HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fairfax County workers take home over $100K in overtime; sparks policy review (One fire technician made $270,918.46 in 2016)
Posted by: Fox News ()
Date: May 03, 2017 01:36AM

http://wtop.com/fairfax-county/2017/05/fairfax-co-workers-take-home-100k-overtime-sparks-policy-review/

Fairfax County will review overtime policies after more than 1,700 county workers earned over $100,000 last year, due in part to overtime or other additional pay.

One fire technician with a base scheduled salary of around $90,000 ended up with three times that gross income — making $270,918.46 in 2016, thanks in large part to $156,000 in overtime pay. Two-thirds of the overtime pay was tied to callback pay, an additional minimum payment for firefighters who are called back to work after leaving for the day.

Springfield District Supervisor Pat Herrity, who requested the list, called that “a little steep.”

If first responders are overworked, he said, “They’re not just fiscal issues — they’re public safety issues.”

Over 1,700 (1,718) county employees who are not department heads earned at least $100,000 last year and received some kind of overtime, bonus or other additional payments beyond their base salaries (819 other county employees earned at least $100,000, but either served as department heads or did not receive any additional payments beyond expected salaries).

Nearly all of the 1,718 county workers who made more than $100,000 and got overtime or other payments work in the fire, police or sheriff’s departments.

While Herrity expects that first responders will always have some level of overtime because they need to stay on the job when there is an emergency, he hopes filling fire department vacancies or revising policies could address a number of issues.

“I’m looking for things like the definition of overtime,” he said. “What are we doing to avoid overtime? Do we have staffing shortages that are driving the overtime?”

County staff told Herrity in a written response that accompanied the list of workers that some of the employees could have changed jobs during the year or could hold multiple positions in the county government.

“I don’t have all the answers, but I’ve got lots of questions,” Herrity said.

The Board of Supervisors Tuesday directed the county staff to review overtime pay and scheduling policies in all county departments based on financial and safety impacts. The review is intended to include comparisons with other jurisdictions in the region.

The top 16 overtime earners were paid more than $90,000 last year in overtime alone.
Attachments:
Screenshot_2017-05-03-01-36-23.png
Screenshot_2017-05-03-01-36-41.png
Screenshot_2017-05-03-01-36-58.png

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax County workers take home over $100K in overtime; sparks policy review (One fire technician made $270,918.46 in 2016)
Posted by: overtimepay ()
Date: May 03, 2017 02:50AM

How much is overtime pay compared to normal pay? Is it time and a half?

Re: Fairfax County workers take home over $100K in overtime; sparks policy review (One fire technician made $270,918.46 in 2016)
Posted by: Local FF ()
Date: May 03, 2017 07:07AM

These politicians are amazing.

It's the same bullshit "oh my gosh, I'm shocked by this we need to look into it".

It's been going on forever and all of them know it. All the FD studies have repeatedly stated that it's cheaper to pay these guys huge sums of money every year using callback than to hire more staff. Given the benefits overlay, recruiting and training costs, it's simply cheaper.

And it's a huge recruiting tool. If they weren't hung up on "diversity hires" they would be able to hire some serious talent given that young single guys can easily make 200K a year.

Posted by: Where do I sign up? ()
Date: May 03, 2017 07:42AM

FUCK! The highest I was ever paid at any job was $102K base, plus commission. I think I netted about $120K that year and a shit ton of it went to taxes!

Posted by: Badeye ()
Date: May 03, 2017 07:47AM

Righteous bucks!

Posted by: EWwp3 ()
Date: May 03, 2017 08:15AM

Where do I sign up? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> FUCK! The highest I was ever paid at any job was
> $102K base, plus commission. I think I netted
> about $120K that year and a shit ton of it went to
> taxes!

$140K salary job here. Feds take 20K in taxes. Cannot remember what State takes. Tax time I owe another $2100 to both Fed and State.

Wonder what Trump's tax revision will do with my tax return.

Date: May 03, 2017 09:40AM

EWwp3 Wrote:
> Where do I sign up? Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > FUCK! The highest I was ever paid at any job
> was
> > $102K base, plus commission. I think I netted
> > about $120K that year and a shit ton of it went
> to
> > taxes!
>
>
> $140K salary job here. Feds take 20K in taxes.
> Cannot remember what State takes. Tax time I owe
> another $2100 to both Fed and State.
>
> Wonder what Trump's tax revision will do with my
> tax return.

