HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: Worth it? ()
Date: September 15, 2017 02:05PM

I'm debating about buying a cheap $200 generator for power outages? All I want to run my cable modem, TV and a couple of lights. TV and computers mainly.

Will the cable TV still work if I put power to everything?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: Dominion all the way ()
Date: September 15, 2017 02:34PM

Worth it? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm debating about buying a cheap $200 generator
> for power outages? All I want to run my cable
> modem, TV and a couple of lights. TV and
> computers mainly.
>
> Will the cable TV still work if I put power to
> everything?

Yes. Don't forget about the fridge. We use ours all the time since we work from home. No computer=no money

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: $200 = about 10 watts of power ()
Date: September 15, 2017 02:38PM

Unless things in the real world have changed, $200 will probably only buy you a hand-cranked flashlight and radio.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: Generac ()
Date: September 15, 2017 02:44PM

Meh. I have a whole house system and in +15 years the number of times that it's run for more than an hour I could count on one hand and probably still have fingers left over. That's with above-ground power. If you have buried probably even less. The only time that it's been very useful was during the derecho some years ago when trees took lines out around here.

If you're going to get one, then do some more research. To get a good one with inverter that you really want to run electronics will be more than that. But the cheap ones will work at a basic level if you really need it. Not something that's probably going to do you a lot of good just for convenience though since you're not going to want to set it up and run lines and all just for an hour. Plus you have to maintain it and keep gas ready, etc. They're really made more for having power to run tools and other stuff where you don't have power.

Depends on where the outage is as far as cable. If their up-stream boxes don't have power, then no.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: Brian LaRue ()
Date: September 15, 2017 03:43PM

Just like how you see nip cars still on the road-you get what you pay for!
Better to buy a used Honda generator than some bs from Harbor Freight.
I bought a champion from hd 5 yrs ago NEW and I struggled to start it each time!
And no, I didn't use ethanol gas but white gas from murphys.
Sold that one and bought a 1990's Honda and it starts on the first pull EVERY TIME!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: I'm No Eletrician ()
Date: September 15, 2017 03:52PM

I looked into a generator and talked with an electrician about doing the necessary wiring hookup. The cost of a generator plus his fee was far more than going to a motel during an extended outage. The only real drawback is the water pipes freezing if it's too cold inside during the winter.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: BETCW ()
Date: September 15, 2017 05:27PM

Tractor Supply has a really inexpensive one but with good reviews.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: hc6tj ()
Date: September 15, 2017 07:02PM

If you are going to use a gasoline powered generator you need to commit to running it and refreshing the gas periodically and/or draining the tank when not in use. Gasoline begins to break down over time, something we unused to refer to as turning into varnish, and this can cause problems for some motors. Also water vapor can condense inside gas tanks. This can be dealt with if you take the time to prepare the engine before running it. If you are looking for something you can neglect for months or even years and then expect it to be ready at the throw of a switch in the middle of a storm you maybe disappointed. Gasoline generators run on a continuous basis can use serious amounts of gas. If using it with sensitive electronics you would want to make certain the actual power output was consistent with the tolerances of your devices.

My guess is that inexpensive gas generators would be more appropriate to run a few hours to allos the freezer to keep food and to recharge your cell phone during a long term outage than to allow you to maintain business as usual during a short term outage.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: ^^^^^this guys great grandson ^^ ()
Date: September 15, 2017 07:27PM

If using it with
> sensitive electronics you would want to make
> certain the actual power output was consistent
> with the tolerances of your devices.


run a power strip between your iPhone and generator

> My guess is that inexpensive gas generators would
> be more appropriate to run a few hours to allos
> the freezer to keep food and to recharge your cell
> phone during a long term outage.

You mention charging phone twice. It would be easier just to turn your car on accessory and charge it vs gas generator.

I can't wait to see you at Christmas pop pop

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: The Neighborhood Swinging Dick ()
Date: September 15, 2017 07:30PM

Buy a Honda 3K or greater.

A 3K Honda will run you about $2000.00 on ebay or Amazon.

It will start every time, and won't rattle the teeth out of your head.

Plus if you ever want to sell it you will be able to recoup some of your investment if you take care of it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: NHKCE ()
Date: September 15, 2017 07:32PM

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/champion-power-equipment-1400w-1800w-portable-generator-carb-compliant

Good enough to run a single 120V outlet. Am using it to run my pond filter and aerator in case of a long term power outage.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: Undead.Slayer ()
Date: September 15, 2017 07:40PM

NHKCE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/champion
> -power-equipment-1400w-1800w-portable-generator-ca
> rb-compliant
>
> Good enough to run a single 120V outlet. Am using
> it to run my pond filter and aerator in case of a
> long term power outage.

The fucking pond filter? Muffukin' zombie apocalypse is upon us and this guy is worried about his algae backing up...

