HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
why has Micro Center survived when all other computer retailers have failed?
Posted by: bill gates ()
Date: March 12, 2016 09:38AM

What is different about Micro Center? CompUSA, Computer City, others... bit the dust.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: why has Micro Center survived when all other computer retailers have failed?
Posted by: NE7tm ()
Date: March 12, 2016 09:40AM

If you want to see a depressing computer store visit The Computer Place in Gaithersburg.

Re: why has Micro Center survived when all other computer retailers have failed?
Posted by: Toshiba guy ()
Date: March 12, 2016 09:53AM

I buy all my computer stuff at micro center and I love the place except that most of the employees are dune coons.

Posted by: I love microcenter ()
Date: March 12, 2016 02:49PM

I love microcenter. I plan a build online for awhile reading all the articles on the best components for the money then I go pick them up at MC. If I have any problems I just return them. No mail involved. They have good deals on MB's and processors too. The sales people in the computer parts area know pc builds too so the can flag you if your build spec is bogus or if there is stuff on sale you could use that is better than your build.

You still get the brainless night of the living dead pc customers taking the sales persons' time in the pre-built area but the prices are good on pre-built stuff too. Finally there are cool kits you can get for the kids to build all kinds of electronic stuff.

Posted by: BillyBob ()
Date: March 12, 2016 03:54PM

Great customer support that works! Those guys know their shit! Good luck with the mouth breathers at Best Buy.

­
Posted by: chuckhoffmann ()
Date: March 12, 2016 06:51PM

­

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2016 04:27AM by chuckhoffmann.

Posted by: 1 time user and returner ()
Date: March 12, 2016 06:53PM

Microcenter rox, I can rent everything for free since they are great with returns

Posted by: Fry's Electronics ()
Date: March 12, 2016 07:09PM

chuckhoffmann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My thinking is that they have a selection that is
> both broader and deeper than anything you would
> have found at CompUSA or Computer City, which
> allows them to cater not only to the broad
> consumer market but also computer enthusiasts and
> professionals.

Fry's has always been successful. Circuit City has another restart coming:

New York area retail vets Ronny Shmoel and Albert Liniado are betting that the third time will be a charm for Circuit City.

Shmoel, now working under the name Circuit City Corp., acquired the brand, domain and associated trademarks in October from IT supplier Systemax, which bought them in a bankruptcy auction but abandoned the U.S. retail channel last fall. Once the No. 1 big-box tech chain, Circuit City succumbed to a rapidly changing marketplace in 2008, and misfired in its second incarnation as an online-only sister site to Systemax’s TigerDirect.

This time, what Shmoel and his top lieutenant Liniado have in store for Circuit is an ambitious, multi-tiered game plan that calls for retail outlets, web sales, branded and private-label products, licensed kiosks, mobile shops and franchise opportunities, all under the iconic red-and-white banner. The fun is expected to begin in June when the company opens its first store, most likely in the Dallas market, and relaunches CircuitCity.com.
http://www.twice.com/news/retail/circuit-city-set-return-spring/60261

Posted by: MicroCenterRox ()
Date: March 12, 2016 07:47PM

I buy stuff online whenever I can but somehow ended up spending about $2k at MicroCenter over the last year. Their processor/motherboard prices are better than online and it is easier to get everything else while you're there.

When I go there I get odd flashbacks to '90s pre-internet era CompUSA - back when they operated out of cheap dusty warehouse space and were packed with people on weekends. It has the tinge of social awkwardness from computer geeks of that era. It is hard to put my finger on it even though I was definitely part of that way back then.

Thankfully I fix all my computer stuff. If I had to get work done I would take it to MicroCenter and avoid the likes of BestBuy. That work isn't easy because customers can really suck.

Posted by: Gerrymeandererz ()
Date: March 12, 2016 08:12PM

MicroCenterRox Wrote:
>
> When I go there I get odd flashbacks to '90s
> pre-internet era CompUSA - back when they operated
> out of cheap dusty warehouse space and were packed
> with people on weekends. It has the tinge of
> social awkwardness from computer geeks of that
> era. It is hard to put my finger on it even
> though I was definitely part of that way back
> then.

Ah ... the flashbacks of CompUSA. Standing in line to get a 30-pack of CDs for $.99 cents after a mail-in rebate. CompUSA was exciting for the first few years, then I'd loathe going into the place. Some people would call it CompUselessA - which I fully agree with. I like the Micro Center though. Always a pleasant experience when going there - after I've found a place to park.

Posted by: iLester ()
Date: March 12, 2016 08:22PM

CompUSA was just another BestBuy for the most part. They used to be called Software Etc and sold a lot of different software. It was great until online software distribution became the dominant mode of purchase.

We've also purchased refurbished Dell business systems from MicroCenter and found them to be reliable - knock on wood.

Posted by: causeican ()
Date: March 12, 2016 08:33PM

I love microcenter Wrote:

> You still get the brainless night of the living
> dead pc customers taking the sales persons' time
> in the pre-built area ...

HEY! I resent that.

Posted by: niggar ()
Date: March 12, 2016 09:15PM

computer parts is why

Posted by: Only show in town ()
Date: March 12, 2016 09:47PM

Because we don't have a Fry's.

/thread

Posted by: XXJ9h ()
Date: March 12, 2016 10:45PM

They have probably been in business so long as they cater to computer geeks, and offer a full refund if parts don't work. People who make their own "builds" love this shit. The rest of us would like to walk a golf course or taste spring air are completely unaware of what this thing offers.

Posted by: open box specials ()
Date: March 13, 2016 09:31AM

BillyBob Wrote:
> Great customer support that works! Those guys
> know their shit! Good luck with the mouth
> breathers at Best Buy.

+1000 Best Buy is a joke. The nerds at Micro Center hook me every time with my builds. They always look to pair my specs with sales so that I usually walk out with a better build for a lot less than my spec sheet calculations. Also you can take chances with compatibility and open box specials. Ive done this numerous things like graphics cards. If the hardware doesnt work well I just return it next time Im passing by.

Posted by: 7ScRews ()
Date: March 13, 2016 09:38AM

XXJ9h Wrote:
> They have probably been in business so long as
> they cater to computer geeks, and offer a full
> refund if parts don't work. People who make their
> own "builds" love this shit. The rest of us would
> like to walk a golf course or taste spring air are
> completely unaware of what this thing offers.

...because intelligent people that can put together a 5 piece magic 'puzzle' dont go outside. Get a case with snap-fit drive bays and building a computer is a 7 screw assembly. You dont even need a driver. Golf - what a fag.

Posted by: time distortion field ()
Date: March 13, 2016 09:42AM

If nothing else they are convenient, and one of the few places you can get a wide selection of builder computer parts.

The chain will never be 100+ locations, but they've never felt like they've needed to grow for growth's sake.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.