HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Victor's Pizza, West Springfield...closing?
Posted by: Ancient.Bruin ()
Date: August 07, 2017 05:39PM

Big Shooter Dukes just said on the radio that Victor's is closing. Can anyone confirm this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Victor's Pizza, West Springfield...closing?
Posted by: woooow ()
Date: August 07, 2017 08:27PM

Wow. They've been there forever and their pizza is goood. Why would they be closing?

Posted by: Pbandj ()
Date: August 07, 2017 08:37PM

Arthur Treacher's is moving in there.

Posted by: Clarise ()
Date: August 07, 2017 08:57PM

Grew up in West Springfield and was neighbors with a Greek man who I think took over from the original Victor. This was around 1979. I recall Victor'sPizza Den was around when I first moved ther in 75.

Posted by: bbg ()
Date: August 09, 2017 04:46PM

Confirmed. There is a note on the door thanking customers and saying they are closed, but no reason given. It's a shame we patronized the restaurant at least once a month.

Posted by: God's Food ()
Date: August 09, 2017 05:47PM

woooow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow. They've been there forever and their pizza
> is goood. Why would they be closing?

The property was purchased to build a shiny new Chick-fil-a

Posted by: Ponyboy.Curtis ()
Date: August 10, 2017 12:35AM

Nothing gold can stay...

35 years I have been going to that place...

Posted by: 30 minutes ()
Date: August 10, 2017 01:06AM

It's ok, we still have Dominos

Posted by: Substitute pizza ()
Date: August 10, 2017 11:37PM

Hit coal fire or maleks for your non franchise pies.

Posted by: Maleks is shit ()
Date: August 11, 2017 08:00AM

When you high, everything your friend says is funny and awe inspiring....
When you sober, he not that funny and kinda dumb.

Maleks food be like this.

Posted by: Oven pizza by car ()
Date: August 11, 2017 08:03AM

I was wrestling at west Springfield at the time....
Roy Jones brought a handgun to school and was expelled....
Circa 1987 ?
There was a pickup truck type pizza delivery thingy that delivered VHS rentals to your house.

Black in color.
Always in the current Panera shopping center where the old blockbuster used to be...

Was this real or my imagination?

Posted by: Huh??? ()
Date: August 11, 2017 08:10AM

Oven pizza by car Wrote:
> I was wrestling at west Springfield at the
> time....
> Roy Jones brought a handgun to school and was
> expelled....
> Circa 1987 ?
> There was a pickup truck type pizza delivery
> thingy that delivered VHS rentals to your house.
>
> Black in color.
> Always in the current Panera shopping center where
> the old blockbuster used to be...
>
> Was this real or my imagination?

All of this...is very interesting, Gramps.

D'fuck does it have to do with Victor's Pizza?

Posted by: BobThort ()
Date: August 11, 2017 08:18AM

I worked at the Burke Victors II back in the late 80's as a kid.

That was when the locations were owned by the great Angelopolous family. Best pizza, gyros, souvlaki in the whole dang area. Better than Angies in Twinbrook and that was both places' heyday back then, even with big john stud going to Angies, Victors was still better.

Then the Angelopolous family sold it in the 90's to the new owners, closed the location in Burke, and the Springfield location puttered along OK until about 2013. That's when they started cutting corners badly. The crust, while still good, started to thin out to almost nothing. And the toppings were cut significantly too, order a large cheese pizza and it looks like there were about 10 slivers of cheese on dried out pizza sauce. And don't even get me started on the gyros. They used to stuff it with meat, and me and the wife ordered them about 2 months ago, and hers had 1 slice of gyro meat on it. We hollered and complained on the phone to them and said we were never going back. We never did and here they are closed two months later. Just sad.

Posted by: Nina ()
Date: August 11, 2017 08:25AM

The shopping center landlord wants another chain restaurant in there and priced Victor's out of their space. The owner held out as long as he could, but in the end corporate America won over a mom and pop shop. Sad day, Victor's pizza was the best in town and always supported the local community .

