HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Wood Carving Supplies??
Posted by: Xmas Shopper ()
Date: December 11, 2009 10:00PM

Any wood carvers out there? I'm trying to find a local supplier for tools, kits, wood, etc. My searches don't pull up any Northern Virginia stores (unless you count Front Royal. HA!).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wood Carving Supplies??
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: December 11, 2009 11:00PM

Woodcraft in Springfield. I have a few woodworkers in my family, and they all speak highly of this place.

I'm not a woodworker, but I go there to buy gifts and the dudes who work there are real helpful and seem like they really know their shit. I've bought stuff there just to deliver it back to family in PA so they could avoid shipping charges.

If they don't have the exact thing you need, they'll order it.

Date: December 11, 2009 11:52PM

Excellent! I knew there had to be a place around here. Thanks so much.

Posted by: dono ()
Date: December 12, 2009 09:01AM

the woodworking shop is a few doors down from one of the best hardware stores in the area - Fischers (ACE). They are fantastic there.

Date: December 18, 2009 05:00PM

Woodcraft was great! They were so helpful when I went there the other day. Thanks for the recommendation.

Posted by: Woody ()
Date: December 19, 2009 09:48AM

I agree with woodcraft in terms of local shops - they know their stuff and and are always quite helpful.

I would, however, recommend looking online as well (in the future) if time is not of the essence and you can wait to have an item shipped. I found that woodcraft prices sometimes tend to be a bit higher on some things...especially when it comes to small pieces of exotic wood for inlays, and turning rounds.

Date: December 19, 2009 12:35PM

Time WAS the problem! I found a lot of good deals online.

Posted by: fourleaf ()
Date: December 19, 2009 01:02PM

Also thebestthings.com located out of Herndon at Herndon Pkwy and Elden St carries woodworking supplies. No wood, but the tools to work it. They try and come in cheaper than other online places and if you're not happy with the price talk to the owner Lee. More specifically: http://thebestthings.com/newtools/newtools.htm.

Woodcraft is nice, and you have to love Fischers Hardware. They have everything.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.