HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Henry's Auto Auction...anyone?
Posted by: Car Buyer ()
Date: August 18, 2009 02:37PM

Has anyone purchased/went to Henry's Auto Auction in Manassas?

The cars that are not smashed, how are they? Any good?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Henry's Auto Auction...anyone?
Posted by: § ()
Date: August 18, 2009 02:58PM

I don't know, but I'd be weary purchasing a car at an auction.

They seem like ticking timebombs to me that even the dealers couldn't sell.

Now a seized or forfeited auto auction held by the police or DEA would probably be ok. You might have a shot at recovering some hidden stash in the seat cushions or ventilation ducts.

Posted by: hey ()
Date: August 18, 2009 03:39PM

Hey, I used to buy and sell cars from auctions and Henrys auto auction has got to be the most overpriced crappy auction I have seen. I left about 10 mins into the auction. I would highly recommend this auction in MD http://www.premierpaa.com/

They have good deals and good product but you really have to do your research auctions are not for the personal buyer usually because they do not have the knowledge/skill set to see what is a deal and what is a "junker". They have HIGH auction fee's but the cars sell for alot less than most auctions so its a win/win. My advice though if your a personal buyer just looking for a decent car is to go to a real car dealership or craigslist. Auctions are very fast so you have to know values in your head and make sure you see what the car needs before you place a bid.

Posted by: § ()
Date: August 18, 2009 04:38PM

I understand there is a place near Dulles airport on the west side in Loudoun Co. that does auctions. Know anything about that one?

The couple of times I've passed it, I thought it was a front for a fencing operation.

Posted by: WH3Mj ()
Date: August 19, 2009 09:15AM

You mean Odessa Auctions?

Posted by: wYtd7 ()
Date: August 19, 2009 09:15AM

make that Adesa

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: August 19, 2009 09:41AM

Is that what that place does?! I've always wondered. Thanks.

Border Security is CHEAPER Than Wars
Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: August 20, 2009 08:09AM

46166571-superbowl-rings-1987-washington

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2015 07:32AM by WingNut.

Posted by: Price ()
Date: August 20, 2009 03:09PM

§ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I understand there is a place near Dulles airport
> on the west side in Loudoun Co. that does
> auctions. Know anything about that one?

It's a dealers auction - you'll need someone with a dealer license to make a purchase. Not sure about now, but few years ago major leasing companies - VW leasing, BMW, Mercedes, etc - unloaded their inventory there, and you could score some great bargains.

Posted by: Tommy V. ()
Date: August 26, 2009 08:14PM

Buyers beware!

Posted by: Mr Captcha ()
Date: August 26, 2009 09:42PM

I prefer their insurance to their auctions.
Attachments:
218_Henry_s_logo.jpg

Posted by: harley ()
Date: May 06, 2010 07:41PM

J have bought several vehicles from Henrys and have had realy good luck with these vehicles. The staff has been very helpful with things. The main thing is if you do not know about cars then you need to go to a dealer. Auctions are not for peopole that do not know what to look for.

Posted by: Troll@AOL ()
Date: May 06, 2010 08:07PM

I prefer their monkey, than their insurance.

==================================================================================
"Why don't you LOSERS just pack your flower print DOUCHE BAGS
and get your stoopid @$$#$ THE FUCK OFF MY INTERNETZ!"

- 'philscamms' (the YT Watchdog) ; internet & YouTube® extraordinaire.

Posted by: Sean ()
Date: May 07, 2010 07:50AM

The last time I went to Henrys, I slipped in a giant pile of liquid feces. It got all over my white polo shirt so I left promptly.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: May 07, 2010 09:41AM

§ Wrote:
> I'd be weary purchasing a car at
> an auction.

That would make me tired too.

Posted by: Stickler ()
Date: May 08, 2010 08:24AM

LOL.

I'd be Larry purchasing a car at auction. Call me Loud Larry.

pgens Wrote:
> § Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'd be weary purchasing a car at
> > an auction.
>
> That would make me tired too.

Posted by: Ex Henrys Employee ()
Date: May 11, 2010 11:18AM

"Henrys is a junk auction, if they had anything good, their own people would get first pick of it."

"I prefer their insurance to their auctions."

Oh My god where do you dumbass's comeup with this stuff?

First off the cars are Junk, That you all should already know....But no the employees dont have the first shot at the cars.We had to bid just like all of you.and as far as Henry's insurance...Well after for laughing over 20 minutes Henry's Insurance has absolutly nothing to do with Rick Quinn (Henrys wrecker Service and Auction)

But hey...Keep up the good work!!!

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: May 12, 2010 10:15AM

I would never give Henry a cent of my money. Shady company with idiots for employees.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: May 14, 2010 09:46PM

Is the Henry's auction the same as Henry's towing service? If so, they're a bunch of crooks, and real POS.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: Ex Henry's Employee ()
Date: May 18, 2010 05:21PM

Ok so you all know...ANY public auction is the worst place to buy a car...Why you ask.Because at a dealer auction Dealers dont buy on emotion...period .There is a line they wont cross (line=Amount).Where at a public auction you have to bid against Mom & Pop buying a car that Little joey wants...Wrong way to buy.

