HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
38 arrested in N.Va. drug ring that dealt mainly to youths
Posted by: GMU Hokie ()
Date: December 16, 2009 07:41AM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/15/AR2009121505113_pf.html

NEWS | POLITICS | OPINIONS | BUSINESS | LOCAL | SPORTS | ARTS & LIVING | GOING OUT GUIDE | JOBS | CARS | REAL ESTATE |SHOPPING

38 arrested in N.Va. drug ring that dealt mainly to youths
Operation part of battle against rising drug use by young people in suburbs

By Josh White
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, December 16, 2009; A01

Nearly 40 people have been arrested across Northern Virginia this week on charges of dealing heroin and prescription narcotics as part of a large-scale investigation to battle what officials said is a dramatic increase in drug use among young people in the Washington suburbs.

The sting targeted dealers ranging from 18 to 54 years old, many of whom sold large amounts of heroin and pills to high school students and young adults in Prince William and western Fairfax counties. Police said it was "alarmingly easy" to find and buy the drugs in recent suburban stings in homes, retail store bathrooms, gyms, grocery stores and pharmacies.

The operation has resulted in 38 arrests, police said. It comes after a large federal investigation in Northern Virginia that targeted a group of young heroin users and dealers in Fairfax County and a series of overdose deaths in the Manassas area. Police across the region said use of heroin and powerful prescription pills among young adults has risen significantly in the past year.

The recent overdose deaths in Prince William of Matthew Mittong and Mindy Weakley, both 26, played a large role in prompting police to infiltrate a group of dealers who primarily sell heroin bought in Baltimore and the District, as well as prescription drugs containing the strong painkillers oxycodone and methadone.

"It was much more prevalent than even we thought it would be," said Prince William 1st Sgt. Dan Hess, who is leading the investigation. "We understood there was a problem with prescription drugs. But what we didn't understand was how young these kids were getting involved and transitioning to heroin."

Hess said police have found large numbers of local high school students, some as young as 15, who were regularly buying and using opiate pills before switching to heroin because it is cheaper and more accessible.

Police are concerned that teenagers are trying drugs such as Percocet, Vicodin and OxyContin at parties thinking that because a doctor prescribes them they must be safe. Soon, Hess said, those teenagers are increasing their doses and later moving to heroin. "That false sense that it is okay can lead to very bad things very quickly," Hess said. "Before long, they're on the corner buying heroin. It's a sad transition into the abyss."

A spiral

Weakley's path to addiction closely followed that script. An excellent student who graduated from Brentsville High School at 16, Weakley went on to James Madison University, receiving her degree in 2006, and became a nurse. Weakley died three years later, in September, after overdosing in Manassas on a concoction of drugs with one of her dealers.

Weakley's death was one of several that caught the attention of authorities and came just six months after Mittong, her boyfriend, died similarly.

Her journey from dancer and aspiring health-care worker to junkie started like many do: In high school, she would pop a pill at a party or take one recreationally with her older brother, friends and family members said. After she rolled her red Chevrolet Cavalier at 17, crushing two of her fingers, a prescription painkiller became her vice. Heroin followed.

"She'd take a pill because it would increase the feeling of a couple of beers," said Lynette Mumaw, 26, a high school classmate and close friend of Weakley's. "Lots of people were doing it, and no one saw the harm in it. But after college, she changed. She said she could handle things, but it was clear she couldn't."

By late 2006, at 23, Weakley started "nodding off" in public, meaning she would fall into a stupor while high.

Weakley was buying drugs from several sources, friends and family members said, including pills from friends in the Manassas area and heroin from a woman in the District whom she would meet at a McDonald's near Gallaudet University. She kept her stash, needles and a bent spoon in a small purse in her room.

Weakley's mother, Judy Fryett, noticed her daughter slipping into a deep problem in late 2006, when she returned from college and was living at home. But it was the death of Weakley's brother in a motorcycle crash in April 2007 that sent her into a tailspin.

During the next year, Weakley was in and out of work, sometimes making as much as $25 an hour as a nurse and blowing it all -- at a clip of $1,000 a week -- on drugs. She also pawned her laptop and jewelry for a few doses.