Bruh, if you don't reprioritize your emergency plan, the brain eaters will come for you first...if not the zombies then the Muslims.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: JEE4L ()
Date: September 15, 2017 07:45PM

It doesn't filter algae, it removes the fish poop from the water so the nitrogen levels don't skyrocket and kill the fish.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: Actual Idiot ()
Date: September 15, 2017 07:47PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Zombies are afraid of Honda Generators.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: tfbww ()
Date: September 15, 2017 08:42PM

^^^^^this guys great grandson ^^ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If using it with
> > sensitive electronics you would want to make
> > certain the actual power output was consistent
> > with the tolerances of your devices.
>
>
> run a power strip between your iPhone and
> generator
>

That doesn't work. You're not trying to stop surges, it's the waveform of the electricity generated that's potentially the issue. A power strip won't change that. Even one that somewhat filters. You'd need an inverter. Also don't get the benefit of burning less fuel and noise as better Honda etc. inverter generators which will step up or down with load vs being either on or off and running full out the whole time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: gbw ()
Date: September 15, 2017 08:55PM

Undead.Slayer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> NHKCE Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/champion
>
> >
> -power-equipment-1400w-1800w-portable-generator-ca
>
> > rb-compliant
> >
> > Good enough to run a single 120V outlet. Am
> using
> > it to run my pond filter and aerator in case of
> a
> > long term power outage.
>
> The fucking pond filter? Muffukin' zombie
> apocalypse is upon us and this guy is worried
> about his algae backing up...
>
> Bruh, if you don't reprioritize your emergency
> plan, the brain eaters will come for you
> first...if not the zombies then the Muslims.


Dude, that was fucking funny!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: What he said ()
Date: September 15, 2017 08:55PM

hc6tj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you are going to use a gasoline powered
> generator you need to commit to running it and
> refreshing the gas periodically and/or draining
> the tank when not in use. Gasoline begins to
> break down over time, something we unused to refer
> to as turning into varnish, and this can cause
> problems for some motors. Also water vapor can
> condense inside gas tanks. This can be dealt with
> if you take the time to prepare the engine before
> running it. If you are looking for something you
> can neglect for months or even years and then
> expect it to be ready at the throw of a switch in
> the middle of a storm you maybe disappointed.
> Gasoline generators run on a continuous basis can
> use serious amounts of gas. If using it with
> sensitive electronics you would want to make
> certain the actual power output was consistent
> with the tolerances of your devices.
>
> My guess is that inexpensive gas generators would
> be more appropriate to run a few hours to allos
> the freezer to keep food and to recharge your cell
> phone during a long term outage than to allow you
> to maintain business as usual during a short term
> outage.

I have a generator I bought about 20 years ago on sale, just to make my wife happy. I've never used it, though I came close during Ivan and the derecho. Our power came back on after the derecho, but a friend's didn't; he came and took it and used it for a day or two. When he returned it, I thought he'd drained the tank, just realized last weekend that he hadn't (I already told you I don't use it!). It of course wouldn't start. I went to drain the gas by removing the fuel filter, and the plastic connector at the bottom of the tank disintegrated when I barely touched the fuel line, pouring nasty old gas all over. Well, at least the tank's empty now! I'm taking it in--I could fix it, but I'd rather pay someone to do it who has the parts and doesn't mind smelling like gas. Plus if they screw it up, I can yell at them, rather than having my wife blame me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: lmeyf ()
Date: September 15, 2017 11:48PM

The Neighborhood Swinging Dick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Buy a Honda 3K or greater.
>
> A 3K Honda will run you about $2000.00 on ebay or
> Amazon.
>
> It will start every time, and won't rattle the
> teeth out of your head.
>
> Plus if you ever want to sell it you will be able
> to recoup some of your investment if you take care
> of it.

DON'T UNLESS YOUR A CONTRACTOR. it's more product than you need.

Anyway who says Japan never uses chinese parts like, say, Dodge does? They sometimes do or do on some models. You have to be careful these days.

Do keep in mind runtime: you need ALLOT of fuel if you plan to keep the thing running long.

Outages are running longer likely because:

* illegal / untrained labor newly added, and politics

* politics of pushing people to buy generators

you can't well predict what they might do: but you CAN look back onto what they've been doing (your memory of your outages in recent years)

best answer? go see your relatives for a week!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: vehyv ()
Date: September 15, 2017 11:50PM

you CANNOT find who makes Made in USA generators in your price class - and if you do your likely finding it's very few models you weren't looking for - if you even dig in that far

the good made in USA generators are simply not in your price class or are "the permanent home" kind (company installed thousands of dollars units, ie Honeywell, GE)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: ubb9l ()
Date: September 15, 2017 11:53PM

do you run any equipment that cannot reliably connected "on site" do to heavy amperage requirements and (unknowable wiring conditions at site) ?

do you ever plan to sell work doing such things?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: e4tcw ()
Date: September 15, 2017 11:57PM

lmeyf Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Neighborhood Swinging Dick Wrote:

>
> Do keep in mind runtime: you need ALLOT of fuel if
> you plan to keep the thing running long.

