HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Damn dog
Posted by: That Guy ()
Date: January 23, 2016 12:09AM

So I am out clearing snow off of my driveway tonight when a dog from a few houses away nearly runs me down. It's a large, muscular black dog, so clearly an assault mutt.

I've told that neighbor before (a few years ago) not to let his dog run lose on my property. Plus I found dog shit in my yard a few days ago.

I have this on tape from the security camera. (The assault dog charging me, not shitting).

What do you all suggest? Polite warning with a note that next time I call the police? (and let him know about the cameras?)? Just let it go, or call the police now?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Damn dog
Posted by: causeican ()
Date: January 23, 2016 12:17AM

what a wuss

Posted by: That Dude ()
Date: January 23, 2016 12:39AM

So did the guy purposely just let his dog go on you? Or was it just a malfunction of a fence or what caused it? If it wasn't intentional I think you should just let it go and figure out some sort of recourse with him. Let him know whatever caused it shouldn't happen again, not like he let it loose to go bite your ass or anything lol...

Posted by: Alexander Smith ()
Date: January 23, 2016 01:41AM

Getting the pigs involved with simple disagreement with the people around you is extremely un-neighborly.

Posted by: great suggestion for OP ()
Date: January 23, 2016 01:46AM

.45 right to your head. Vodka and a lot of opiates. Vodka + tennis ball in your exhaust, sit in your car and go to sleep.

Posted by: GivemeAbreak ()
Date: January 23, 2016 03:31AM

OH MY GOD STOP BEING AN ASSHOLE ITS A DOG, THEY GET LOOSE. THEY RUN. HE DIDN'T HURT YOU. WHAT ARE YOU REALLY ANGRY ABOUT? AS FOR THE POOP, I BET IF YOU TOLD THE GUY HE'D HAPPILY PICK IT UP. THATS THE OTHER THINGS DOGS DO...THEY SHIT. ITS AN ANIMAL, IT DOESN'T KNOW NOT TO SHIT THERE. SHIT HEAD.

Posted by: Captian obvious ()
Date: January 23, 2016 03:44AM

Entice it to bite you and decapitate it with your shovel.

Posted by: NippleChuck ()
Date: January 23, 2016 07:17AM

OP do you carry a side arm? I would suggest at close range nothing smaller than a .38 special, .357mag would be ideal. You don't want the animal to suffer so it's best to dispatch it quickly and cleanly. Then take the carcass and fit it under the back wheels of your neighbors car and they will find it when they back over it. Let us know how this works out.

Nip

Posted by: Problem-solving skills ()
Date: January 23, 2016 07:26AM

Some have resorted to binge drinking it seems.

Posted by: Sarah Failin ()
Date: January 23, 2016 12:24PM

This is Murica, land of freedum! Next time that dog sets foot in your yard shoot it with your assault rifle!
Attachments:
000.jpg

Posted by: Dogguy ()
Date: January 23, 2016 04:08PM

He probably wanted to play with you or give you a doggie kiss. Be nice!

Posted by: Dog Walker1 ()
Date: January 24, 2016 02:38AM

Try a nice communication (phone call preferred over email).

Say something like:

I asked nicely before if you would keep your dog under control, on-leash and off my property. Well, the dog ran towards me off-leash and on my property yet again.

I would like to work this out in a neighborly fashion without bringing in Animal Control/Police. I hope that you would want to reach a friendly resolution of this?

How did the dog get loose? Would you please give me some assurance that it will happen again?

Absent a satisfactory answer from the guy (such as "sorry, a tree branch knocked down part of my fence, I'll do my best to keep the dog under control"), call Animal Control (AC) on Monday or Tuesday, whenever your neighborhood is reasonably plowed out. Do it as soon as you can. Officers and magistrate will hold delays against you.

Call AC when you can wait for the officer (might take 1/2 to 3 hours) and when you think the dog owner will be home. Greet the officer in a friendly fashion and explain what happened. Be prepared to quickly show the officer the video. If you truthfully were in fear of the dog attacking you, say that.

[ASIDE: My experience (I had video of loose dogs as well) has been that the officer is unlikely to write a loose dog ticket to the owner, but will tell you how to file a criminal complaint if you want. The positive is that the officer will tell the owner that he must keep his dog on a leash when the dog is off his owner's property. The negative is that unless this dog appears vicious to the officer, you probably can't get a criminal complaint heard in court.

