HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
VA ABC stores rip-off people
Posted by: Van jones ()
Date: September 19, 2009 03:09PM

Booze is on avg 20 percent more expensive in VA then the any State around here. I hope Bob McDonnel wins and puts an end to the monopoly the ABC has by privatizing it. Go Bob!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: VA ABC stores rip-off people
Posted by: hm-m-m ()
Date: September 19, 2009 03:19PM

Are you from Bob McDonnel campaign team?

Posted by: Van Jones ()
Date: September 19, 2009 03:28PM

No, I'm from the Booze costs too much in VA team!

Posted by: Area man ()
Date: September 19, 2009 04:30PM

Dude,

If you think that privatizing the ABC stores will bring prices down you are high. The commonwealth will still limit the distribution to a couple of companies. They do this with wine and beer right now, and that is why the prices are cheaper in MD. and DC. even with the higher taxes of those locales.

500 million for the ABC stores makes no sense at all. They generate that much revenue in a 5 year period and then we wouldn't see any long-term revenue. More short-term thinking by a campaign.

Posted by: Seann ()
Date: September 19, 2009 04:45PM

Why would the state give up a monopoly

Posted by: Mark Warner ()
Date: September 19, 2009 05:44PM

Richmond, VA – On Jan. 30, the Senate Committee on Rehabilitation and Social Services killed legislation introduced by Senator Mark Obenshain (R-Harrisonburg) to privatize Virginia’s ABC Store operations. Although SB 1542 will not be considered further this year, Sen. Obenshain says he will continue to work towards the goal of divesting these operations.

“Although we have considered many vitally important bills this session, few pieces of legislation struck a chord with voters as much as this one did,” said Sen. Obenshain. “The voters do not understand why the state needs to be in the retail business, and frankly, neither do I.”

Virginia’s ABC Stores are a relic of an earlier era, a holdover from the early days after Prohibition when many, including oil baron John D. Rockefeller, were concerned that the private sale of alcohol would corrupt the moral character of the citizenry and lead to moral decay.

Seventy-five years after the repeal of Prohibition, nothing has changed in Virginia – even though thirty-two states allow the private sale of distilled spirits. In fact, these “private sale” states actually experience slightly lower levels of underage drinking, driving under the influence, and alcoholism.

Sen. Obenshain’s bill would have created “package store licenses,” which would authorize the retail sale of alcohol beverages, to be auctioned off one at a time, with no less than one license in every city and county, but not more than one per 10,000 residents, adjusted every five years. The auction price would form the basis for that licensee’s annual fees, adjusted for inflation, and the state would continue to tax the sale of spirits. No licensee could locate within a one mile radius of an existing license holder, making the first license issued in any locality the most valuable.

“Handled correctly, privatizing the ABC Stores will save money and increase consumer choice,” said Obenshain, noting that privatization tends to offer consumers such benefits as greater convenience, better hours, wider selections, lower prices, and the innovation inherent in competition-driven systems.

Although the bill did not pass this year, Sen. Obenshain intends to work with interested parties to revise and reintroduce the legislation next year. Support for the measure transcends the usual political divides: “Everywhere I go, people ask me about this bill,” said Obenshain. “Democrats and Republicans, young and old, they all want the government out of the business of selling alcohol.”

A Facebook group Sen. Obenshain created for supporters of privatization efforts currently boasts over four hundred members, and in a recent survey available on www.markobenshain.com and mailed to thousands of voters across the district, seventy percent of respondents favored privatization, with nearly 85% supportive if they were assured that the Commonwealth could reap a considerable profit by the conversion. The numbers ran still higher if voters were assured that the Commonwealth could impose restrictions on the location and advertising of distilled spirit retailers. “The people of the twenty-sixth district understand what some in Richmond just don’t get,” commented Obenshain. “They aren’t ready to give up on this bill, and neither am I.”

http://wcrnews.wordpress.com/2009/01/31/virginia-state-liquor-monopoly-to-continue/

Posted by: Romeo ()
Date: September 20, 2009 05:19AM

As long as those lil bottled Vodka shots cost no more than few bucks, who cares who's sellin it to u.

Posted by: nowhereman ()
Date: September 20, 2009 07:02AM

Obenshain's proposal is a step in the right direction, but it's a baby step. Let's go all the way -- why should they auction the license to highest bidder? Why only one store within a mile of each other? And so on.

