HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
Dulles Metro - Stupid Fucking Idea
Posted by: The Economist22 ()
Date: July 30, 2006 09:00PM

The Dulles Metro is a really really stupid idea.

First, lets deal with the facts about the metro system in general. It's a big waste of taxpayer money. I rarely ever ride metro, infact I haven't in the past few years at all, for good reasons. Before even getting on, it is not cost effective for me to do so. The cost of a ticket is around 3x the amount of gas I would spend. In some cases, when we need to valet park, we all throw down 5 dollars. This in total costs around 30 dollars including gas, as opposed to around 7 dollars apiece for a ticket both ways plus metro parking. Not only that, metro takes so much time, It takes twice as long to get from metro center in DC to springfield/franconia than it does to drive from there to my house. Also, I can smoke a cig in my car, I cannot smoke inside the train, or even at an outdoor station. The bathrooms in metro are also very inconvienent. I've missed last trains in the past because of the bathroom being a mile away, and also that the schedules are incredibly inconsistent. Certain nights they run last train a few minutes before or after. And it's always early.

The public transportation system in NOVA sucks bad as a whole too. The bus routes are terrible, and most are simply commuter buses that do not run past 9 at night or on weekends. This totally defeats the purpose of taking the metro in the first place because I would do that to avoid driving drunk. If I have to drive from springfield to my house, I might as well just drive all the way home.

Now that we've established the fact that metro sucks for the average Fairfax County Resident, Let's move on to metro's repurcussions on the area affected. Springfield mall has become a TOTAL SHITHOLE ever since the metro opened up. I remember when I was like 15 years old and I was in Fairfax JDC (yes I had a few brushes with the law growing up), like 1 in 8 of the people there were from DC and got caught at Springfield mall doing something. There was one guy who was locked up for not paying for metro, and since his mom was a crackhead or something and wouldn't come pick him up, they held him there indefinitely. What a stupid waste of tax dollars that was. Crime rates at Springfield mall have skyrocketed due in part to the fact that Metro offers a convienent method of transportation for DC scum to travel to the mall. Watch how Tysons mall becomes a total dump when the thugs start hanging out there (it's only a short trip away, they don't have jobs anyways so they don't need to worry about time)

Who will pay for the expansion into Dulles. All taxpayers will. Which is total bullshit, because I will most likely never use this. In the 1 in million chance that I move into that area and the 1 in 10,000 chance I want to use it, I will run into the same exact problems that I have run into already (see above about shitty metro policies, bus support, etc). Same goes for 99% of the rest of us taxpayers.

The people who should pay for it are the ones who use it, just like most every other good or service in the country.

It's total horse shit too because the Metro has become such a terrible waste of tax dollars. I cannot remember anytime that they were under their budget. They always run over, so they can get even more money the next year. Meanwhile, just like most U.S. government agencies, the employees are unionized and are way over paid for their type of work. The executives are way over compensated for the shitty management they provide, but meanwhile, NO ONE CARES. The government should phase out a considerable portion of the subsidy they provide for Metro. The people who do use metro should pay more, because the rest of us aren't getting any use out of it. I would prefer a meanial tax break of 10 dollars a year, and use that money for a marginal increase in metro rates as I see fit, rather than ride for less and have taxes cover it.

I can cover more reasons why the Dulles Metro is a stupid idea but I'm tired of writing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dulles Metro - Stupid Fucking Idea
Posted by: ahahahhahahaa ()
Date: July 30, 2006 09:12PM

dont see you coming up with any good ideas you dumb ass mother fucking pencil necked bastard

Posted by: Jester ()
Date: July 30, 2006 09:16PM

Ok. If you want to smoke and sit in traffic on your way in then metro isn't for you. I've worked in DC for years and I find the Metro be a gift from God.

From Vienna to DC and back costs me about 10 bucks(including parking). The ride takes 27 minutes about 95% of the time. You can't park in DC for 10 bucks and in rush hour good luck making it anywhere on the beltway and in DC.

However I strongly object to the first time parking fee of $10.00 since you have to buy a smart card to park. The parking is $3.75 but you can't buy a smart card(at least at the Vienna Metro) for less than $10.00, because the smart card cost $5.00 to activate. What a rip-off for people who are visiting from out of town.

It would certainly be nice to grab a train from Reston rather than drive over to Vienna.

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: July 30, 2006 09:50PM

Except 700,000 people take it a day. If you think the roads are clogged now and local pollution is bad try all of them on the roads.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: July 30, 2006 10:02PM

The Economist22,

No offense; do you really have an Econ degree?

Posted by: Heh ()
Date: July 30, 2006 10:41PM

Another poster who tries to anger people who find metro useful and look forward to the Dulles expansion.

Dont waste your time folks.

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: July 30, 2006 11:59PM

Metro is a good idea, and an extension the Dulles isn't a bad idea, in theory. The problem is the current system is running near capacity, so I have no idea what Metro is going to do when 50,000 additional riders from Loudoun County and the Reston/Chantilly area start showing up at Metro Center.

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: July 31, 2006 12:42AM

While I don't have the passion expressed by the thread starter, I really have a hard time getting my arms around Metro to Dulles. I think that extending the Metro Orange Line to Tysons makes a lot of sense and that a light rail system that follows the Dulles Toll Road would be a less expensive, less intrusive and more easily developed alternative that would provide solid economic benefit.

