HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Where in fairfax county, where do they sell puppies
Posted by: dontstopgetitit ()
Date: August 01, 2009 08:13PM

I am looking to get a puppy for under $300, where in fairfax county do they sell them, no sketchy places, im talkin about petco etc etc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where in fairfax county, where do they sell puppies
Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: August 01, 2009 08:24PM

The way your query is formed makes me wonder about your qualifications in taking care of another living thing.

I will, however, thank god you're not asking where to buy pit bulls.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Posted by: Rebecca ()
Date: August 01, 2009 08:39PM

Most Petcos and Petsmarts have rescue pet adoption on Saturdays and Sundays. Although when we got our dog a few months ago, the adoption fee was $325. That included neutering, vet visit, shots, heartworm test, etc. If you want cheaper, check the Pet section on Craigs list.

Don't get a pet if you aren't going to give it attention and vet care. Its not cheap. Heartworm pills are a must and they are approximately $95 for 6 months supply. And remember, housetraining a puppy takes patience and lots of Natures Miracle spray.

Posted by: Recycle Your Pet ()
Date: August 01, 2009 09:07PM

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: August 01, 2009 09:33PM

Those rescue places will come to your house and evaluate you and your prospective home. Unless you're completely incapable of maintaining a decent house/home, you'll get the animal. They should do the same thing to people who want to have kids. It's just a shame that there is more effort into evaluating prospective pet ownership than into prospective parenthood.

Posted by: dontstopgetitit ()
Date: August 01, 2009 10:32PM

I wouldn't go thru craigslist to find a pet dog. I have had 2 dogs which stretches accross a majority of my life so i am fully capable plus im paid and got a big backyard and condo

Posted by: kl ()
Date: August 02, 2009 01:19AM

PLease please please go to your local shelters. Puppy mills sell puppy's that carry diseases and a lot of the time their parents are treating cruelly. Shelters have plenty of puppies! I got a purebred 8 week old for $50. And if you will be a proper pet owner than a background check will not be an issue!
Please google some of your local shelters and help save a life!!!

Posted by: Thurston Moore ()
Date: August 02, 2009 03:28AM

Either go to the "dog pound", your local shelter, or if you have a particular breed in mind, find a breeder that shows dogs for a living.

Anyone else is a puppy mill.

There are legitimate breeders, and then there's the puppy mills. Don't ever buy from a puppy mill.

Do a google search for "Dog Breed Selection" or something, and you'll find all kinds of guides that help you select the proper breed for your lifestyle, expectations, what type of home you live in (condo, townhouse, home with small, medium, large yard, hypoallergenic or not, etc.)

The same sites will explain how to know if you are buying from a mill or a legit breeder.

Or, just go to the pound and look at all the dogs there. One is bound to like you and will try to convince you to take him home. All dogs are loyal and faithful. If you treat them right and feed them, they're going to love you forever.

However, I have to say that getting a puppy at 10 - 12 weeks of age and doing the proper training in a class with other puppies makes for an amazing dog that will understand you and will know exactly how to behave in a house full of humans. IF you are consistent and unwavering in your gentle operant conditioning training.

Posted by: Alias ()
Date: August 02, 2009 03:43AM

m

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2012 08:49PM by Alias.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: August 02, 2009 07:12AM

Warhawk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those rescue places will come to your house and
> evaluate you and your prospective home. Unless
> you're completely incapable of maintaining a
> decent house/home, you'll get the animal. They
> should do the same thing to people who want to
> have kids. It's just a shame that there is more
> effort into evaluating prospective pet ownership
> than into prospective parenthood.

+32

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Interceptor ()
Date: August 02, 2009 02:08PM

Rebecca Wrote:

>
> Don't get a pet if you aren't going to give it
> attention and vet care. Its not cheap. Heartworm
> pills are a must and they are approximately $95
> for 6 months supply. And remember, housetraining
> a puppy takes patience and lots of Natures Miracle
> spray.

6 months is $95? Where do you get your heartworm preventative because you are being ripped off.

Posted by: Omar ()
Date: August 02, 2009 03:44PM

Sorry going cheap on a puppy is just asking for health problems. First go online and conduct some research and find out which breed works best for you! Then go to that breeds breed club and get a breeder referral.

And sorry no mix breeds are not healthier than purebreds. Lets stop this discussion before its starts. Its not true and is spread by the terrorist from PETA and the HSUS. A purebred dog will a caring breeder will be healthier than a mix and more predictable. Now there are certain breeds like bulldogs, pugs, labs and goldies that have big time health issues from overbreeding and breeding for conformation rather than health.

A rescue group maybe able to help check out you local Petco and Petsmart for adoption hours. Do not buy a pup at a pet store they are from puppy mills and all have health issues.