Posted by: NGGXh ()
Date: May 18, 2010 05:39PM

Ex Henrys Employee Wrote:
> "Henrys is a junk auction, if they had anything
> good, their own people would get first pick of
> it."
>
> "I prefer their insurance to their auctions."
>
> Oh My god where do you dumbass's comeup with this
> stuff?
>
> First off the cars are Junk, That you all should
> already know....But no the employees dont have the
> first shot at the cars.We had to bid just like all
> of you.and as far as Henry's insurance...Well
> after for laughing over 20 minutes Henry's
> Insurance has absolutly nothing to do with Rick
> Quinn (Henrys wrecker Service and Auction)
>
> But hey...Keep up the good work!!!

Bullshit. They're all the same Harry. You should also know that the very same Harry also lived with the Hendersons before he met Sally. Also, when he's not insuring cars or auctioning them, he's "Providing the Best Soul Food on the Planet". Just look here... http://www.relevantyellow.com/profiles/5255 ... love me some sweet potato pie!

Posted by: Smiley ()
Date: June 01, 2010 02:02PM

I buy cars to smash in the demolition derby from there. Have had nothing but good luck with the 13 cars I have bought in the last few years. Most i have paid for a car is $275

Posted by: Karen ()
Date: April 28, 2011 11:25AM

Yes! We bought a SUV from Henry's back in January. We didn't plan on buying anything, was out first time. They had TONS of cars, but only two that we even considered buying. We unexpectedly found something that we were looking for. It's a fantastic SUV, and we've been pleasantly surprised. It's a gamble at best, but this one turned out great for us. The SUV was in great shape and great condition. Go, observe, looks. You may find a great deal!

Posted by: erwin graudszus ()
Date: May 31, 2011 09:52AM

I have bought from Henreys in the past. They hot wire the car, start it, back it up 2 feet, forward 2 feet, and sell it. You better know what the car is worth. As in Blue book value. Take someone who is a good auto mech. with you. Nearly all have some sort of Problem. Could be damm expensive if you miss it. I see it as a good first car source. They'll destroy it anyway. Just don't OVERBID. Too many get too excited and pay way too much. this is an auction and you should buy cheap. More would be buyers are going to them and the prices have gone up alot. Go just to look the first time and Think About It. A better auvtion would be the Police Impound Auction in Montg. Co. MD. It's in Germantown, MD. last Sat. of the month. Don't blame me if you buy something that costs more to fix than a new one. Luck to you, you'll probably need it .

Posted by: Keep up the good work ()
Date: May 31, 2011 08:45PM

> But no the employees dont have the
> of you.

You must be one of the bottom feeders at Henry's; cause I know otherwise...
Been in the yard, with an employee lurking (though many many years ago)
Keep up the good work!!!

Posted by: gem ()
Date: August 06, 2011 11:34AM

25 YEARS AGO IT WAS AN OK PLACE TO BUY.
TODAY IT SUCKS.
OVERPRICED JUNK.
THESE ARE CARS DEALERS CAN NOT SELL DUE TO SAFETY OR SERIOUS MECHANICAL ISSUES.
SOME PRIVATE OWNERS TAKE CARS TO HENRYS BECAUSE THEY HAVE MAJOR ISSUES AND CAN NOT SELL ON THE STREET.
MANY HAVE BAD TRANSMISSION, NEED NEW MOTORS OR OTHER MAJOR PROBLEMS.
I HAVE SEEN MANY, MANY PEOPLE GET SCREWED BUYING AT THIS LOT.
THE AUCTION PROCESS IS VERY QUESTIONABLE.

Posted by: FunAndGames ()
Date: August 07, 2011 03:40PM

> "Henrys is a junk auction, if they had anything
> good, their own people would get first pick of
> it."
>
> "I prefer their insurance to their auctions."
>
> Oh My god where do you dumbass's comeup with this
> stuff?
>
> First off the cars are Junk, That you all should
> already know....But no the employees dont have the
> of you.and as far as Henry's insurance...Well
> after for laughing over 20 minutes Henry's
> Insurance has absolutly nothing to do with Rick
> Quinn (Henrys wrecker Service and Auction)
>
> But hey...Keep up the good work!!!

Rick Quinn hasn't owned Henry's in years! It is owned by 2 people from the Baltimore Ravens ORG

Posted by: marshal ogbeide ()
Date: July 12, 2012 05:02PM

i love henry auto action

Posted by: Scott ()
Date: July 12, 2012 05:54PM

True, Adessa is mainly for dealers, although they have one or two lanes for the general public. Those are the older more beat-up cars.

A lot of cars they have there are newer: rentals that have been retired, lease turn - ins, and repo's

The auction is every Wednesday at 9am. It is located on Route 606 (Old Ox Road) just north of Us Route 50/Arcola.