Tysons clearly is a workplace destination coming from all directions and there really needs to be a way for people living inside the Beltway to get there. Tysons would be another "hub" like Springfield, Bethesda and Metro Center (don't know what the analog is in PG County -- Greenbelt?). The biggest problem with Metro is that there is no way to move betwee the outer "hubs" without first going through the center...similar to the old People Express airline that required a trip through Newark even if you were flying from Boston to Burlington, Vermont. Until we see the development of the long-proposed Purple Line, we will never have an easy way to get from Franconia to Vienna, for example.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: July 31, 2006 05:00AM

Jester Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> However I strongly object to the first time
> parking fee of $10.00 since you have to buy a
> smart card to park. The parking is $3.75 but you
> can't buy a smart card(at least at the Vienna
> Metro) for less than $10.00, because the smart
> card cost $5.00 to activate. What a rip-off for
> people who are visiting from out of town.

no a rip-off is you are driving to the metro to pick someone up when a bus merges into your lane, forcing you into the leftmost lane which is the lane to enter the parking garage. suddenly stuck in this lane, you must enter the parking garage as there are a few cars behind you. then you try to exit and explain what happened to a person at the toll booth but she says you have to pay to exit which is $3.75. you offer cash but she says you have to buy a card. you walk in and go to buy a card and it's $10 all because of some fucking metro bus that almost killed you. now THAT is a rip-off. it's become quite clear to me that everyone who works at the metro is a jackass.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Arthur Vandelay ()
Date: July 31, 2006 07:52AM

The inherit problem with the Metro system is that there are no alternative tracks between stations. For example, in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, hell just about any where else you can think of, you can get on a train that will go directly to a few major stations, bypassing all other stations along the way. If Metro were so clever as to implement this design back when they first broke ground on the system, I'd bet you could catch an express train from Rosslyn to Metro Center, and other express trains between other major stops.

Another advantage to that system is if a train breaks down somewhere on the track, they don't need to run the whole line on one track to get around. Unfortunately, not only does one train breaking down affect the one line, but it affects all other lines. A delay will happen on the Orange line at Foggy Bottom, which will cause a delay for the Blue line at the Pentagon. That problem with the blue line will cause a problem for the yellow line at Pentagon, which will cause a problem for the green line at L'enfant.

It's really stupid how a single breakdown doesn't just delay a line, but fucks up the whole system. One defective train is like a wrench in the gears - the whole system locks up.

If the engineers are smart this time around, they'll make it possible for a train to go straight from the Orange line directly to Dulles Airport without any stops along the way. Otherwise, if you're trying to get to the airport and you have to stop at every stop in Tysons or along the Toll Road, it's easily going to take you an hour to get there *once you've left the Orange line* - god forbid you need to get to Dulles from Maryland...

Yet, as shitty of a system as it is, I would be incredibly naive and outright stupid to say that we'd be better off without it. I know that I don't like getting squeezed into the train like a sardine, but the only other alternative is to drive into the city, and I outright refuse to ever do that (which makes it fun and games when you're a consultant to federal agencies).

Posted by: T-Bone®©™ ()
Date: July 31, 2006 08:30AM

Jester Wrote:
> Ok. If you want to smoke and sit in traffic on
> your way in then metro isn't for you. I've worked
> in DC for years and I find the Metro be a gift
> from God.
>
> From Vienna to DC and back costs me about 10
> bucks(including parking). The ride takes 27
> minutes about 95% of the time. You can't park in
> DC for 10 bucks and in rush hour good luck making
> it anywhere on the beltway and in DC.
>
> However I strongly object to the first time
> parking fee of $10.00 since you have to buy a
> smart card to park. The parking is $3.75 but you
> can't buy a smart card(at least at the Vienna
> Metro) for less than $10.00, because the smart
> card cost $5.00 to activate. What a rip-off for
> people who are visiting from out of town.
>
> It would certainly be nice to grab a train from
> Reston rather than drive over to Vienna.

Really? can't park for 10 bucks a day in D.C.,,, hmmm seems I can for 9 bucks a day. and all the garages in a 4 block radius of 20th and L or M streets are that way, unless you get in after 9 or 10 am...

On another note. Metro is ONLY a RUSH HOUR people mover. It is NOT a true transit system for people to get around all day long. Try living in any other big city in America and you have a true PUBLIC transit system...

We do need the link to Dulles however.

Posted by: Fairfax MF-er ()
Date: July 31, 2006 09:42AM

Gravis Wrote:
> Jester Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > However I strongly object to the first time
> > parking fee of $10.00 since you have to buy a
> > smart card to park. The parking is $3.75 but
> you
> > can't buy a smart card(at least at the Vienna
> > Metro) for less than $10.00, because the smart
> > card cost $5.00 to activate. What a rip-off
> for
> > people who are visiting from out of town.
>
> no a rip-off is you are driving to the metro to
> pick someone up when a bus merges into your lane,
> forcing you into the leftmost lane which is the
> lane to enter the parking garage. suddenly stuck
> in this lane, you must enter the parking garage as
> there are a few cars behind you. then you try to
> exit and explain what happened to a person at the
> toll booth but she says you have to pay to exit
> which is $3.75. you offer cash but she says you
> have to buy a card. you walk in and go to buy a
> card and it's $10 all because of some fucking
> metro bus that almost killed you. now THAT is a
> rip-off. it's become quite clear to me that
> everyone who works at the metro is a jackass.

