HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
What do people usually tip pizza delivery guys around here? Why don't they have no shrimp or lobster toppings in the US?
Posted by: AlenaC ()
Date: August 08, 2006 04:54PM

What do people usually tip pizza delivery guys around here?

For example, if I ordered two large pizzas with a total bill of $23,
is $4 tip enough?(a littel more than 15 percent) My home is 3 miles
from the pizza place with no traffic in between.

How acceptable is it to leave the tip on the credit card slip?

Thanks!

P.S. Why don't the Pizza Huts or Dominos in the US have seafood toppings such as shrimp or lobster meat, like they do in Europe? :(

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What do people usually tip pizza delivery guys around here? Why don't they have no shrimp or lobster toppings in the US?
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: August 08, 2006 04:59PM

Unless there's something bad with the service you received, 15-20% is a good amount. It's totally acceptable to leave the tip on the credit card slip, the delivery people will get cash for it. No idea why the shrimp/lobster option is not available at Pizza Hut or Domino's here, it might not be a big enough seller here in this area to warrant it.

Re: What do people usually tip pizza delivery guys around here? Why don't they have no shrimp or lobster toppings in the US?
Date: August 08, 2006 05:08PM

hmm..... I wonder why I got a dirty look from the delivery driver yesterday.
My order was $23, which I paid with a credit card. then I handed the driver
four $1 bills. He looked at it and looked at me again... gave me a strange
look(not a nice one), turned around and walked back to his car, without saying
a single word... :( drove off like a madman...

oh well... I guess he was having a bad day or something, no?

Date: August 08, 2006 05:15PM

oh well... I guess he was having a bad day or something, no?

Delivering food isn't the most rewarding or lucrative career, I've noticed that most of them aren't very pleasant. I'd be all angry too if I was trying to earn a living doing that.

Posted by: Heh ()
Date: August 08, 2006 05:42PM

US market is different.
Most good, quality foods never make it over the ocean

Posted by: § ()
Date: August 08, 2006 06:11PM

He might've flicked a couple wet ones on your thin n' crispy mushroom pie. I've seen worse by a H.S. buddy at Little Caesars in FFX. -§

Posted by: bush ()
Date: August 08, 2006 06:14PM

when i was like 10, my friends use to get together and order pizza with all the money we had. Usually we would only have enough for the pizza, so we would give as a tip the loose change that we had and some candy. Not really sure what the dude thought, man back in the good old days...wish i was kid

Posted by: MrDoctor ()
Date: August 08, 2006 06:45PM

i duno bout shrimp + lobster on pizza sounds fuckn nasty

i usualy give a good tip

Date: August 08, 2006 07:27PM

I've had shrimp on a white pizza and it's actually pretty fuckin good. The shrimp need to be fresh though, not that frozen crap.

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: August 08, 2006 07:36PM

Yeah I have some real good stories to tell when I worked at Boston Market back in high school (In CA, not around here like it matters though). I usually just give them a buck or two and they seem happy.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: August 08, 2006 08:09PM

When it takes over an hour to get my pizza here, i don't tip. In fact, I give a 50 dollar bill and ask for exact change. Only did that twice. You should see the guy's face, though.

Posted by: mad max, JD ()
Date: August 08, 2006 08:19PM

I had lobster at McDonald's in Stowe, VT. I was in 6th grade and I thought that was the shit.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: August 08, 2006 09:31PM

I will typically tip $4 for a couple of pizzas and a 2-liter. I would tip more but places now tack a "delivery charge" on top of the bill. I have read representatives from pizza joints saying "no no the drivers don't get that" but I consider that and the tip the same thing... the extra you pay for the food at the door.

Date: August 08, 2006 10:15PM

pgens Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I would tip more but places now tack a
> "delivery charge" on top of the bill.

I would also like to know who really gets the "delivery charge" on the bill.
If the driver doesn't get the money, what's the point? Is it for the person
who takes the pizza order on the phone? I only order pizza online via the
websites of Domino's and Pizza Hut...

Date: August 08, 2006 10:27PM

"no no the drivers don't get that" but I consider that and the tip the same thing

Could this be a surcharge related to high gas prices? I haven't ordered a pie in a few years but I'd sorta expect a special charge to cover for it.

Date: August 08, 2006 11:07PM

Pizza Hut has been doing it for years now. It's just a convenience charge.

And there is NOTHING more frustrating than trying order online from Papa John's, getting through an order, and getting a cryptic error message when you verify the order that doesn't tell you if the order went through or not. Then you sit on hold with their customer service, only to be told that the order didn't go through after all. Their web site is TEH 5Ux0r.

