HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Class Size - McElveen Says His Community Wants Lipstick on a Pig
Posted by: chipmunk ()
Date: September 26, 2015 03:53PM

A friend sent me this video clip of Ryan McElveen which is so incredibly insulting I had to post it.

at around 3 hours 8 minutes, watch him in action at the March 26 school board meeting. Jane Strauss proposes a one-time $1 million rescue funding to help with the grossly overcrowded schools in her district because yes, you guessed it - its an election year and she's ignored class sizes for the last 4 years. Pat Hynes seconds it (as she has been ignoring class sizes also), and McElveen supports it by saying that "his community wants a pig with lipstick," in other words, he supports a band aid on class sizes. How INSULTING can you get? "HIS community wants lipstick on a pig?" wow. how out of touch is that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G5Szr7Pc9c

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Class Size - McElveen Says His Community Wants Lipstick on a Pig
Posted by: not Jane Strauss ()
Date: September 26, 2015 03:57PM

One thing you can say about Janie, she knows how to work the politics prior to an election. Ignore your constituents until it is time to vote. Then, do something impressive.

Did she get the funds?

Posted by: chipmunk ()
Date: September 26, 2015 06:41PM

nope - her colleagues stopped her short...

Posted by: Natham K ()
Date: September 26, 2015 07:13PM

Lets only hope the voters in the Dranesville District stop her, too.

Posted by: Dumbass libturdz. ()
Date: September 26, 2015 07:28PM

Who cares? People that send their kids to public school either hate them or are too stupid to teach them.

Posted by: Inquisitive One ()
Date: September 27, 2015 04:04AM

However, it does give you an insight into the thought processes of McElveen. which is to say there are none.

Posted by: Ryan McElveen, Human Mistake ()
Date: September 27, 2015 09:11PM

Ryan McElveen is in this for himself. He gave himself a raise, his wife is a teacher so he can devote full time to building a political career.

Unfortunately 4 years of him have been 3.9 years too much and he's going to get tossed out of office. His 15 minutes of fame will be over, thank God.

Posted by: Democrat Primaries ()
Date: September 28, 2015 11:18PM

Let's face it. The Democrats on the School Board can only be ousted in a Democrat primary. With the right challenger, it could be accomplished with less than $80,000 cash spent.

Posted by: party members ()
Date: September 29, 2015 09:24AM

Democrat Primaries Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Let's face it. The Democrats on the School Board
> can only be ousted in a Democrat primary. With
> the right challenger, it could be accomplished
> with less than $80,000 cash spent.

But, the School Board is "non-partisan"--the members all run as "independents". So, there cannot be a primary. The Dems and GoP both have committees that choose who to "endorse." It's ironic that all of the at-large currently on the Board are Democratic activists. They are some of the most active Dems in the county. Moon ran for Supervisor as a Dem and McElveen and Velkoff are very active in the Dem party. Smith has also always been very active in the Dem party.

Occasionally, someone will run for the SB without "endorsements". However, I don't think they ever win.

McElveen did not get the endorsement in the last election until one of the endorsed had to withdraw because she hit a pro-life activist with her car. Nice people, these Dems.

Posted by: McElveen is FINISHED ()
Date: September 29, 2015 09:52AM

His support, such as it is, comes from students. He is hoping, in vain, that FCPS graduates will rally to his support in November. He's wrong.

He has alienated many people by forcing the transgender issue.

He has alienated many people by accepting a prom date from a student.

He has alienated many people who find his Twitter page to be amateurish and bizarre.

He has alienated many people by telling them, in so many words to 'get lost' when they contact him about concerns with FCPS.

Posted by: Jane Jetson ()
Date: October 22, 2015 09:22AM

Here's a shorter clip with McElveen saying the community wants a pig with lipstick on it. Interestingly, he has brought this up at a few debates but only acknowledges he says it is lipstick on a pig. What he doesn't say is he thinks that is what voters want. I think it is important to get the full quote out there so voters can understand what a low opinion he has of voters.
Attachments:
FCPS School Board Meeting No. 16 Clip.mp4

Posted by: scarl8 ()
Date: October 22, 2015 09:52AM

I couldn't get the video to work on my laptop, but I did a search on youtube and found the Ryan McElveen insult. So nice to have a board member who thinks we can just be duped.

If he thinks that we are all this dumb, no wonder the board thinks they can slip other crap past us re: budget and political agendas.

Here's the link, if you're up for being insulted by elected officials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G5Szr7Pc9c
McElveen's Piggie reference is around 3:08:22.

Posted by: FCPS budget watcher ()
Date: October 22, 2015 09:53AM

He says stupid stuff all the time. At the Great Fall budget debate the other night, he actually passed on answering questions about the $70 million budget gap. This moron sits on the budget committee and he can't even speak to the budget? He is such an empty suit it's amazing. Such a dolt.

Posted by: scarl8 ()
Date: October 22, 2015 10:00AM

Janie has been on the board since I was a kid in FCPS.

She totally ignores people. I tried (on two different occasions) to speak to her in person about some of the stuff she's trying to push past us and SHE IGNORED ME. The first time, she just said, "opt out". Second time, she said, "parents can just opt out."

It's like a broken record. "opt out. opt out. opt out."

I don't know about you, but I LOVE it when we get to waste money on programs that are so easily deemed optional.

How about we spend money on the stuff that matters, Janie.
And McELveen, for that matter. I don't like him one. tiny. bit.

Posted by: pissed off parent ()
Date: October 22, 2015 02:48PM

Just watched the video clip! All I can say is, WOW. That guy is so arrogant and out of touch. He may be a graduate of FCPS but he has no idea what it's like being a parent of kids in the system, and he certainly has NO idea what the heck he is doing on the school board. I know I don't want lipstick on a pig! I want real, long term solutions to this very real and growing problem! I went to a PTA sponsored candidate forum last night to hear what the At-Large candidates had to say, and one of the non-incumbents, Jeanette Hough took Mr. McElveen to task about his insulting comment and his lack of leadership on the class size issue (one among many issues I might add).

Posted by: REMEMBER TO VOTE ()
Date: October 22, 2015 06:01PM

D0NT VOTE FOR HIM! But like I said before I am tired and i am sitting this one out

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.