It appears that Gravis's life is much harder than it needs to be. He's like the Gilligan of Fairfax County.

Posted by: Lurker ()
Date: July 31, 2006 10:12AM

I agree Gravis,

In my case I didn't have $10 bill so I had to walk to taxi drivers outside and get a $10 for a $20.(there was no way to get change for a twenty in the station and my atm card didn't work in the machine.) Then go back inside and get a smart card.

I really enjoy the way metro doesn't tell you need a smart card until you are in the lot and have no choice.

As for breakdowns, there are side pull-offs between each station for a broken down train to be pulled into by a puller and the faulty car replaced.

I would suggest that Metro uses the same concept as Chicago does from the airport. One train and track makes all the stops, another is an express that only makes one stop halfway. You can transfer from the express to the full stop train at the mid point if that works best.

Posted by: brianl703 ()
Date: July 31, 2006 10:45AM

Metro hires the drivers that the dump-truck companies won't even touch.

Posted by: 345 ()
Date: July 31, 2006 10:50AM

" The Economist22", STAY the hell off my roads you wanker

Posted by: ffxmotorist ()
Date: July 31, 2006 10:52AM

I must agree:

"Crime rates at Springfield mall have skyrocketed due in part to the fact that Metro offers a convienent method of transportation for DC scum to travel to the mall."

"Watch how Tysons mall becomes a total dump when the thugs start hanging out there (it's only a short trip away, they don't have jobs anyways so they don't need to worry about time)"

Posted by: Dude ()
Date: July 31, 2006 11:19AM

Let see...

what about Chantilly and Manassas?
No metro there and still shitty areas.

And what about Dupont and Foggy bottom?
There is metro and look - still pretty nice.
Same goes for Bethesda.

Why dont you tie airplanes that fly from Honduras and Vietnman here to ever growing problem of asian and hispanic gangs?

Should we close Dulles Airport???

Yawn....

Posted by: dudeisright ()
Date: July 31, 2006 03:34PM

right on dudue!!!! I hate how all the self-righteous and pretentious fools on this site think they know everything and come up w/ the most illogical reasoning that they consider factual and the law!!!!!!

Posted by: ffxmotorist ()
Date: July 31, 2006 04:13PM

Lets look at REALITY here folks..in regards to Springfield mall.

After the metro came to Sprinfield, one can see the decline...

just go down to the metro and you will see thugs and inner city dwellers come off the train and head right to the mall, where they walk around in packs, "holla" at the female patrons and generally intimidate the legitimate springfield mall shoppers.

Posted by: Phil ()
Date: July 31, 2006 04:30PM

ffxmotorist Wrote:
> Lets look at REALITY here folks..in regards to
> Springfield mall.
>
> After the metro came to Sprinfield, one can see
> the decline...
>
> just go down to the metro and you will see thugs
> and inner city dwellers come off the train and
> head right to the mall, where they walk around in
> packs, "holla" at the female patrons and generally
> intimidate the legitimate springfield mall
> shoppers.

On an unrelated matter, the gun show was in town this weekend. Can't "holla" much with a hole in your throat...

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: July 31, 2006 05:59PM

lol @ phil

top notch comedy

Date: July 31, 2006 07:00PM

T-Bone®©™ Wrote:

>
> On another note. Metro is ONLY a RUSH HOUR people
> mover. It is NOT a true transit system for people
> to get around all day long. Try living in any
> other big city in America and you have a true
> PUBLIC transit system...
>

Exactly, it's strictly a rush hour people mover.

As others said, and I would have gotten to, There is no way to get around without going directly to the hubs, which makes things even more time consuming.

Regarding crime, I'm talking about springfield mall and it's immediate surrounding areas (anywhere that DC scum might venture off to). For a long while, Springfield mall was at least comparable to Fair Oaks mall and as a kid and growing up I much prefered Springfield Mall over Fair Oaks. There were good stores, etc. Now, every third store is run by a bunch of fucking hoodlums who look straight out of the gutter. I wonder to myself 'how do those places stay in business' but then I realize the client base has the never ending federal government as a bank in the form of welfare checks. I won't ever forget about 4 years ago when I was leaving springfield mall and I heard 3 worthless scumbags who should have been at school (this is around noon during school year),saying "Yo Ima get me a 45, Na fool get a 9 milly, na yall bustas is wack, U gotta get 2 glock nines". And then when me and my buddy almost died from holding in the laughter, they lookd at us and threatened to shoot us. Was I scared? Hell no, I was twice the size of them. Could they have had guns? Hell yes. That proves that point.

Next, you dumb ass DC commuters can't have things both ways. First U want virtually free transportation in and out of work. You want to work in DC where the money or job is better. But then you want to live out here in Fairfax. Why not just stay in DC? I live and work in Fairfax County... I have some issues with traffic but guess what, I DON'T WANT THE GOVERNMENT TO BUILD A METRO SO I CAN COMMUTE ACROSS TOWN. ANOTHER THIGN, GET UR LAZY ASSES UP, THERE ISNT TRAFFIC AT 6 AM..

Date: July 31, 2006 07:06PM

ps : DID YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THE COMMUTE WHEN YOU CHOSE TO LIVE WHERE YOU DO, AND CHOSE TO WORK WHERE YOU WORK?????

