HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
RCA building in Rosslyn. What do they do in there? Repair stereo equipment?
Posted by: RCA in Rosslyn? ()
Date: June 10, 2016 10:48AM

How long has RCA been in Rosslyn?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: RCA building in Rosslyn. What do they do in there? Repair stereo equipment?
Posted by: Patience is a virtue ()
Date: June 10, 2016 11:02AM

They're waiting, biding their time until the day these bad boys make a thunderous comeback.
Attachments:
$_3.jpg

Posted by: Curtis Mathis ()
Date: June 11, 2016 11:04PM

I work there along with hundreds of other Oompah-Loompahs repairing tube TVs.

Posted by: mkKPL ()
Date: June 11, 2016 11:13PM

I think it's getting torn down. All of Rosslyn is being renovated.

Posted by: Arlington native ()
Date: June 13, 2016 09:16AM

It was built in the mid 70s. RCA owned and had it built. Just offices and investment. It was one of the first high rise buildings in that area along with the Marriott hotel and the two big grey brick government buildings further up on Wilson blvd. The Marriott was a rootbeer plant, and the RCA site was pawn shops and trolley/railroad repair. Some brothels as well.

Posted by: bench ()
Date: June 13, 2016 10:23AM

Patience is a virtue Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They're waiting, biding their time until the day
> these bad boys make a thunderous comeback.

Those bad boys never left as far as I'm concerned. My hobby is bringing them back to life.

Once you understand how they work, it's easy. All you need is an oscilloscope, a dot generator, and a few other basic test instruments. It's usually the electrolytics that go bad with age. Very seldom is it a bad tube.

I just finished restoring a very rare 1956 RCA color set. It works perfectly now. You could almost buy a new car for what that set cost in 1956. Kind of crazy considering there were only a very few programs broadcast in color back then (Mostly on NBC which was owned by RCA).

Posted by: 4NMEE ()
Date: June 13, 2016 10:31AM

Arlington native Wrote:
> It was built in the mid 70s. RCA owned and had it
> built. Just offices and investment. It was one of
> the first high rise buildings in that area along
> with the Marriott hotel and the two big grey brick
> government buildings further up on Wilson blvd.
> The Marriott was a rootbeer plant, and the RCA
> site was pawn shops and trolley/railroad repair.
> Some brothels as well.

There was also an adult movie theater nearby too am I correct?

Date: June 13, 2016 12:28PM

I remember a movie theater in Roslyn, but don't recall them showing any x rated. There was the dirty byrde across fort Myers off of second street and they were all x rated starting when deep throat came out in the early seventies. And the Wilson theater was on Wilson blvd just up from the fire house. We used to go into the big grey building to buy cokes out of the machine in the massage parlor to check out the half naked "massage girls" and they would get mad and throw is out as we were well under age. But it was better than the Sears catalog as Victoria secret wasn't around yet. Cheap thrills for prepubescent boys, but what the hell. We crawled out on a huge log one day on the river and got stranded in the middle of the river. The DC police had to rescue us(though we thought we were doing just fine) and made the front page of the metro section in the post. Roslyn has changed a lot. It's bigger but it was a lot more interesting before. The big joke in the 70s was: what do key bridge and Jimmy Carter have in common? They both enter Roslyn. Stupid stuff but what the hell. Kept us entertained..

Posted by: blanche ()
Date: June 13, 2016 12:37PM

The movie theatre was up Wilson before the Courthouse area -- an old low rise strip of mom and pop shops about the level of where Ray's the Steaks is located on the other side of the road. I think it was replaced by the building that Red, Hot and Blue is located in.

Posted by: Arlington Inn? ()
Date: June 13, 2016 12:42PM

What was the name of the strip club in the shopping center where Ben's Chili Bowl is now?

Date: June 13, 2016 02:06PM

Arlington grill.

Date: June 13, 2016 02:14PM

Arlington grill

Posted by: Eyeballs. ()
Date: June 13, 2016 02:23PM

Arlington native Wrote:
> Arlington grill.

What a dive it was. I was only there once and the girls were smoking cigarettes
and talking to each other while they were dancing. They looked like Hell before
breakfast too.

Posted by: old ()
Date: June 13, 2016 03:03PM

Arlington native Wrote:
> Arlington grill

Was it ever called the Village Grill? As in Colonial Village.

Seems like I remember that, not sure.

Date: June 13, 2016 10:22PM

Don't recall. Had a friend that used to close the place often. I'll have to check as he would know. There were several of these places in the county along with 6 or 8 massage parlors. They all got raided in '79 or '80 on the same day and too many happy endings were going on, so they closed them down. If you remember Rita's pizza next to the 711 on lee hyw just up from Roslyn, which was there from the early seventies till just about 2000, the landlord kicked them out because for over 25 years they were running a brothel in the basement for illegal immigrants. I was hired to renovate the place and the basement was nothing but matresses and flimsy walls. The pizza place upstairs was a hangout when we were in high school. Never real busy. Always wondered how they stayed in business. If we only knew what was going on down stairs. And for over 25 years they never got caught. The landlord saw a door around the back leading down stairs one day and discovered it and kicked them out. He could have possibly lost the building under Rico. You just never know what goes on right next door. Poor proud Arlingtonians. They wouldn't believe what was going on back in the not too distant past. My dad lived in the county back in the forties and it had some even rougher places then. Roslyn of coursea and Crystal city. Shirlington was new and mostly government workers. Very blue collar. But the average citizen was much more down to earth, would always help a neighbor, and knew how to tend to their own business as it were. Less money, more relaxed. Lots of Appalachian people who worked hard, friendly as the day is long and bothered nobody. It had it's appeal. you could afford a house on an average salary. Can't say that now for sure.

Posted by: Connker ()
Date: October 24, 2020 08:46AM

I guess they are repairing broken-down record players, TVs or radios. I shall take a look there, somehow, because I like such kind of spots. Maybe, I'm a bit old fashioned, but I'm a huge fan of turntables, thus I prefer enjoying the old songs by classical means. Obviously, they are quite expensive, but, I'm thinking about buying one. Can someone of you write me in private about victrola record player review ? I'll be grateful to you, because I don't want to waste my money on an completely non functional model.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2020 01:30PM by Connker.

Posted by: Hoovyendy ()
Date: October 28, 2020 12:11PM

Connker Wrote:
I guess they are repairing broken-down record players, TVs or radios. I shall take a look there,somehow, because I like such kind of spots. Maybe, I'm a bit old fashioned, but I'm a huge fan of turntables, thus I prefer enjoying the old songs by classical means. Obviously, they are quite expensive, but, I'm thinking about buying one. Can someone of you write me in private about victrola record player review ? I'll be grateful to you, because I don't want to waste my money on an completely non functional model.

I'm also fond of vintage stuff. Let's talk in PM to exchange thoughts about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2020 01:41PM by Hoovyendy.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.