Yep. Nothing like having a 50 gallon barrel of gas sitting in your garage in case you lose power for a week??? Unless you plan on driving to someplace that still has power and functioning gas pumps and hauling fuel. Notice gas stations do not have generators. Why is that?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: 93whn ()
Date: September 15, 2017 11:57PM

do you run equipment which could cause an electrical fire if plugged into an unknown electrical socket at a housing building ?

do you have a $175 extention cord and keys to maintenance room for such events?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: not worth it. ()
Date: September 16, 2017 01:18AM

I'd take one over a snowblower, especially since I have a gas furnace for heating. I've used mine 4 times over the past 10 years, I got it at costco for $300. As other said, just drain the gas and carb after each use.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: not worth it. ()
Date: September 16, 2017 01:27AM

What he said Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hc6tj Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If you are going to use a gasoline powered
> > generator you need to commit to running it and
> > refreshing the gas periodically and/or draining
> > the tank when not in use. Gasoline begins to
> > break down over time, something we unused to
> refer
> > to as turning into varnish, and this can cause
> > problems for some motors. Also water vapor can
> > condense inside gas tanks. This can be dealt
> with
> > if you take the time to prepare the engine
> before
> > running it. If you are looking for something
> you
> > can neglect for months or even years and then
> > expect it to be ready at the throw of a switch
> in
> > the middle of a storm you maybe disappointed.
> > Gasoline generators run on a continuous basis
> can
> > use serious amounts of gas. If using it with
> > sensitive electronics you would want to make
> > certain the actual power output was consistent
> > with the tolerances of your devices.
> >
> > My guess is that inexpensive gas generators
> would
> > be more appropriate to run a few hours to allos
> > the freezer to keep food and to recharge your
> cell
> > phone during a long term outage than to allow
> you
> > to maintain business as usual during a short
> term
> > outage.
>
> I have a generator I bought about 20 years ago on
> sale, just to make my wife happy. I've never used
> it, though I came close during Ivan and the
> derecho. Our power came back on after the derecho,
> but a friend's didn't; he came and took it and
> used it for a day or two. When he returned it, I
> thought he'd drained the tank, just realized last
> weekend that he hadn't (I already told you I don't
> use it!). It of course wouldn't start. I went to
> drain the gas by removing the fuel filter, and the
> plastic connector at the bottom of the tank
> disintegrated when I barely touched the fuel line,
> pouring nasty old gas all over. Well, at least the
> tank's empty now! I'm taking it in--I could fix
> it, but I'd rather pay someone to do it who has
> the parts and doesn't mind smelling like gas. Plus
> if they screw it up, I can yell at them, rather
> than having my wife blame me.


Been there, just buy a whole new carburetor on Ebay, you can get them from China on the cheap $20 - $40 in most cases.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: ud3w7 ()
Date: September 16, 2017 01:27AM

not worth it. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd take one over a snowblower, especially since I
> have a gas furnace for heating. I've used mine 4
> times over the past 10 years, I got it at costco
> for $300. As other said, just drain the gas and
> carb after each use.


You have a gas furnace? Okay, what ignites the gas, an electric starter or a pilot light. Also, what powers your blower to distribute your heat? I have a gas furnace and gas hot water heater. Neither work during a power outage.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: not worth it. ()
Date: September 16, 2017 01:33AM

ud3w7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> not worth it. Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'd take one over a snowblower, especially since
> I
> > have a gas furnace for heating. I've used mine
> 4
> > times over the past 10 years, I got it at
> costco
> > for $300. As other said, just drain the gas and
> > carb after each use.
>
>
> You have a gas furnace? Okay, what ignites the
> gas, an electric starter or a pilot light. Also,
> what powers your blower to distribute your heat? I
> have a gas furnace and gas hot water heater.
> Neither work during a power outage.

The generator powers it all, it powers the electric starter and powers the blower. Gas furnaces don't use that much electrical power.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xsmqGXTxUg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: dude that is sketchy ()
Date: September 16, 2017 01:48AM

not worth it. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ud3w7 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > not worth it. Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > I'd take one over a snowblower, especially
> since
> > I
> > > have a gas furnace for heating. I've used
> mine
> > 4
> > > times over the past 10 years, I got it at
> > costco
> > > for $300. As other said, just drain the gas
> and
> > > carb after each use.
> >
> >
> > You have a gas furnace? Okay, what ignites the
> > gas, an electric starter or a pilot light.
> Also,
> > what powers your blower to distribute your heat?
> I
> > have a gas furnace and gas hot water heater.
> > Neither work during a power outage.
>
> The generator powers it all, it powers the
> electric starter and powers the blower. Gas
> furnaces don't use that much electrical power.
>
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xsmqGXTxUg

