HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Neighborhoods in Herndon
Posted by: KristaD ()
Date: July 29, 2009 01:47PM

Would you buy a place in Herndon? What are the "good" areas? Or is this town going to turn into another Annandale if it hasn't already.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Neighborhoods in Herndon
Posted by: § ()
Date: July 29, 2009 01:51PM

Oak Hill is a nice place that still uses the Herndon mailing address.

Other than that, I'd check out the homes around the new VW HQ / Harris Teeter.

Posted by: RestonLass ()
Date: July 29, 2009 02:01PM

If you want to buy in Herndon, first select a few neighborhoods of interest, and then drive through and observe in the evening (after 6) and on the weekends.

You will learn more about a community this way than any other way. Realtors are legally bound to "remain vague" when discussing neighborhoods, so you can't rely on them, even a buyer broker.

Herndon still has a high concentration of undocumented immigrants, living throughout the town. Most however live in old Herndon with State street names, on Parcher (behind Giant) and along Elden Street. Even with 287(g) and E-Verify (for town jobs) this area has not seen a reduction in undocumented immigrants, and the number of new births continues to rise - unlike Prince William County.

Herndon used to be a lovely town, but it has changed quite a bit during the past 10 years. For this reason, Herndon housing is still a buyers market with several foreclosures and short sales to choose from.

Also check Reston, right next door ... if you don't mind homeowners associations.

Posted by: ffxstoner ()
Date: July 29, 2009 02:05PM

a town is the best. Broyhill crest my hood you can leave your car unlocked doors unlocked and nobody will do anything. You can leave your bong out in public for days nobody will steal it.

Date: July 29, 2009 02:31PM

I was looking at condos over at Worldgate. I'm going to check the ones out on the other side of the toll road near the new Harris Teeters tomorrow. Not sure if that's technically Herndon though.

Posted by: local ()
Date: July 29, 2009 02:34PM

I work on worldgate. Alot of gov and it positions over here. I think the condos across the street are low 300's. i would buy in herndon but only particular areas. across from the clocktower center is a nice neighborhood one of my friends lives in those townhouses.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: July 29, 2009 02:39PM

My 2cents.. just make sure you are outside of the Town of Herndon. There are still a lot of places that have Herndon mailing addresses that are not inside the town limits. That way you avoid the taxes/fees that they charge their residents.

Posted by: § ()
Date: July 29, 2009 02:42PM

I like some of the old houses along Elden in Old Town Herndon.

They seem like they have some character.

Posted by: RestonLass ()
Date: July 29, 2009 04:01PM

KristaD Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was looking at condos over at Worldgate. I'm
> going to check the ones out on the other side of
> the toll road near the new Harris Teeters
> tomorrow. Not sure if that's technically Herndon
> though.

I would recommend you "drive through and observe" the condos at Worldgate. The condos near Harris Teeter are a little more upscale, but I would contact someone on the Board or management firm to find out the percentage of rentals before buying - 15% should give you pause for concern: 20% or more is a red flag. The same applies to Town Home Communities

The Reston/Herndon area is glutted with condos. If you find out after the fact that you made a mistake, you will have to suck it up and adapt.

Because there is such a glut, you might want to consider renting. That will give you a chance to assess the neighborhoods without committing for 30 years.

Added: Unless the condo is a gold-gilt multi level (like Woodwinds in Reston), there is no way I would pay $300K. You can buy a nice town house for that price, or a single family foreclosure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2009 04:04PM by RestonLass.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: July 29, 2009 04:49PM

I think the gov't should buy Herndon and use it for a bombing range.

Posted by: Clobbersaurus ()
Date: July 29, 2009 05:52PM

496 Wrote:
> I think the gov't should buy Herndon and use it
> for a bombing range.

I'm all for giving Herndon to Loudon and then errecting 15 foot razor wire fences separating FFX from it.

Posted by: Lippy ()
Date: July 29, 2009 10:42PM

I would stay away from Oakhill in Herndon, it's way over priced and next to all the hispanics and low income people. Give it six months and it will be little Mexico.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: July 30, 2009 12:31AM

Some nicer sections of Herndon are near the High School (Behind, Across from, and down Dranesville Rd towards Rte 7.), and some areas on Sunrise Valley Drive. Other than that, it's Vato-Ville. Reston is a better bet in general.

Date: August 03, 2009 11:33AM

Oak Hill wanted to get away from the Herndon name. Oak Hill is an official address according to the USPS even though it's the same zipcode as Herndon (20171).

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: August 04, 2009 03:51AM

KristaD Wrote:
> Oak Hill wanted to get away from the Herndon name.
> Oak Hill is an official address according to the
> USPS even though it's the same zipcode as Herndon
> (20171).

I have a street in my same neighborhood which is in Postal Herndon, (I'm Reston), but even then their street sucks. They don't even have sidewalks, just gravel shoulders and water drainage ditches (We actually have storm drains and sidewalks). All in the same neighborhood though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2009 03:52AM by ThePackLeader.

Posted by: VEIK ()
Date: August 04, 2009 10:09AM

Look into 20170

Drainsville Road around and beyond Herndon High.

Stay away from Herndon Parkway and areas around golf course.

Posted by: Cheryl Taylor ()
Date: March 01, 2014 09:37PM

Run far Run Fast... Worst office staff ever...