HAHA IF YOU DID UNDERSTAND, THEN YOU OUGHT TO DEAL WITH IT. IF YOU DIDN'T, THEN YOU ARE JUST PLAIN RETARDED

Posted by: come on folks ()
Date: July 31, 2006 07:52PM

I don't use Metro, but like somebody said....Do you want the 700,000 that do use it out on the roads with you?

We will never be able pick and choose what our tax dollars go for. I don't have kids, but I don't object to helping pay for FCPS. I do object to my taxes being thrown down the murderous rathole that is Iraq. It has always burned my ass that they almost let the Wilson Bridge fall in the river because a new one would cost so much......about a day and a half of what Iraq costs!

About Springfield Mall.....I agree it's a good place to stay away from. But what about the Pentagon City Mall....is it as bad, or worse? After all, the Metro station is even closer than it is at Springfield and the mall itself is much closer for the DC scum.

Regional shopping malls are dying nationwide anyway. Look for a bazillion townhouses to be built where Springfield Mall was.

Posted by: Tim45 ()
Date: July 31, 2006 08:09PM

I know in Alexandria the thugs would come over from DC in bunches. They would each steal a car from the metro lots and then drive back to DC to strip it clean.
I dont think they worried too much about getting caught since the odds were with them, coming over in a group and each taking their own chances.

Plus it they got caught it was maybe one or two days in jail and a chance to run across old friends and relatives.

Posted by: metroloops ()
Date: July 31, 2006 08:16PM

They should just build an outerloop of the metro underneath/alongside the capital beltway. That would take care of the "hub" dilemma!!!LOL

Posted by: George Jetson ()
Date: July 31, 2006 09:28PM

If the government would just allow hover-cars to be used, we could all just zip around to and fro wherever we want to. The technology is there and Spacely Sprockets is ready to procure a nice fat government contract to help!

Posted by: jetson...you're fired ()
Date: July 31, 2006 09:39PM

rotfl!!!!!!!!!

I think the wmat shoud take a "Jetson...you're fired approach!! w/ the new wmata director!!!!!

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: August 01, 2006 10:34AM

If I am correct, which I am often not, then metro is the only system in the US that gets about 90% of funding from its fares. So not so much of my tax money is going in to this. (some is, yes) Most other systems rely heavily on govn't money.

Where is our tax money going? I was just in FL and they had so many coast guard choppers flying around, like 30 in 20 mins. They are supposedly looking for a couple of dead divers, but they are really just burning MY tax money along with the gallons of gas. Choppers eat gas like I eat at golden corral. Like 50-150 gallons in an hour! Your car may burn 3 or 4 gallons in an hour.

Also its going to welfare. Get a fucking job.

And also to pay cops who kill kids.

Back in the 50's and 60's around here, there were plans for 3 beltways. The one we have now, one that goes roughly the route of fairfax county pkway, around DC, and one that goes about PW cnty pkway, all the way around up to fredrick and maybe baltimore (my speculation with limited info available) and annapolis. But the countys said no, we wont ever need that.

In the 70's, they had to widen the beltway from 2 LANES! Now look at us. Huge housing developments are given OK by FFX cnty and skyrocket the traffic rates. Does the county care? Hell No, they just want to keep their jobs and keep developers happy and half the county board is a developer.

Date: August 01, 2006 10:37AM

This was the "if the don't build roads the development won't happen" theory in action.

In practice, the development happened anyway.

Date: August 01, 2006 11:41AM

time goes on.

metro will expand, more highways will be built, and new housing is gonna be developed.

yet you always will have people who complain where their taxes are going.

Get it over it folks, and enjoy life!

Posted by: Adam ()
Date: August 01, 2006 03:46PM

Hahah, i parked at the vienna metro parking garage for over a week once. (on a trip to miami) I didn't have smart card or anything.So i figured once i got back my car would be gone. But to my suprise my car was still there un touched and the gates were open :) :) Free metro parking for a week!!!!

I had to park there because our cab didn't show up and we were about to miss our flight if we didn't get on the metro at that very moment.

Date: August 01, 2006 03:48PM

yeah, they donw tow, as they dont know when the car entered the lot.

Date: August 01, 2006 05:45PM

My brother was an Explorer for the Vienna Police. One time in the early 90's he did a ride-along, and the cop he was with went to Vienna metro to check out a car.

The car had been there for months and it was only then that the authorities got around to checking it out. There was a dead body almost completely rotted out but the time they go to it.

I guess the cops should have a guy go through the lot each night after the last traina nd mark cars that are sitting around. X number of marks, and your car should be checked out/towed. Amazed they don't already do this.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: August 02, 2006 02:08PM

WashingToneLocian Wrote:
> Metro is a good idea, and an extension the Dulles
> isn't a bad idea, in theory. The problem is the
> current system is running near capacity, so I have
> no idea what Metro is going to do when 50,000
> additional riders from Loudoun County and the
> Reston/Chantilly area start showing up at Metro
> Center.

I doubt that those 50,000 are going to be new riders. Most of them, myself included, either drive to Vienna and park there or take the bus to West Falls Church. We're in the system already. But you're right. They need to expand the stations and elevators through their capital campaign to accomodate riders in the next 20 to 25 years. Oh, and Economist22, you're a fuckin idiot.

Posted by: Metro is old ()
Date: August 02, 2006 03:04PM

Where are you going to park?
Metro is over capacity NOW.
Take a ride on the orange line at 5 pm, towards Vienna.