Trump will tax 100% of your salary since that's what his friend in N. Korea does to his citizens

Posted by: Fire Money ()
Date: May 03, 2017 10:44AM

God this county suck BIG TIME at managing it's money.

Not only is the county board being paid of by developers to allow over building in density tight areas, now we are seeing the result of them raiding our tax dollars.

Posted by: fun fact ()
Date: May 03, 2017 10:57AM

It takes 54 average size homes worth of property tax revenue to pay this 1 employee.

Posted by: Take A Look At The List ()
Date: May 03, 2017 12:04PM

Fire Dept people on the team that goes round the world for FEMA. Every time they go somewhere they get OT 24/7.So the big question is. Why? Let FEMA hire them or better contractors so FXCO can cut 50 FF jobs. There are people that do nothing but order supplies for these teams that are firefighters. They can at least hire regular county employee's to do that behind the scene work at lower cost and not as generous retirement.

FEMA does pay FXCO back for some of this. But not the retirement bennies that 50 FF positions require or med ins and other bennies. These teams create a lot of jealousy, as to who gets picked. With all the politics behind the reasons for them getting on the team to get to make the big OT dollars.

The good thing is that the OT does not raise their retirements. California does that and that's one reason their about bankrupt and will want the US taxpayers to bail them out.

Red Adair Co of Texas was and Boots and Coots is a contractor that puts out oil well fires. Don't tell me contractors cant do this for FEMA for disasters.

Posted by: Fire Guy ()
Date: May 03, 2017 01:28PM

A decade ago they tried to fix the overtime issue in the Fire Department by utilizing volunteers! Volunteers would ride on career units when a paid FF called out sick, thus preventing overtime and call back pay. The paid firefighters retaliated and some volunteers who showed up to work a shift were threatened if they didn't leave! The union filled some type of action against the county, who eventually cancelled the policy.

Most of the paid firefighters in Fairfax County have second jobs to supplement their income. But making nearly $170K in overtime pay is nuts and would require a lot of extra shifts!

Posted by: Killed by Cost of Living ()
Date: May 03, 2017 01:28PM

Nice.
I've been in the region for almost 20 years and I can barely afford my bills.
Should have been a fire technician I suppose.

Posted by: Absolute Bullshit ()
Date: May 03, 2017 02:12PM

Fire Guy Wrote:

> Most of the paid firefighters in Fairfax County
> have second jobs to supplement their income. But
> making nearly $170K in overtime pay is nuts and
> would require a lot of extra shifts!

When overtime pay exceeds regular base salary their is huge mismanagement and somebody needs to be fired.

Posted by: 6dkcg ()
Date: May 03, 2017 05:58PM

Don't hate the player, hate the game. Sounds like the FD needs to hire more bodies.

Posted by: Lifesavinghero ()
Date: May 03, 2017 06:03PM

remember it's 100k in overtime.

That sounds on top of the 56hrs/week they work to begin with.

That's a lot of time away from home and family.

the tax payers will STILL pay this money out to firefighters. It's just a matter of how many firefighters will share the pot.
If you hire more firefights, you'll actually be paying more overall for their services just so you can drop the average wages down.

But go ahead and make a big stink about it because you're so butt hurt about your crappy job.

Posted by: better idea ()
Date: May 03, 2017 06:06PM

Step 1 - Bully them on FFXU
Step 2 - pressure them to commit suicide
Step 3 - Profit

Posted by: causeican ()
Date: May 03, 2017 09:16PM

Government. That’s the problem with it. Give everything back to the people. Government can’t manage itself effectively. It sure as hell can’t manage anything else.

Date: May 03, 2017 09:39PM

How much is callback pay? Is it a flat amount? A percentage of base salary?

Posted by: 4 hours OT Min ()
Date: May 03, 2017 09:53PM

That's It for most FXCO employees.FD PD may be more generous or the same. They have many more payroll rules then regular Co employees that boost their pay police for example get 1/2 hour a day for roll call.They need that as they have to be in get the daily reports and hit the road with 8 hr shifts overlapping. The roll call pay adds up to about 5 K a year. Without it there would be a 30 minute really 40 minute gap in shifts unless more OT was paid. Theres more payroll specials they, PD FD get.

