HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
GMU Electronic sign on Braddock Rd
Posted by: Citizen ()
Date: September 05, 2006 08:06PM

What do you think of this sign?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: GMU Electronic sign on Braddock Rd
Posted by: Tara ()
Date: September 05, 2006 08:10PM

It's a bit much in my opinion. I wonder if it will cause an accident.

Posted by: Lurker ()
Date: September 05, 2006 08:18PM

I say let GMU enjoy the one year of fame they got from basketball games. It may never happen again in GMU life time. LOL

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: September 05, 2006 08:24PM

It blocks the view of the traffic signal approaching from the east on Braddock until you are almost on top of the light going at speed. I complained to VDOT and noted that there are lots of pedestrian students around the area that could receive inverse benefits from this arrangement. They said the sign wasn't mounted on a public right-of-way and forwarded the complaint to GMU. They also said they had received a lot of complaints and forwarded those as well.

So if you don't like it, I'd say email VDOT because at least they know who to forward the complaint to at GMU.

It is good to know that if I can build a pole long enough to completely block a traffic signal without touching it that VDOT won't do squat as long as the pole is anchored in my yard. Not really surprising behavior from VDOT... they won't put any effort into fixing extremely dangerous traffic situations until one or more fatalities occur as a result of the danger. I'm not kidding... ask the families of those who died at Oday and Route 29 (Centreville) in the late 90's. Complaint and warning after warning and VDOT did nothing. Accident after accident... nothing. A couple of fatalities and they finally extended the median and blocked left turns onto 29. So to end the rant, the GMU sign won't come down until a student is nailed or enough rear-end collisions at a stopped signal at that intersection occur, preferably with someone dying if you are a VDOT official.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: September 05, 2006 08:44PM

I aint seen it yet. Can someone get a pic?

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: September 05, 2006 11:57PM

The consensus from six couples at our Labor Day house party was that this is an accident waiting to happen. Sitting on Sideburn Road drivers get distracted and fail to notice when the light turns green. I have already seen two pedestrians nearly get clipped while crossing the street as drivers attempt to read the sign as they are turning.

It really is a nice sign, however, and would do a good job of promoting events at the Patriot Center if it were in a better location.

Posted by: stinkypoon ()
Date: September 06, 2006 10:18AM

I agree, it is a bit much. It's a distraction, like "hey look now we have a bright flashy sign OMG!!!!"

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: September 06, 2006 11:02AM

What does the sign say?

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: September 06, 2006 11:17AM

Lots of things. It's a flashing billboard for whatever future events they have.

Posted by: 345 ()
Date: September 06, 2006 11:54AM

"What does the sign say?"

It says, WE WILL ALWAYS BE A 2-BIT COMMUTER SCHOOL.

Posted by: TrickiL ()
Date: September 06, 2006 01:35PM

I like the sign too. But I have only seen it from outside the campus not sittting there waiting for the light to change. By the way, Mr. Burnham, we are sort of neighbors. You always seem so nice in your posts.

Trickie

Date: September 06, 2006 01:40PM

TrickiL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> By the way, Mr. Burnham, we
> are sort of neighbors. You always seem so nice in
> your posts.
>
> Trickie

Thank you for the compliment. I try to stay out of the personal attacks. Do you live in Middleridge?

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: September 06, 2006 01:46PM

saw this on channel 9. female students interviewed. "like i think its a good ideAH? cuz it shows class spirIIT? but like if its a problem it can be turned OFF? like its good good for the students cuz it like shows the community we like CARE?"

Posted by: Jester ()
Date: September 06, 2006 01:57PM

I can live with it.
Attachments:
gmu1.gif
gmu2.gif

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: September 06, 2006 02:19PM

i saw this sign previously, took a picture but i cant get my damn phone to transfer files. oh well. anyway, i think putting it right before a stoplight is not the best idea. you know, the whole reading the sign and rearending the person in front of you.

anyone want to guess how much it cost?   :)

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2006 02:21PM by Gravis.

Date: September 06, 2006 02:21PM

No offense to the GMU alums, but it looks sorta cheesy...