Posted by: Refugee ()
Date: March 01, 2014 10:26PM

I grew up on Grant Street in what used to be called Barker Hill (though we never had a sign). My folks bought the place brand new and it was a great neighborhood to grow up in. Sure the cemetery was right behind us but we couldn't see it (at the time) and we actually used to all go back there on 4th of July to watch the fireworks coming from Herndon High. We all would play out in the street til dark and ride our bikes to the Herndon Pool on Monroe St every day in the summer. We would walk down to Young's Dairy Farm and see the horses. We had block parties and it was like the friggin Wonder Years for a long time. Then when I was in high school though the parkway literally went through the neighborhood and it changed dramatically. People put their houses up for sale left and right (including my folks) and started moving away and everything was different. The second wave of people moving in were way lower class and didn't care about the neighborhood at all. The built sub-par houses at the end of the cul de sac and the streets got way too crowded. Last time I drove down that way I saw what used to be a nice house littered with cars and Mexicans. My friends mom who still lives on Barker Hill Road says that they don't know hardly any of their neighbors now and there has been a lot of crime (car breaks ins etc) they had to put an alarm system on their house and bars on the basement windows due to burglary's in the neighborhood. We hardly ever used to lock our front doors!

It's so sad what's happened to Herndon. 25 years ago it was a great place to raise a family. That's all gone now.

Posted by: Huddrin Obama- ()
Date: March 02, 2014 08:35AM

Liberalism destroys everything.

Posted by: wrong faggot is wrong again ()
Date: March 02, 2014 01:44PM

Huddrin Obama- Wrote:
> Liberalism destroys everything.

nope. conservative policies destroy everything, unless you are among the privileged filthy rich who benefit from said policies. every been to the deep south? yeah, I didn't think so you faggot. you sure are a dumb faggot blinded by the hate. you fail to see that those conservatives in power use your own hate against you. dumb ass.

Posted by: TypicalLiberaleHate ()
Date: March 02, 2014 09:06PM

wrong faggot is wrong again Wrote:
> Huddrin Obama- Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Liberalism destroys everything.
>
>
> nope. conservative policies destroy everything,
> unless you are among the privileged filthy rich
> who benefit from said policies. every been to the
> deep south? yeah, I didn't think so you faggot.
> you sure are a dumb faggot blinded by the hate.
> you fail to see that those conservatives in power
> use your own hate against you. dumb ass.

Dude, you have an anger issue. But like most liberals, your hate and self-loathing is what defines you.

Posted by: duuuuude ()
Date: March 03, 2014 02:59PM

TypicalLiberaleHate Wrote:
> wrong faggot is wrong again Wrote:
> -----
> > Huddrin Obama- Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Liberalism destroys everything.
> >
> >
> > nope. conservative policies destroy everything,
> > unless you are among the privileged filthy rich
> > who benefit from said policies. every been to
> the
> > deep south? yeah, I didn't think so you faggot.
> > you sure are a dumb faggot blinded by the hate.
> > you fail to see that those conservatives in
> power
> > use your own hate against you. dumb ass.
>
> Dude, you have an anger issue. But like most
> liberals, your hate and self-loathing is what
> defines you.

nope. just calls em like i sees em. however, you have perfectly described that frequent poster who goes by the unregistered username "Hussein Obama-". now that little faggot is the one with issues.

Posted by: Jefe ()
Date: March 03, 2014 09:21PM

I bought in Herndon 3 years ago, my value is rising to a good profit level, but the damn blacks are making the place feel like Anacostia. They just don't have any respect for the community property, just today their shitbag, halfbreed offspring were out looking to clear snow while dropping their fucking trash at every door.

Posted by: Buyer ()
Date: March 10, 2014 05:33PM

Cheryl Taylor Wrote:
> Run far Run Fast... Worst office staff ever...

Are you talking about Worldgate or the newer places over by Harris Teeter. I think it's called Woodland Park. ???? I'm looking for condos in the area.

Posted by: Too Damn High ()
Date: March 10, 2014 05:39PM

Buyer Wrote:
> Cheryl Taylor Wrote:
> -----
> > Run far Run Fast... Worst office staff ever...
>
>
> Are you talking about Worldgate or the newer
> places over by Harris Teeter. I think it's called
> Woodland Park. ???? I'm looking for condos in the
> area.

Not a bad place, I'm sure the prices are way too fucking high for a condo.

Posted by: Garlick ()
Date: August 31, 2016 03:15PM

I live there now and completely disagree with the bashing of Barker Hill and Herndon. Yeah there are a few crappy houses here and there (no HOA) and a few not so nice neighborhoods. Seriously you find that all over NOVA.

Posted by: iLester. ()
Date: August 31, 2016 04:34PM

KristaD Wrote:
> I was looking at condos over at Worldgate. I'm
> going to check the ones out on the other side of
> the toll road near the new Harris Teeters
> tomorrow. Not sure if that's technically Herndon
> though.

That's Woodland Park or Woodland Park Crossing. There are also apartments and rental townhouses across Sunrise Valley in the gated apartment complex. Most of the people seem to Pak and Indo.

There are a lot of townhouses behind that area as you go South on Monroe. Townhouses between Centreville Rd and Monroe. And detached homes on the Oak Hill side.

Posted by: Spyvey ()
Date: August 31, 2016 06:44PM

It doesn't matter where you live. OBAMA will place refugees living for free in your neighborhood along with the inner city freeloaders right next door.

Posted by: damn right ()
Date: August 31, 2016 11:28PM

Spyvey Wrote:
> It doesn't matter where you live. OBAMA will
> place refugees living for free in your
> neighborhood along with the inner city
> freeloaders right next door.

Look at the people that bought in Fairfax Corners area. Now the are putting in section 8 housing right across from the shopping center. The fountain area where all the soccer moms take their kids to play in the summer, while they shop in upscale stores, is going to be overrun by the disease spreading trash offspring from the Sharon Bulova Housing Community. I guarantee that thriving, tax producing shopping center will not be the same within a year of the opening of that housing project.

Posted by: JBone ()
Date: August 31, 2016 11:43PM

A great man said.
God Bless Our Little Town,
N All That ,Who Fill It With Love.
Bunkey D.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.