HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
FCPS walkout planned tomorrow at 12: excused or unexcused absence?
Posted by: Attention. ()
Date: February 20, 2018 08:54PM

I support the right to protest and FCPS board members and principals have given students the ok to do it. However, they haven’t been clear on wheter or not it will be an excused or unexcused absence. Anyone know?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS walkout planned tomorrow at 12: excused or unexcused absence?
Posted by: SOL Tester ()
Date: February 20, 2018 08:58PM

Will the lost school day be made up?

Posted by: at first they came for the... ()
Date: February 20, 2018 09:18PM

Damn, they got the students so indoctrinated they are scared to miss a day of school in order to protest something they feel is an injustice.

The powers at be at school are saying "if you disagree with us you will be punished for your dissenting opinion".

Sad.

If they were truly down for the cause, they would protest, punishment be damned.

These are the same kids who would go to a protest in the streets- but if there was any danger of them being arrested then they would not go.

The indoctrination is working, no one wants to protest in fear of being punished.

That is what THEY want the kids to do- be scared to fight for their rights.

Once again- just sad.

AS an adult, if i truly believe in the cause I will protest, threats of arrest be damned.

If they were trying to arrest me- then the powers that be disagree with my stance and enforce it with intimidation and threats to keep people in line- do things my way OR ELSE is the message.

I feel sorry for the kids today they can't even form their own opinion they must do what the adults say, fairness or truthiness be damned.

I thought this was the land of the free, but I guess you are only free if you are one of the rich elite. The rich elite is who the law enforcement work for, "they were just following orders" when they arrest you for protesting. Damn.

Posted by: Eddie Teach ()
Date: February 20, 2018 09:24PM

Please, please walk out and stay the rest of the day.

Posted by: A history lessonYTWMJ ()
Date: February 20, 2018 09:31PM

Attention. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I support the right to protest and FCPS board
> members and principals have given students the ok
> to do it. However, they haven’t been clear on
> wheter or not it will be an excused or unexcused
> absence. Anyone know?

Question Authority,unless it's a Democrat, then shut up and do as you're told.

Posted by: RogersRangers ()
Date: February 20, 2018 09:35PM

Don’t give a damn what the students do as long AS THEY STOP THROWING TRASH OUT THEIR CAR WINDOWS. These students lecture you on global warming and then LITTER like little pigs. Teens (especially if their parents are from New Jersey or Central America) are the worst litter pigs on the planet!

Posted by: Won't last long ()
Date: February 20, 2018 09:58PM

Will they check their phones every 30 seconds? What will happen when their cell phone batteries die? > End of march, gotta find power.

Posted by: Dumbass libturdz. ()
Date: February 20, 2018 10:04PM

Attachments:
hAWcZVs.gif

Posted by: wmxhu ()
Date: February 20, 2018 10:48PM

they should walk out of school and head toward the unemployment office, get a lecture on why illegal mexicans from maryland get hired by fx co gov workers but not kids who grew up here

OUT OF THE FRYING PAN, INTO THE FIRE

Posted by: Leftist.Gorilla ()
Date: February 20, 2018 10:51PM

You cannot challenge America's most powerful lobby by protesting. The time for that shit is over.

Posted by: source ()
Date: February 21, 2018 07:11PM

Attention. Wrote:
> I support the right to protest and FCPS board
> members and principals have given students the ok
> to do it. However, they haven’t been clear on
> wheter or not it will be an excused or unexcused
> absence. Anyone know?

the walkout was supported by admin at my school. That said, when the "event," came to a conclusion students returned...see that word, returned...it means to go back to...class

I had a student who did NOT return to class...I marked that student absent as I could not verify his location by the end of the period. Now how the administration terms to deal with the students argument later which will be but I was protesting man! is up to the administration.

Attendance policy in the county and state is pretty cut and draw...if you are physically in the classroom...you are present...if you are NOT in the classroom you are absent (unexcused absences may be excused dependent on the ability of the student/parent to give cause as to why the student was NOT present during that time)

As such, my student was absent because they did not return to class and I could NOT verify their presence on school grounds...if they say walked across the street to the local neighborhood and got hit by a car...then I can be held liable for failing to monitor the current location of my student.

Students could serve to read the actual Student Rights and Responsibilities handbook and learn what it actually says instead of believing that "The King" as he is called Ryan McElveen has any sort of sway on these things.

He does not cancel school, he cannot tell you when an absence is excused or unexcused, he cannot change your grades, he cannot just close FCPS as you all yell for...what he can do is drive absurd policy through the school board which then effects how things happen at the school wide level.