My own attempt to file a complaint against neighbors turned into a Kafka-like experience with indifference and/or incompetence from police (animal control) and especially the magistrate of the court. In most circumstances it's a fool's errand, boondoggle, waste of time, to take it to a magistrate.

In their defense, they are short-staffed and overworked. The officers have numerous calls and the magistrates are probably under pressure from judges to keep their large caseloads from growing larger.

Your chances of getting a criminal complaint for a loose dog violation seem nil unless (1) the investigating officer wants you to succeed (e.g., officer is convinced that owner is "bad guy" who must be punished), or (2) dog bites you or knocks you down, or (3) the dog kills your dog or cat, or (4) the officer is convinced that the dog likely is vicious. Otherwise, I don't think AC & Fairfax Magistrates care. It's just too small a case for their efforts beyond Officer talking to you and the owner.]

Regardless of how the discussion with dog owner went, get some MACE brand pepper gel. It's a larger can than pepper spray, but can still fit into pocket where you can quick draw it with your dominant hand. The advantages of the gel are a longer range and that there is less blowback than with regular pepper spray.

Now, if the dog charges you and you reasonably fear attack, you can defend yourself with the pepper gel.*

*Pepper gel is legal in Virgina, but not legal in all states. Check before you take it on travel, and NOT on carry-on on plane flights. Not sure about taking it on checked luggage, not a good idea, but I can't say it's illegal. Don't know. Also, intentionally spraying a person is likely to be a felony in most jurisdictions unless you have a valid self-defense claim.

It's unlikely, but if the dog is a trained attack dog, or certain breeds of dogs, a dog (just like a hardened two-legged criminal) might be able to fight through the pepper spray, keep on attacking. (That's why cops shoot menacing dogs instead of pepper spraying them.)

Don't be a jerk by spraying the dog for reasons other than valid defense. You might be charged with animal cruelty.

In terms of the dog crap in your yard, do you know for sure that it came from the dog in question? If not, suggest you just pick it up, double bag it & throw in trash. Not worth it to argue with the neighbor. If you are pretty sure that crap came from the owner's dog, ask him to please come get it.

I'm a strong believer in the 2nd Amendment right to use firearms in valid self-defense situations. Still, you're likely to be arrested if you shoot in a neighborhood without a clear cut justification such as a real attack dog putting you in reasonable fear of imminent attack that would put you at risk of loss of life or serious bodily injury.

Maybe I'll post later to describe more of my considerable experience tilting at windmills to get AC to enforce loose dog law against scofflaw neighbors. Fortunately, my self-defense self-help using the pepper gel worked much better that the futile attempt to force neighbors into the criminal justice sausage grinder where they belonged. There was a funny turn of events that was true poetic justice.

-----------------

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Cassis on manners

Ignoring juvenile attacks and remarks on the internet for over two decades.