Posted by: Thortbob ()
Date: August 11, 2017 08:34AM

Nina Wrote:
> The shopping center landlord wants another chain
> restaurant in there and priced Victor's out of
> their space. The owner held out as long as he
> could, but in the end corporate America won over a
> mom and pop shop. Sad day, Victor's pizza was the
> best in town and always supported the local
> community .

Maybe if Victors didn't cut so many corners lately and cheat their customers by pretending they serve the same portions and quality of food as back in their heyday, they may have been able to afford the rent. For the last 5 years they've been skimping, and it showed. I know it wasn't just me either, the place was always empty even on Friday/Saturday nights lately.

Posted by: Brennda ()
Date: August 11, 2017 10:14AM

Maybe if Corporate America didn't hike-up the rent when all the other corporate-tenants were getting rent relief, a mom-and-pop wouldn't have to cut corners and and shut their doors. Sad day for all.

Posted by: JRK ()
Date: August 11, 2017 06:19PM

One of the adjacent store owners said it was high rent that caused the closure. It's very sad since Victor's had great food and was such a friendly place to go for a qick lunch or dinner.u

Posted by: 703.Lifer ()
Date: August 11, 2017 07:18PM

People say NOVA is a nice place to live. I see a wasteland of chain businesses with very little room anymore for locally owned enterprises. Especially in the food and beverage and restaurant industry...nearly everything is a chain here. Hell, I remember when 5-Guys was local...just one soul less parking lot after another.

Posted by: SL ()
Date: August 22, 2017 07:55PM

Noooo. This feels like a death. I've been going there with my family since I was an infant (so ~30 years). I'm going to miss it so much :( :( :(

(I wonder how one can get a hold of their pizza florentine recipe...)

Posted by: MWWNE ()
Date: August 22, 2017 08:47PM

Victors was nowhere near as good as Le Trois Continents. That place had mind-blowing pizza.

Posted by: LLTM8 ()
Date: August 24, 2017 07:01AM

Victor's pizza was good a few years ago. Les Trois Continents pizza was good as well, but they had many more options on the menu.

Posted by: now, now... ()
Date: August 24, 2017 07:41AM

703.Lifer Wrote:
> People say NOVA is a nice place to live. I see a
> wasteland of chain businesses with very little
> room anymore for locally owned enterprises.
> Especially in the food and beverage and restaurant
> industry...nearly everything is a chain here.
> Hell, I remember when 5-Guys was local...just one
> soul less parking lot after another.

Even Pizza Hut closed it's doors in the Twinbrook Shopping Center. At least McDonald's is thriving...

Posted by: food critic ()
Date: August 24, 2017 06:10PM

I still consider 5 guys local even though it's now a franchise. BTW, Tiyaki Grill in the same parking lot as Victors has been around a long time and is decent food. They need to work on the ambiance though.

Posted by: 703.Lifer ()
Date: August 24, 2017 07:42PM

food critic Wrote:
> I still consider 5 guys local even though it's now
> a franchise. BTW, Tiyaki Grill in the same
> parking lot as Victors has been around a long time
> and is decent food. They need to work on the
> ambiance though.

5 Guys is to Northern Virginia as Pearl Jam is to Seattle. Remember when "Ten" came out and it was like a bomb going off? Like nothing we had ever heard before...then what happened? 2 or 3 more good albums and then 30 years of mediocrity.

Same thing for 5 Guys...When they were NOVA local, their quality was higher and their price point was lower, even accounting for inflation. No franchise can ever fully duplicate the original...just watch "The Founder". You'll never eat at McDonald's again.

Posted by: Pbandj ()
Date: August 24, 2017 08:16PM

^ Except that 5 Guys started in Arlington.

Posted by: 537068 ()
Date: September 10, 2017 01:27AM

You are right! I heard it was the high rent as well. The current owners have owned it since the mid 90s and the rent has practically tripled as the area has gone up in value. The rent is extremely expensive and like many non-Starbucks establishments cannot pay ransom to make it. So sad!

Posted by: FMiller ()
Date: September 30, 2017 08:13AM

Rent isn't the only problem small businesses face in Fairfax County. Ridiculous County Business Personal Property and other taxes hurt them. Large chains can better absorb the burden.