Research your breed and know what you are getting into. that cute little pup can grow into a 150lb Kommondor that will rule your house. And no just because you watch Cesar Milan doesn't mean you can train a dog even the dumber breeds.

And unless you have a clue do not get an intelligent dog. You want a biddable dog
ie a dog that listens ie a lab or goldie or something that really doesn't think.
Avoid the herding breeds they are way too smart for you.

Finally check your homeowners insurance many companies will cancel you if you have a pitbull.

Omar

Posted by: Rebecca ()
Date: August 02, 2009 04:17PM

You're right, Interceptor....I actually paid that amount for Frontline, not Interceptor. That's what my vet charges. I just checked 1-800-Petmeds and I could save by ordering there. Petmeds charges 83.95 for Interceptor for my size dog. Nevertheless, its still an expense if you own a dog. Obviously, it pays to shop around.

Posted by: ffxstoner ()
Date: August 02, 2009 11:21PM

Get a german shepard the best dogs. I have a 3 year old named misty ilu her. They are smart dogs and easy to train a bit aggressive to other dogs at least mine..

Posted by: duh_ ()
Date: August 02, 2009 11:35PM

dontstopgetitit Wrote:
> I am looking to get a puppy for under $300, where
> in fairfax county do they sell them, no sketchy
> places, im talkin about petco etc etc

You just answered your own question. Go to petco, or the county shelter off of Wes Ox road.

Date: August 03, 2009 12:23AM

lostdogrescue.com

got our husky from them. they do adoption event things at petcos and the like sometimes. great organization. there is no reason to buy a puppy when there is such an abundance of animals that need homes.

Date: August 03, 2009 12:26AM

and to omar.......yes a healthy purebred with clean blood lines has a great chance of being healthy. unfortunately the amount of inbreeding done with purebred lines ups the chances for these animals to have health problems later in life. its the inbreeding that causes many of these so actually having a mixed breed dog does get rid of this factor.

Date: August 03, 2009 12:39AM

un-fairfax aboveground Wrote:
> and to omar.......yes a healthy purebred with
> clean blood lines has a great chance of being
> healthy. unfortunately the amount of inbreeding
> done with purebred lines ups the chances for these
> animals to have health problems later in life. its
> the inbreeding that causes many of these so
> actually having a mixed breed dog does get rid of
> this factor.

There is inbreeding, and there is careful breeding within a breed.

Obviously, the word breed implies that they keep the lines close when mating a male to a bitch, but a responsible breeder is extremely careful, even consulting with veterinarians and geneticists when selecting male and female lines for breeding purposes.

Good breeders know their dogs' history and health problems, and they select out for the ones that have things like hip displaysia, or heart murmurs, or whatever other genetic health problems.

Mixed breed dogs are more likely to be full of potential time bombs than the responsibly bred pure breds.

The designer cockapoos and labradoodles and whatever else the trendy folks are buying these days are new "inventions", and you cannot expect a breeder to know what to look for when breeding these new concoctions, they are going to miss genetic defects and improper gene mixing because these are new mixings of genes that nobody can know how they will turn out. Even the old, basic, "mutt" is a roullete table's odds of being healthy.

Pure bred dogs are known genetic quantities.

I know hte HSUS likes to poop all over pure breds because they think that all pure bred dogs come from mills, but there are so many responsible breeders who spend hours upon hours researching and selecting the right male to inseminate just the right bitch, The legitimate breeders are actually helping the entire species, the folks that let a pit bull fuck a chihauha are the irresponsible ones.

Date: August 03, 2009 01:19AM

i agree, if you find a responsible trustworthy breeder that knows what hes doing your pure bred dog will most likely be healthy.

Date: August 03, 2009 01:31AM

un-fairfax aboveground Wrote:
> i agree, if you find a responsible trustworthy
> breeder that knows what hes doing your pure bred
> dog will most likely be healthy.

I've bought 7 dogs from the same breeder, and all of them have been absolutely healthy, well socialized and trainable, and the most endearing and lovable dogs I've ever known.

Some have passed on, and none has ever had a serious medical problem.

In fact, by breed life expectancy, they've all lived well beyond the age they are expected to die.

I had a beagle that lived to be 19. That girl was so fucking amazing. She never should have lived to be that old, but she kept on going, she even put some puppies in their place when she was 17, and they respected her until she finally passed in her sleep at 19.

Posted by: Omar ()
Date: August 03, 2009 01:52PM

No a mixed breed dog doesn't get rid of health problems. Sorry you have a dam and a sire with the gene for hip problems. The dogs are different breeds puppies will probably have hip problems. Purebred breeder with the same sire will have had the hips x ray'd etc and would not use the dog in their breeding program. You have a sire and dam of different breeds mate and get more health problems rather than less.
Purebred sire and dam you know if there are any issues. Don't believe the AR propaganda!!!