Here's a radical idea: let any store that has a liquor license sell liquor. The liquor license costs a nominal fee to cover the state's expense of administering it -- maybe $500 per year. Tax it at the same rate that you tax food or soda. End of story. Why should the state view liquor sales as a special profit center?

I grew up in California. You could go to any grocery store and buy any kind of liquor you wanted, any day of the week. Period. I grew up in a town of about 20,000 people. Both grocery stores in town sold liquor. We had four or five liquor stores that had floor-to-ceiling racks of booze. Big deal. Then I move to Virginia and the first time I need to buy a bottle of booze I have to search around for one of their little stores and make a special trip there. Ohh -- do they really think that does anything, except send a ton of money to Richmond and keep a bunch on state employees on the payroll?

Posted by: DL ()
Date: September 20, 2009 07:48AM

Anyone ever had a moonshine? I wanna try that stuff.

Posted by: curious ()
Date: September 20, 2009 10:49AM

But I like the abc stores!

Posted by: tubby ()
Date: September 20, 2009 11:38AM

DL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone ever had a moonshine? I wanna try that
> stuff.

Look for Everclear at the ABC store. It's 180 proof grain alcohol, same thing as moonshine only the taxes have been paid.

It's also been produced under sanitary conditions unlike most moonshine. Do you want the dead bugs and bird shit removed from your 'shine by straining it through a nasty, sweaty hat?

Posted by: BagODonuts ()
Date: September 20, 2009 11:46AM

Can't buy everclear in VA..maybe NC. I think even WV stopped selling it.

Date: September 20, 2009 11:49AM

BagODonuts Wrote:
> Can't buy everclear in VA..maybe NC. I think even
> WV stopped selling it.

Shows how current I am....the last time I bought Everclear in VA was in the mid 70's.

Posted by: tomahawk ()
Date: September 20, 2009 12:09PM

tubby Wrote:
> Look for Everclear at the ABC store. It's 180
> proof grain alcohol, same thing as moonshine only
> the taxes have been paid.

Well, yeah, almost.

Moonshine is any distilled liquor that is made to get around taxes.

Everclear is licensed and therefore expected to be clean, while shine, as you point out, is of uncontrolled quality.It can be clean, or it can be made from contaminated mash with birdshit in a bathtub. It all depends on what the distiller feels like.

Shine also comes in various forms, not just simple corn liquor but also flavored, etc. Again, it all depends on the shine distiller wants to do. If you make your own shine for personal consumption with friends, you will probably try to make it clean and of higher quality.

I knew guys in the service who could make shine out of anything, anywhere. Amazingly inventive for a bunch of hillbillies.

The stuff they were making for a quick profit during prohibition was downright disgusting, and often dangerous. When you're shipping your illegal shit to Chicago to sell to a bunch of underground speakeasies who gives a fuck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2009 12:11PM by tomahawk.

Posted by: Nomore ()
Date: September 20, 2009 06:24PM

I think you can buy Everclear in MD. I remember buying one in the deep south of Md. Tasted very bitter, and nasty.

Posted by: GMU Hokie ()
Date: September 20, 2009 06:54PM

Everclear is produced by LUXCO. For more information, go to www.luxco.com .

Availability in North America

Due to its high alcohol content, Everclear is illegal, unavailable, or difficult to find in many areas.
[edit] Canada

In Canada, Everclear is sold in the province of Alberta, but not in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and most other provinces.
[edit] United States
[edit] 190-proof

It is illegal to sell the 190-proof variety in some states of the United States, namely Florida, Hawaii, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota [3], Nevada, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, California, Kansas, and Illinois.
[edit] 151-proof

In California, Minnesota, North Dakota, Ohio and some other states, the 151-proof variety is sold.
[edit] Uses

Posted by: Kanye ()
Date: September 21, 2009 12:52AM

Whenever I want Everclear I drink some rubbing alcohol. It's the same thing but I must admit rubbling alcohol is like lift beer compared to everclear.

Posted by: Urgh ()
Date: September 21, 2009 01:02AM

Rubbing alcohol is not pure drinkable alcohol like Everclear.