There is no parking in Vienna, those two garages are a joke.

20-25 years is when this system wont run at all, with all the people.

Expand it now. But there is no funding to expand it. So enjoy the crowds
This metro system was never designed for a large metropolitan area.
And there is no space to expand the it, trust me.

Re: Dulles Metro - Great Idea
Date: August 02, 2006 03:18PM

That is true, there is not any room to WIDEN it. However, once it is expanded ther will be more parking at Vienna b/c we wont have to drive in so far to get to it. The system was desinged for the area in the 70s, when Clifton was the biggest town in FFx.

Posted by: Eh ()
Date: August 02, 2006 03:42PM

This system was not designed properly period.
No rain covers for escalators. A/C is weak.

Only after they had tons of outages with escalators ,they decided to put rain covers. Amazing logic.

This system was weak from the start and it wont get any better.
Its slow, its crowded, and with growth of population in the area - its only gonna get worse.

Date: August 02, 2006 03:46PM

That's right. There will be more parking at Vienna since they are building 2 or 3 new garages for the Silver Line. Plus it will jack up the price of property to Arlington County Organge Line status. Which is good for a lot of people, myself included!

Date: August 02, 2006 03:48PM

when Clifton was the biggest town in FFx
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Was Clifton really the biggest town back then, is that true?

Posted by: mad max, JD ()
Date: August 02, 2006 03:48PM

To all you property speculators, Springfield was much nicer before metro.

Posted by: Eh ()
Date: August 02, 2006 03:52PM

Springfield was never a high end area people.
Springfield, Lorton, Woodbridge.
Those were always pretty much low income areas.

with or without metro.

Metro doesnt define area, people do.

Date: August 02, 2006 05:22PM

If Centreville and Springfield and Lorton are the armpit of NoVa, then Woodbridge is the sphincter.

Date: August 02, 2006 05:49PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> when Clifton was the biggest town in FFx
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Was Clifton really the biggest town back then, is
> that true?

Yep. see here

Posted by: whatev ()
Date: August 02, 2006 08:26PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> TheMeeper Wrote:
> -----
> > when Clifton was the biggest town in FFx
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > Was Clifton really the biggest town back then,
> is
> > that true?
>
>
> Yep. see here

That site doesn't specifically say that. Rather, it only states the at it was the first community to get electrical power and was the location of the Fairfax Co. Highschool. No were does it make reference to being the largest town in fairfax at anytime, nor does it make any inference to such.

Date: August 03, 2006 07:00AM

Agreed, but it was pretty cool to read that "sleepless in seattle" was written there. I used to think meg ryan was hot.

Date: August 03, 2006 11:40AM

whatev Wrote:
> That site doesn't specifically say that. Rather,
> it only states the at it was the first community
> to get electrical power and was the location of
> the Fairfax Co. Highschool. No were does it make
> reference to being the largest town in fairfax at
> anytime, nor does it make any inference to such.

Did I ever say that it did? I said "Yup." Then for further reading I put in the link. I am still looking for the page I read that on.

Date: August 03, 2006 11:42AM

> whatev Wrote:
> nor does it make any inference to
> such.

Hmm. If a place has the only high school for the county, maybe its in the place where the kids is. THerefore one could infer that that is the largest town.

Electrical power was provided to those that neeeded it. Therefore, 1 house in vienna at teh time would not get power while Clifton would.

Posted by: FrancoBolivian ()
Date: August 03, 2006 04:08PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
>
>
> Hmm. If a place has the only high school for the
> county, maybe its in the place where the kids is.

Dat der is sum gooder yoos ov gramma den Gorg Bushes "is our children learning?"

Posted by: FrancoBolivian ()
Date: August 03, 2006 04:10PM

And you work for FCPS??? I hope you don't teach English.

Date: August 03, 2006 04:41PM

In 1925, Clifton was getting power from a hydroelectric plant on Bull Run.

Apparently the remains of the plant still stand today, but the turbines were sold for scrap steel during WWII.

It's also claimed that this plant supplied power to Manassas.

I thought, however, that Manassas had it's own electric system, not shared with anyone else, and that's why to this day they still do. (They are not part of either NOVEC or Dominion Power, though of course they buy power from other electric utilities, they do have some of their own peak-load generating capacity)

The power company that supplied Clifton was sold a few times and eventually purchased by NOVEC.

Date: August 03, 2006 04:41PM

So anyhow, I think Manassas had power before Clifton did.

Date: August 03, 2006 05:44PM

FrancoBolivian Wrote:
> And you work for FCPS??? I hope you don't teach
> English.

No worries, i'm not a teacher or bus driver.

I have heard about the dam somewhere on Bull Run; I've walked portions of the train and there are places where it could be.

I've seen a Novec sign on the substation just after U-haul and sheetz

Date: August 03, 2006 06:58PM

That substation is for Manassas Park and north of 28, I believe.

Manassas City runs their own electric company (you may recall hearing about the Broadband Power Line stuff they're doing).

Date: August 03, 2006 07:06PM

I had a few customers when I was working for dell that had Powerco Broadband. Truly awful.

Posted by: heliwbva ()
Date: August 03, 2006 07:43PM

who cares about those dumb hick towns anyway?

Date: August 03, 2006 10:09PM

I would think that Fairfax would have been the biggest city/town in Fairfax County. Or maybe Vienna....or Herndon. All are older and larger.

