HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Classic Fairfax County School Lunch Offerings from the 1960's thru the 1980's
Posted by: Friday Was Pizza Day ()
Date: July 24, 2017 12:19PM

Anyone remember my favorite lunch from elementary school - Square cheese pizza?

I think they made them right at the school.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Classic Fairfax County School Lunch Offerings from the 1960's thru the 1980's
Posted by: 'Tater ()
Date: July 24, 2017 02:32PM

Tater Tots.

Re: Classic Fairfax County School Lunch Offerings from the 1960's thru the 1980's
Posted by: 80's.Kid ()
Date: July 24, 2017 05:52PM

I remember in the early 80's when FCPS launched the "Super Sack" offering. Yeah...lemme' skip all you mokes waitin' on hot slop and grab a Super Sack and go. Shit...that single innovation reduced my lunchtime by 15 minutes thus giving me more time to live the thug life on the playground significantly earlier.

"Super Sack"...that was like a bomb going off...total game changer.

Posted by: Miss it ()
Date: July 24, 2017 06:35PM

Twin burrito days!

Posted by: Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese ()
Date: July 24, 2017 06:56PM

A Fav..Meatloaf and mashed potatoes and gravy and green beans. Spaghetti and Green Beans with some salad in the Prison pocket Tray..LOL..Baked Chicken Mashed potatoes and gravy , green beans, Fish Sticks Mashed Potatoes no gravy corn.

And Always!! The Big Square School made Yeast Roll with butter..!! The Best rolls ever..!

That was in the day of Prison Trays of Plastic or Dallas Ware plastic dishes in Blue or Yellow, With a brown tray under it. 3 Corner milks and about 30 cents. Then The Ice Cream Sandwich..which was extra..Extra milks were about 3 cents..No Styrofoam crap or Paper expect for napkins..All schools cooked their food and all had a main dish cook, a side dish cook, a baker..For Those Rolls and cakes ..A salad cook and a couple others plus the Kitchen Manager..More staff in High and Jr High schools..

No fried foods..No fryers..state law forbid that as a fire hazard..Tater tots were baked when they had them..Char Burgers came out about 1968-69 as a side item mostly for the brown baggers with the milks and Ice cream..

DAJAX Who Lived in The Golden Days Of School Lunches

Posted by: About 75 Cents ()
Date: July 24, 2017 07:15PM

Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A Fav..Meatloaf and mashed potatoes and gravy and
> green beans. Spaghetti and Green Beans with some
> salad in the Prison pocket Tray..LOL..Baked
> Chicken Mashed potatoes and gravy , green beans,
> Fish Sticks Mashed Potatoes no gravy corn.
>
> And Always!! The Big Square School made Yeast Roll
> with butter..!! The Best rolls ever..!
>
> That was in the day of Prison Trays of Plastic or
> Dallas Ware plastic dishes in Blue or Yellow, With
> a brown tray under it. 3 Corner milks and about 30
> cents. Then The Ice Cream Sandwich..which was
> extra..Extra milks were about 3 cents..No
> Styrofoam crap or Paper expect for napkins..All
> schools cooked their food and all had a main dish
> cook, a side dish cook, a baker..For Those Rolls
> and cakes ..A salad cook and a couple others plus
> the Kitchen Manager..More staff in High and Jr
> High schools..
>
> No fried foods..No fryers..state law forbid that
> as a fire hazard..Tater tots were baked when they
> had them..Char Burgers came out about 1968-69 as
> a side item mostly for the brown baggers with the
> milks and Ice cream..
>
> DAJAX Who Lived in The Golden Days Of School
> Lunches

We called those Char Burgers - Soy Burgers, but I don't know what they were actually from.

A Char Burger, tater tots, a piece of square chocolate cake with powder sugar sprinkled on it, and wash it all down with 2 cartons of Shenandoah's Pride milk.

That was the life!

Posted by: Yes They Were Soy.. ()
Date: July 24, 2017 08:34PM

Maybe all soy..They had a taste to them That you got used to and they were not bad .But I like The Good real food

Gotta Find A Char Burger..Hello..Mr Murry !!