Formula 23-H (8 parts by volume of acetone, 1.5 parts by volume of methyl isobutyl ketone, and 100 parts by volume of ethyl alcohol). It contains 97.5-100% by volume of absolute ethyl alcohol, the rest consists of water and the denaturants, with or without color additives, and perfume oils. Rubbing Alcohol contains in each 100 mL not less than 355 mg of sucrose octaacetate or not less than 1.40 mg of denatonium benzoate.

Posted by: Urgh ()
Date: September 21, 2009 01:04AM

This is Everclear -

Everclear is a brand of neutral grain spirit that is available at concentrations of 75.5% alcohol (151 proof) and 95% alcohol (190 proof),[1] in contrast to hard liquors such as rum and vodka, which typically contain 40%–60% alcohol (80–120 proof).

Since 95.6% ethanol and 4.4% water form an azeotrope (meaning that simple distillation cannot remove any of the remaining water), 191-proof spirits are the maximum proof that is available from the distilled beverage industry.

Because Everclear is a neutral grain spirit, it is relatively low in congeners.

Posted by: tomahawk ()
Date: September 21, 2009 01:15AM

Kanye Wrote:
> Whenever I want Everclear I drink some rubbing
> alcohol. It's the same thing but I must admit
> rubbling alcohol is like lift beer compared to
> everclear.

I hope nobody here is stupid enough to drink rubbing alcohol, but this IS the internet, I know...

Posted by: Thurston Moore ()
Date: September 21, 2009 02:23AM

Kanye Wrote:
> Whenever I want Everclear I drink some rubbing
> alcohol. It's the same thing but I must admit
> rubbling alcohol is like lift beer compared to
> everclear.

Rubbing Alcohol is wood alcohol.

It will eventually make you go blind.

Tipper Gore should have a little chat with you about consuming rubbing alcohol. She knows all about it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
The function of conservatives is not to meet every liberal program or scheme with a denunciation or a destructive counterscheme, but rather to weigh its advantages and defects, supporting the first and challenging the second. A declaration of ideological warfare against liberalism is by its nature profoundly unconservative. It meets perceived radicalism with a counterradicalism of its own.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: September 21, 2009 02:43AM

tubby Wrote:
> DL Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Anyone ever had a moonshine? I wanna try that
> > stuff.
>
> Look for Everclear at the ABC store. It's 180
> proof grain alcohol, same thing as moonshine only
> the taxes have been paid.
>
> It's also been produced under sanitary conditions
> unlike most moonshine. Do you want the dead bugs
> and bird shit removed from your 'shine by
> straining it through a nasty, sweaty hat?

Try 200 Proof Straight Alcohol. You can only drink a sip of that stuff, otherwise you'll end up head first in the dirt real quick.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: September 21, 2009 02:45AM

Thurston Moore Wrote:
> Kanye Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Whenever I want Everclear I drink some rubbing
> > alcohol. It's the same thing but I must admit
> > rubbling alcohol is like lift beer compared to
> > everclear.
>
>
> Rubbing Alcohol is wood alcohol.
>
> It will eventually make you go blind.
>
> Tipper Gore should have a little chat with you
> about consuming rubbing alcohol. She knows all
> about it.

Yea, Rubbing Alcohol is similar in its state to Witch Hazel (A Plant Based Formula). Good Lord, who in their right mind would want to drink that garbage?

Posted by: Thurston Moore ()
Date: September 21, 2009 02:49AM

ThePackLeader Wrote:

> Yea, Rubbing Alcohol is similar in its state to
> Witch Hazel (A Plant Based Formula). Good Lord,
> who in their right mind would want to drink that
> garbage?

True alcoholics, the people who cannot survive without alcohol, as opposed to people who simply enjoy a good buzz, will drink just about anything. Cologne, radiator fluid, fermented piss, you name it.

Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) is NOT drinkable. Unless one wants to go blind and eventually die.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
The function of conservatives is not to meet every liberal program or scheme with a denunciation or a destructive counterscheme, but rather to weigh its advantages and defects, supporting the first and challenging the second. A declaration of ideological warfare against liberalism is by its nature profoundly unconservative. It meets perceived radicalism with a counterradicalism of its own.

Posted by: Clobbersaurus ()
Date: September 21, 2009 05:09AM

Just be thankful that you can buy beer at grocery stores and your local stop and robs instead of a horribly overpriced distributor (i.e. Pennsylvania)!

