HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
What is Comp Time? New FF Employee..
Posted by: FFEmployE ()
Date: September 04, 2009 05:02PM

So I just started working for the county of fairfax and I can't figure out what the hell "comp time" is. Can someone please explain this to me?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What is Comp Time? New FF Employee..
Posted by: Dana Peterson ()
Date: September 04, 2009 05:08PM

"comp" time = compensatory time. It's like another form of leave (i.e., sick or annual). Say you are asked to work overtime for 4 hours one day. Your supervisor then tells you that you will be "compensated" for having worked overtime, not with $$$, but with four hours of leave in the future.

Date: September 04, 2009 05:15PM

So it's the same thing as Annual Leave then, but just earned differently?

Posted by: Dana Peterson ()
Date: September 04, 2009 05:18PM

Yes. You can think of it that way.

On the other hand, if you were to be granted the option of earning money rather than leave (I've never worked for Fairfax County, so I don't know), you might prefer the money. Some people want to have more leave than what their employer allows them and, therefore, they might be happier to accumulate more leave - whether annual or comp - and use it all together for a nice long vacation, for example.

Date: September 04, 2009 05:20PM

Thanks!

Posted by: FredTheFed ()
Date: September 04, 2009 05:56PM

Depending on the circumstances, Comp Time may given if the budget is shot
and overtime payments are not possible.

Posted by: The Congressman ()
Date: September 04, 2009 05:58PM

You can bank comp time at one grade, and then use it after you're promoted to a higher grade, iirc. This gives you more money for the same work.

Posted by: blah.. ()
Date: September 04, 2009 09:20PM

Or you can max it out and when a supervisor says, "Yea...you have to take your overtime in Comp Earned" you can say no problem, and it automatically is given as overtime pay.

Posted by: FFX Employee ()
Date: September 04, 2009 09:34PM

Also - depending on your pay grade, if you are below a grade 20, you'll get 1.5 hours for every hour worked. If you are a higher paygrade, it's straight time. The other thing that's good about it is that it is not taxed up front, like overtime pay is. So, it's really a better bang for the hour worked to take the comp time.

Posted by: xcountyemployhee ()
Date: September 04, 2009 10:03PM

If you plan to work for the county til you retire use Comp time when you are sick.
Bank your sick leave and when it is time to retire that is added as time in service and you can retire sooner. But if you want money payout when you retire you will get paid the worth of your comp time. Believe me it adds up and you get a good whooping check at the end.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.