Someone needs to get a good close-up image of this so we can Photoshop goofy and insulting things onto it.

Posted by: Maverick ()
Date: September 06, 2006 02:31PM

It adds kinda a FedEX Field look to the University.

The problem is it's just like a flash as you round the curb both ways and the light changes pretty quick.

Posted by: joe ()
Date: September 06, 2006 04:28PM

I knew about the sign, and have "ridden" past it before. But, I have not noticed the traffic signal until now! :D

Date: September 06, 2006 05:52PM

Attachments:
gmu3.gif

Posted by: TrickiL ()
Date: September 06, 2006 07:20PM

Mr. Burnham,

No I live in the neighborhood near the GMU baseball field. ( not the public housing) But my good friend lives on Concordia and I am in the neighborhood a lot. I shop at the Giant. You are very nice.

Hugs, Trickie

Date: September 06, 2006 07:38PM

srsly
Attachments:
gmu1.jpg

Date: September 06, 2006 09:08PM

Meeper, I am shocked and disappointed. I would have expected something more like this from you lol srsly

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2006 09:14PM by pgens.
Attachments:
gmu_ani.gif

Posted by: jester ()
Date: September 06, 2006 09:20PM

Oh yeah...
Attachments:
gmu02.gif

Date: September 06, 2006 09:39PM

I would have expected something more like this from you lol srsly

I was too busy. Yours is really really good though Gravis, i like it. A good closeup jpeg of this sign could equal a lot of goofy laughs in the future, it's hard to work with those small images.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2006 09:40PM by TheMeeper.

Posted by: duh ()
Date: September 06, 2006 10:35PM

Since when do the maniacs around here pay any attention to their driving anyway?

The sign IS too close to the road, though....some asshole with a cell phone glued to their head will knock it down in no time. Just kick one of it's three legs out from under it, and over she goes!

Date: September 06, 2006 10:39PM

....some asshole with a cell phone glued to their head will knock it down in no time

Thus spoke Darwin.

Date: September 07, 2006 10:59PM

So are you all using the magic wand in PS to do that?

Date: September 08, 2006 07:14AM

So are you all using the magic wand in PS to do that?

I just clone-stamped the original stuff off the yellow background and manually drew the letters.

Gravis, what software do you use to create the gif animation?

Posted by: Lurker ()
Date: September 08, 2006 09:02AM

In PS eye drop the yellow sign background color. Draw a rectangle and paint bucket it with the background color. Then just fill in the your text.

Date: September 08, 2006 03:21PM

Gravis does animations?

Date: September 08, 2006 03:59PM

Gravis does animations?

My mistake, I thought he posted it. Pgens- what software did you use for the gif?

Date: September 08, 2006 05:04PM

lol a GIF Construction Set demo for the GIF animations.

Date: September 08, 2006 08:53PM

pgens,
   thanks for the extra 30 points.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: September 09, 2006 08:52PM

Gravis Wrote:
> pgens,
>    thanks for the extra 30 points.

Any time. Would have given stidman 60 points but couldn't fit the whole thing on the sign.

Posted by: Firrat ()
Date: September 10, 2006 01:49PM

Haha :)

Date: September 13, 2006 07:22PM

NBC4's 6PM broadcast did a short story tonite about this GMU sign...apparently this board isn't the only place that's complaining about it. I found there was also an article about it in the Fairfax Conection.

http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/article.asp?article=70704&paper=63&cat=104

Date: September 13, 2006 08:51PM

lol! the article in the Fairfax Connection shouldnt be "University Reachs Out to Community" but rather "University Reaches Out to Community, Community Reaches for Gun." also, do note that it's "Reaches", not "Reachs"

so... anyone want to start a pool on how long it takes before it gets burned down? :P

Posted by: Jon W ()
Date: September 13, 2006 10:26PM

Are we really that eager to jump on this? If yall are too ADD to deal with it then take a pill. GMU obviously made a few extra bucks in light of there new found success. I remember all of us being on their band wagon last march. I hardly consider it a distraction, I drive all around GMU all the time and it's no problem.