Posted by: ABC ()
Date: September 21, 2009 08:49AM

Just go into DC to get your liquor needs. Everything is competatively priced a and they have Everclear too. I recommend Schneiders of Capitol Hill... really good selection there. Just don't get caught bringing too much back over the border.

On the moonshine note, I used to live near Franklin County, and they had some fantastic shine there. They would put half of a peach / apple in the mason jar and leave it for a year. It would taste as non-alcoholic as juice and pack a hell of a punch. Also, you can always get Mascherano cherries, drain them, put them in a jar, and fill it up with Everclear. Leave for a few days to a week and you have some potent cherries on your hands!

Posted by: FurfaxTownie ()
Date: September 21, 2009 09:15AM

Leave it the way it is. You cut the tax revenue stream off there it will only pop up somewhere else, probably by raising the marignal tax rate. Consumption taxes are the most equitable method of taxing. Remember, the car tax anyone???? We all voted a guy in to get ride of it. But that money had come from somewhere eventually.

I also enjoy walking around most parts of the county and not having to avoid stepping on small liquor bottles. Its fairly easy to dodge the occasional empty 40oz bottle. It also keeps most of the bumbs in DC and MD as they feel more comfortable walking into shady/seedy liqour stores to medicate themselvs.

Lest we not forget the law of unintended consequences. Also, lets not take out ques on how they do things in California. The state is bankrupt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2009 09:16AM by FurfaxTownie.

Posted by: viennaman ()
Date: September 21, 2009 09:19AM

so is there a limit on how much booze you can bring over a state border? and also, what is the difference between proof and ABV?

Posted by: FurfaxTownie ()
Date: September 21, 2009 09:26AM

Yes there is a limit, ZERO. To my knowledge, which is a verbal conversation i had a DCPD officer, its illegal to transport alcohol accross state lines unless you have some sort of permit. Sorry, I'm as talented as Register Voter with the posting of links to back up my sources. However, I think its a violation of interstate commerce as alcohol is a controlled substance. This is also why those beer of the month, or wine of the month clubs are not able to send thier products to certain states.

The only exception i can think of is duty free.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2009 09:40AM by FurfaxTownie.

Posted by: ABC ()
Date: September 21, 2009 09:26AM

Viennaman-

You can bring into Virginia one gallon of distilled spirits.

In the U.S., proof is simply the double of ABV. (40% alcohol = 80 proof). We mainly keep this on our bottles out of tradition, and for export purposes. If you go to major whiskey countries (Ireland, Scotland) it gets a bit more complicated.

Posted by: PA Sucks ()
Date: September 21, 2009 09:32AM

Clobbersaurus Wrote:
> Just be thankful that you can buy beer at grocery
> stores and your local stop and robs instead of a
> horribly overpriced distributor (i.e.
> Pennsylvania)!

+1

Gotta love PA's logic. You can't go into any store anywhere (with reasonable prices -- off-premises from a bar doesn't count) to buy a 6-pack if you and a friend want to have a couple after a day's work or whatever. No, the state makes you buy it a case at a time, so you can get shitfaced instead. Brilliant!

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: September 21, 2009 09:48AM

Not sure what you mean by "off premesis from a bar", but there were a bunch of "bottle shops" in State College, PA when I lived there. They were little stores, usually attached to a bar or hotel, that sold six packs and 40's. Everywhere else around the state, you could just buy carry-out six packs from a bar, but you could only carry out an amount less than or equal to 2 sixpacks of 16 oz.'ers.

I can remember plenty of times, after the distributors were closed, walking in and out of a bar carrying out 2 sixpacks each trip, in order to get enough beer for a party.

It's a screwed up state in terms of liquor laws, that's for sure, but you can usually get what you need. They're even changing the Sunday laws, I've heard.

PA Sucks Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
>
> +1
>
> Gotta love PA's logic. You can't go into any
> store anywhere (with reasonable prices --
> off-premises from a bar doesn't count) to buy a
> 6-pack if you and a friend want to have a couple
> after a day's work or whatever. No, the state
> makes you buy it a case at a time, so you can get
> shitfaced instead. Brilliant!

Date: September 21, 2009 06:59PM

I (philosophically) support privatizing the ABC...the State really doesn't belong in a retail business.

BUT, you can be absolutely, positively sure that due to graft, corruption, and cronyism that the taxpayers will get fucked, as always.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.