Almost done...but he is reading a resolution at the school board meeting to call on Congress and the state legislature to enact meaningful gun violence reform...people are lauding this like some great achievement...for fucks sake the guy is reading a message he's going to send to Congress and the state that says they should do something...and then you won't hear much from him on it. Why? Because meaningful change is hard and requires persistence, effort, struggle, and work...I respect all those who want gun reform...students should not have to feel unsafe at schools but if gun reform is not a fidget spinner...it's not a flavor of the month...you want change then start working for it and pushing and when you get tired of it keep going anyway...that's how change happens.

There have been lots of great leaders who fought and worked for many things but the key they understand that whether your 18-28-38-48-58-68-78-etc...is that it takes time...keep pushing keep striving keep fighting and don't give up but don't act like one "walkout" for 20 damn minutes of a school day is going to bring about reform tomorrow or next week...you have to do better than that or you're just hopping a one-trick pony for because that's what everyone else is doing

TL;DR...if you went back to class you should be excused...if you "enjoyed the nice day (i.e. walked out because hehe it's the cool thing") then you were unexcused and need to deal with the repercussions...to be hoenst, they're going to give you after school detention and you're not going to go anyway

Posted by: source ()
Date: February 21, 2018 07:13PM

Leftist.Gorilla Wrote:
> You cannot challenge America's most powerful lobby
> by protesting. The time for that shit is over.

We were having a conversation over dinner about that. How bad all these people want gun control/reform is going to be relative to how hard and long they are willing to go toe-to-toe with the NRA

My best example at dinner was this...white people got on bus and went into the Deep South in the 60s in support of civil rights...some of them got the shit beat out of them for doing that

If you want gun control/reform...one should be able to mimic something akin to Freedom Rides....that's being committed to a cause, staying true, and really working for a change

Posted by: Leftist.Gorilla ()
Date: February 21, 2018 07:55PM

source Wrote:
> Leftist.Gorilla Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > You cannot challenge America's most powerful
> lobby
> > by protesting. The time for that shit is over.
>
> We were having a conversation over dinner about
> that. How bad all these people want gun
> control/reform is going to be relative to how hard
> and long they are willing to go toe-to-toe with
> the NRA
>
> My best example at dinner was this...white people
> got on bus and went into the Deep South in the 60s
> in support of civil rights...some of them got the
> shit beat out of them for doing that
>
> If you want gun control/reform...one should be
> able to mimic something akin to Freedom
> Rides....that's being committed to a cause,
> staying true, and really working for a change

Your example of the Freedom Rides is exactly correct. What's ironic about the battle against guns is...You have to make the argument to those who want to restrict guns that they have to literally be WILLING TO DIE to effect the change, just as the Freedom Riders did.

And what's sad is, so many have ALREADY died innocently in preventable gun violence deaths...you would think that would be sufficient influence.

Make no mistake. Here in America, we have traded our sons' lives, our daughters' lives, our cousins', our nephews' and nieces', our grandchildrens' and great-grandchildrens', our neighbors' kids who we don't even know's lives...every dead child killed by gun violence was killed because Americans care more about the protecting the profits of the gun manufacturing industry then the lives of our country's children.

To say nothing of all the innocent adults' lives who have also been unnecessarily lost by preventable gun violence.

Politicians from both sides of the aisle give "thoughts and prayers"...while cashing their checks from the NRA. I do not understand how they do that as politicians and many of them as parents themselves and how they sleep at night.

We don't want to TAKE the guns. We want to RESTRICT the guns. Or at the very least, can we sit down as fellow Americans...fellow human fucking beings, and put our heads together and use the greatest American resource of all, ingenuity...and solve this problem?

Posted by: causeican ()
Date: February 21, 2018 08:11PM

Students ought to know if School Admin supports their protests, they are not protesting squat. They are pawns.

Posted by: pappppppyyyy ()
Date: February 21, 2018 09:44PM

"Teens (especially if their parents are from New Jersey or Central America) are the worst litter pigs on the planet!"

This is the funniest thing I've ever read on this site. New Jersey or Central America.

Posted by: HS teach ()
Date: February 21, 2018 10:41PM

So my question is how many more days are the admins going to allow them to protest and miss instructional time? There are marches scheduled and advertised (and paid for)at least two more days, admins need to get control and give them one day to make their point. Also how bout communicating with the parents?

Parents need to tell students what their expectations are. After many left school today one student told me that most didn't even care about issue just wanted to leave.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.