HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
FCPS: Celebrating Diversity by Eliminating It
Posted by: vanilla ()
Date: June 05, 2016 08:49PM

So, does anyone have any idea just what FCPS Superintendent Garza is attempting to accomplish be outlawing most High School graduation cords? If your child happens to belong to an organization other than a recognized Honor Society, no cords for them. Acknowledgement of students’ efforts in FBLA, DECA, other school related endeavors as well community organizations such as the Boy and Girl Scouts will not be possible. This implied distinction that only superb efforts within the classroom are worth being recognized by fellow students, faculty and the families in attendance marginalizes the purposes of the entire educational process.
Support the efforts of the members of the FCPS Class of 2016 to have this Orwellian imposed situation rectified. Sign the Change.org petition at:

https://www.change.org/p/fairfax-county-public-schools-fcps-allow-students-to-wear-graduation-regalia-awarded-by-national-clubs-organizations

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS: Celebrating Diversity by Eliminating It
Posted by: Enough ()
Date: June 05, 2016 09:00PM

Shut up and do something with your life. This is so worthless. Yes let kids think that a cord is important in life or whatever crap liberal agenda you're pushing. Useless waste of everything

Posted by: Vanilla ()
Date: June 05, 2016 09:19PM

I am not a liberal I'd line my conservative credentials up against yours any day. You have completely missed the end state of the liberal agenda. Do you know what recognizing every bit of diversity eventually leads too? It leads to nothing. Use whichever bathroom fits the gender identity you woke up with this morning. Don’t worry about working hard enough to earn enough money to purchase food or housing. The liberal agenda will just provide it for you. Don’t worry about figuring out some way to pay for your own education. We’ll make it free. Don’t feel like keeping a job for the sake of funding your own healthcare, go ahead and quit. Someone else will fund it for you.

Posted by: godonald ()
Date: June 05, 2016 09:50PM

You libatards are fucking up everything.
Attachments:
2F32AFEF00000578-3352306-image-a-1_1449651136515.jpeg

Posted by: Unbelievable ()
Date: June 05, 2016 11:30PM

Vanilla....you said it yourself: ".....efforts within the classroom...." That's what a high school graduation is all about. Community programs like scouting may be recognized by the community, if at all. Children need not be "recognized" for every activity in which they participate. As an example, that's like getting back to the giving of ribbons, medals, etc. to every child whether they are on a winning team or not. As far as having cords for every activity a student participates in during high school, that would look pretty ridiculous as they walked into a graduation ceremony considering some students choose to pad their resumes by signing up for every little club that comes along. Can you imagine how silly they would look with bunches of cords hanging off of their gowns, cords which maybe will just be thrown into a cardboard box after they hang off a mirror for a couple of weeks? Another thing to think about: Who will decide which activities merit the wearing of a cord? Just think of the controversy over that....I'm sure some "caring citizen" would get in touch with the Superintendent about that also, Here's an idea, why not focus on something that might be a little more important to your child, who I assume was denied a certain type of cord to wear for graduation, like making sure he or she is prepared for college by not thinking the sky is falling if they might not be given everything on a silver platter. As an Ivy League professor recently wrote in his book on the general state of students being admitted to university these days, some of them can't even tie their own shoelaces...what are parents doing to these children?
admitted to universities these days,

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: June 06, 2016 12:00AM

That already seems to be the policy for at least some high schools.

Posted by: Ughh ()
Date: June 06, 2016 12:17AM

We are being herded like cattle.

Posted by: anon67 ()
Date: June 06, 2016 08:30AM

Where is the statement regarding graduation regalia by Garza?

Posted by: Vanillia ()
Date: June 06, 2016 10:42PM

Bump

Posted by: TBT ()
Date: June 07, 2016 05:14AM

The non-official cord ban is ridiculous and I have a feeling that it will cause consternation as the non-approved ones will probably be confiscated before graduates march in. You now can wear just the NHS cord (actually more like a mini-hood) and cords from nationally recognized honor societies, not any local ones - and there are few of those. Quill and Scroll, the international journalism honor society is one such group. Colorful cords have proliferated in recent years. There are cords for DECA, Music, Theater, Yearbook, Newspaper, and mini hoods for summa, magna and cum laude at a few schools. Yes, the kids might look over-swagged, but graduation is their big day and they look joyful in their regalia. This emphasis to look the same is silly. I do not think it came from the superintendent, however.