Okay, that makes sense and is actually pretty cool. But someone is going to kill themselves trying to do this if their furnace is not wired exactly like this guy describes or misses a step. Wonder what insurance companies would think of Joe homeowner doing something like this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: dude that is sketchy ()
Date: September 16, 2017 02:01AM

not worth it. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ud3w7 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > not worth it. Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > I'd take one over a snowblower, especially
> since
> > I
> > > have a gas furnace for heating. I've used
> mine
> > 4
> > > times over the past 10 years, I got it at
> > costco
> > > for $300. As other said, just drain the gas
> and
> > > carb after each use.
> >
> >
> > You have a gas furnace? Okay, what ignites the
> > gas, an electric starter or a pilot light.
> Also,
> > what powers your blower to distribute your heat?
> I
> > have a gas furnace and gas hot water heater.
> > Neither work during a power outage.
>
> The generator powers it all, it powers the
> electric starter and powers the blower. Gas
> furnaces don't use that much electrical power.
>
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xsmqGXTxUg


What about the thermostat? How do you control the heat or do you just unplug it when you are comfortable and plug it back in when cold? This is very interesting and I appreciate the education as I have spent a few winter nights in front of a fireplace with my family during power outages!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: not worth it ()
Date: September 16, 2017 05:54PM

I would say in this area not worth it. The only reason Id get one is AC and freezer goods. Shit in my freezer and fridge is really only worth a few hundred bucks so that doesnt make it worth it. Sucks when its really hot and the ac is out but you know what - when I was young we didnt have ac all the time either and we survived.

Gonna cost you a whole lot more than 200 bucks to run ac. If you are doing it for just TV and computer you wont need to spend a lot but your neighbors are gonna tell you to turn that shit off at 11pm - 200 dollar generator is LOUD. for 800 you can get a really quiet Honda.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: Naw.Dawg ()
Date: September 16, 2017 08:12PM

When my power goes out, I check into a hotel if I don't have power after 8PM. Not the Ritz-Carlton, but not Motel6 either...

Of course, call first and make sure they have power before you book a reservation!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: 1234456 ()
Date: September 16, 2017 09:23PM

1. Just remember to not run the generator INSIDE the house.
2. In case we get a storm here in the future with 50 inches of rain, and the Potomac backs up covering most of nova under 5 ' of floodwater, you will need the generator to be placed high up outside of the house--may need to build a porch on the 2nd story to keep the generator on if things get serious weatherwise around here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: Maintenance Room Keys? ()
Date: September 16, 2017 09:43PM

93whn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> do you run equipment which could cause an
> electrical fire if plugged into an unknown
> electrical socket at a housing building ?
>
> do you have a $175 extention cord and keys to
> maintenance room for such events?

I am a homeowner, not a garden apartment dweller

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: come at me bro ()
Date: September 16, 2017 10:21PM

Can you imagine how loud a generator would be in a neighborhood without power?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: Inverter, APC, Gen? ()
Date: September 16, 2017 10:37PM

OP, with more details. The power lines are above ground. The power goes out about once every two months because some tree fails on a line and the power company takes about 4 hours to 8 hours to fix it.

All I want is to run the computers during that 4 to 8 hours. I don't need AC or refrig power. Frig stays cold enough for those hours.

If I start it every two months or so I should be good on gas. I would use the gas from my mower gas can. Holds about a gallon.

Good advice on the inverter. I'll check into hooking and inverter up.

Maybe some type of APC would do the trip. Hookup two car batteries on a trickle charger and then use an inverter with them when the power goes out.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: Generator ()
Date: September 16, 2017 10:40PM

come at me bro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can you imagine how loud a generator would be in a
> neighborhood without power?

Yes, one of neighbors has a cheap generator and I can't hear it if all my windows are closed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: You're missing the point! ()
Date: September 16, 2017 10:41PM

not worth it. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd take one over a snowblower, especially since I
> have a gas furnace for heating. I've used mine 4
> times over the past 10 years, I got it at costco
> for $300. As other said, just drain the gas and
> carb after each use.

I have an electric snowblower, and a generator in case the power is out and I need to clear the driveway!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: Think I Got it- APC 1500VA ()
Date: September 16, 2017 11:12PM

I think I figure it out. 1500VA APC to power laptop, cable modem, charge cellphone. Costs about $200.

