HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Near-brawl follows boxing match at MGM National Harbor
Posted by: Fox News ()
Date: May 21, 2017 12:22PM

VIDEO https://mobile.twitter.com/ShowtimeBoxing/status/866090606690357248

http://wtop.com/other-sports/2017/05/russell-stops-escandon-retain-wbc-featherweight-belt/

Gary Russell Jr. began his first hometown fight night by manning his brothers’ corners.

He closed it with an apology for the near-melee created by super middleweight Andre Dirrell’s trainer in the co-featured bout.

In between, he made easy work of Oscar Escandon, stopping him in the seventh round to successfully defend his WBC featherweight title for the second time.

“I knew Escandon wanted to come and bring his best,” Russell said. “I was ready for him.”

Earlier, Dirrell won the IBF interim super middleweight title by disqualification over Jose Uzcategui in a bout overshadowed by Dirrell trainer Leon Lawson Jr. throwing a series of punches at Uzcategui following the fight.

“I want to apologize for the gladiators,” Russell said. “The Dirrell camp, sometimes emotions build up and take the best of us. Please forgive them.”

Russell (28-1, 17 KOs) also floored Escandon (25-3) early in the third round.

The victory came more than a year after his last, and completed a sibling sweep at the MGM National Harbor just miles from his hometown of Capitol Heights.

Brothers Gary Antuanne Russell and Gary Antonio Russell won their fights on the undercard. The brothers are trained by father Gary Russell Sr.

“I’m ecstatic,” the father said. “I got three wins. Three stoppages. It’s my birthday. I’m 15 minutes from home and I can go home and relax.”

After controlling the first two rounds, Russell knocked down the Colombian with a right hook seconds into the third.

Russell stayed on the attack as the round resumed, and appeared to be close to another knockdown before the round ended, but Escandon survived without further damage.

It was another right hook that sent Escandon backpedaling four rounds later. This time, referee Harvey Dock immediately intervened.

“I didn’t see him coming with the big punch he threw at the end and that was it,” Escandon said through an interpreter. “I went down and was hoping to get a 10 count but the referee didn’t give it to me and he stopped the fight.”

Uzcategui (26-2) sent Dirrell (26-2) to the the canvas with a combination that referee Bill Clancy ruled came after the bell. Uzcategui led on two of three judges’ scorecards at the time, and was tied on the other.

Medical staff examined Dirrell, who eventually got to his feet and hugged Uzcategui and his camp. Moments later, Dirrell’s uncle and trainer Lawson attacked Uzcategui, who had to be restrained from retaliating and was eventually rushed out of the arena.

Local police are seeking Lawson for questioning.

“I’m sorry for what my coach has done,” Dirrell said. “My coach is my family, my uncle, and he was worried. He cares for me. He loves me. Please forgive him.”

Rances Barthelemy (26-0) beat Kirill Relikh (25-3) my unanimous decision in a WBA super lightweight eliminator.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ShowtimeBoxing/status/866090606690357248

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2017 12:26PM by Fox News.
Attachments:
Screenshot_2017-05-21-12-25-38.png

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Near-brawl follows boxing match at MGM National Harbor
Date: May 21, 2017 12:30PM

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2710855-andre-dirrells-uncle-punches-jose-uzcategui-after-fight-ends-in-dq

Andre Dirrell won the interim 168-pound title fight Saturday when his opponent, Jose Uzcategui, was disqualified for knocking Dirrell out after the eighth-round bell.

However, the disqualification took a backseat when Dirrell's uncle punched Uzcategui after the fight. Dan Rafael of ESPN reported Dirrell's uncle, Leon Lawson, "is wanted by cops and they don't know where he is."

Nigel Collins of ESPN reacted to the ordeal:

Dirrell's uncle should be arrested. Terrible cheap shot. Jose Uzcategui wasn't even looking. That's a cowardly move.
https://mobile.twitter.com/NigelBoxing/status/866092081210699781

Dirrell commented on his uncle's actions, per Brian Campbell of CBS Sports: "I'm very sorry for what my coach has done. But he loves me. That's my man, that's my uncle, that's my brother, that's my coach."

Showtime Boxing shared Uzcategui's punch after the bell that led to the frustration from Lawson and other members of Dirrell's family.

Eric Woodyard of MLive noted Dirrell's brothers, Anthony and Willie, were restrained ringside at the MGM National Harbor in Oxon Hill, Maryland.

For his part, Dirrell stressed his love for his opponent, per Woodyard, ""All I remember honestly was him catching me with a shot probably at the same time as the bell rang because I remember hearing the bell. But after that, it's a blurred vision but I do want to say this, I love Uzcategui and I love his camp."

According to Ian Quillen of the Associated Press (h/t ABC News), Uzcategui was actually leading on two of the three judges' scorecards and was tied on the other when he delivered his punch after the bell. He cost himself a victory with the move, although that didn't stop Lawson from entering the ring and landing a sucker punch.

Posted by: Space Ghost ()
Date: May 21, 2017 02:57PM

Can someone stop this guy from spamming this forum with news stories and giant screenshots? This is a discussion forum. If I want to read the news, I'll go to a news site.

Date: May 21, 2017 04:11PM

Space Ghost Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can someone stop this guy from spamming this forum
> with news stories and giant screenshots? This is a
> discussion forum. If I want to read the news, I'll
> go to a news site.

I provide a valuable service that people appreciate since I bring the news to them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: I'm with fox ()
Date: May 22, 2017 10:38PM

That used to irritate me too but he's grown on me. At least he posts some news and not random streams of consciousness. His timeliness has improved too.

Posted by: PG = NIGGER ()
Date: May 22, 2017 11:20PM

Surprised
Attachments:
IMG_3718.PNG
IMG_4441.GIF
IMG_5130.JPG
IMG_5140.JPG

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.