And I think high schools are a relatively recent phenomenon.....how could kids have gotten to Clifton from all over the county in horse and buggy days? Most communities prolly had one room schoolhouses for K-12....

Date: August 03, 2006 10:13PM

What's the biggest "town" nowadays? I think it's Annandale?

Date: August 03, 2006 10:55PM

I think Annandale is just an unincorporated area of FFX Co. The only incorporated towns I can think of are: Clifton, Vienna, and Herndon....are there any others?

Posted by: FrancoB ()
Date: August 03, 2006 11:55PM

come on folks Wrote:
> I think Annandale is just an unincorporated area
> of FFX Co. The only incorporated towns I can
> think of are: Clifton, Vienna, and Herndon....are
> there any others?

Fairfax City and Falls Church

Date: August 04, 2006 12:07AM

Those are cities.

Cities have their own school systems, towns do not, I also believe that cities maintain their own streets and traffic signals, towns do not.

Date: August 04, 2006 12:53AM

I thought you meant incoprated areas whish cities are also. Fairfax City does not have their own schools.

Date: August 04, 2006 08:49AM

Date: August 04, 2006 08:55AM

Interestingly, they entered into a contract with FCPS to manage their schools:

Before the City of Fairfax became an independent city, it was a town in Fairfax County and the schools were part of the Fairfax County Public School (FCPS) system. When the town moved to City Status in 1961, state law required that a local school board be organized to govern the schools. A contract was entered into with FCPS to continue to manage and operate the schools; the City School Board oversees this contract and is responsible for the management of the school facilities owned by the City.

“The contract has been in effect for nearly 50 years and continues to be a successful joint venture between the City and the County for school services,” says City of Fairfax Schools Superintendent George Stepp. “The City School Board retains ownership of our school buildings and oversees the implementation of the contract. The relationship works well for our community. Students benefit from being part of one of the top county school districts in the country - plus they receive additional resources from the City.”

Date: August 04, 2006 10:22AM

Yep, Ffx HS and Lanier MS both have huge theatres b/c of city funding.

Back in the 50's, most of the county was undeveloped, and farms. Centreville was a bunch of farm land, vienna barely existed, and places like Fairfax city were in the middle of nowhere.

When Cville HS was built in the late 80s, it was in the middle of nowhere, and vienna was getting bigger as well, b/c they trucked the asbestos-laden dirt from the building of the foundation to the Nutley street/I-66 interchange which was just being built and needed fill dirt.

Date: August 04, 2006 11:45AM

its still a fucking countryside :)

Posted by: 3345 ()
Date: August 04, 2006 12:35PM

Annandale should be renamed to Mexagookdale.

Date: August 04, 2006 01:57PM

Embrace the diversity

Date: August 04, 2006 02:24PM

hahaha

too late for that

Date: August 05, 2006 08:32PM

brianl703 Wrote:
> Sure they do:
>
> http://www.fairfaxva.gov/school/School.asp

Brian you never cease to amaze me. I was saying that although Falls Church and Fairfax are cities, Falls Church is the only one with its own school system
( i.e. Falls Church Public Schools). Yes Fairfax City does have a Highschool, Fairfax High, but it is part of the Fairfax Public School System.

Date: August 05, 2006 08:34PM

pardon me, I meant Fairfax County Public School system

Date: August 05, 2006 08:44PM

Would you agree that the defining characteristics of a school system (or district) are that they have a school board, and a Superintendent, and own school buildings?

If so, then Fairfax City has it's own school system.

They own the buildings, they have their own school board (separate from that of Fairfax County's), and they have their own Superintendent.

Yes, they pay FCPS to manage their buildings for them, but legally, it is a separate school system, or district, as required by Virginia law for cities.

Date: August 05, 2006 08:51PM

Incidentally, in other states, the school district is it's own entity with taxation powers, and is not tied to a specific county or town/city. It can be, but there is no legal requirement for it.

In Virginia, school districts are funding via a revenue-sharing agreement with the city or county that they "belong" to. That means the city/county collects the property taxes and agrees to give some percentage of it (around 65% seems to be typical) to the school.

In the other states, the school district, if it wants more money than what they currently get based on property values, has to put any tax rate increases up for referendum.

In Virginia, if they want more money, they just need to kiss the ass of city council or the board of county supervisors.

Date: August 05, 2006 09:02PM

Ok Brian you win the battle of semantics. Fairfax City owns the their schools, has a school board, and a Superintendent. Their schools however are run and administered by Fairfax County Public Schools pursuant to a contractual aggreement. That is Fairfax County controls and runs everything, they just have to run it by Fairfax City and get the o.k.

Date: August 05, 2006 09:09PM

It's not semantics--it's the law.

Posted by: WRongwrongwrong ()
Date: March 01, 2016 01:28AM

Looks like you were wrong.

Posted by: Yummy yummy ()
Date: April 19, 2018 04:53PM

I heard they're putting an Arthur Treacher's at the Dulles stop.

Posted by: No more metro ()
Date: April 19, 2018 05:22PM

Nigger metro-losing money since day 1.
Within 5 years, Americans will own one car and use it sparingly. The preferred method of travel? No one will. Everything will be done online. Why do you think ups and fed ex bought the first Tesla automated semis? Legacy benefits and pensions are sinking those companies.
Keep voting for politicians that know ZERO about commuting. Vote for great people like dr McCabe! She sucks a mean cock now that hubby is indicted!

