HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
how many feds are going to lose their tenure ?
Posted by: slave to my gs ()
Date: May 02, 2017 11:04PM

since trump is turning out to be the same as Bushes/Obama/Clinton...I would say none of them are going to be cut

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how many feds are going to lose their tenure ?
Posted by: at will mostly ()
Date: May 03, 2017 09:10AM

It's a myth that feds can't be fired -- it happens all the time and very, very few get their jobs back. Appeals processes are rubber stamps with very rare exceptions. Unions have little or no power.

Also, the myth of too many feds slapped the Trump Administration in the face. For example, how long did Trump's hiring freeze last?

Every since Ronald Reagan changed the retirement system for feds (...which I agree needed to change because it was not sustainable given that people were living longer), fed employment is not a good deal anymore, except to get experience, perhaps, and move to the private sector.

Most fed employees can be fired fairly easily, and certainly can be easily set up to fail (work loads and backlogs are huge). It's not a secure job anymore, particularly as people get older and their salaries go up. Young professional people should avoid government service as a career: it's not stable/secure, benefits are being cut more, and it's thankless by your supervisors and public.

Average political appointees only stay for 18 months -- they get in, and get out (often with a new appreciation for the responsibilities undertaken by career employees, not always).

Posted by: tCjpL ()
Date: May 03, 2017 09:23AM

The original retirement system in the Federal Government was CSRS. The current retirement system is called FERS. Here are a few differences between them:

1. Lets say you work for 40 years. CSRS system would get you 78 or 79 percent of your high-3 salary. FERS system gets you only 40 percent of your high-3 salary.

2. Under CSRS you did not pay into Social Security. FERS you pay into Social Security.

There are other differences but the two listed are the biggest differences. I would rather have CSRS system.

Posted by: deadwood gulch ()
Date: May 03, 2017 09:32AM

After the probationary period, it's very difficult to get rid of the deadwood.

Congress mandated a lot more of the Pentagon work be farmed out after 911. In that line of work, you'll find a lot of guvvies who would otherwise be retired and selling shoes in the mall.

Posted by: MythAgain ()
Date: May 03, 2017 10:39AM

deadwood gulch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> After the probationary period, it's very difficult
> to get rid of the deadwood.
>
> Congress mandated a lot more of the Pentagon work
> be farmed out after 911. In that line of work,
> you'll find a lot of guvvies who would otherwise
> be retired and selling shoes in the mall.

Again, this is a big myth, repeated over and over. It's very easy to terminate someone in fed (or other) government. Probationary period employees -- you just fire them with no appeal. Others can appeal it, but then they're canned -- very, very few employees get their termination appeals overturned.

Feds have huge workloads, supervisors count their work output (like factory workers), if they don't meet informal or formal quotas, they're written up (PIP'd), and three months later canned. It can take a year to appeal it, but they're not getting paid, and less 1% get their jobs back.

Lower skilled workers getting slightly higher pay than private sector employees, but professional employees (a larger majority of govt workers by far), get less (and the new retirement system no longer balances out to make it worthwhile overtime anymore).

One of my colleagues was fired on the spot because the supervisor disagreed with how she maintained her filing system. Other ways people are easily fired: lift a security clearance (no security clearance, no job).

I left government service 10+ years ago (after witnessing the abusive supervisor -- again, govt doesn't hire good supervisors, but private sector often has the same problem), and I have a lot more flexibility, higher status, same stability, and more (mutual) loyalty, plus perks, freedom to speak my mind (about politics) and happy(ier) co-workers. Government sector work today is only good if you're starting your career or as a political appointee -- but only for a couple of years. If you're midcareer, you're largely stuck/pegged by a thankless public. Just my POV.

Posted by: OPM hack ()
Date: May 03, 2017 01:16PM

There will be big changes to federal workforce under dictator for life Donald J. Trump! Federal salaries will be cut 25% across the board, locality pay eliminated, federal government (taxpayer) contribution to health insurance reversed to 30% (currently government pays 70%, employee pays 30%) and that's just to start.

I am working on relocation plans for several federal agencies now headquartered in DC. They will be moved to places like Peoria, IL, Evanston, IN, and Tulsa, OK, In 7 years DC and the surrounding 'burbs will be ghost towns!

Posted by: Gc6wu ()
Date: May 03, 2017 01:26PM

OPM hack Wrote:
> There will be big changes to federal workforce
> under dictator for life Donald J. Trump! Federal
> salaries will be cut 25% across the board,
> locality pay eliminated, federal government
> (taxpayer) contribution to health insurance
> reversed to 30% (currently government pays 70%,
> employee pays 30%) and that's just to start.
>
> I am working on relocation plans for several
> federal agencies now headquartered in DC. They
> will be moved to places like Peoria, IL,
> Evanston, IN, and Tulsa, OK, In 7 years DC and the
> surrounding 'burbs will be ghost towns!

No it won't. Nice fail on trolling.

Posted by: Dream dreamer help me ()
Date: May 03, 2017 08:31PM

OPM hack Wrote:
> There will be big changes to federal workforce
> under dictator for life Donald J. Trump! Federal
> salaries will be cut 25% across the board,
> locality pay eliminated, federal government
> (taxpayer) contribution to health insurance
> reversed to 30% (currently government pays 70%,
> employee pays 30%) and that's just to start.
>
> I am working on relocation plans for several
> federal agencies now headquartered in DC. They
> will be moved to places like Peoria, IL,
> Evanston, IN, and Tulsa, OK, In 7 years DC and the
> surrounding 'burbs will be ghost towns!

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=A0LEVxD0dQpZGlUAB4lXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTB0N2Noc21lBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNwaXZz?p=dream+dreamer+help+me+make+it+through+the+night&fr2=piv-web&fr=yfp-t#id=10&vid=838d2fc321a74806b9b786ba9b20c1cc&action=view

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.