DAJAX Gotta Get in The Old School Lunch Kick..Make those rolls again..and get some applesauce..they had a lot of Applesauce and corn and green beans..and real butter cause the US gave it to um and turkeys that the US gave um too.. Turkey and Gravy and Mashed Potatoes..And Green Beans and a School Yeast Roll!! I made the rolls a couple times..Not as big..not as good as the school ones..those baker lady's had it all down..
Attachments:
DajaxYeastrolls.jpg
Readytobake.jpg

Posted by: school lunches ()
Date: July 24, 2017 08:44PM

My parents always used to make me take my lunch. Usually leftover Arthur Treacher's fish and some of the remaining chips and an old hush puppy or two. Maybe some warm cole slaw. No Fanta for lunch. No soda allowed.

­
Posted by: chuckhoffmann ()
Date: July 24, 2017 10:34PM

­

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2017 04:17AM by chuckhoffmann.

Posted by: That Was Called 2 Much Salt ()
Date: July 24, 2017 11:03PM

>weird chemical taste and was damned near inedible

2 slices..2400mg sodium..Glad your still with us..as that was ..Only The Mid Day Eat..Good thing You could not afford 3..Guess you wern't on...Welfare..!

DAJAX..LOL.. Hell..I did it..too.. But They never had Pizza when I was in school..I guess you could say..Im Old School..LOL!!..A Geezer..!!

Leaving Red and Gold Plumbers Trucks Alone Now..Back To Salt Bashing..I do plumbing..but some of the overhead sweats have been a bitch with bronze ball valves..till I got "The Hang Of It" ..When Ever I have to do some Plumbing..I Think I'm with the 3 Stooges Make It ..4 ...With Me...A Plumbing We Will Go..!

Posted by: BiteRite ()
Date: July 24, 2017 11:41PM

BiteRite Fishburger

Posted by: Shootin Craps ()
Date: July 24, 2017 11:45PM

Back in the 60's we used to get sliced roast beef with gravy on a piece of bread with mashed potatoes and green beans. Good stuff.

Posted by: Laurel Ridge Luncher ()
Date: July 25, 2017 05:00AM

In the 70's, they had foot-long hot dogs once per month that were awesome. Tasted just like the ball park.

And they had a special Thanksgiving lunch AND a Christmas "dinner" which was turkey, similar to the thanksgiving lunch.

On St, Patrick's day we got yellow cake with green icing.

I kind of understand dropping the Judeo-Christian themed lunches, but wouldn't it have been better to add lunches celebrating other religions and cultures so we could have experienced them?

Posted by: Silent Cal's Answer..NO ()
Date: July 25, 2017 11:41AM

>but wouldn't it have been better to add lunches celebrating other religions and cultures so we could have experienced them?

Anything other then Tacos Or Burritos with beef would have gone to the Round Can

And they could Not Fry English Fish and Chips ! But They Did Have The Greatest English Dish of All..Shepard's Pie.!

DAJAX

Posted by: Class of 77 ()
Date: July 25, 2017 11:58AM

Laurel Ridge Luncher Wrote:
> In the 70's, they had foot-long hot dogs once per
> month that were awesome. Tasted just like the
> ball park.
>
> And they had a special Thanksgiving lunch AND a
> Christmas "dinner" which was turkey, similar to
> the thanksgiving lunch.
>
> On St, Patrick's day we got yellow cake with green
> icing.
>
> I kind of understand dropping the Judeo-Christian
> themed lunches, but wouldn't it have been better
> to add lunches celebrating other religions and
> cultures so we could have experienced them?

If you had the "Munchies" after being in the "Smoking Lounge", those big pieces of cake were great.

Posted by: Memorys Of The Days Of Ole' ! ()
Date: July 25, 2017 12:16PM

They did have Tacos now and then, with the boxed shells and ground beef and cheese, They filled um with meat and cheese and ran um thru the oven a tad, Tacos were served with lettuce and some diced tomatoes on the side, not as messy to make and Sweet Canned Corn with US Butter on it as the side dish plus the cake Natch.

Burritos were too much hassle to make on the line, and Frozen ones were too expensive.. as they would be beef for the required protein ..I don't remember them

Dallas Wear School Lunch Trays For Your Next.."Black Tie Dinner"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Dallas-Ware-School-Cafeteria-MELMAC-Lunch-Tray-Divided-Yellow-Vintage-USA-/201912391455?hash=item2f02ea971f:g:MswAAOSw7FRWZjg5

DAJAX The Dishes were For Girls Schools at the time..They were Forward Thinking For Todays..FCPS..Were Men Can Go to the Girls Bathroom...
Attachments:
ForwardThing4FCPSToday.jpg

Posted by: Sloppy Joe ()
Date: July 25, 2017 01:10PM

Sloppy Joes

Posted by: Mammaries ()
Date: July 26, 2017 03:41AM

In Loudoun we had "Cowboy hats"...