It looks like this might be my solution -

It's all in the battery capacity. I added an additional 35 AH of battery to my 1500 VA system, took my run time from just over 70 minutes to almost 15 hours.that's running one complete PC computer, feeding 2 24/7 internet radio streams, with cable modem, wireless/wired router, voip ata, cordless phone base. Never had any issues with upstream internet access over any power outage. Only problem was when i used up my 15 hours of backup power 7 hours before the power came back on. That happened twice in two months! The charging system has no problem with it. It just takes longer after a complete discharge to recharge all the way.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: not worth it. ()
Date: September 17, 2017 12:52AM

dude that is sketchy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> not worth it. Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > ud3w7 Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > not worth it. Wrote:
> > >
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > I'd take one over a snowblower, especially
> > since
> > > I
> > > > have a gas furnace for heating. I've used
> > mine
> > > 4
> > > > times over the past 10 years, I got it at
> > > costco
> > > > for $300. As other said, just drain the gas
> > and
> > > > carb after each use.
> > >
> > >
> > > You have a gas furnace? Okay, what ignites
> the
> > > gas, an electric starter or a pilot light.
> > Also,
> > > what powers your blower to distribute your
> heat?
> > I
> > > have a gas furnace and gas hot water heater.
> > > Neither work during a power outage.
> >
> > The generator powers it all, it powers the
> > electric starter and powers the blower. Gas
> > furnaces don't use that much electrical power.
> >
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xsmqGXTxUg
>
>
> What about the thermostat? How do you control the
> heat or do you just unplug it when you are
> comfortable and plug it back in when cold? This is
> very interesting and I appreciate the education as
> I have spent a few winter nights in front of a
> fireplace with my family during power outages!


The thermostat runs off batteries. Also it's really easy to wire up, though you could always have someone do it for you, wouldn't be more than a couple hundred bucks to get it done professionally.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: bovine lovin smack ()
Date: September 17, 2017 11:01PM


NO



HD will lead you into the store thinking you can get out for $200 you'll be in for $500 by the time you walk out. availability and such. they're experts at getting you in the door for a product you won't want and sticking it to you for what your likely to buy


If it cannot run a higher amperage tool don't buy it.



Some of the really cheap ones cannot even run a space heater - there are some that can't run a TV.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: asdf 3 ()
Date: September 17, 2017 11:06PM

> The thermostat runs off batteries. Also it's
> really easy to wire up, though you could always
> have someone do it for you, wouldn't be more than
> a couple hundred bucks to get it done
> professionally.


NO. NO HVAC RUNNING OF GEN.**


NOTHING ELSE WILL WORK I PROMISE YOU.



** You have to buy a cutout switch for the "power meter / service" connection installed by an electrician (to be legal). if your %100 lucky you could install the switchover yourself without moving the panel meter due to built-in "slack" - but likely not - electricians are very greedy with wire. At this point the whole house runs off gen, and it's your choice what to turn on.

I guarantee you %100 that unless you have an electrician do it: you cannot hook a generator up to *anything*

(you can only plug movable corded equipment into a gen, like a portable space heater that is not connected to the home or thermostat in any manner whatsoever)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: asdf 3 ()
Date: September 17, 2017 11:08PM


i'll be more clear: it's illegal to do it, against NEC, and may harm or kill electrical workers



(and even if it doesn't - what does "seem to work" will be unsafe in various ways or may be damages)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: pykkd ()
Date: September 17, 2017 11:12PM

> charging system has no problem with it. It just
> takes longer after a complete discharge to
> recharge all the way.

don't listen to APS power supply idiot saying a power converter is going to help you (unless your powering an iPhone :)

it would take SEVERAL AUTOMOTIVE BATTERIES (or auto size lithium ones) being charged (and an expensive converter) to run a (home depot Samsung) refrigerator - and then you'd still have no power for what else. someone on youtube tried it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: grow a pair ()
Date: September 18, 2017 10:36AM

this bag of dicks was wearing a bike helmet in the '70's...but can't protect what is already gone...

if you plug in generator to house wiring remember to:
- turn off ALL circuits especially top main whole house breakers
- turn on ONLY the circuits you need that don't go over generator (never turn on ovens, dryers, ac, furnace, heatpump unless you have a very large generator)

i just leave on some lighting/tv/fridge/well circuits

asdf 3 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>


> i'll be more clear: it's illegal to do it, against
> NEC, and may harm or kill electrical workers
>


>
> (and even if it doesn't - what does "seem to work"
> will be unsafe in various ways or may be damages)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: gukxn ()
Date: September 18, 2017 01:55PM

grow a pair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> this bag of dicks was wearing a bike helmet in the
> '70's...but can't protect what is already gone...
>
> if you plug in generator to house wiring remember
> to:
> - turn off ALL circuits especially top main whole
> house breakers
> - turn on ONLY the circuits you need that don't go
> over generator (never turn on ovens, dryers, ac,
> furnace, heatpump unless you have a very large
> generator)
>
> i just leave on some lighting/tv/fridge/well
> circuits
>
> asdf 3 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------

#1 don't repeat back to me what I already said much better

#2 wrong. if the service is switched completely off (their is no electrical and no ground connection between panels or equipments): there is no need for "turning off circuits". just be selective about what you use "at the same time".

however because your not allowed to touch the meter: it's either a huge job of installing a whole new un-necessary panel, or having an electrician install a switch who knows NEC very well - and knows what KIND of transformer and power distribution system and grounds are implemented

for most people it comes down to: you don't know the design of your power company, and you don't have a KEY to the power meter (the service in)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: UltraRight ()
Date: December 04, 2020 02:48PM