Posted by: Big deal ()
Date: April 19, 2018 08:24PM

Metro has been the backbone of economic growth and progress in the region.

Posted by: U rite! U rite! ()
Date: April 20, 2018 07:07AM

Big deal Wrote:
> Metro has been the backbone of economic growth and
> progress in the region.

Spoken like a true nigger!
“We’s Aints been profitable since day 1, but We’s the ‘backbone.’
Lol
Just like obama had “community organizer” as his experience!
Wake up fool!

Posted by: beltwaymetro ()
Date: April 20, 2018 09:01AM

A metro along the beltway sounds Like a good idea.

Posted by: Raising the dead ()
Date: April 20, 2018 09:12AM

Metro is a public entity. Its purpose is to provide a service, not to gouge people for profits. Meanwhile, the availability of transit has been central to the growth of the urban core and to expansion of edge cities and the suburbs. Only a fucking stupid person would be unaware of that, but it does sound like you might indeed be one of those.

Posted by: STEWMAC ()
Date: April 20, 2018 10:28AM

Metro fucking rules. The DC Streetcar and the faggotron Purple Line are ass-sucking loser machines.

Eat a dick.

Posted by: Make way ()
Date: April 20, 2018 10:34AM

DC streetcar is inevitable. Delays only increase the eventual costs.

Posted by: No vision at all ()
Date: April 24, 2018 09:25AM

The stupid part about Metro to Dulles was caving to TEA Party cheapskates and putting the Dulles station above ground. It should have been underground on the airport side of the parking lots, as had originally been approved. Leave it to right-wing dumbfucks to screw stuff up.

Posted by: Bad karma ()
Date: April 27, 2018 12:30PM

A city's airport should make a statement other than "We were too cheap to do this the right way."

Posted by: People are dumb ()
Date: April 28, 2018 12:07PM

Make way Wrote:
> DC streetcar is inevitable. Delays only increase
> the eventual costs.

This is probably true. The fis-cons will throw up enough delays to make things very costly though.

Posted by: Jupiter ()
Date: April 28, 2018 12:51PM

Whenever someone needs to resort to spewing profanity in their attempt to make some sort of point, it is obvious they have no idea what they are prattling on about. See Subject. Too bad that you couldn't learn how to express yourself with clarity instead of profanity.

Posted by: Vision ()
Date: April 28, 2018 12:53PM

No vision at all Wrote:
> The stupid part about Metro to Dulles was caving
> to TEA Party cheapskates and putting the Dulles
> station above ground. It should have been
> underground on the airport side of the parking
> lots, as had originally been approved. Leave it
> to right-wing dumbfucks to screw stuff up.

Huh? You actually want to spend hundreds of millions of dollars from someone else's money just because you aren't able to ride a moving walkway for a few feet? The walk from the metro will be shorter than most parking spaces in the garage AND shorter from the air train to your gate in the United terminal. Get informed.

Posted by: JJL ()
Date: April 28, 2018 01:05PM

The Economist22 Wrote:
Also, I can smoke a cig in my
> car, I cannot smoke inside the train, or even at
> an outdoor station. The bathrooms in metro are
> also very inconvienent.

You are stupid, naive, and foolish enough to smoke cigarettes and you're trying to lecture anyone on anything! That's cute. Keep smoking, I need dividends paid by you! Tobacco Sucker. At least now we know why you can't make it a few hundred feet on a moving walkway. Does your COPD/emphysema oxygen tank have wheels?

> I've missed last trains in
> the past because of the bathroom being a mile
> away, and also that the schedules are incredibly
> inconsistent. Certain nights they run last train a
> few minutes before or after. And it's always
> early.

I thought you didn't ride metro, how would you miss a train on a metro system you don't ride?

>
> The public transportation system in NOVA sucks bad
> as a whole too. The bus routes are terrible, and
> most are simply commuter buses that do not run
> past 9 at night or on weekends. This totally
> defeats the purpose of taking the metro in the
> first place because I would do that to avoid
> driving drunk. If I have to drive from springfield
> to my house, I might as well just drive all the
> way home.

So Metro sucks because you still can't stop your drinking problem. Try a 12 step program or intervention to get your life back on track, and you won't have to rely on alcohol to function at night or the weekends. Maybe you can try exercise too so you can walk up to 100 feet.

>
> Now that we've established the fact that metro
> sucks for the average Fairfax County Resident,
> Let's move on to metro's repurcussions on the area
> affected. Springfield mall has become a TOTAL
> SHITHOLE ever since the metro opened up. I
> remember when I was like 15 years old and

Yeah it's so terrible in Springfield "Town Center," as mall rent is quite high, the restaurants have hours long waits and the stores are full of shoppers at the cash registers.

> I was in
> Fairfax JDC (yes I had a few brushes with the law
> growing up)

Gee, you are convicted criminal? You don't say. Let's all follow your opinions and experience. Hope you learned not to drop the soap.

Posted by: You asked for it ()
Date: April 28, 2018 01:24PM

Jupiter Wrote:
> Whenever someone needs to resort to spewing
> profanity in their attempt to make some sort of
> point, it is obvious they have no idea what they
> are prattling on about. See Subject. Too bad
> that you couldn't learn how to express yourself
> with clarity instead of profanity.

Go fuck yourself, asshole.