Date: September 13, 2006 11:51PM

Was anyone else as shocked as I was to learn that GMU does not need to go through ANY zoning or permitting process? Maybe I am just naive, but this just seems wrong, especially when GMU is landlocked in the middle of a high density residential area.

I understand that they did not need anyone's permission to erect the sign, but did anyone at GMU even stop to ask whether something this large and bright might have some impact on traffic? I pity the first driver who kills a pedestrian as a result of being distracted.

Date: September 14, 2006 01:00AM

Jon W Wrote:
> I remember all of us being on
> their band wagon last march.

ORLY? - http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read.php?2,13274,13278#msg-13278

jackass.

Posted by: uhhcya ()
Date: September 14, 2006 08:18AM

I go to mason. I think its about time we have something cool on the outskirts of campus. It attracts attention, both good and bad which may suck but this is Northern VA... There are tons of things that will cause accidents, including girls wearing tight clothes walking down the street, or other random things like that. Sad to say but alot of people here cant drive.

Date: September 14, 2006 08:39AM

actually it's that a lot of people CAN drive, do drive, and suck at it.

Posted by: uhhcya ()
Date: September 14, 2006 08:47AM

Reston Peace, this is true, that makes more sense.

Date: September 14, 2006 09:00AM

SO here are the people who dont like change and want to keep this place boring......

Go live in West Virginia please.

Date: September 14, 2006 11:57AM

You are right in that perhaps students from West Virginia that will be struck by vehicles in that intersection will return to West Virginia for final resting.

Date: September 14, 2006 03:12PM

I was recently in Wva, West Va University, actually, and it seems that people are good drivers there. The campus in Morgantown is built on basically a cliff and people managae to parallell park on like a 20 degree slope. Not too many people can PP at all around here. And, when you walk across the road, people actually STOP to allow you to get across and dont try to run you down or honk or otherwise be assholes. I might reccomed we send all our drivers there so they may attempt to drive. All the streets are either 1 way or 2 lanes, and yet there are no traffic jams. The roads are basically carved out of a cliff (right in the edge with speed limit 70 and 90 degree curves) and people drive amazingly. I bet if anyone from here went there while it was snowing they would all be dead. I am sure that you could put your car in nuetral and put your foot on the brake and go around like that in the winter there.

Date: September 14, 2006 07:36PM

Awwright, who fucked up the sign? It was out today.

I like the sign. My daughter loves Disney on Ice and because of that sign, I was able to get in there early enough to get her some primo tickets!

Anybody that can't see the traffic light at Sideburn needs to HANG UP AND DRIVE!

Date: September 14, 2006 08:16PM

I noticed it was out too. I also got a note from GMU saying they are holding meetings with the community regarding the sign. My guess is that either they have turned it off during morning and afternoon rush or maybe have turned it off altogether until something gets worked out.

There was an article in the Post about it today as well.

Posted by: Maverick ()
Date: September 14, 2006 09:15PM

I shot out all the lights with wrist rocket last night, took about four hours but you can see the sign is out now.

Date: September 14, 2006 09:16PM

I swear we got a bunch of "bored and dont know who/what to pick on" living here in fairfax....We should throw them into the middle of no where so they can have peace and quiet.

....DONT LOOK AT IT !!! YOU HAVE THE POWER!!

Date: September 14, 2006 10:12PM

___
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-
O RLY?
Attachments:
FFXdign.jpg

Date: September 14, 2006 10:13PM

Sounds good Firrat... by the way I think your mom wants you off the computer by 9p and you are already overdue. Good night!

Date: September 15, 2006 03:06AM

finally got the image of the sign off my cell phone. as you can see, they were just finishing up with it. it's low res but a good shot.

Attachments:
mason_sign.jpg

Date: September 15, 2006 07:32AM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> ___
> {o,o}
> |)__)
> -"-"-
> O RLY?

lmao ahhaahhaha

Posted by: mvilhelm ()
Date: September 15, 2006 08:00AM

cheap shot -where did you graduate from?