A slice of baloney with a scoop of instant mashed potatoes on top.

Posted by: Sooo hongry ()
Date: July 26, 2017 04:15AM

Silent Cal's Answer..NO Wrote:
> >but wouldn't it have been better to add lunches
> celebrating other religions and cultures so we
> could have experienced them?
>
> Anything other then Tacos Or Burritos with beef
> would have gone to the Round Can
>
> And they could Not Fry English Fish and Chips !
> But They Did Have The Greatest English Dish of
> All..Shepard's Pie.!
>
> DAJAX
Attachments:
530eb54.jpg

Posted by: Waxing Nostalgic ()
Date: July 26, 2017 06:52AM

Really.

Posted by: David in FC ()
Date: July 26, 2017 06:38PM

I went to Shrevewood Elementary in the late '60's into the '70's. I remember fondly the pizza that was one of the offerings every Friday. There was always another choice if you didn't like Pizza, but that was a staple.
The spaghetti was always good too. They used to have family spaghetti nights, where the whole family could buy tickets and come and eat it. I think it helped the PTA or something.
The foot long hot dogs were always popular, but looking back, they really weren't that much longer than the bun itself, if I remember correctly, so they weren't a foot long.
Our school had something that they called "Lincoln Logs", which, being elementary school kids, we found amusing. I think that they were some kind of small sausage that was covered in gravy. Sorry, it's been a while.
And lunch cost 35 cents. I still remember my Mother giving each one of us a quarter and a dime for lunch. I think the ice cream sandwich was another nickel or dime, so I didn't get that very often.
No tacos, not burritos. And not shepherd's pie at my school. But that's OK, my Mother used to make that at home anyway. I still make it, one of my favorite meals.

Posted by: My Twisted Mind ()
Date: July 26, 2017 06:48PM

David in FC Wrote:
They used to have family spaghetti nights, where the whole
> family could buy tickets and come and eat it.

So funny the way you put that - If you read it several times.

Posted by: David in FC ()
Date: July 26, 2017 06:51PM

My Twisted Mind Wrote:
> David in FC Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> They used to have family spaghetti nights, where
> the whole
> > family could buy tickets and come and eat it.
>
> So funny the way you put that - If you read it
> several times.

It, It, It, It, It.
Yeah I see what you're saying.
I wasn't trying to be a comedian though.

Posted by: My Twisted Mind ()
Date: July 26, 2017 06:56PM

David in FC Wrote:
> My Twisted Mind Wrote:
> -----
> > David in FC Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > They used to have family spaghetti nights,
> where
> > the whole
> > > family could buy tickets and come and eat it.
> >
> > So funny the way you put that - If you read it
> > several times.
>
> It, It, It, It, It.
> Yeah I see what you're saying.
> I wasn't trying to be a comedian though.

I had this vision of families coming together in the school cafeteria, and eating the sacred spaghetti - Almost like a religious experience.

But that is truly my twisted mind -

Posted by: Ludwig ()
Date: July 26, 2017 07:50PM

We had a line for pizza. A line for steak and cheese. Really gross. A line for every thing else which changed daily and a line for milk shakes. Chocolate only!

Posted by: Was That School...?? ()
Date: July 26, 2017 08:31PM

>In Loudoun we had "Cowboy hats"...A slice of baloney with a scoop of instant mashed potatoes on top.

Just next to the West Va Border..LOL In Middleburg I heard they had Prime Rib..!!

DAJAX With Asparagus and Yorkshire Pudding..Natch

"Cowboy Hats"..How Cool..For the Boot Scooting Crowd..The Newest Food Craze..Ya!! Baby!! Destined. For Consumption..in a Fredericksburg Trailer.. I don't Have Baloney or a Potato..but I will soon..!!!!

Posted by: Locked up ()
Date: July 26, 2017 08:40PM

Mammaries Wrote:
> In Loudoun we had "Cowboy hats"...
>
> A slice of baloney with a scoop of instant mashed
> potatoes on top.

Loudoun County ADC?

