HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Tony Kornheiser
Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: August 14, 2006 09:09PM

Anyone watch Monday Night Football tonight? What do you think of Tony Kornheiser? While he's not as obnoxious as Dennis Miller, he's certainly no Howard Cosell. He really doesn't have much to add if you ask me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tony Kornheiser
Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: August 14, 2006 09:39PM

Howard Cosell pretty much sucked ass. So your assertion that he is "no Howard Cosell" makes me want to watch next week.

Cosell's nasally voice annoyed the crap out of me, and that...halting....way...of speaking reminds me of Glenn Beck, another broadcast annoyance.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: August 14, 2006 09:48PM

Kornheiser's alright. He's a better fit than most other 'color commentary' types; he's very knowledgeable about the subject matter. I don't miss Madden. I vaguely remember the Cosell MNF broadcasts so it's hard to make a comparison. My prediction is that Kornheiser will do OK in this job.

Posted by: trekroner ()
Date: August 14, 2006 10:47PM

First broadcasts--preseason at that--probably won't do him justice. I've never been a big Kornheiser fan, but there have been worse.

Posted by: Fairfax MF-er ()
Date: August 15, 2006 09:50AM

The difference between Kornheiser and Cosell is that Cosell had Don Meredith to play off of. Meredith had a sense of humor and could roll with the punches. Joe Theismann is a big, self-important prick. This should be funny (funny peculiar, not funny "ha ha").

Date: August 15, 2006 10:07AM

I did enjoy how Paul McGwire would always keep Theismann in his place, though. Those two and Mike Patrick made for an interesting broadcast trio on Sunday nights.

(Theismann): "You know, quarterbacks today make millions upon millions of dollars, and yet so few actually practice the basic mechanics of the position. I wish I made that kind of money when I played. I might have to come out of retirement."

(McGwire): "Meh... nobody'd want ya, Joe."

:)

Posted by: from the 757 ()
Date: August 15, 2006 07:30PM

Yeah, but on that show you had to put up with them calling for the hall of fame induction for anyone who scores a touchdown. And they'd always overstate the shit out of everything.

"You wanna talk about a guy who..." "I'm gonna tell you about a guy who..." "We're sittin' here talking about a guy..."

Incredibly annoying.

Date: August 15, 2006 08:36PM

Very true. That's right on par with Madden's insistence on giving Brett Favre a free ride regardless of how badly he shits the bed.

After throwing a particularly bad interception and subsequently laughing it off:
(Madden): "And here Brett just sees somethin'--I guess he thought Donald Driver was gonna zig when he was supposed to zag, I dunno, but MAN, does this guy love this game or what? I tell ya..."

There's a certain degree of charm and nostalgic comfort that accompanies a John Madden broadcast, but my God... there really aren't any sports broadcast teams that can genuinely do a good job on a consistent basis.

Even more annoying are the Cris Collinsworths who try so transparently hard to win an Emmy, it's nauseating. Not every thought or analysis is going to be groundbreaking and noteworthy, Bengal Boy--just call the game.

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: August 15, 2006 09:28PM

Speaking of Madden and Sunday Night Football, what the fuck was the deal with all of the Carson Palmer talk. Good God, I realize the guy was hurt and might not be able to play in the pre-season, but Holy Shit! It took up most of the friggin' broadcast! You heard virtually no analysis of the game that was being played. Just "is Carson Palmer going to be ready" ad naseum! Awful! Compared to that, the rather flat game calling by the MNF crew was pure genius.

Date: August 15, 2006 10:29PM

Prolly a stupid idea, but someone should set-up a fantasy football league for FFX Underground so we can prove how much we know about the NFL. I've been on other boards that do it, so why not here. I think it should be limited to registered users though, so that we don't have 8 teams named "(user)_sucks_dick" or the like. Just a thought.

Date: August 15, 2006 10:42PM

The problem is that fantasy football doesn't prove jack shit about real-world football knowledge.

Trash talk is an integral part of the public's interest in football, so I don't see why it should stop, or why anyone should "put their money where their mouth is".

I worked at this fantasy sports software maker called FSPI in reston for a while... we produced Terry Bradshaw Fantasy Football software for keeping track of fantasy league stats and etc. The running joke in the office was how Bradshaw got involved in the office league as a promotional tool. He was dead serious about it, and finished thirteenth out of twenty.

For the record I was not allowed to play in that league so I never got to match wits with Herr Bradshaw.

Date: August 16, 2006 09:42AM

Fantasy Football is a huge waste of time. Maybe you should take an our out of your week to help a charity instead.

Date: August 16, 2006 09:52AM

Agreed, fantasy football is a waste of time since I suck at it.

Date: August 16, 2006 05:32PM

Fairfax MF-er Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fantasy Football is a huge waste of time. Maybe you should take an our out of
> your week to help a charity instead.

I beg to differ. I won over 700 bucks in a league last season. That is much more than I have ever received from some stupid charity.

Date: August 16, 2006 08:42PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fairfax MF-er Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Fantasy Football is a huge waste of time. Maybe
> you should take an our out of
> > your week to help a charity instead.
>
> I beg to differ. I won over 700 bucks in a league
> last season. That is much more than I have ever
> received from some stupid charity.

700 bucks, eh. What's that work out to per hour? $1.75? $2.00.

No waste of time there.

Date: August 16, 2006 09:09PM

What's that work out to per hour?

Didn't take any work at all, since I was a kid I've followed the NFL pretty closely. So it was like a 740 dollar prize for basically doing nuthin. Fed it straight into my Roth instead of gambling it away or spending it on "bling".

Date: August 16, 2006 09:33PM

I would have purchased some of the area's finer gourmet drugs...

Date: August 16, 2006 09:38PM

I would have purchased some of the area's finer gourmet drugs...

That would have been so "money"

(secretly i wish i did do that)

Posted by: Loyal Little ()
Date: March 01, 2016 01:27AM

TK JINGLES!!!!!!!!!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.