At one point, Fryett met with one of her daughter's dealers in a Prince William parking lot to pay off a $300 debt. "The really sad thing is that they may not hit bottom before they die," Fryett said. Weakley overdosed at that dealer's house Sept. 2 and died that day at Prince William Hospital, 26 years after she was born there.

"My sister was not dumb. . . . She was pretty, she was sweet, she was headed down the right path, and she still ended up dead," said Shelli Lopes, 32, Weakley's stepsister. "She proved it can happen to anyone."

Weakley's death came just months after her boyfriend, Mittong, overdosed and died in front of her in April.

Craig Mittong, 28, his brother, said the problem is far more serious than most people realize. He said many addicts start in high schools in good neighborhoods because their parents have money and they can easily hide their use of pills.

"I was always the type that would never shoot anything up," said Mittong, who has been clean since 2006. "It's a prescription drug. It's got to be safe. It was from a doctor. But at $80 for a pill, it got expensive. In Lincoln Heights or on Georgia Avenue, $80 would get you 10 bags of heroin. It escalates. It just keeps building and building. I definitely didn't think it would go where it did.

"But you don't get bad off until you're well into it. And before people know it, you're in jail or you're dead."

Cheaper option

Across Virginia, the use of prescription drugs and heroin has led to a significant increase in overdose deaths, according to newly released data for 2008 from the Virginia medical examiner's office. The office reported a 91 percent increase in such deaths, from 384 to 735, from 1999 to 2008. In 2008, heroin and prescription narcotics accounted for at least 71 percent of all overdose deaths in Virginia.

In Maryland, drug-related deaths increased more than 20 percent from 2005 to 2007, the last year for which medical examiner data are available. There were 839 drug deaths in Maryland in 2007, and narcotics including heroin, morphine and methadone accounted for nearly half of them. Over the same period, the District's drug overdose deaths fell more than 25 percent, dropping to 90 in 2007, according to medical examiner data.

Capt. Pete Eliadis, assistant commander of narcotics in the Prince George's County police department, said officers are seizing more heroin this year. The reason, he said, is economics: At $20 a pop, heroin is a less expensive alternative to OxyContin or Vicodin, which can run as high as $50 or more a pill.

Prince William police said they will continue to target the sources of such drugs and are working with federal authorities to unearth fraudulent prescription practices. Hess said one of the most striking elements of the investigation is that confidential informants were so easily able to lead them to more drugs that on some nights "there was no end in sight."

"This is one of the most alarming trends that we've seen in terms of drug abuse," Hess said. "We need people to realize that this could be going on with their children, in their homes. Unfortunately, sometimes it takes a death or a near-death for there to be a wake-up call, and by then it's way too late."

Staff writers Dan Morse and Matt Zapotosky contributed to this report.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 38 arrested in N.Va. drug ring that dealt mainly to youths
Date: December 16, 2009 07:42AM

Brothers in Crime:

"MITTONG ","CRAIG ","A","025"," 11164","ASHLEY BROOKE ","DR","BEALETON ","VA","10/31/2006","POSS CONTROLLED DRUG FEL "
"MITTONG ","CRAIG ","A","025"," 11164","ASHLEY BROOKE ","DR","BEALTON ","VA","01/18/2006","GR LARC-OTHER "
"MITTONG ","CRAIG ","A","025"," 12911","CARRIAGE FORD ","RD","NOKESVILLE ","VA","06/09/2006","OTHER ARREST-MISCELLANEOUS "
"MITTONG ","CRAIG ","A","026"," 11164","ASHLEY BROOKE ","DR","BEALETON ","VA","05/09/2007","OTHER WARRANT "
"MITTONG ","MATTHEW ","P","024"," 11164","ASHLEY BROOKE ","DR","BEALTON ","VA","01/18/2006","GR LARC-OTHER "
"MITTONG ","MATTHEW ","P","025"," ","NO FIXED "," "," "," ","06/27/2007","POSS PARAPH SYRINGE/NEEDLES "
"MITTONG ","MATTHEW ","P","025"," ","NO FIXED "," "," "," ","06/27/2007","SELL STOLEN PROPERTY "
"MITTONG ","MATTHEW ","P","025"," 11164","ASHLEY BROOKE ","DR","BEALTON ","VA","10/29/2007","ALTER PRICE TAG/MISD "
"MITTONG ","MATTHEW ","P","026"," 11164","ASHLEY BROOKE ","DR","BEALTON ","VA","01/25/2008","PAROLE,PROB SUPERVISION VIOL "

Date: December 16, 2009 07:44AM

Note:

The older brother is clean, but the younger one is dead.