Posted by: phelpsmarc ()
Date: July 26, 2017 10:11PM

80's.Kid Wrote:
> I remember in the early 80's when FCPS launched
> the "Super Sack" offering. Yeah...lemme' skip all
> you mokes waitin' on hot slop and grab a Super
> Sack and go. Shit...that single innovation reduced
> my lunchtime by 15 minutes thus giving me more
> time to live the thug life on the playground
> significantly earlier.
>
> "Super Sack"...that was like a bomb going
> off...total game changer.

I remember "Super Sack." It was actually around 1979 that they introduced it. I alternated between bringing my lunch, buying the hot lunch and the super sack.

The cold turkey sandwich was actually pretty good.

If I remember correctly, the hot lunch choices had dwindled by 1979.

When I hit junior high in 1981, I don't remember there being any choices besides "hamburgers" - which were in actuality soy burgers, or the aforementioned square pizza. Every day was Pizza Day. I remember I often got double portions of square pizza and fries. The fries were so greasy, the bottom of the bag was usually saturated. Come to think of it, it is a miracle my arteries are not clogged as we speak. Maybe they are.

When I started elementary school in 1974, they actually gave you a solid tray and silver utensils. Then, after a couple of years, it was paper trays and plastic utensils. Lunch was 40 cents in 1974. Ice Cream was 10 cents. One time I didn't have the 10 cents so I told some girl in my class I would give her a dollar the next day if she gave me 10 cents. That's how bad I wanted an ice cream sandwich. I stole a dollar from my dad's wallet to repay her the next day.

Good times

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2017 10:43PM by phelpsmarc.

Posted by: phelpsmarc ()
Date: July 26, 2017 10:39PM

chuckhoffmann Wrote:
> In the early 1980s, FCPS served a pepperoni pizza
> that was the mother fucking
> bomb
. I loved that shit and
> would eat two slices a day, and only because I
> couldn't afford three.
>
> Then, shortly before I transferred out, they
> must've switched suppliers because they started
> serving this shit that had a weird chemical taste
> and was damned near inedible.
>
> I still think about that pizza sometimes. It was
> probably some cheap-ass frozen shit with more soy
> than meat in the pepperoni, but I never found out
> what brand it was and have never found another
> brand that recreates the taste.

I had forgotten about that pizza

yep, it was really good.

1982-1983 they had it at my junior high. Two pieces and two fries, with a shenandoah's pride blue and orange milk - which I had to use a straw for when I ripped it apart incorrectly. Remember, you were supposed to drink right out of the carton.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2017 10:45PM by phelpsmarc.

Posted by: They Were Prepping.. ()
Date: July 26, 2017 10:49PM

>Then, after a couple of years, it was paper trays and plastic utensils.

For the Hordes Of Illegals..and had to figure out ways to Save Money...to keep a Huge Future Gatehouse Staff..and pay the Credit Card Bills For Future.."High Class..Eat Out ..Meetings.." LOL

DAJAX

Posted by: fxcorad ()
Date: July 27, 2017 08:05PM

My FC elementary school used to serve peanut butter on celery as part of the meal. That would be so non-allergen nowadays. Now I think parents are afraid if you even say "gluten" to kids, the kids will break out in hives.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: July 27, 2017 08:09PM

I remember the Char-burgers. we called them Soy burgers too. On field trips I remember one option was cold fried chicken. No chicken strips in those days. We had silverware in elementary school. In high school they switched to sporks.

Posted by: fxcograd ()
Date: July 27, 2017 08:11PM

phelpsmarc Wrote:
> chuckhoffmann Wrote:
> -----
> > In the early 1980s, FCPS served a pepperoni
> pizza
> > that was the mother fucking
> > bomb
. I loved that shit and
> > would eat two slices a day, and only because I
> > couldn't afford three.
> >
> > Then, shortly before I transferred out, they
> > must've switched suppliers because they started
> > serving this shit that had a weird chemical
> taste
> > and was damned near inedible.
> >
> > I still think about that pizza sometimes. It
> was
> > probably some cheap-ass frozen shit with more
> soy
> > than meat in the pepperoni, but I never found
> out
> > what brand it was and have never found another
> > brand that recreates the taste.
>
> I had forgotten about that pizza
>
> yep, it was really good.
>
> 1982-1983 they had it at my junior high. Two
> pieces and two fries, with a shenandoah's pride
> blue and orange milk - which I had to use a straw
> for when I ripped it apart incorrectly. Remember,
> you were supposed to drink right out of the
> carton.

