HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Need Business Attorney
Posted by: Tree ()
Date: September 14, 2015 07:23PM

I am about to form an LLC, can anyone recommend a good Business Attorney that you have dealt with?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need Business Attorney
Posted by: depends ()
Date: September 14, 2015 07:39PM

Depends...I have started a number of companies and rule number one is don't spend capital upfront if you dont need too. LegalZoom and others will start your llc at a much smaller cost then an attorney. If it becomes something more then an idea and revenue is flowing then go the attorney route

Posted by: try graf ()
Date: September 14, 2015 08:20PM

Grafbusinesslaw.com

Works on an hourly or project basis. Reasonable costs. Specializes in startups

Posted by: bYuhC ()
Date: September 14, 2015 09:04PM

depends Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Depends...I have started a number of companies and
> rule number one is don't spend capital upfront if
> you dont need too. LegalZoom and others will start
> your llc at a much smaller cost then an attorney.
> If it becomes something more then an idea and
> revenue is flowing then go the attorney route

You don't even need that for the registration itself. Go to the State Corp Commission web site. Fill out the trivially simple form. Pay the $50. Done.

Posted by: My three cents ()
Date: September 14, 2015 10:26PM

I'm a Virginia lawyer and I tell my clients to do as much as they can, the simpler stuff, on their own. That includes a lot of the SCC filings.

Meanwhile, I served as outside counsel for a box-mover-internet-bubble-burster company about 15 years ago, and they were registered in Delaware. We needed to file a simple paper with Delaware, and the state response was that we had to use one of their "registered" registerers, for about $500. Our response was just to ignore Delaware from then on (during the ensuing downward glide path ).

Posted by: stop giving bad advice ()
Date: September 14, 2015 10:51PM

Any legal expert or lawyer who tells you "don't incorporate in Delaware" is giving you bad advice.

Delaware has its own court system devoted to corporate law with literally a century of case law precedence and experience. Lawyers in every state will be very familiar with DE laws.

That's the simplest route.

Posted by: jvTye ()
Date: September 15, 2015 01:54AM

stop giving bad advice Wrote:
> Any legal expert or lawyer who tells you "don't
> incorporate in Delaware" is giving you bad advice.
>
>
> Delaware has its own court system devoted to
> corporate law with literally a century of case law
> precedence and experience. Lawyers in every state
> will be very familiar with DE laws.
>
> That's the simplest route.

I'm not a lawyer but I do/have had multiple LLCs. It's not necessarily bad advice. What they said was true. There are some reasons why you might want to register in DE but unless the company has a legal presence there, then you will have to use one of their corporate agents. Which as they said is a rather expensive deal and doesn't buy most people much if just setting up a simple LLC. It's definitely not the "simplest route." Much easier to do in VA. Unless there's some particular reason why you don't want to register in VA (or other home state).

Posted by: Legal Warning ()
Date: September 15, 2015 04:00PM

If you are a smaller business with a handful of owners doing business in one or two states, none of which are Delaware or Nevada, and the bulk of your revenues comes from operations rather than investments, then incorporating in Delaware or Nevada would increase costs and complexity while providing little if any benefit to the business. The business will still be required to register and obtain licenses in the states where it is doing business. The business and its owners will still be subject to tax by those states, and the business and its owners and agents can still be sued in those states. If you represented people looking to start such a company and blindly told them "incorporate in Delaware", it would be malpractice. The same principals apply to LLCs.

Posted by: LGjp3 ()
Date: September 15, 2015 07:17PM

Unless you SERIOUSLY think that you're going national, or that you're going to be franchising nationally, or that you might be going public, register your llc in the state where you're doing most of your business. Even if you do think that you seriously might get to these things one day, probably don't bother with Delaware.

Posted by: jTdE9 ()
Date: September 15, 2015 07:51PM

LGjp3 Wrote:
> Unless you SERIOUSLY think that you're going
> national, or that you're going to be franchising
> nationally, or that you might be going public,
> register your llc in the state where you're doing
> most of your business. Even if you do think that
> you seriously might get to these things one day,
> probably don't bother with Delaware.

Also, I'm an attorney, and I do business law. It's been a few years that I've filed an inc or an llc for a small business client. They ALL do it themselves, and then they contact me when they want to bring in a partner, get investments, or get into difficulties. You don't even need to pay legal zoom any more to do this stuff. Most if it is available for free if you know what you're looking for.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.