DRUGS KILL.

Posted by: poolio ()
Date: December 16, 2009 10:38AM

GMU Hokie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Note:
>
> The older brother is clean, but the younger one is
> dead.
>
> DRUGS KILL.

Some drugs save lives, some help men get a boner, some keep women from getting pregnant, some treat cancer. Tell the people who got the small pox vaccine that drugs kill and they will tell you small pox kills you faster.

Posted by: Johnny Walker ()
Date: December 16, 2009 11:11AM

GMU Hokie Wrote:
> Note:
>
> The older brother is clean, but the younger one is
> dead.
>
> DRUGS KILL.

Note: the older brother was a junkie too.

Posted by: Jeester ()
Date: December 16, 2009 01:21PM

I don't see what the problem was here? The heroin was effectively cleaning society of losers. Now the police have fucked the shit up. I suppose next they will want the public to hire these junkies.

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: December 16, 2009 01:36PM

Jeester Wrote:
> I don't see what the problem was here? The heroin
> was effectively cleaning society of losers. Now
> the police have fucked the shit up. I suppose
> next they will want the public to hire these
> junkies.

The easiest way to get a good person to do something bad is to convince them that they're not responsible for their actions. All these rehab and support groups say, "It's not your fault, you have a disease! You're an addict! You can't help it without us!"

It erodes the concept of personal accountability and lets people think they'll have a safety net handy if they get too deep.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: December 16, 2009 02:08PM

Smoke weed kids, it won't kill you in an overdose like Rx drugs, alcohol and heroin.

Crazy she was that smart to graduate from high school at 16, and was a nurse and still got all caught up in it.

Posted by: chickenlady ()
Date: December 16, 2009 02:16PM

+1000000.

My sister is a raging alcoholic, and lives so deep in it that she kind of won't go to the AA-type places because she thinks the inpatient "Intervention" type beachy-paradise thing is the only thing that will help her. I asked, "what more do you think THAT will do?"

No answer.

I think most addicts know that they have to do it themselves, but can't or won't, and so seek someone who will pat their hand and tell them it's not their fault. I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "I've got a disease!"

There are countless other diseases out there, but you don't see people justify not doing anything about them like you do with this crap.

MrMephisto Wrote:
> Jeester Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I don't see what the problem was here? The
> heroin
> > was effectively cleaning society of losers.
> Now
> > the police have fucked the shit up. I suppose
> > next they will want the public to hire these
> > junkies.
>
> The easiest way to get a good person to do
> something bad is to convince them that they're not
> responsible for their actions. All these rehab
> and support groups say, "It's not your fault, you
> have a disease! You're an addict! You can't help
> it without us!"
>
> It erodes the concept of personal accountability
> and lets people think they'll have a safety net
> handy if they get too deep.

Posted by: craig mittong ()
Date: December 20, 2009 03:07PM

They didn't die from a heroin OD retard learn to read. Matt died from an overdose of Vicoden Morphine and alcohol. Prescription drugs prescribed to a perfectly healthy 25 year old blonde that gets scripts because she has big tits. Mindy died from Methadone and xanax again prescribed to someone that didn't need it.

Date: December 20, 2009 03:11PM

You missed quite a few charges for both of us, every charge either of us had we were both completely strung out. I have been clean since 2006 and no new trouble

