HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Moving house in Herndon border to another city.
Posted by: TXRCKR ()
Date: March 03, 2017 09:45AM

Is anyone aware of cases where neighborhoods in Herndon have switched to a neighboring city, or know much about the subject?

When I bought house (for right under a million in early 90s) the realtor kept saying its good price for house but too much for Herndon. Now it is still same price and some neighbors and I are trying to see if we can move house to a different city before selling our houses. It's not in downtown Herndon, luckily the schools are not Herndon schools, etc and while there is no HOA we believe most if not all neighbors would support it.

Thanks!

p.s. I only found cases of houses moving back and forth between Vienna and Oakton but apparently it was done automatically by city.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Moving house in Herndon border to another city.
Posted by: pvLbn ()
Date: March 03, 2017 09:58AM

The last major change was in the 1960s when Fairfax City became independent. Since then there have been minor boundary adjustments between Fairfax City and Fairfax County, and between Fairfax County and Vienna. The governments of both jurisdictions would have to approve it. That means the town of Herndon agreeing to give up tax revenue so I would not hold my breath.

Posted by: fracturedfairfax ()
Date: March 03, 2017 12:18PM

Do you mean a house/neighborhood within the Town of Herndon, or just with a Herndon zip code?

Once they opened up the Oak Hill post office, a whole bunch of places that formerly used Herndon mailing addresses switched to using Oak Hill instead, because having a Herndon address was harmful to their real estate values.

Stepping back a few decades, the Town of Herndon and Fairfax County did a land swap back in the mid-80s that put Worldgate within the town's borders. See https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/local/1986/05/29/fairfax-board-and-herndon-officials-agree-unofficially-on-land-exchange/a39b3a0d-fece-4b4b-b8f7-785cf5064d0f/

Absolutely Nothing You Need to Know About Fairfax County

Fractured Fairfax

https://www.fracturedfairfax.com
Unnatural Deaths in Fairfax County Map

Posted by: eefev ()
Date: March 03, 2017 12:21PM

Is there a negative connotation of Herndon that I am unaware of?

Posted by: lo que llaman... ()
Date: March 03, 2017 12:25PM

eefev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is there a negative connotation of Herndon that I
> am unaware of?

Hernduras

Posted by: Beefcake ()
Date: March 03, 2017 03:06PM

eefev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is there a negative connotation of Herndon that I
> am unaware of?

The #1 rule in Herndon. DON'T TALK ABOUT HERNDON.

Posted by: really estate ()
Date: March 03, 2017 03:10PM

You cannot just choose the district your home is in dumbass. Should have thought a little longer before purchasing.

Posted by: -39458 ()
Date: March 04, 2017 02:42PM

Don't rely on real estate agents to give you the truth and nothing but the truth about your neighborhood when you are buying a house. By law they are not allowed to spill the real essence of the neighborhood to a buyer. You need to get a subscription to one of the neighborhood intel sites like yourself and check out all the neighborhoods around your district as well as the one you want to buy in. Neighborhoods can change in a year around NOVA, in the past due to unchecked immigration and expensive prices turning small neighborhoods with lower cost family houses into salt-box barrios with multiple families living there and many many contractor vehicles creating parking lote where lawns once sat.

I have seen what was once a nice quiet neighborhood in Herndon turn into a 24-hour open air drug market when a gang of Mexican Mafias bought the house for sale on our street. That was back in 1996. For the first 6 months of living there it was lovely, then they set up shop night and day with their fleet of Mitsubishis, loud cop-killer type rap concerts and all the rest of it.

We just kept on moving west. One great reason to RENT and live in a neighborhood you are interested in BEFORE you buy.

Posted by: How about Fairfax Circle? ()
Date: March 04, 2017 02:45PM

Fairfax Circle is a great location. YOu should move there. There are plenty of shops and I know of a great Arthur Treacher's right there where you can get fish and chips and icy cold Fantas.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.