HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pope Appoints New Fairfax County Get BIshop
Posted by: Jeud ()
Date: October 04, 2016 11:06AM

Pope Francis has appointed 59-year-old Raleigh Bishop Michael F. Burbidge as Arlington's new bishop after the current bishop, Paul S. Loverde, gave his resignation.

Burbidge, who has served in Raleigh, N.C., for the past 10 years, will take over on Dec. 6 at the Cathedral of St. Thomas More in Arlington, according to a statement from the Raleigh Diocese. Until then, Loverde will remain as apostolic administrator.

Loverde, 76, has led the Arlington Diocese for the last 17 years. Bishops are required to submit their resignation once they reach age 75.

Burbidge hails from Philadelphia. He graduated in 1975 from Cardinal O'Hara High School in Springfield, Pa., and was ordained a priest of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia in 1984 after attending St. Charles Borromeo Seminary, according to a Arlington Diocese report. He holds a bachelor's in philosophy and a master's in theology from the seminary.

Loverde, the outgoing bishop, established eight new parishes during his time in Arlington. He also dedicated 12 new churches and ordained more than 70 priests.

The Arlington Diocese was founded in 1974 and covers the cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Fredericksburg, Manassas, Manassas Park and Winchester, as well as 21 counties in Northern Virginia and down to Richmond. The total Catholic population it covers is 457,874.

"Over the past 10 years, I have had the profound pleasure of serving the great people of the Diocese of Raleigh," Burbidge said in the Raleigh statement. "From the moment I stepped foot in North Carolina, I was welcomed with warmth and love that I have never forgotten. I especially thank my brother priests for their consistent fraternal support, as well as for the help provided by the deacons, consecrated religious, and the lay faithful who have been so kind to me. It is with great certainty that while I will leave the Diocese of Raleigh later this year, the next Bishop will be welcomed with the same joy and love that I encountered. May Our Lord continue to bless the wonderful and holy people of the Diocese of Raleigh."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pope Appoints New Fairfax County Get BIshop
Posted by: Mike the Builder ()
Date: October 04, 2016 11:13AM

Bishop Burbidge is being brought in to double the number of Children in Catholic schools as demand continues to grow for alternatives to the public school systems. He is currently overseeing the construction of a massive new cathedral in North Carolina.

Posted by: Prince Ali ()
Date: October 04, 2016 11:25AM

Another priest for the children...

Posted by: YHFnu ()
Date: October 04, 2016 11:31AM

Jeud Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Burbidge hails from Philadelphia. He graduated in
> 1975 from Cardinal O'Hara High School in
> Springfield, Pa., and was ordained a priest of the
> Archdiocese of Philadelphia in 1984 after
> attending St. Charles Borromeo Seminary, according
> to a Arlington Diocese report. He holds a
> bachelor's in philosophy and a master's in
> theology from the seminary.

Of lord, didn't Philly have some child molestation case? Or was that the Boston Diocese?

Posted by: Quaking in his Boots ()
Date: October 04, 2016 02:36PM

The only one cares about this change is that nut job Father DeCelles. Burbridge needs to send him on a year-long discernment sabbatical to get his shit together or be excommunicated.

Posted by: ase ()
Date: October 04, 2016 09:35PM

Do you think that no rabbi ever buggered a kid?

"It's not the news room, it's the Jews room"

L Farrakhan

Posted by: Great ()
Date: October 04, 2016 10:25PM

So true about decelles.

Would be nice if catholic education was a more reasonable financial option around here.

Posted by: sponsor ()
Date: October 04, 2016 10:59PM

Great Wrote:
> So true about decelles.
>
> Would be nice if catholic education was a more
> reasonable financial option around here.

Our parish school is $5840 per year. People spend close to that on their silly-ass smart phones. Compare private schools at $20K and up.

Catholic schools provide excellent educations that include MANNERS that public schools can't touch.

I'm old and have a lot of money, so I sponsor two students paying their full tuition. Many others do this as well. When I die, my entire estate will go to tuition assistance.

Posted by: bCtyG ()
Date: October 04, 2016 11:33PM

Does this mean that the Arlington Diocese will no longer be one of the most conservative in the country?

Posted by: Follower ()
Date: October 05, 2016 12:13AM

bCtyG Wrote:
> Does this mean that the Arlington Diocese will no
> longer be one of the most conservative in the
> country?

Yes. You get it.

Say hello to female altar servers being "encouraged" instead of just "allowed."

Posted by: Build It They Will Come ()
Date: October 05, 2016 12:18AM

Paul VI HS is moving out of Fairfax to a huge campus.

John Paul the Great HS was built with enough room for expanding their student population for the next 20 years.

Bishop Ireton HS is putting together plans to double in size.

Catholic education is a growing business around here.

Posted by: Great ()
Date: October 05, 2016 07:40AM

It might be affordable for 2 kids. But, for a large Catholic family who got there by following church teachings and wanting a lot of kids, it's not an option.

Posted by: ASpringfieldCatholic ()
Date: October 11, 2016 09:47PM

He can encourage all he wants, but he can't force parishes to have female altar servers. That's left, as it should be, to the individual parishes.

Seeing as he's a fan of the TLM, don't count on him turning the Arlington Diocese into the Washington DC Archdiocese, thankfully.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.