To be honest, I don't understand why you need to buy a generator, it is good in case the light is off in the whole house. So the generator have the role to support the house with power if there happen something with the main source of power. I can recommend you to take a look at the Advantages of an Inverter Generator and to decide what will be good for your house. Personally I have one in my house because we have a poor power station in our town. The thing that I like the most is that the generator is quiet and it automatically sets the needed power in order to save the fuel.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2020 06:59AM by UltraRight.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: Y3MCB ()
Date: December 04, 2020 03:42PM

We got one from Tractor Supply that had good ratings and was really inexpensive. Still sitting there waiting for a power outage..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: EEEBM ()
Date: December 05, 2020 08:45AM

.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: Manly Man ()
Date: December 05, 2020 09:14AM

e4tcw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> lmeyf Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The Neighborhood Swinging Dick Wrote:
>
> >
> > Do keep in mind runtime: you need ALLOT of fuel
> if
> > you plan to keep the thing running long.
>
> Yep. Nothing like having a 50 gallon barrel of gas
> sitting in your garage in case you lose power for
> a week??? Unless you plan on driving to someplace
> that still has power and functioning gas pumps and
> hauling fuel. Notice gas stations do not have
> generators. Why is that?

Generally, if you are the type of person considering a generator powered by gasoline, the issue of storing a few of 5 gallon gas containers is a non-issue.

Personally I am all about burning fossil fuels to make my life better. I have a gas powered Zero Turn mower, push mower, leaf blower, weed whacker, wood chipper, snow blower, chain saws, power washer, and 2 generators.

Always use gasoline that is alcohol free, and use Sta-Bil gasoline treatment to prevent carb/fuel system damage.

This isn't something that everyone wants, but when the power goes out I can get through it with a level of comfort.

Warming the planet - One gallon at a time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: whmd9 ()
Date: December 05, 2020 10:43AM

Sta-Bil may be a solution if you are wintering over your gas. If the plan is to leave gas in the generator for years you are taking chances. Sta-Bil used to say their product was only good for a year. After that the gas may start deteriorating even with Sta-Bil. Also water has a habit of condensing in gas tanks. Over a short period it is unlikely enough will condense to cause problems. Most engines can blast through the occasional drop of water. Let it sit a long time and enough water may accumulate to cause problems. Water and gas don't mix. Water is denser than gas. Without agitation water will accumulate at the bottom of the tank, usually where the fuel intake is located. Water isn't combustible, obviously, and it isn't compressible.

If you are going to rely on a gasoline powered generator for emergencies, commit to periodically running it.

Better yet, if you have a propane grill, consider a dual fuel or propane generator.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: Hey Asshole ()
Date: December 05, 2020 12:45PM

whmd9 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sta-Bil may be a solution if you are wintering
> over your gas. If the plan is to leave gas in the
> generator for years you are taking chances.
> Sta-Bil used to say their product was only good
> for a year. After that the gas may start
> deteriorating even with Sta-Bil. Also water has a
> habit of condensing in gas tanks. Over a short
> period it is unlikely enough will condense to
> cause problems. Most engines can blast through
> the occasional drop of water. Let it sit a long
> time and enough water may accumulate to cause
> problems. Water and gas don't mix. Water is
> denser than gas. Without agitation water will
> accumulate at the bottom of the tank, usually
> where the fuel intake is located. Water isn't
> combustible, obviously, and it isn't
> compressible.
>
> If you are going to rely on a gasoline powered
> generator for emergencies, commit to periodically
> running it.
>
> Better yet, if you have a propane grill, consider
> a dual fuel or propane generator.

There is a proper way to store gasoline power equipment. If you are so stupid to store equipment with gasoline in the tank for a year, then you deserve the damage the fuel system.

Assholes like you talk like an expert, but when it comes to correct info they are actually fucking idiots.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: From one to another ()
Date: December 06, 2020 09:44AM

Listen troll. I don't pretend to be an expert, but I do make an effort to be informed.

The info is correct. Fact is that most people in this area are not particularly good when it comes to maintenance. I would not be surprised if a third of the gasoline powered generators in this area have not been fired up in over two years and many of the people who keep emergency cans of gasoline around have never heard of Sta-Bil, much less read the directions. BTW I checked the Sta-Bil website and they say to throw out their product if not used within two years of opening, another thing most people don't know. As to water in the tank, you can find web sites on that too. My point was there is a readily available alternative that might work better than gas powered generators for those acquiring generators for emergency backup use only.