Posted by: Looking at Leaves ()
Date: June 07, 2016 06:45AM

A neighbor who works at Gatehouse told me that this was all in some sort of Infogram "guidance" from the Superintendent to Principals a couple of months ago, and there was an update on June 1-2. I've requested a copy but it isn't for the public. Is there any way to do a FOIA request!?

Date: June 09, 2016 05:03AM

I checked and yes, the directive was from the superintendent to the principals and she does want all students to look the same at graduation ceremonies. Not sure if this is how it is done in Texas but seems like micromanaging overreach.

Posted by: You asked for it ()
Date: June 09, 2016 09:18AM

Ughh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We are being herded like cattle.

It's a public service. Many of you are dumber than cattle and need the help to get where you're going.

Posted by: What Freedom? ()
Date: June 10, 2016 12:08AM

Last year all cord were banned at Lake Braddock until one student decided to petition to get the principal to alter course. The student was successful.

Now consider this: Fascism by definition is "a way of organizing a society in which a government ruled by a dictator controls the lives of the people and in which people are not allowed to disagree with the government"

So for you bleeding heart liberals think about the school principal or superintendent ruling that cords cannot be worn because what they are really saying is we don't want some other kid to feel bad because they didn't get to wear something extra because the other kid decided to do something more. And to the comment I read that the kids pad their resumes - sure let them! They may have joined as many clubs as they could, but at least they had ambition to do so!!! And so what if they have 5 or 6 or more!!! Why don't they deserve to wear something that shows they went above and beyond!

I say that if they don't allow cords to be worn, such as NHS or say an Eagle Scout, because they achieved something greater and the other kid feels left out or sub-par, then why should I listen to ONE kid who is named the valedictorian speak because someone selected that person as the most achieving person and "deserves" to get 5 minutes of fame in front of their entire class!

I may not have been the most stellar student in high school and I didn't feel left out or any less of a person - I owned up to it, went to college and am successful at life! For those over-achievers - well, many aren't doing so great now!

Date: June 10, 2016 05:15AM

I agree with What Freedom said, but want to point out that FCPS got rid of valedictorians some time ago along with class rank. They have honor graduates instead - 4.0 or above, and any of those can compete to give a speech. 20 years ago there were never more than 15-20 4.0 grads in a class of 600. Now there are over 100 due to weighting and grade inflation.This is the real travesty!

Posted by: DON'TListen2YourLawyer ()
Date: June 10, 2016 07:52AM

What Freedom? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Last year all cord were banned at Lake Braddock
> until one student decided to petition to get the
> principal to alter course. The student was
> successful.
>
> Now consider this: Fascism by definition is "a way
> of organizing a society in which a government
> ruled by a dictator controls the lives of the
> people and in which people are not allowed to
> disagree with the government"
>
> So for you bleeding heart liberals think about the
> school principal or superintendent ruling that
> cords cannot be worn because what they are really
> saying is we don't want some other kid to feel bad
> because they didn't get to wear something extra
> because the other kid decided to do something
> more. And to the comment I read that the kids pad
> their resumes - sure let them! They may have
> joined as many clubs as they could, but at least
> they had ambition to do so!!! And so what if they
> have 5 or 6 or more!!! Why don't they deserve to
> wear something that shows they went above and
> beyond!
>
> I say that if they don't allow cords to be worn,
> such as NHS or say an Eagle Scout, because they
> achieved something greater and the other kid feels
> left out or sub-par, then why should I listen to
> ONE kid who is named the valedictorian speak
> because someone selected that person as the most
> achieving person and "deserves" to get 5 minutes
> of fame in front of their entire class!
>
> I may not have been the most stellar student in
> high school and I didn't feel left out or any less
> of a person - I owned up to it, went to college
> and am successful at life! For those
> over-achievers - well, many aren't doing so great
> now!

Fascism. Now that is scary.

No cords for "outside" achievements sounds more like lawyer interference to me. Lawyers, lawyers, lawyers. Always writing circles around our lives. Strangling our freedom and changing our culture one stink'n clause at a time.

Posted by: What Freedom? ()
Date: June 10, 2016 01:42PM

It seems our country is heading in that direction... Is it not? Maybe we are heading toward an Authoritarian establishment first?? Defined: expecting or requiring people to obey rules or laws : not allowing personal freedom

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.