Posted by: Callback man ()
Date: May 03, 2017 10:55PM

Callback pay:
A shiftwork (56hr/wk) employee who works "callback" makes 2.0 their salary. Anything less than that is a lie.

They get paid 1.5 their salary of overtime.
PLUS
An additional 0.5 their salary for FLSA

1.5+0.5=2.0

Posted by: beenthere ()
Date: May 03, 2017 11:22PM

Please remember when you complain about FD pay. These folks go into burning buildings, render medical aid in the worst of conditions, and have to listen to self-important Hillary/Obama voters wine about their back aches. "The most i have ever made was 120K", Whaaa The biggest risk you have probably ever taken at your job was walking threw the parking lot, stfu

Date: May 03, 2017 11:32PM

beenthere Wrote:
> Please remember when you complain about FD pay.
> These folks go into burning buildings, render
> medical aid in the worst of conditions, and have
> to listen to self-important Hillary/Obama voters
> wine about their back aches. "The most i have ever
> made was 120K", Whaaa The biggest risk you have
> probably ever taken at your job was walking threw
> the parking lot, stfu

I am not complaining at all. If they do over-time they should be paid accordingly. It's on the county to make the budget and keep the budget!

Posted by: local FF ()
Date: May 04, 2017 09:14AM

Yeah, you run as many code browns as I have and 200K seems a bit light.

Posted by: fire dog ()
Date: May 04, 2017 10:23AM

Overtime is the shit. Most of the time you can find a understaffed station and go fill in for someone who is out sick or on vacation. Get paid time and a half to eat and sleep. I made 136k last year.

Posted by: former military no sympathy ()
Date: May 04, 2017 12:07PM

local FF Wrote:
> Yeah, you run as many code browns as I have and
> 200K seems a bit light.

You do the shit I did in the Army and 40k seems a bit light you entitled prick.

Posted by: Battalion 401 ()
Date: May 04, 2017 12:33PM

former military no sympathy Wrote:
> local FF Wrote:
> -----
> > Yeah, you run as many code browns as I have and
> > 200K seems a bit light.
>
> You do the shit I did in the Army and 40k seems a
> bit light you entitled prick.

Check ya tone nigga.

Posted by: The Biggest Risk ()
Date: May 04, 2017 12:33PM

>biggest risk you have probably ever taken at your job was walking threw the parking lot, stfu

Is driving. More co employees have been killed on the job then all the FD and PD combined..at the dump..electrocuted, had a tire rim blow off the rim. Wakefield Park the maint building coming in on the lefts named for that guy..

Everyones job has risks.Everyone can't ride on the coattails of the NYPD and NYFD

>You do the shit I did in the Army and 40k seems a bit light you entitled prick.

Tell it like it is. Very True!

Cant help what the co wastes money on for union votes from democrats and idiots, just get their asses off the streets with there boots begging and back to work.

Posted by: wxxtT ()
Date: May 04, 2017 01:47PM

causeican Wrote:
> Government. That’s the problem with it. Give
> everything back to the people. Government can’t
> manage itself effectively. It sure as hell
> can’t manage anything else.

Conservative BS.

Private sector employers love overtime arrangements. It allows them to maintain a smaller work force but still accomplish the same amount of work. With fewer employees the employee benefit costs for work performed are less, plus when things slow down the employer can cut overtime without having employees go on unemployment and the employer's unemployment tax rate go up. Many public sector managers like overtime arrangements for the same economic reasons.

The difficulty for public sector employers is employees getting multiples of their base pay creates an embarrassment factor. It does not matter that overall cost increases may have been about the same if the unemployment was spread among more employees rather than being concentrated in a smaller group of employees. It does not matter that having fewer employees on the payroll was a goal that the governing board set, in part in response to demands by voters for "smaller government".

Posted by: So When Is Fairfax Laying Off ()
Date: May 04, 2017 03:42PM

>Private sector employers love overtime arrangements. It allows them to maintain a smaller work force but still accomplish the same amount of work

As to the above, yes if Fairfax was going to lay off people or cut back hours as Private sector does when business falls off, it makes sense to pay OT as the post above states.