Posted by: BillWIthers ()
Date: October 07, 2017 05:34PM

Class of '88. Was that the tall punk rock dude with the Mohawk? I believe he was coming after the other "big dude" in school. Ben Neale. Never knew if it was just a rumor. Go Spartans!

Posted by: seen it before ()
Date: November 15, 2017 10:25PM

Two words people - WHOLE FOODS

Posted by: Dr._Walter_Gibbs-Class_of_77 ()
Date: November 18, 2017 08:03PM

Given the less-than-polite/vulgar tirades so prevalent in the other thread on this topic (I know Mrs. Carr would be appalled), let me talk to you here about… soul.

And home.

And loss.

And the wonder of life… and cherished moments… in simpler times.

I find myself now in a unique time when even the food I prepare at home, after a while, all seems the same. I know there are times when most all Northern Virginians go through this malady – be they in their twenties, thirties... or, God help us, forties and beyond.

Funny how other readers have discussed here historical Spartan happenings, or alleged diminishing quality in Victor’s product due to offsets suspected due to the increasing commercial property rent. I myself remember discussions in the kitchen of Mr. Lacy, senior, up the street from my parent’s home, wherein he vehemently swore that it was the SAUCE that was not the same ever since the Angelopolous family sent the one son off to culinary school at Virginia Tech.

By what “license” have I in which to make these comments? My family settled into West Springfield in 1966. Rolling Road became a two-lane country road as it curved to the right and dipped into the woods at the far edge of our Rolling Valley community. Believe it or not, Old Keene Mill Road became a gravel road after the A&P at the western end of the Old Keene Mill Shopping center – and, in the mile that followed, unlike the numb, planed-throughway of today, went on in severe serpentine fashion, snaking and hugging the curves of the wooded hills in the ravines that carved and drained into the Pohick Creek flood plane as we traversed into Burke. When my family left on road trips to Florida, my dad would stop in at the customer service office in the A&P to write a check for cash to use on the road. Amazing then – warped, really… that later on… in the early nineties, I would be singing karaoke in the same spot – in what became Rhiannon’s.

My special Victor’s time? I have two, really… from ‘79 to ’89, I was in a band… of COURSE we rehearsed in my mom’s house in West Springfield. Back then, Victors was “not much to look at”… a hole in the wall with a white drywall shoe-box hall dining area, straight-back; on the bare walls of which hung token stereotypical, framed 8 x 10 Greek landscape photo pictures. AND, there were the two amazing, iconic servers: the “big-hair” lady, who never seemingly showed any emotion; and the sparky, Asian, dark-haired lady who, in that pre-PC-time, electrocuted us four guys with surprisingly-geeky yet great dirty jokes. We loved and appreciated both of these women, and the food they served us was… in a word, indescribably-phenomenal.

Equally wonderful was the time that came after Victor’s bumped out into adjacent real estate and remodeled. Nice, huh? I expect many of you or most of you remember this layout. I have to expect that that was quite an investment for an entrepreneur to make to bring that much ambiance and charm into their establishment… the warm wood booths, the frosted-glass partitions – especially for a small, family-owned mom and pop business. I loved that they kept the front the same: you paraded past the wonderful ovens that baked your dinner, and in the glass counter showcase you saw the wonderful cakes, pies, etc. that the crew also produced. Personally, my only vent is that they did away with the wonderful semolina bread… I can tell you, as a bread lover, I loved that bread with some olive oil… and a Greek salad – with anchovies, thank you.

And I loved that pizza. When I was younger and in the band, I substituted black olives for the green peppers. When I took my kids there, I just let the Victor’s Special come to me as-is. And I will miss Ms. Lynn, who I knew from the neighborhood when we were younger, and, “small world,” she waited on us years later in wonderful fashion. THIS is the combination of small-town connectivity and quality that Chipotle and the like will never give us. Unfortunately… THIS is not on the minds of commercial real estate owners and planners. They will never “get this.” And THIS is why… people move on.
THAT is the Victor’s I introduced my children to… and brought them back to. And they loved it. And now, that is gone.