Posted by: Fuck Your Mom ()
Date: January 24, 2016 04:07AM

Dog Walker1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Try a nice communication (phone call preferred
> over email).
>
> Say something like:
>
>
I asked nicely before if you would
> keep your dog under control, on-leash and off my
> property. Well, the dog ran towards me off-leash
> and on my property yet again.
>
> I would like to work this out in a neighborly
> fashion without bringing in Animal Control/Police.
> I hope that you would want to reach a friendly
> resolution of this?
>
> How did the dog get loose? Would you please give
> me some assurance that it will happen
> again?
>
> Absent a satisfactory answer from the guy (such as
> "sorry, a tree branch knocked down part of my
> fence, I'll do my best to keep the dog under
> control"), call Animal Control (AC) on Monday or
> Tuesday, whenever your neighborhood is reasonably
> plowed out. Do it as soon as you can. Officers and
> magistrate will hold delays against you.
>
> Call AC when you can wait for the officer (might
> take 1/2 to 3 hours) and when you think the dog
> owner will be home. Greet the officer in a
> friendly fashion and explain what happened. Be
> prepared to quickly show the officer the video. If
> you truthfully were in fear of the dog attacking
> you, say that.
>
>
[ASIDE: My experience (I had video of
> loose dogs as well) has been that the officer is
> unlikely to write a loose dog ticket to the owner,
> but will tell you how to file a criminal complaint
> if you want. The positive is that the officer will
> tell the owner that he must keep his dog on a
> leash when the dog is off his owner's property.
> The negative is that unless this dog appears
> vicious to the officer, you probably can't get a
> criminal complaint heard in court.
>
> My own attempt to file a complaint against
> neighbors turned into a Kafka-like experience with
> indifference and/or incompetence from police
> (animal control) and especially the magistrate of
> the court. In most circumstances it's a fool's
> errand, boondoggle, waste of time, to take it to a
> magistrate.
>
> In their defense, they are short-staffed and
> overworked. The officers have numerous calls and
> the magistrates are probably under pressure from
> judges to keep their large caseloads from growing
> larger.
>
> Your chances of getting a criminal complaint for a
> loose dog violation seem nil unless (1) the
> investigating officer wants you to succeed (e.g.,
> officer is convinced that owner is "bad guy" who
> must be punished), or (2) dog bites you or knocks
> you down, or (3) the dog kills your dog or cat, or
> (4) the officer is convinced that the dog likely
> is vicious. Otherwise, I don't think AC & Fairfax
> Magistrates care. It's just too small a case for
> their efforts beyond Officer talking to you and
> the owner.]
>
> Regardless of how the discussion with dog owner
> went, get some MACE brand pepper gel. It's a
> larger can than pepper spray, but can still fit
> into pocket where you can quick draw it with your
> dominant hand. The advantages of the gel are a
> longer range and that there is less blowback than
> with regular pepper spray.
>
> Now, if the dog charges you and you reasonably
> fear attack, you can defend yourself with the
> pepper gel.*
>
> *Pepper gel is legal in Virgina, but not legal in
> all states. Check before you take it on travel,
> and NOT on carry-on on plane flights. Not sure
> about taking it on checked luggage, not a good
> idea, but I can't say it's illegal. Don't know.
> Also, intentionally spraying a person is likely to
> be a felony in most jurisdictions unless you have
> a valid self-defense claim.
>
> It's unlikely, but if the dog is a trained attack
> dog, or certain breeds of dogs, a dog (just like a
> hardened two-legged criminal) might be able to
> fight through the pepper spray, keep on attacking.
> (That's why cops shoot menacing dogs instead of
> pepper spraying them.)
>
> Don't be a jerk by spraying the dog for reasons
> other than valid defense. You might be charged
> with animal cruelty.
>
> In terms of the dog crap in your yard, do you know
> for sure that it came from the dog in question? If
> not, suggest you just pick it up, double bag it &
> throw in trash. Not worth it to argue with the
> neighbor. If you are pretty sure that crap came
> from the owner's dog, ask him to please come get
> it.
>
> I'm a strong believer in the 2nd Amendment right
> to use firearms in valid self-defense situations.
> Still, you're likely to be arrested if you shoot
> in a neighborhood without a clear cut
> justification such as a real attack dog putting
> you in reasonable fear of imminent attack that
> would put you at risk of loss of life or serious
> bodily injury.
>
> Maybe I'll post later to describe more of my
> considerable experience tilting at windmills to
> get AC to enforce loose dog law against scofflaw
> neighbors. Fortunately, my self-defense self-help
> using the pepper gel worked much better that the
> futile attempt to force neighbors into the
> criminal justice sausage grinder where they
> belonged. There was a funny turn of events that
> was true poetic justice.
>
> -----------------
>
> It's nice to be important, but it's more important
> to be nice. - John Cassis on manners
>
> Ignoring juvenile attacks and remarks on the
> internet for over two decades.

Seems like you have absolutely nothing better to do then harass your neighbors and beat up animals. You are a piece of shit. Fuck you

Posted by: 5-0 ()
Date: January 24, 2016 08:25PM

TROLL....Right up there with the dork who had his car keys taken by the neighbor.

Posted by: it depends ()
Date: January 24, 2016 08:31PM

Well, I am thinking that talking directly with the owner in a nice way would be the best way to start addressing this. The owner might not realize that the dog has gotten loose and is running all over. If the owner is apologetic and responsible, then that is a good thing. If the owner is rude and/or a jerk about it, then you might have to either get your HOA involved or contact animal control.

