HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Furnace Rd widening - why??
Posted by: Price ()
Date: September 19, 2009 11:49PM

FFX County wants to widen Furnace and Lorton Rd from 2 to 4 lanes. Can't help but wonder if such expenses are really needed, esp. nowadays - I drive these roads daily, and there's hardly any traffic that would call for an extra lane. Adding to the school buses budget would be a better way to spend $$, IMHO.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Furnace Rd widening - why??
Posted by: Dye a Rhea ()
Date: September 19, 2009 11:53PM

It is probably part of some 20 year plan. They just tend to follow that anyway, regardless of whether or not the improvement is actually warranted.

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: September 20, 2009 12:20AM

I think it's the county's plan to ruin all of the nice scenic roads we have left.

Posted by: tomahawk ()
Date: September 20, 2009 03:06AM

Dye a Rhea Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is probably part of some 20 year plan. They
> just tend to follow that anyway, regardless of
> whether or not the improvement is actually
> warranted.

Yeah, it's central planning, Soviet-style.

Posted by: Thurston Moore ()
Date: September 20, 2009 03:14AM

bobo Wrote:
> I think it's the county's plan to ruin all of the
> nice scenic roads we have left.

Scenic roads must be eliminated. It only gives the people a false sense of empowerment.

The people need to know that they are under the rule of the democratic/republican duopoloy, and should never question their rulers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
The function of conservatives is not to meet every liberal program or scheme with a denunciation or a destructive counterscheme, but rather to weigh its advantages and defects, supporting the first and challenging the second. A declaration of ideological warfare against liberalism is by its nature profoundly unconservative. It meets perceived radicalism with a counterradicalism of its own.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: September 20, 2009 03:17AM

Thurston Moore Wrote:
>
> The people need to know that they are under the
> rule of the democratic/republican duopoloy, and
> should never question their rulers.

Rulers = Lizard people

LizardMan.jpgBlessed are the murderous.

Posted by: Marge ()
Date: September 20, 2009 10:08AM

Why don't they use the money on that stupid, less than 2-lane, 1/4 mile strip on Frying Pan Rd. from 28 to Centreville Road?

Posted by: bledbetter ()
Date: September 20, 2009 11:20AM

The Board of Supervisors is looking to develop the entire Lorton area into tract housing on 0.001 acre plots, similar to this:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=38.696053,-77.232814&spn=0.005409,0.011362&t=h&z=17

They are literally drooling at the thought of collecting taxes on all those houses. And as we all know, where there's tax money to be had, the Board of Supervisors will be there to take it! (Which is too bad, because those two roads are truly a pleasure to drive.)

For some scenery of the area surrounding Furnace Road, which I visited yesterday, see http://RuralFairfax.com/ --- end shameless plug. :)

Posted by: Take a Stand ()
Date: September 20, 2009 07:33PM

Bledbetter, In the map link you gave of the tract housing.

What is that group of buildings south-west of the housing. Is is a prison?

-thanks

Edit: I know its not the old Lorton Pen. thats west north west of the plot in questions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2009 07:40PM by Take a Stand.

Posted by: bledbetter ()
Date: September 21, 2009 08:06AM

Stand,

That is the old Youth Correctional Facility. I have some photos from out around it that I'm planning on posting in a little bit. Have not been able to get inside to get photos yet. (When I drove by there on Thursday, the front gates were wide open. Wonder if the County is doing something in there.)

FWIW, the current version of the County's long-term plan for that prison is for those buildings to be demolished, the landfill directly north of it to be extended there, and then when everything's all full up in about 2025 or so, for it all to be capped and turned into a giant outdoor sports facility (more golf, anyone?)

Regards,
Brian

Date: September 23, 2009 08:27PM

Nice pics, bledbetter.
Lorton Rd has this spot where it goes thru a big rock - too bad if it diappears as a result of this widening.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2009 08:28PM by Price.
Attachments:
lorton_rd_rock.jpg

Posted by: tomahawk ()
Date: September 23, 2009 08:50PM

That's not a rock. It's the concrete bridge abutments for a railroad bridge. This was the Lorton and Occaquan Railroad, which ran from the prison down to the Occaquan River.

The Cross County Trail follows the old railroad bed until it gets close to the old bridge, than curves around and across the road. If you leave the trail and walk a few feet to stand atop the abutment there is some sort of well or manhole under the weeds that is basically a lawsuit waiting to happen. It's some sort of maintenance access.

Date: September 23, 2009 10:14PM

I've meant to say rock structure, but anyway, thanks for the info.

Posted by: jonny poplecops ()
Date: September 23, 2009 11:31PM

Ft Belvior BRAC traffic preparations.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: September 23, 2009 11:33PM

jonny poplecops Wrote:
> Ft Belvior BRAC traffic preparations.

Yeah, that is going to be a real clusterfuck when the Army moves all those units to Belvoir. They did this with no consideration to the local area. Route 1 is already a two hour drive from Lorton to Quantico when it hits rush hour.

Blessed are the murderous.

Date: October 08, 2009 08:08AM

I've attended the meeting last night where the county officials presented the project. Things are actually worse than I thought. $60M+ of out tax dollars will be spent to convert these two local roads into 7100-like parkway. Funny thing, they want to keep 35MPH limit there (speed traps anyone?), and they'll have to cut into quite a few private properties (thus $$$ to spent on land acquisitions), even though there are acres and acres of land county already owns.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2009 08:10AM by Price.

Posted by: LIsa C ()
Date: September 07, 2010 03:12PM

RIDICULOUS PROJECT!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Kardinal ()
Date: September 07, 2010 03:50PM

I like widening roads BEFORE they get overloaded. You know those 2 lanes they're adding to the beltway for HOT lanes? Construction is screwing up traffic now. And by the time they're done, a couple years later we'll need to expand MORE.

I think back to when they were replacing the Wilson bridge. They were debating like 10 lanes or 12. I said 16 lanes. DOUBLE DECK. So we don't have to go through this @#)$*( again for a while.

Posted by: Beej ()
Date: September 07, 2010 07:20PM

They're widening because you idiots can't negotiate the one way bridge.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.