Posted by: Sum Guy ()
Date: August 17, 2012 10:03AM

I have been to Henrys a lot and will be going tomorrow too

BE WARNED

You need to KNOW some things before you go

The cars there can be
Dealer dumps
Private Seller dumps
Impounds
Police Impounds
and even dumps from Henrys Employees (this one is most troubling)

With that said, I have purchased a few vehicles there and got what I paid for, Im not going to detail what vehicle so Henrys cant tell who I am

The first car I got was an older one, more of a classic, it looked terrible but was undamaged, we cleaned it up, cut the paint, it is 100% sound and I have been offered 5 times what I paid for it, its a classic head turner, I got it for nothiing

Second car, looked good, then found it had paint runs, bad trans, bad timing chain, I put 3k in it and its top notch now but the total cost puts it at dealer blue book.

Third car, a REAL STEAL, car is a extremely rare car that no one else really noticed, no one bid, I got it for minimum bid, was 100% sound but filthy, cleaned it up and everyone I tell about how i got it and what it cost is jealous as hell, I paid under 400 its worth over 10k

I have turned down 12k for it

Here are my lessons learned from Hnerys

NUMBER 1 - WATCH OUT FOR CARS PARKED NEAR ENTRANCE, Henrys has an employee, manager or owner, that lives in Fredericksburg, he brings a vehicle (usually a truck) to auction, parks there, then he bids on it driving price up and if he gets his reserve he turns and walks away, leaving you with a high priced problem vehicle he doesnt want. He pulled this on me with the number 2 vehicle above and I did not know he worked there.

Number 2- Avoid vehicles with auto trans, more than likely thats y they are there, henrys will start and move them forward backward 1 foot, means nothing with regards to trans.

Number 3 get there early and note any fluid leaks, then later note cars that didnt leal that now are leaking, THESE ARE GOLD, that new leaking means somone wants them and has dumped some fluid they brough with them, happens quite a bit.

Number 4 - Dont jump right in the bidding, wait till end and then jump in, be aware of who is bidding on what as you proceeed, look for shills,

Number 5- The auction is every other saturday, go there a few times and just watch and see who are regulars and how they bid and on what, some cars go high regardless of condition.

Most cars have keys some dont, most have titles some dont, take a laptop get there early get VINS go to Mcdonalds up the road and carfax em

If you buy and it drives you can get a dmv trip permit for 5 bucks from dmv website to dsrive it home that day. I have driven everything I bought home no problem.

So its an auction, buyer beware, I have had good luck there

Posted by: Some guy ()
Date: August 17, 2012 10:09AM

Let me add this too, I posted the notes about Henry above,

To the guy that is trolling on behalf of PAA in MD
I went there, one time
Forget that auction, its a ripoff
All he cars are locked, you cant take time to look them over until they go on the block, minutes to make an important decision
The clientele they draw there, well, lock yer car dont bring cash and be aware of your surroundings, i stayed there 30 minutes and said f theis noise and came back to virginia

Posted by: speaking of auctions ()
Date: August 17, 2012 05:04PM

What I would like to know is...where is the closest auction or spot to buy ex-police vehicles? Prefer in VA, as long as it runs and has been maintained enough to pass inspection with little work.

Thanks!

Posted by: me16171 ()
Date: August 31, 2012 01:20PM

What is the average price for cars there? Looking for something under $400 thag drives to use as a farm car/demolition derby type car. Thanks

Posted by: MudMan ()
Date: June 19, 2015 12:37AM

Hello everyone and good luck with purchasing anything from this company. Most of the other statements are true but a few are somewhat skewed and slightly over exaggerated. I have purchased over fifty vehicles from this company over a period of three years and in that time I've had some good deals that I've made money on and I've had some bad deals that I lost money on. In this racket that's the name of the game - you win some and you lose some. I concur that only mechanical minded people who know about cars should participate in any of these types of auctions, however, if one doesn't try then how does one get experience. In this field of livelihood "Experience" is more important that money because anyone with money can buy but not everyone can buy, fix up, and sell and still make a profit. With the cost of parts and labor going up like slot machines it's very difficult to make a buck. However, if you are buying a car to fix up and put your eighteen year old behind the wheel then think twice about this auction. For example: I once bought a Cadillac for 1100.00 and three weeks later sold it for 4500.00. Good money but I was "temporarily persuaded" that there was something wrong with that car. According to the dipstick it had a blown head gasket but once I got the car home I found out that someone deliberately sabotaged the engine with water and tossed trash in the back to make it look bad. My bidding competitor was so mad that he lost the auction on that particular car that after is was over he walked up to one of the people working there and said, "you told me that I would get that car for 800.00 and that's all I brought with me today..... It was after hearing these words that I new something was wrong. They purposely sabotaged it to help a friend win the auction at a substantial reduced price. These people are definitely friendly to your face but don't turn your back without wearing some kind of armor. Gooood luck and keep your hands on your money. Sticky fingers are everywhere.

Posted by: Dead Car Collector ()
Date: June 19, 2015 01:12AM

Does anyone buy old dead/junk cars for more than $300?

Posted by: budget black man ()
Date: June 19, 2015 04:22AM

You can get your best deals on junk yard cars. They are put back together using the best parts in the yard, then sold for cheap.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.