparations and apologies to everyone they harmed and inconvenienced last weekend.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.