Posted by: In the real world... ()
Date: April 28, 2018 01:35PM

Vision Wrote:
> No vision at all Wrote:
> -----
> > The stupid part about Metro to Dulles was caving to
> > TEA Party cheapskates and putting the Dulles
> > station above ground. It should have been
> > underground on the airport side of the parking
> > lots, as had originally been approved. Leave
> > it to right-wing dumbfucks to screw stuff up.
>
> Huh? You actually want to spend hundreds of
> millions of dollars from someone else's money just
> because you aren't able to ride a moving walkway
> for a few feet? The walk from the metro will be
> shorter than most parking spaces in the garage AND
> shorter from the air train to your gate in the
> United terminal. Get informed.

Here’s informed: The underground location had been approved on multiple occasions. Then the dumbass TEA Party morons fucked things up. You would have exited into the terminal proper. Now you have to ride down with your luggage to reach some means of getting to where you should have been to start out with. This saved peanuts over 50 years. Just plain stupid.

Posted by: Springfield Ghost Towne Centre ()
Date: April 28, 2018 01:42PM

JJL Wrote:

>
> Yeah it's so terrible in Springfield "Town
> Center," as mall rent is quite high,

Yes.

> the restaurants have hours long waits

Yes.

> and the stores are full of shoppers at the cash registers.

No. The stores are like a ghost town.

Posted by: formermetrorider ()
Date: April 28, 2018 02:43PM

Metro was good the first 15 years and had gotton progessively worse since then.

Lack of connecting buses, expensive/inadaquate parking, over loaded trains that run intermittetly...

The only reason it is being expanded is that it benifits real estate developers in the areas around the metro stations.

Posted by: Transfer please ()
Date: April 28, 2018 03:20PM

formermetrorider Wrote:

> Lack of connecting buses...

Waiting for and riding a bus is a no go from the get go.

Metro is useless unless you live within easy walking distance of a station.

Posted by: Karla Cohen ()
Date: April 28, 2018 03:23PM

In the real world... Wrote:
> Vision Wrote:
> -----
> > No vision at all Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > The stupid part about Metro to Dulles was
> caving to
> > > TEA Party cheapskates and putting the Dulles
> > > station above ground. It should have been
> > > underground on the airport side of the
> parking
> > > lots, as had originally been approved. Leave
> > > it to right-wing dumbfucks to screw stuff up.
> >
> > Huh? You actually want to spend hundreds of
> > millions of dollars from someone else's money
> just
> > because you aren't able to ride a moving
> walkway
> > for a few feet? The walk from the metro will
> be
> > shorter than most parking spaces in the garage
> AND
> > shorter from the air train to your gate in the
> > United terminal. Get informed.
>
> Here’s informed: The underground location had
> been approved on multiple occasions. Then the
> dumbass TEA Party morons fucked things up. You
> would have exited into the terminal proper. Now
> you have to ride down with your luggage to reach
> some means of getting to where you should have
> been to start out with. This saved peanuts over 50
> years. Just plain stupid.

Absolutely Wrong. The extra cost was over $330 Million additional expense to save a 90 second "walk" on moving walkways. The actual walk distance between the Air Train to your United gate is much longer, and that walk has no moving walkways. It would have been cheaper to buy every Dulles traveler a Rolls Royce.

The "approval" to build an overpriced underground station was by the Airport Authority, which "approved" Loudoun County, Fairfax County, and toll road drivers to pay the $330 million extra cost, which likely would have increased by now due to other delays, steel price increases, and bond cost increases. Faced with no money to pay for this luxury, they later approved the project being built.

If you have $330 million dollars to hand over, I'm sure MWAA would be happy to cash your check.

Posted by: J1 ()
Date: April 28, 2018 03:24PM

Transfer please Wrote:
> formermetrorider Wrote:
> -----
>
> > Lack of connecting buses...
>
>
> Waiting for and riding a bus is a no go from the
> get go.
>
> Metro is useless unless you live within easy
> walking distance of a station.

Useless. Right. That's why all of the Fairfax Connector buses, Metro buses, and Metro parking lots are empty every single day.

Posted by: Jeff X ()
Date: April 28, 2018 03:26PM

Springfield Ghost Towne Centre Wrote:
> JJL Wrote:
> -----
>
> >
> > Yeah it's so terrible in Springfield "Town
> > Center," as mall rent is quite high,
>
> Yes.
>
> > the restaurants have hours long waits
>
> Yes.
>
> > and the stores are full of shoppers at the cash
> registers.
>
>
> No. The stores are like a ghost town.

They weren't a ghost town last night. Lots of shoppers. Even busier in the summer weekends and in Christmas season.

Posted by: In the real world... ()
Date: April 28, 2018 04:44PM

$330 million amortized over 50 years = peanuts. Cheap-ass losers should not have had a role to play here.

Posted by: Busrida ()
Date: April 28, 2018 04:58PM

J1 Wrote:
> Transfer please Wrote:
> -----
> > formermetrorider Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> >
> > > Lack of connecting buses...
> >
> >
> > Waiting for and riding a bus is a no go from
> the
> > get go.
> >
> > Metro is useless unless you live within easy
> > walking distance of a station.
>
> Useless. Right. That's why all of the Fairfax
> Connector buses, Metro buses, and Metro parking
> lots are empty every single day.

It's a hurting show for brown socked drones with no alternative. If you've ever done it, then you'd know how bad it sucks.

Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.