HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
How do you know if it's pollen or just a cold?
Posted by: Aaaaaaa Chooooooo ()
Date: April 19, 2016 12:15PM

For the last 3 days I have been miserable. Stopped up sinuses, headache, sneezing, coughing and generally feeling like shit. I know the pollen count is sky high right now but I have never been bothered by pollen until the last couple years (Im 54). Does hay fever come on with advancing age? I always thought you had hay fever from birth?

I guess I need to get tested? I can't keep eating Benadryl like tic tacs. I've been in a fog for 3 days taking that stuff.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do you know if it's pollen or just a cold?
Posted by: L4mPx ()
Date: April 19, 2016 01:01PM

I'm 48. I did not start feeling the effects of allergies until about ten years ago.

Some of your symptoms might be from the Benadryl rather than your allergies. If you don't want to see a doctor, then give some of the newer OTC antihistamines a try. The loratadine works all right for me, and it's available for dirt cheap at Costco.

Here's a list of what's now available OTC:

http://reference.medscape.com/drugs/antihistamines-2nd-generation

Posted by: allergies man ()
Date: April 19, 2016 01:06PM

Get some Flonase, it works great.

Posted by: 9TeLY ()
Date: April 19, 2016 02:00PM

It is most likely pollen. I am also 49 and it is only in the last 5 years I have had any significant spring allergies. I am hoping that my body might cycle into less sensitivity at some point in the future.

That being said I have been pretty miserable that last 2 weeks with sinus congestion, pressure and lots of pain. Deciding how best to treat this situation not easy. Right now I am just taking Motrin/Ibuprofen for pain, Claritin as an antihistamine. I am not using any decongestants or nasal steroids. Maybe I should but I am afraid to use that stuff. I am using a hypotonic nasal rinse twice per day. Don’t know if it helps at all but it feels good.. Damn… I used to love spring…

Posted by: Rhinoplasty ()
Date: April 19, 2016 02:10PM

Snot test:

Green: you have a cold.

Clear: you have allergies.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.