But when Is Fairfax Laying off FD people ? Hire more, less special treatment for a few

Posted by: ree tired ()
Date: May 04, 2017 08:08PM

Fairfax county been berry berry good to me. Did my 20 and retired at 52.

Posted by: semper fi ()
Date: May 04, 2017 09:02PM

beenthere Wrote:
> Please remember when you complain about FD pay.
> These folks go into burning buildings, render
> medical aid in the worst of conditions, and have
> to listen to self-important Hillary/Obama voters
> wine about their back aches. "The most i have ever
> made was 120K", Whaaa The biggest risk you have
> probably ever taken at your job was walking threw
> the parking lot, stfu

I barely made 1/3 of $270k fighting in Afghanistan. $270k a year for a firefighter is insane any way you put it.

http://www1.salary.com/Fire-Fighter-Salary.html

The top 90% - $66,153

Posted by: Fire Technician? ()
Date: May 04, 2017 09:33PM

What the fuck is a fire technician? A fireman? Jesus H. Christ. +$200k? To be a fireman?

hahahhaha. Well, good for you if that's true. Jesus. To ride around in a truck and shoot water at burning shit and rescue cats out of trees. Why not. What the fuck is this world coming to?

Posted by: sounds like bullshit ()
Date: May 04, 2017 10:26PM

Lifesavinghero Wrote:
> remember it's 100k in overtime.
>
> That sounds on top of the 56hrs/week they work to
> begin with.
>
>
> That's a lot of time away from home and family.
>
> the tax payers will STILL pay this money out to
> firefighters. It's just a matter of how many
> firefighters will share the pot.
> If you hire more firefights, you'll actually be
> paying more overall for their services just so you
> can drop the average wages down.
>
>
> But go ahead and make a big stink about it
> because you're so butt hurt about your crappy job.

So what about

"A decade ago they tried to fix the overtime issue in the Fire Department by utilizing volunteers! Volunteers would ride on career units when a paid FF called out sick, thus preventing overtime and call back pay. The paid firefighters retaliated and some volunteers who showed up to work a shift were threatened if they didn't leave! The union filled some type of action against the county, who eventually cancelled the policy."

Posted by: Work work work sork ()
Date: May 04, 2017 10:40PM

270k / yr

Means he's working every single hour he can that the rules allow.

That's >100hrs per week, every week, for a year.

I'd say he earned it.

Date: May 04, 2017 10:49PM

Work work work sork Wrote:
> 270k / yr
>
>
> Means he's working every single hour he can that
> the rules allow.
>
> That's >100hrs per week, every week, for a year.
>
> I'd say he earned it.

How do you know it is a he?

Posted by: Gloryfied Janitor With A Hose ()
Date: May 04, 2017 10:58PM

>What the fuck is a fire technician? A fireman? Jesus H. Christ. +$200k? To be a fireman?

50k would be more then generous for a "Highest Paid Lowest Skill Hero" Painters can climb ladders too. Citizens can pull people out of burning buildings and cars, they do it all the time.

If you visit Arlington Cem..Remember "Fire Hero" @ 200K plus and remember the Real Hero's buried there. And don't forget Your a "Civilian" to Them.

Posted by: Sleeping Watching TV ()
Date: May 04, 2017 11:09PM

>Means he's working every single hour he can that

You call sleeping and watching TV work?? Get rid of the 24 hr shift Gravy Train..

Posted by: Local FF ()
Date: May 05, 2017 07:29AM

sounds like bullshit Wrote:
> Lifesavinghero Wrote:
> -----
> > remember it's 100k in overtime.
> >
> > That sounds on top of the 56hrs/week they work
> to
> > begin with.
> >
> >
> > That's a lot of time away from home and family.
>
> >
> > the tax payers will STILL pay this money out to
> > firefighters. It's just a matter of how many
> > firefighters will share the pot.
> > If you hire more firefights, you'll actually be
> > paying more overall for their services just so
> you
> > can drop the average wages down.
> >
> >
> > But go ahead and make a big stink about it
> > because you're so butt hurt about your crappy
> job.
>
>
> So what about
>
> "A decade ago they tried to fix the overtime issue
> in the Fire Department by utilizing volunteers!
> Volunteers would ride on career units when a paid
> FF called out sick, thus preventing overtime and
> call back pay. The paid firefighters retaliated
> and some volunteers who showed up to work a shift
> were threatened if they didn't leave! The union
> filled some type of action against the county, who
> eventually cancelled the policy."

