HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Car Stereo Install
Posted by: Cheapskate ()
Date: January 25, 2017 08:27PM

Looking for a business or individual who will remove my craptastic OEM stereo and speakers and replace it with new components that I will purchase.
Went to to Safe and Sound today and they are fucking expensive.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Car Stereo Install
Posted by: save $$$ ()
Date: January 25, 2017 08:31PM

Dont waste your money on sound.

Go for wheels and/or tint.

Posted by: Ricer. ()
Date: January 25, 2017 08:39PM

Tint, broner...totes mcgoats...and exhaust bearings.

Date: January 26, 2017 08:53AM

bump

Posted by: Pontiac 1 ()
Date: January 26, 2017 09:03AM

With a user name like cheapskate, my recommendation for you would be to go with an AM radio.

Posted by: obvious answer ()
Date: January 26, 2017 09:09AM

Cheapskate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looking for a business or individual who will
> remove my craptastic OEM stereo and speakers and
> replace it with new components that I will
> purchase.
> Went to to Safe and Sound today and they are
> fucking expensive.

If you are cheap, do it yourself. It's not rocket science. Take a look at the people getting paid to install car stereos and you can see the qualifications are not very demanding. All the information, parts, and supplies you need to do it can be found on the Internet. You might learn a thing or two in the process.

Date: January 26, 2017 03:50PM

obvious answer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cheapskate Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Looking for a business or individual who will
> > remove my craptastic OEM stereo and speakers
> and
> > replace it with new components that I will
> > purchase.
> > Went to to Safe and Sound today and they are
> > fucking expensive.
>
> If you are cheap, do it yourself. It's not rocket
> science. Take a look at the people getting paid
> to install car stereos and you can see the
> qualifications are not very demanding. All the
> information, parts, and supplies you need to do it
> can be found on the Internet. You might learn a
> thing or two in the process.

Fuck off. I learned that you suck.

Posted by: puHed ()
Date: January 26, 2017 04:12PM

1. Define what it is you want (i.e. 'Appleplay') and google it with the make, model, model year and trim of the vehicle you own.

2. You will most likely see an amazon product after you perform step 1, go to this and then google 'install diy for XXXX Product Stereo in a xxxxmodel xxxxmodel year vehicle you own. in all likelyhood there will be a diy video of how to do it.

I just did this with a 2004 volvo v70 - I installed a bluetooth upgrade. It was easy. I had to pull the climate control and stereo modules out but if you can watch someone do it its nothing.

Posted by: ucandoit ()
Date: January 26, 2017 05:01PM

FOr the head unit- hardest part is removing it from the dash if it is one of those funky shaped head units with the curves and melded into the dash.

You can buy a single or dual din kit on amazon for just about any car.

The actual installation is literally matching wire colors and using twist on connectors so its easier to uninstall and put back your OEM stereo.

I know you should solder but some people switch cars and want to keep the stereo they bought, I am still rocking my alpine from the 90's hey it works and I love the sound quality but anyways I am going off on a tangent here back to the main story...

Yes, prev. posters were right, watch a youtube video until you get it, order parts from amazon (or if you can spend a little more, crutchfield.com if you buy your head unit from them will sometimes throw in a free dash install kit specific to your vehicle) and go for it. I have had the old stereo out and a new stereo in in 45 minutes flat sitting in the parklng lot, as long as you have decent tools (wire stripper, the tool to remove your OEM stereo varies by car, etc etc) it goes quick. Best to do with at least 3 hours of daylight remaining or in a very well lit garage/parking area since you have to look at the wires carefully to match colors/read the manual, etc. Have the video on your phone playing in the car and follow along is the best I can tell you DIY.

It's slightly harder to wire in an amp-subwoofer box but not by much, it is more running of ground and power wires along the car though that can get tricky depending on make/model of car. You also have to fuck with the battery, risking getting shocked or fucking up your other electronics if you cross wires wrong.... if you don't want to risk it DIY/dont have basic electric skills/knowledge take it to best buy or something I usually throw the installers a $50 tip and since I already did the Head unit they can plug in/wire my amp and subs in like an hour flat (pays to know people/grease palms, another story for another day...me and my tangents LOL but feel you should have all the info).

Hope this helps!

Posted by: Hd7Fx ()
Date: January 26, 2017 05:21PM

Good place in Charlottesville I used a few years ago. Cant remember the name but it's right on Rt 29 near the mall.

Posted by: GavinHemmings ()
Date: August 24, 2020 03:46PM

Hi, guys. I'm glad I found this post. Thanks for the tips, I didn't know I could find head unit parts on Amazon.

Posted by: Marizza ()
Date: August 24, 2020 03:50PM

Yeah, man, you can find everything you need on Amazon. I often order some items for my car there. If we talk about me, I'm looking for a head unit that provides good sound quality. During the search, I found this blog https://thesoundspecs.com/best-single-din-head-unit/ where there are the best head unit reviews and buying guide for 2020. So I compared all the pros and cons and I think that the Pioneer head unit meets my expectations. But I am interested in your opinion and feedback. The main criteria for me are sound quality, user-friendly interface, and ease of use. Which head unit would you choose?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2020 03:56AM by Marizza.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.