Let me be clear. I live in Centreville. But I trucked the kids to West Springfield… so that they could see the creeks that I played in as a kid… and could taste the pizza that I shared with me band mates for “those ten years.”

And Victor's sold birch beer… just like Farrell’s in the old Springfield Mall sold real sarsaparilla sodas... “you can’t get this anywhere else.”

Gone.

Food, when “done right,” can be an experience, and sometimes can be a priceless memory. A moment in Brad Bird’s/Pixar’s Ratatouille comes to mind… the moment that Anton Ego tastes the named dish in the film’s title – and in a flash, is transported to the memory of the humble comfort of his youth – stripped of all of the trials and complexities and snarky vice and grief of the adult life he has taken on…

I’ll ask no forgiveness for the Tron and Ratatouille references. Freedom of speech; THIS was part of my experience, and Victor’s was a HUGE part of my experience. I was lucky to share it with my kids. I hope there is some truth to their re-opening in Manassas along 234. I will go there to encourage them, and if you feel the same, I hope you do as well.

And to Victor's, AND to YOU and Yours, a warm and wonderful West Springfield wishes for a happy and healthy and grounded new year.

Cheers.

Posted by: Fuk off ()
Date: November 18, 2017 08:23PM

Dr._Walter_Gibbs-Class_of_77 Wrote:
> Given the less-than-polite/vulgar tirades so
> prevalent in the other thread on this topic (I
> know Mrs. Carr would be appalled), let me talk to
> you here about… soul.
>
> And home.
>
> And loss.
>
> And the wonder of life… and cherished moments…
> in simpler times.
>
> I find myself now in a unique time when even the
> food I prepare at home, after a while, all seems
> the same. I know there are times when most all
> Northern Virginians go through this malady – be
> they in their twenties, thirties... or, God help
> us, forties and beyond.
>
> Funny how other readers have discussed here
> historical Spartan happenings, or alleged
> diminishing quality in Victor’s product due to
> offsets suspected due to the increasing commercial
> property rent. I myself remember discussions in
> the kitchen of Mr. Lacy, senior, up the street
> from my parent’s home, wherein he vehemently
> swore that it was the SAUCE that was not the same
> ever since the Angelopolous family sent the one
> son off to culinary school at Virginia Tech.
>
> By what “license” have I in which to make
> these comments? My family settled into West
> Springfield in 1966. Rolling Road became a
> two-lane country road as it curved to the right
> and dipped into the woods at the far edge of our
> Rolling Valley community. Believe it or not, Old
> Keene Mill Road became a gravel road after the A&P
> at the western end of the Old Keene Mill Shopping
> center – and, in the mile that followed, unlike
> the numb, planed-throughway of today, went on in
> severe serpentine fashion, snaking and hugging the
> curves of the wooded hills in the ravines that
> carved and drained into the Pohick Creek flood
> plane as we traversed into Burke. When my family
> left on road trips to Florida, my dad would stop
> in at the customer service office in the A&P to
> write a check for cash to use on the road. Amazing
> then – warped, really… that later on… in the
> early nineties, I would be singing karaoke in the
> same spot – in what became Rhiannon’s.
>
> My special Victor’s time? I have two, really…
> from ‘79 to ’89, I was in a band… of COURSE
> we rehearsed in my mom’s house in West
> Springfield. Back then, Victors was “not much to
> look at”… a hole in the wall with a white
> drywall shoe-box hall dining area, straight-back;
> on the bare walls of which hung token
> stereotypical, framed 8 x 10 Greek landscape photo
> pictures. AND, there were the two amazing, iconic
> servers: the “big-hair” lady, who never
> seemingly showed any emotion; and the sparky,
> Asian, dark-haired lady who, in that pre-PC-time,
> electrocuted us four guys with surprisingly-geeky
> yet great dirty jokes. We loved and appreciated
> both of these women, and the food they served us
> was… in a word, indescribably-phenomenal.
>
> Equally wonderful was the time that came after
> Victor’s bumped out into adjacent real estate
> and remodeled. Nice, huh? I expect many of you or
> most of you remember this layout. I have to expect
> that that was quite an investment for an
> entrepreneur to make to bring that much ambiance
> and charm into their establishment… the warm
> wood booths, the frosted-glass partitions –
> especially for a small, family-owned mom and pop
> business. I loved that they kept the front the
> same: you paraded past the wonderful ovens that
> baked your dinner, and in the glass counter
> showcase you saw the wonderful cakes, pies, etc.
> that the crew also produced. Personally, my only
> vent is that they did away with the wonderful
> semolina bread… I can tell you, as a bread
> lover, I loved that bread with some olive oil…
> and a Greek salad – with anchovies, thank you.
>
> And I loved that pizza. When I was younger and in
> the band, I substituted black olives for the green
> peppers. When I took my kids there, I just let the
> Victor’s Special come to me as-is. And I will
> miss Ms. Lynn, who I knew from the neighborhood
> when we were younger, and, “small world,” she
> waited on us years later in wonderful fashion.
> THIS is the combination of small-town connectivity
> and quality that Chipotle and the like will never
> give us. Unfortunately… THIS is not on the minds
> of commercial real estate owners and planners.
> They will never “get this.” And THIS is why…
> people move on.
> THAT is the Victor’s I introduced my children
> to… and brought them back to. And they loved it.
> And now, that is gone.
>
> Let me be clear. I live in Centreville. But I
> trucked the kids to West Springfield… so that
> they could see the creeks that I played in as a
> kid… and could taste the pizza that I shared
> with me band mates for “those ten years.”
>
> And Victor's sold birch beer… just like
> Farrell’s in the old Springfield Mall sold real
> sarsaparilla sodas... “you can’t get this
> anywhere else.”
>
> Gone.
>
> Food, when “done right,” can be an experience,
> and sometimes can be a priceless memory. A moment
> in Brad Bird’s/Pixar’s Ratatouille comes to
> mind… the moment that Anton Ego tastes the named
> dish in the film’s title – and in a flash, is
> transported to the memory of the humble comfort of
> his youth – stripped of all of the trials and
> complexities and snarky vice and grief of the
> adult life he has taken on…
>
> I’ll ask no forgiveness for the Tron and
> Ratatouille references. Freedom of speech; THIS
> was part of my experience, and Victor’s was a
> HUGE part of my experience. I was lucky to share
> it with my kids. I hope there is some truth to
> their re-opening in Manassas along 234. I will go
> there to encourage them, and if you feel the same,
> I hope you do as well.
>
> And to Victor's, AND to YOU and Yours, a warm and
> wonderful West Springfield wishes for a happy and
> healthy and grounded new year.
>
> Cheers.