The volunteers in Fairfax were run out many years ago. Part of it was just economics and dwindling numbers, and the rest was the union and the fact that FFX is rich as fuck and really doesn't care what anything costs. Any volunteers that make any inroads toward taking a callback shift from a union brother will learn very quickly that it's a mistake only made once. Anything bad that happens to them will be reviewed by the union, laughed about and dismissed. They have a significant role in other counties, but not Fairfax.

Posted by: eebhv ()
Date: May 05, 2017 10:50PM

they're talking smack about checks they admittedly intend to pay out

full of shut

it's not only the executives that are at fault

it's moreso the Judges (many or all chosen by area democrats - which itself is somewhat illegal: the judiciary is not allowed to have political ties INFACT)

the judges are letting anyone do anything they fucking please with money

Posted by: demu3 ()
Date: May 05, 2017 10:51PM

^^ the judges aren't allowing cases against to come forward, or other kinds of cases (recovery for individuals)

by far gov always wins in court, gov workers privately win more of their cases than non-gov workers

it's the damn Judges

Posted by: Oimhygt ()
Date: May 07, 2017 08:50AM

If they're making so much money, I don't need to see them out there panhandling with a boot. I give to chairity directly and don't need to see you on the roads causing more traffic congestion.

Posted by: Firemen Are Not Military ()
Date: May 07, 2017 02:19PM

>And don't forget Your a "Civilian" to Them.

Even If You Served

Don't forget they make more then a 4 Star general and a hell of a lot more then a 100% disabled Vet and you should see what their disability pays as half of them retire on it

Posted by: such utter crap ()
Date: May 07, 2017 04:41PM

My favorite is the county response.
We have unfilled positions that never got funded so that's why we have overtime.

Where the hell did the money come from for the overtime?

Such liars, Bulova needs to own this.

Posted by: lawn boi ()
Date: May 07, 2017 04:47PM

That money could cut all the over grown grass in this rich county, and fix these fucked up roads.

Posted by: Janitor with hose ()
Date: May 07, 2017 06:06PM

Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Posted by: Stop Calling People Civilians ()
Date: May 07, 2017 08:51PM

That does not come from the game it comes from the players most of whom never served

Posted by: Butthurticus ()
Date: May 07, 2017 09:15PM

Served schmerved. Call them whatever you do or don't want. Doesn't fucking matter. What are you going to do about it? Cry some more?

Posted by: ptvfx ()
Date: May 07, 2017 09:47PM

Piu dici, meno credo.

The more you say, the less I believe you.

Posted by: Then When They Retire ()
Date: August 14, 2017 11:35AM

They convert many jobs to civilian status. Advertise the jobs on county job web sight. Then they hire a guy who did the job and retired and pay him again as a civilian employee. All the qualified outsiders who apply never even get a response from the county about and interview. If you don't believe it look into it.

Posted by: Wtf!!! ()
Date: August 14, 2017 11:49AM

WTF!!!!!!!! Public sector employees the 1% the rest of us are slaves

Posted by: Slave ()
Date: August 14, 2017 11:53AM

Even a base salary of 90k for a fireman is questionable...

Posted by: Corruption ()
Date: August 14, 2017 11:58AM

Make them give the money back to tax payers. I would rather pay these types of salaries to our young men and women in the military.

Posted by: Herbert Kornfeld ()
Date: August 14, 2017 01:33PM

Then When They Retire Wrote:
> They convert many jobs to civilian status.
> Advertise the jobs on county job web sight. Then
> they hire a guy who did the job and retired and
> pay him again as a civilian employee. All the
> qualified outsiders who apply never even get a
> response from the county about and interview. If
> you don't believe it look into it.

Happens all the time. If you think it's false, you probably believe that Sharon Bulova really cares about the coons and spics in the county too.

Posted by: Hidden Gem ()
Date: August 14, 2017 01:40PM

Slave Wrote:
> Even a base salary of 90k for a fireman is
> questionable...

Considering it's not an urban environment ..not running into burning buildings.

Most of the time spent at station, chilaxing, workout times, all you can eat crab leg night events.

Not a bad racket at all.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.