GSD pup is not the breed for the original poster. One the dog is way too smart for him and this one of the pure breeds with health problems because of its sloping top line. And for the idiot with a GSD pup if you properly socialized the pup it would not have aggression problems with other dogs. This is entirely your fault and not the pup's or the breeds moron! it idiots like you who shouldn't own dogs!

Omar

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: August 03, 2009 01:53PM

The OP sounds like they used Babel Fish to compose the message. Kinda strange sentence structure.

Posted by: froo ()
Date: March 13, 2012 08:31AM

Ypu're an asshole. I just lost my dog a month agp and I am looking to rescue one. Just because someone wants a pup and doesn't want to pay alot doesn't make them a bad person. By the way my last dog was free and was 10 years old...I took her before she had to go to a shelter and be put down...dick...she was free I gave her a good home rather than see her be put down...now does it make me bad I didn't pay for her? You're an ass wipe.

Posted by: Rescues Suck ()
Date: March 13, 2012 08:48AM

Do not buy from a rescue league. The few hundred dollars you save is not worth the aggravation of the invasive interviews, home visits, restrictive contract rules, threats that the rescue can take back the dog if they don't like how you are keeping it.

Go an hour or so out of Fairfax to a so-called kill shelter. They will be happy to give you a puppy, free. No strings attached.

Posted by: Olde Farte ()
Date: March 14, 2012 10:13AM

Posted by: kyle harlan ()
Date: November 26, 2013 08:13AM

I think you checked this link if you want to buy a dog breeds...
http://www.glamourdoodlesfl.com

Posted by: Dialing for dog drugs ()
Date: November 26, 2013 09:03AM

Rebecca Wrote:
> You're right, Interceptor....I actually paid that
> amount for Frontline, not Interceptor. That's
> what my vet charges. I just checked 1-800-Petmeds
> and I could save by ordering there. Petmeds
> charges 83.95 for Interceptor for my size dog.
> Nevertheless, its still an expense if you own a
> dog. Obviously, it pays to shop around.

what's the phone number for 1-800-Petmeds?

Posted by: finding puppies ()
Date: November 26, 2013 10:47AM

It's a shame that Craigslist doesn't allow people to post puppies for sale.

They get around it by using the old re-homing fee line and will advertise one pup at a time. Kinda silly but we got a mixed lab/golden there and the dog is awesome. Only $150.

Go visit the people and the dog parents and let your instinct guide you. Most people are honest.

Posted by: Holiday Season ()
Date: November 26, 2013 11:22AM

It is difficult to find young tender puppies this time of the year. With the many different cultures living here in the D.C.area, it has put a strain on the supply. I have found it easier to buy flash frozen / packed varieties off season.

Posted by: Holiday Season ()
Date: November 26, 2013 11:22AM

It is difficult to find young tender puppies this time of the year. With the many different cultures living here in the D.C.area, it has put a strain on the supply. I have found it easier to buy flash frozen / packed varieties off season.

Posted by: Holiday Puppies ()
Date: November 26, 2013 12:37PM

Where can I find the really popular puppy breeds like labradoodles or pitpugs?

My long time bf is coming over for the holidays with his parents and I thought a pair of adorable puppies would help improve my standing with them. I probably won't keep the puppies that long, just until they are older and lose their charm.

Thanks

Posted by: Nicdoot ()
Date: November 26, 2013 04:08PM

We found out Manx cats on petfinder.com and they were shelter cats.

Purebreds seem to have health issues plus cost a lot when there are so many pets needing homes in local shelters.

Posted by: Puppies for sale ()
Date: November 29, 2013 05:18PM

I hear Petland in Fairfax city sells dogs.

I
Posted by: Joi ()
Date: January 14, 2014 12:09PM

Im selling $350 3months old puppy

Posted by: Nicdoot ()
Date: January 14, 2014 04:40PM

Try petfinder.com with your zip code it will show shelters that have what you want.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: January 14, 2014 04:45PM

Rescues Suck Wrote:
> Do not buy from a rescue league. The few hundred
> dollars you save is not worth the aggravation of
> the invasive interviews, home visits, restrictive
> contract rules, threats that the rescue can take
> back the dog if they don't like how you are
> keeping it.
>
> Go an hour or so out of Fairfax to a so-called
> kill shelter. They will be happy to give you a
> puppy, free. No strings attached.

Rescue organizations have little interest in actually taking the animal back. Their goal is after having taken an animal away from a bad home environment, they don't want to stick it back in another one. A more serious concern is buying from a breeder that has similar conditions. Quite often they may be motivated by commercial concerns that have little to do with the dog's welfare or happiness.

Posted by: Me So Hungry ()
Date: January 22, 2014 04:34PM

Annandale,Va,Did you say eat,or buy a puppy?

Posted by: NOT a serial killer ()
Date: January 22, 2014 04:37PM

I sell puppies out of my basement.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.