There is something wrong with people like you that get off on the idea of other people failing or being miserable. You are part of the problem. I am trying to be part of the solution.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: solarized ()
Date: December 06, 2020 10:21AM

For anyone looking to power small usb stuff like iphones and laptops, you can get a small foldable solar unit for about $40 or so, depending on the output. I have one in case of outages, but I do use it camping. Takes a few hours to charge a battery pack, then you are good for the day.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: Liquidat1on ()
Date: December 21, 2020 10:04AM

UltraRight Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------- To be honest, I don't understand why you need to buy a generator, it is good in case the light is off in the whole house. So the generator have the role to support the house with power if there happen something with the main source of power. I can recommend you to take a look at the Advantages of an Inverter Generator and to decide what will be good for your house. Personally I have one in my house because we have a poor power station in our town. The thing that I like the most is that the generator is quiet and it automatically sets the needed power in order to save the fuel.

Really useful thing, I found a perfect generator for my house, thank you!



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2020 10:07AM by Liquidat1on.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: UPS ()
Date: December 21, 2020 03:55PM

I've had a Harbor Freight Predator using it on weekends at a cabin for a couple years and it works like a champ. The Honda is a little quieter but surprisingly the HF has held up fine.

One thing that hasn't been suggested is buying a used good quality server-room type UPSs. You can use it with or without batteries to condition the generator power. You can pick them up inexpensively at auction all the time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: t6jh56 ()
Date: December 21, 2020 04:25PM

UPS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've had a Harbor Freight Predator using it on
> weekends at a cabin for a couple years and it
> works like a champ. The Honda is a little quieter
> but surprisingly the HF has held up fine.
>
> One thing that hasn't been suggested is buying a
> used good quality server-room type UPSs. You can
> use it with or without batteries to condition the
> generator power. You can pick them up
> inexpensively at auction all the time.


if you need a generator it's because niggers in the new power company are taking bribes from asians to keep your power off for weeks at a time to force you to buy AN ASIAN INDUSTRIAL PRODUCT - THEY ARE ALL MADE IN CHINA

DROP DEAD G2



power used to never be out for longer than a day - usually a few hours at most even when it was raining

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: Attention Kmart Shoppers ()
Date: December 21, 2020 04:30PM

Found this on ebay for $180 and FREE SHIPPING !

With sales tax you will be under $200
Attachments:
s-l1600 (1).jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: More Power ()
Date: December 21, 2020 05:12PM

I'm not sure that would be powerful enough to run my microwave oven.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: Full Blown Idiot Device ()
Date: December 21, 2020 05:23PM

Is a suicide cord with male plugs on each end to back feed a house with a generator

Don't ever do it , The backfed power can travel up the line and kill a lineman , it's highly illegal yet people still do it

Get off that big NOVA money and hire a licensed electrican to pull a permit and set you up with a transfer switch to power circuits for the computer and TV refrigerator and if your smart and got the gas furnace not the drafty heat pump you can power your gas furnance which means the controls and blower fan motor which are all 110 120 v and usually 15 or 20 amp circuits depending on the load which your electrician can determine. You can use a small generator or a bigger one , as you can select what circuits to power with the transfer switch set up, a 6000 watt generator set works well with most size houses or you could use a 2000 or even a 1000 watt quite Honda gen set like food trucks have to power one circuit with a small watt load , the electrician has all the info.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: Macho Man Registered Democrat ()
Date: December 21, 2020 05:28PM

I don't need no stinking fossil fuel powered weed wackers . I use plenty of them human powered by illegals for ten dollars a week less then good US Union labor

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: When Your Caculating ()
Date: December 21, 2020 05:37PM

What size the gen set needs to be remember theres starting power as electrical motors pull more amps on start up and running power at a steady load , your electrician can give you details

A transfer switch is a home improvement that can increase your self sufficiancy safety and comfort in summer and winter power outages and also add some value to your homes selling price at a reasonable cost

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: Hey Gerry ()
Date: December 21, 2020 05:44PM

t6jh56 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> UPS Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I've had a Harbor Freight Predator using it on
> > weekends at a cabin for a couple years and it
> > works like a champ. The Honda is a little
> quieter
> > but surprisingly the HF has held up fine.
> >
> > One thing that hasn't been suggested is buying
> a
> > used good quality server-room type UPSs. You
> can
> > use it with or without batteries to condition
> the
> > generator power. You can pick them up
> > inexpensively at auction all the time.
>
>


> if you need a generator it's because niggers in
> the new power company are taking bribes from
> asians to keep your power off for weeks at a time
> to force you to buy AN ASIAN INDUSTRIAL PRODUCT -
> THEY ARE ALL MADE IN CHINA
>
> DROP DEAD G2
>


>
> power used to never be out for longer than a day -
> usually a few hours at most even when it was
> raining

Power to that cabin has been out for several years, because there are no power lines to the place. It's just over the border in West Virginia. There is a creek and I'm setting up a water-powered generator this spring. Until then a little HF generator works fine.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: Black Caulk ()
Date: December 22, 2020 03:18AM

$200 = about 10 watts of power Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Unless things in the real world have changed, $200
> will probably only buy you a hand-cranked
> flashlight and radio.