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: August 08, 2006 11:20PM

pgens Wrote:
> And there is NOTHING more frustrating than trying
> order online from Papa John's, getting through an
> order, and getting a cryptic error message when
> you verify the order that doesn't tell you if the
> order went through or not. Then you sit on hold
> with their customer service, only to be told that
> the order didn't go through after all. Their web
> site is TEH 5Ux0r.

And I thought that I was the only one...nothing beats showing up at the Papa John's in Burke only to be told that the order never existed, even though I have the confirmation print out in my hand. The best one, however, was when the order posted three times and they expected me to take SIX pizzas. I told them that I only wanted the two that I ordered and the kid on the register told me that I had to pay for all six or I could not have any. Instead of arguing I just ordered takeout from King Kebab.

Date: August 09, 2006 12:51PM

Yeah one time when the order DID go through I waited and waited... finally I called them and they said it came through as a pickup order and my stuff was getting cold.

Posted by: Ferfux ()
Date: August 10, 2006 02:13PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> Unless there's something bad with the service you
> received, 15-20% is a good amount. It's totally
> acceptable to leave the tip on the credit card
> slip, the delivery people will get cash for it.
> No idea why the shrimp/lobster option is not
> available at Pizza Hut or Domino's here, it might
> not be a big enough seller here in this area to
> warrant it.

you should tip him by flashing your swedish meatballs. THEN he would be happy to bring you your pizza, with seafood and a smile anytime. But hey since you are the woman maybe he expects YOU to suply the SeaFood. you ask a lot of stupid questions on this forum.

Date: August 10, 2006 02:28PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> It's totally
> acceptable to leave the tip on the credit card
> slip, the delivery people will get cash for it.

In college I worked for a restaurant where they deducted about 2% from tips left on credit cards to cover the bank fee. If asked I would tell them to leave cash for the tip.

Date: August 10, 2006 03:14PM

I worked for a restaurant where they deducted about 2% from tips left on credit cards to cover the bank fee.

I wonder if they had the legal right to do that. That is ridiculous. I wouldn't patronize a place if I knew they were screwing their employees like that.

Posted by: Adam ()
Date: August 10, 2006 03:30PM

I always order online from papa johns or anyone.. Never had a problem yet.. I love it because its harder for them to get your order wrong.

Posted by: FerFux ()
Date: August 12, 2006 08:01PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> I worked for a restaurant where they deducted
> about 2% from tips left on credit cards to cover
> the bank fee.
>
> I wonder if they had the legal right to do that.
> That is ridiculous. I wouldn't patronize a place
> if I knew they were screwing their employees like
> that.

Yeah man, online pizza ordering is the shizznits. They never F' up my order but It does take a lil longer to get to my place. Course once they are here AHmed or achbar usually cant speak enough enlgish to know I dont tip them anyway

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: August 12, 2006 11:03PM

that may be racist, ferfux, but it's comedy gold.

Date: August 13, 2006 01:16AM

Course once they are here AHmed or achbar usually cant speak enough enlgish to know I dont tip them anyway

Best pizza delivery guy I ever had was an older Egyptian dude that used to deliver from the Tysons Pizza Hut years and years ago, we always tipped him extra and he would always bring me and my roommate extra sodas, breadsticks, parmesan cheese, etc. He didn't speak perfect English but he did a good job and based on your post my guess is that you aren't exactly a candidate for Mensa either.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: August 13, 2006 04:25PM

Lester Burnham Wrote:
> And I thought that I was the only one...nothing
> beats showing up at the Papa John's in Burke only
> to be told that the order never existed, even
> though I have the confirmation print out in my
> hand. The best one, however, was when the order
> posted three times and they expected me to take
> SIX pizzas. I told them that I only wanted the
> two that I ordered and the kid on the register
> told me that I had to pay for all six or I could
> not have any. Instead of arguing I just ordered
> takeout from King Kebab.

hey dumbass, it says to click the submit button once. i hope they banned you.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: joe ()
Date: August 13, 2006 09:54PM

I found this commandline program that lets you order pizza from Dominoes. Its called pizza party. http://www.beigerecords.com/cory/pizza_party/

Date: August 13, 2006 10:37PM

www.beigerecords.com

Play some fuckin rock and roll. "Beige Records", lol.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: August 23, 2006 02:17PM