Posted by: Mike22Va ()
Date: September 15, 2006 09:09AM

Keep in mind Nova's annadale campus, and pretty much all the other nova colleges have had electronic signs (near stop light) for as long as I can remember... It's just a PR thing, it'll bring more money in when people notice "season tickets on sale" bla bla... Everyone needs to stop being a baby, oh no you may rear end the driver in front of you. that's bs

Date: September 15, 2006 09:57AM

NoVA's sign is between stoplights, recessed from the road about twenty feet. It doesn't physically block the approaching driver's view of the traffic signal like GMU's obnixious sign does and does not pose the same hazards. If GMU's sign was like NoVA's I wouldn't have complained enough to write VDOT.

Date: September 16, 2006 09:50AM

Something was up yesterday afternoon...
Attachments:
0915061536.jpg

Posted by: mariokart ()
Date: September 16, 2006 09:59AM

this thread fucking delivers

Date: September 16, 2006 01:38PM

Good, the sign's back on. I hope it just had a glitch, and that they didn't turn it off in deference to the assholes that don't like it. I used to work for the State (in facilities) and the State answers to no one about what it does on land it owns. Sometimes they do bow to political pressure, but not usually. Once a Ffax County fire marshal (apparently an inexperienced one) walked into one of our places and wanted to inspect...we told him to inspect the door on his way out (and to not let it hit him in the ass!).

Again, if you can't get by that sign without hitting somebody or something...you shouldn't be driving.

Date: September 16, 2006 03:02PM

duh Wrote:
> Again, if you can't get by that sign without
> hitting somebody or something...you shouldn't be
> driving.

that's why they are called accidents, you fucktard.

Date: September 16, 2006 06:46PM

There's no such thing as an accident, you moron.

What are called accidents are actually the logical result of stupidity.

Date: September 16, 2006 08:53PM

duh Wrote:
> if you can't get by that sign without hitting somebody
> or something...you shouldn't be driving.

There are enough idiots distracting themselves in cars... we don't need some sign GMU puts up to add to it.

As for kicking out a fire marshal... good, burn.

Date: September 16, 2006 09:05PM

Lol, burn and the fire marshal.

I don't like fire marshals. They say that everything is a fire hazard.

Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: September 19, 2006 05:59PM

There is a meeting tonight at Oakview Elementary school to discuss this sign. The neighborhood acrosss the street is upset with the sign. I don't think it looks bad.

Trickie

Posted by: Jester ()
Date: September 19, 2006 06:59PM

Did you see the Mason sign today?
Attachments:
masonsign3.gif

Date: September 20, 2006 01:22AM

Jester Wrote:
> Did you see the Mason sign today?

your photo editing skills suck.

Date: September 20, 2006 01:24AM

Man the ladies just must not be able to stay away from you, gravis. Such a charmer.

Date: September 29, 2006 01:02PM

The GMU sign seemed different when I drove my earlier today...much more mellow. No more flashing, strobe-like graphics and the messages seemed to stay there long enough to read them. Overall, much less distracting and I think that this is a reasonable compromise with the local residents. While this might be causing GMU to use on 10% of the signs capabilities, it still gets the point across without becoming a public nuisance.

Date: September 29, 2006 01:37PM

If they would do that, plus move it twenty feet father away from the road I wouldn't have a problem with it. But it still blocks the view of the traffic signal as you approach from the east. The strip it is on can easily accommodate a twenty-foot move away from the street.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2006 01:37PM by pgens.

Date: September 30, 2006 10:56AM

pgens Wrote:
> If they would do that, plus move it twenty feet
> father away from the road I wouldn't have a
> problem with it. But it still blocks the view of
> the traffic signal as you approach from the east.

i agree.

Posted by: Hump Trump ()
Date: March 30, 2016 05:47PM

Rookie mistake

Posted by: Puberty kick in? ()
Date: March 31, 2016 09:27PM

Hump Trump Wrote:
> Rookie mistake

Where were you 10 years ago when the thread was relevant?

Posted by: vTWEv ()
Date: April 02, 2016 08:00AM

vTWEv

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.