Better if you spent that money on a hand cranked generator, a nigger, and a whip.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: Adjust your thinking ()
Date: December 22, 2020 08:28AM

Judging from 1860 prices a slave today would probably start at about $100,000 with the annual maintenance running about $10,000 per year. It was cheaper to hire an Irishman in places like Baltimore, DC or Alexandria than to own an unskilled slave. Owning an unskilled slave in places like that was a status thing, like the person today who buys a 5 year old BMW rather than a new Toyota.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: Fuck the Centreville HOA ()
Date: December 22, 2020 11:16AM

I am having this baby installed next month on the side yard of my end unit townhouse in Centreville.
Attachments:
download.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: For A Fat (D)ouble Income Fed ()
Date: December 22, 2020 03:22PM

Who is installing a diesel locomotive 480v 1500 amp generator to power that POS 220V 40 amp heat pump , it figures they need that new 600 dollar stimulis to buy the engine oil it will take alone

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: Sparky The Bogus Electrician ()
Date: December 22, 2020 03:30PM

I put in a 249.00 tranfer switch in myself and got a decent generator with 5500 starting amps and Im staying warm and cool with two 10 k btu window unit ac's I can rig up kept in storege when summer outages occur when T storms hit and stupid liberals cut phone poles down with their cars

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: Sparky Here Again ()
Date: December 22, 2020 03:32PM

"Sucide Cord " anyone !

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: Reddit Insane Comes In My 2Cents ()
Date: December 22, 2020 03:35PM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: cheapskate ()
Date: December 22, 2020 09:52PM

Sparky The Bogus Electrician Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I put in a 249.00 tranfer switch in myself and got
> a decent generator with 5500 starting amps and Im
> staying warm and cool with two 10 k btu window
> unit ac's I can rig up kept in storege when summer
> outages occur when T storms hit and stupid
> liberals cut phone poles down with their cars

For that matter one could argue that even $249 is too much to pay. I could make my own transfer switch in my garage for about $5 or $20 in materials cost -- even with an automatically-triggered set of relays.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: Mr Nice Guy State Executioner ()
Date: December 22, 2020 11:27PM

Yes those automatically triggered relays are what Old Sparky down Jarret uses with a push button switch to start the current flowing at 1800 v and 7.5 amps for 30 seconds followed by 240 v at 1.5 amps for 60 then the cycle is repeated, arn't automatic relays really cool making one touch button executions possible , have a nice day and a good nights sleep thinking about those power generators that wind way up screaming at top speed on execution night as the prison lights dim
Attachments:
OldSparky.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: Mississippi State Switchman ()
Date: December 22, 2020 11:39PM

So Home Depot has generators that only cost 200 dollars , do they put out 2000 volts and 7.5 amps, we dont have money for any fancy relays , I use the good old hand thrown switch, makes um pretty nervous when they see its shadow and my hand slowly reaching for it , yes everone get a good nights sleep good idea . I sleep like a log after work

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: No Generator Racing After 9 PM ()
Date: December 23, 2020 05:45PM

Schedual your executions some other time will you , I work and have to get up early in the morning , someone has to pay taxes for Democrats to squander for future votes

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: Taco Trucker ()
Date: December 23, 2020 06:05PM

I have a 1200 watt Honda generator , cost me 1300 dollars , it worked great and was very quite . It sat outside on the curb in use , my only regret is it was so quite when illegals who swarm my truck stole it I did not know it until I broke out in a puddle of greasy sweat because it powered my fans over the hot flattop and fryer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: SIRIUS B ()
Date: March 26, 2021 06:56PM

iF YOU NEED TO POWER A FRIDGE AND A STOVE, BETTER DO A BIT OF RESEARCH FIRST. https://generatoradvisor.com/cheap-generators/

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: Joncoynie ()
Date: December 01, 2021 01:14PM

I often encountered these problems when I first started surfing. I was surprised at how low-quality these generators were. That's why I decided to look for some other options. Of all these options, I managed to find the coolest ones at https://generatorpick.com/best-portable-generator/. This is the source that showed me positive results and now I can share this recommendation with you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it to buy a cheap $200 generator at Home Depot?
Posted by: 34t3y44 ()
Date: December 02, 2021 06:47PM

THEY ARE ALL MADE IN CHINA

THEY ARE TERRIBLE FOR HEATING - YOU NEED KEROSCENE FOR HEATING (but all those are made in china and are fire hazards - will come apart - poor fasteners - thick iron fasteners are needed for safety FOR A REASON)

for small needs like "keeping the refridgerator running", they are fine. however - ask yourself first why you keep having power outages and if your area "is being screwed".

Options: ReplyQuote


Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
 **     **  ********  **    **  ********  **     ** 
 **     **     **      **  **      **     **     ** 
 **     **     **       ****       **     **     ** 
 **     **     **        **        **     **     ** 
  **   **      **        **        **      **   **  
   ** **       **        **        **       ** **   
    ***        **        **        **        ***    
This forum powered by Phorum.