If Dude was bringing you ALL OF THAT EXTRA shit he prolly didnt understand that he was supposed to be dropping off individual orders to differant places. Instead he just dropped off everything to your place first and left the other unlucky asses hnugry! If he didnt speak English very well how did you know what counrty he was from? Did he WALK LIKE AN EGYPTION??? HEY NAA HEY NAA HEEEEY HEEEY HEEEEY NAAAAAH chicka chicka chicka chicka

Posted by: RbF_dark420 ()
Date: August 26, 2006 05:24AM

Dont order from chain resturaunts all their food is greasy krap. find the local pizza joint they make good shit. $5.99 carry-out deal with My Pepperoni in herndon. huge favorite with FFXPD. there is a nice local pizza joint that delivers to you. also you can always tell who worked in the resturuant industry by the way they tip. i always try to tip 40% or more. $23 tab is like $5 to $8 tip.

Also you can get Lobster Pizza that is pretty good from Red Lobster chains. very tastey. plus free cheesy bread!

Only the paraniod will Survive...

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: August 26, 2006 05:47AM

I agree, my good tipping comes from a belief in Karma. I got tipped pretty good, so I feel like I should do the same, to avoid the karma being served back in some really bizarre bad way.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: October 09, 2012 07:28PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> Course once they are here AHmed or achbar
> usually cant speak enough enlgish to know I dont
> tip them anyway

>
> Best pizza delivery guy I ever had was an older
> Egyptian dude that used to deliver from the Tysons
> Pizza Hut years and years ago, we always tipped
> him extra and he would always bring me and my
> roommate extra sodas, breadsticks, parmesan
> cheese, etc. He didn't speak perfect English but
> he did a good job and based on your post my guess
> is that you aren't exactly a candidate for Mensa
> either.

Jokes on YOU I just got accepted to MENSA!

Posted by: Anon Pizza Driver ()
Date: October 09, 2012 11:26PM

I've delivered for some pizza places around centreville and here's the spread:

0 - only niggers
.01-1 - blacks
1-2 - people by themselves (usually apartments) or kids and occasionally really rich people (in mansions)
2-3 - mom's or orders that are for aother people
3-4 - Average tip
4-5 - Homes / usuals / college aged white male by themselves
5+ - Large orders / best customers
10+ - ballers

Posted by: Anon Pizza Driver ()
Date: October 09, 2012 11:29PM

I don't know how other drivers are but anything more than 2 and some change is fine for any order (I won't think less of you)

Also I do agree about the seafood toppings. Tuna, black olives, and onions are sooo good.

Posted by: pizza boy ()
Date: October 10, 2012 12:06AM

mad max, JD Wrote:
> I had lobster at McDonald's in Stowe, VT. I was
> in 6th grade and I thought that was the shit.

The drivers do get it. I deliver pizzas, and we get 1 dollar per delivery for gas. So that 1 dollar charge goes our way.

Posted by: Gueseppe ()
Date: October 10, 2012 12:34AM

Ciro's Restaurante just west of South Riding on Route 50 (fancier version of the Original Ciro's in Centreville) offers shrimp as a topping. Mind you, this is a fancy place...the shrimp are marinated, grilled and are huge. Absolutely delicious!

Posted by: bumpers the goon ()
Date: June 26, 2013 12:43PM

bump

Posted by: Whhhhatttt ()
Date: June 26, 2013 03:00PM

I see ads for pizza drivers where the pay is $12 an hour. I usually just hand over $25 for an 8 slice deep dish pie. It's a splurge, an indulgence.

Posted by: pizza_chomp ()
Date: June 26, 2013 03:43PM

I drove for a pizza place several years ago. $3-5 is normal these days, some more if there is a huge order.

-I fucking hated swimming pools, never tip-but that was mostly kids.

-Normal middle class neighbors tended to tip more than upscale neighborhoods. For example, Daventry (off of Old Keene Mill) sucked compared to the older homes closer to west springfield. Daventry was full of cheap ass rude assholes for the most part.

-Section 8 shit holes like green hills http://www.yelp.com/map/greene-hills-estate-springfield. I remember seeing giant ass big screen televisions and fairly nice cars in their cockroach houses. Would not tip for shit either. I can understand just being down on your luck, but these bastards had some nice shit for their dump of a house.

For the most part, people were pretty cool though.

Posted by: seafood pizza is good ()
Date: June 26, 2013 04:22PM

Ciro's upscale location in Stone Ridge (Loudoun County) offers grilled shrimp on a pizza. It's delicious.

In many foreign countries, tuna is a very common topping on pizza.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.