Gramps, let me teach you FOUR LETTERS:
“TL;DR”
That means “too long; didn’t read”
Save your war n peace for Gerry’s next town hall

Posted by: Novasucks ()
Date: November 18, 2017 10:43PM

Fuk off quit being a jerk and respect your elders.

703 lifer nailed it! Life is so homogeneous here. Sorry you're a lifer.

Posted by: Brian4553 ()
Date: January 19, 2018 03:54PM

Try Mangino's on Burke rd. Opposite side of the light where HMart is. Back in that strip mall that no one realizes is there. Really good pizza.

Posted by: Demi & Arthur ()
Date: March 22, 2018 09:43PM

Yes, you are right. My husband and I purchased the restaurant from the original owner in the 1970s. We later bought a resaurant in Annandale, Virginia, and named it Victor’s 2. We loved our customers and our time in Springfield. I miss those days!

Thanks for the mention!

Demi Tsiatsos

Posted by: pizza lover ()
Date: March 23, 2018 12:41AM

Loved Victor's pizza! It was the absolute best!!

Posted by: RFW from Springfield ()
Date: April 24, 2018 08:05PM

I LOVED reading your post Dr. Gibbs Class of 77! You hit on the nostalgia of the Springfield that we remember fondly starting in the 80s. Victors was our family go-to for dining out. Victor's Pizza Florentine is, to this day, our favorite pizza. My kids are 26 through 32 and they grew up on pizza Florentine. I hope, hope, hope, they open a new location. We'll be there!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.