Date: December 20, 2009 03:54PM

Just to clear some things up. Matt and I started off taking our prescription pills, Matt for two deteriated discs in his lower back, me for a orbit blowout fracture(shattered eye socket) We had Kaiser Permanente instead of fixing the problems they like to just keep you happy because it's cheaper that way. After awhile I was taking my monthly supply in a few days, which led to getting them elsewhere. In 2002 KP decided that I shouldn't be on Oxycontin Dilaudid and variuos other types of opiates anymore so they cut me off. Instead of detoxing I decided I would just get them from other sources which soon led to heroin because it was much cheaper and more reliable. You can cop dope 365 days a year just about anywhere in the district and Baltimore. After officially being heroin addicts for year or so we both decided to get off heroin. After being clean for only a couple of months we started taking a very innocent sounding pill called Vicoden. Sooner or later came Oxycontin again, and then back to heroin, then clean again then using again then clean again. This cycle repeated itself about 7 times or so in 6 years. In late 2006 I was clean again and feeling good, Matt was still repeating the cycle for about 2 more years or so. Matt was clean for 15 months on 4/3/09 he took vicoden,morphine and had a few drinks and never woke up Mindy found him at 8a.m. legs sticking out of the bathroom door lips blue and barely and I mean barely alive. Be the time he made it to the Er he was flatlining. Getting off opiates is easier than getting hooked, getting is a long drawn out proccess, drugs are fun and seemingly the best thing ever and you dont realize the damage they cause, there isn't any noticable damage until you realize you just spent $1000 on drugs that last you a couple days. Reality check you are hooked. Staying clean however is an acomplishment, I had to ditch every friend I ever had because even growing up in a nice area (Linton Hall rd) and going to a rural school (BDHS) Drugs were all around me everyone I knew every party I went to it's there. You have to find a replacemant addiction, there has to be something to fill the void. And drugs seem to follow you where ever you. I now live in the woods in the middle of nowhere and they are here also. You all are intitled to your opinion but you don't know shit and you all sound like an after school special. To the nomal person drugs aren't a serious problem you see the effects in the paper like NOW and then speak about it like you have experience. Speaking out of ignorance makes you all sound as stupid as you are. YOU WANT REAL KNOWLEDGE. Check into the senate sub-committee hearings with the makers of Oxycontin(Purdue Pharma) and see how much your Government let's them get away with, they are a law abiding drug cartel which is scary. Money is power and they have alot of money.

Date: December 20, 2009 04:28PM

One more thing. Of the people that were arrested. I would be willing to bet that not one of those people knew Matt or Mindy. And their deaths were what set this "sting" in motion, how is that. The fact of the matter is the Fed. budget for the "drug war" is over $18,000,000,000 a year. The deaths of Matt and Mindy just gave police a reason to ask for more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ next year. It is an insult. check out a documentary called "the last great white hope"

Posted by: Luvhim ()
Date: January 23, 2010 08:17PM

I wish this on no ones family and there are not many people who remain sober but Craig you are a wonderful father, a loving and supportive man for the past 6 years of my life, a great brother, hard worker, and a strong individual. Thank you so much for setting people straight. I hope this site gets shut down! We will always love you and miss you Matt but we will keep your memory alive forever!

Posted by: curious ()
Date: January 23, 2010 08:35PM

Prescription drug abuse and heroin has been a problem the entire time I have lived in Northern Virginia. I grew up around people using these drugs- although I have never used myself.

The media has only recently discovered this phenomenon. The solution is much more complicated than a simple denunciation of the users. Although I do not entirely agree with the stereotypical drug-treatment mantra of "you are the victim" these people are not entirely to blame for their addiction. . .

Posted by: Truth24 ()
Date: January 23, 2010 08:38PM

American Drug War The Last White Hope exposes the truth about the war on Drugs and is pretty much the most informative documentary you are going to get on that topic.

The government ships a lot of the drugs in these days, I remember a few years ago when a CIA rendition plane crashed in Mexico with 200lbs of pure cocaine on it. That story sure disappeared from the news real quick...kind of like Mena and The Franklin Coverup.

Posted by: Kenny_Powers ()
Date: January 24, 2010 06:57AM

Truth24 Wrote:
> American Drug War The Last White Hope exposes the
> truth about the war on Drugs and is pretty much
> the most informative documentary you are going to
> get on that topic.
>
> The government ships a lot of the drugs in these
> days, I remember a few years ago when a CIA
> rendition plane crashed in Mexico with 200lbs of
> pure cocaine on it. That story sure disappeared
> from the news real quick...kind of like Mena and
> The Franklin Coverup.

listen to Alex Jones much?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.