Context is everything. Years ago, a large dog was on the loose in my neighborhood and knocked down a toddler. The dog did not bite and did not intentionally knock down the toddler--it was a combination of the large dog rushing up and the toddler losing her balance and falling on her rump. Fortunately the dog was friendly--more of a gentle giant goofy kind of dog. But still, you never know so it is best to talk with the owners directly if possible.

Posted by: Dog Walker1 ()
Date: January 25, 2016 12:11AM

it depends Wrote:
> Well, I am thinking that talking directly with the
> owner in a nice way would be the best way to start
> addressing this. The owner might not realize that
> the dog has gotten loose and is running all over.
> If the owner is apologetic and responsible, then
> that is a good thing. If the owner is rude and/or
> a jerk about it, then you might have to either get
> your HOA involved or contact animal control.
>
> Context is everything. Years ago, a large dog was
> on the loose in my neighborhood and knocked down a
> toddler. The dog did not bite and did not
> intentionally knock down the toddler--it was a
> combination of the large dog rushing up and the
> toddler losing her balance and falling on her
> rump. Fortunately the dog was friendly--more of a
> gentle giant goofy kind of dog. But still, you
> never know so it is best to talk with the owners
> directly if possible.

Well said. Treat people with respect and see if you can work it out in a neighborly fashion.

It worked well with two different neighbors, but more recently did not work with husband and wife irresponsible neighbors.

I often saw loose dogs when walking my leashed dog. Also, when walking by myself or with my wife.

Years back, my wife and I were walking our 27 lb dog when we were set upon by two loose dogs, each about 3 times the size of my leashed dog. Attacking dogs were biting my dog in and around her rear (so it appeared) as my dog cried in terror. I was grabbing the collars of the attacking dogs (pretty risky) and pulling the dogs away from my dog.

Dog owner’s girlfriend ran out and corralled the dogs. She was very apologetic. I inspected my dog & realized that the attacking dogs simply bit into the air near my dog. The dogs' owner called on the phone & was sincerely apologetic and offered to pay any vet bills. I told him no need for vet. "It won't happen again," he said.

Obviously, no need to call Animal Control (AC).

After that I started carrying a walking stick b/c I didn't want to simply grab attacking dogs' collars. I could use the stick to fend off attacking dogs when needed and keep my hands away from biting dogs.

Later a neighbor’s loose dog aggressively charged my dog and me. Fortunately, I didn’t have to hit him with stick b/c the dog was about 35 to 40 lbs and small enough that I could wave the stick in between my dog and him. The stick kept him at bay angrily barking at my dog, but never getting close enough to bite. He turned and ran home.

That dog’s owner immediately sent me a sincere apology email and indicated that it would not happen again. No need to call AC on him.

Last series of incidents all involved a husband and wife who live a few doors down from my house. Maybe I’ll give the gory details of that, including large attacking loose dogs being pepper sprayed on two occasions, in a separate post in a day or two.

-----------------

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Cassis on manners

Ignoring juvenile attacks and remarks on the internet for over two decades.

An assault mutt?
Posted by: WTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWHATDAFOOK ()
Date: January 25, 2016 12:24AM

Did he have the reliability, performance, and accuracy that provide our Armed Forces the confidence and sniffage required to accomplish any mission? Did the assault mutt share many features with their combat-proven brother, the Mutt M4? Did he display features like a chrome-lined bite with a 1:7" twist, an adjustable-post front sight, a rear Magpul Gen2 Back-Up Sight (MBUS), and a 30-round Magpul PMAG? Did he have a carry handle? Chrome lined barrel with 6 grooves and 1:7 inch right hand twist? Front sight: adjustable bark for elevation? Rear sight: flip-up adjustable for squatting and shittage. Direct gas system (you'll know what that is when you experience it)? Locking bolt. Four position buttstock. Extended length: 35.5 inches. Collapsed length: 32 inches. Weight: 68 pounds. Matte Black furr.

I think you should report an unregistered black assault mutt at your earliest convenience.

Posted by: Amyiable ()
Date: January 25, 2016 02:52AM

Either pet the dog or leave it alone. The dogs have been particularly enthusiastic about all the snow. It won't kill you to let it be happy.

Posted by: Alexander Smith ()
Date: January 25, 2016 07:15AM

Amyiable Wrote:
> Either pet the dog or leave it alone. The dogs
> have been particularly enthusiastic about all the
> snow. It won't kill you to let it be happy.

Amen.

Dog abusers make me sick!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.