Straws were safer. When someone was drinking from the carton, it was game to make them laugh so milk would come out their nose.

Posted by: Shootin Craps ()
Date: July 27, 2017 11:23PM

I went to Westlawn in the 60's I have to agree with David in FC that Friday pizza was the best. Doing cold war atomic bomb sheltering drills was even better.

Posted by: milk money ()
Date: July 29, 2017 01:27AM

I brought my lunch to school, as did most of my friends. Our mothers fixed them. A simple sandwich and an apple. That was it. We were all thin.

Posted by: I was Going To Get ()
Date: July 29, 2017 03:34PM

That slice of Baloney for that.."Cowboy Hat"..LOL..Second thought. Ill Pass..!!

DAJAX

Posted by: Mike O'Meara Show Fan ()
Date: July 29, 2017 03:56PM

Even as a kid DAJAX was supplementing his diet out behind the school with hobo jism. That explains all the chalk marks on his school building, hobos saying "Cum guzzler here!"

DAJAX loves his jizz-um, natch!

Posted by: Sent to the office .....again ()
Date: July 29, 2017 08:19PM

We loved popping those little milk cartons by stomping on them with our feet.

Posted by: i was there ()
Date: July 29, 2017 11:45PM

I would eat four things in the school cafeteria. The cheese pizza. The tator tots. The ice cream. And when I got to MS/HS, the soft pretzels with mustard. Loved those things.

Posted by: junk food ()
Date: July 30, 2017 01:55AM

When I was growing up, the kids who bought their lunch were from the lower socioeconomic class. They were the third trackers.

Posted by: Bradley.Uppercrust, III ()
Date: July 30, 2017 02:52AM

junk food Wrote:
> When I was growing up, the kids who bought their
> lunch were from the lower socioeconomic class.
> They were the third trackers.

When I was growing up, the kids who went to public school were from the lower socioeconomic class.

Posted by: Pizza da Hut ()
Date: October 08, 2017 03:47PM

Shootin Craps Wrote:
> I went to Westlawn in the 60's I have to agree
> with David in FC that Friday pizza was the best.
> Doing cold war atomic bomb sheltering drills was
> even better.

pizza was special back then

Posted by: Yankee Immigrant ()
Date: October 08, 2017 04:48PM

Circa 1970 in the midwest...lunch was 5 cents and the student favorite was "pizza burgers" which were hamburger mixed with pizza sauce on half a burger bun, toasted with melted mozzarella on top. We also got "pronto pups" aka corn dogs on another day, which was different from foot-long hotdog day. Yet another meal was the "California Burger" which was a burger with lettuce and tomato, and mayo on the side (no avocado, those hadn't been invented yet).

Posted by: I was there ()
Date: October 08, 2017 10:25PM

Those little cartons of milk always tasted so nasty. Couldn't drink those things.

Posted by: Big Bite ()
Date: October 08, 2017 10:59PM

we had the Big Bite lunch,,. gave you more food, think we were the guinea pigs for the Super Size fads that were to follow and all the fatties.

I loved the sausage pizza...mmmm.

Posted by: fcpsoldschool ()
Date: October 09, 2017 02:42PM

The fcps peanut butter cookies !!!!

Posted by: Peetey ()
Date: October 09, 2017 10:17PM

Went to Fort Hunt Elementary in the 80's. Cardboard trays, plastic utensils. Food was passable - I remember the vegetable soup being really good. Always got the taco salad when that was offered too. Nice cup of chili and a bag of chips to go with the salad. The chicken always came with these stiff little hexagonal biscuits. The spaghetti was pretty terrible.

The holiday lunches were something to look forward to. I just started going to the Thanksgiving lunch at my kid's school last year (still FCPS) and it is EXACTLY the same. Sitting there eating my slice of turkey and scoop of stuffing brought me right back to 1985.

For dessert - Linden's Butter Crunch cookies, for like an extra 15 cents. I recently (within the past 2 or 3 years) found them again. Every bit as delicious as I remember them being. Killed a case in like 3 days.

Posted by: Emvee ()
Date: October 09, 2017 11:05PM

I remember the steak and cheese subs at Mt. Vernon in the early 80's, with some kind of dressing on them that made my nose tickle. You could also get Tastekake coffee cake and a chocolate shake for a couple of bucks. Good times.

Posted by: DHENN ()
Date: October 10, 2017 03:19AM

curly fries

honey buns from the vending machine

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.