HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
help!
Posted by: oblivious ()
Date: July 30, 2006 01:51AM

is it illegal to temporarily have a license from one state and a vehicle registered in another?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: help!
Date: July 30, 2006 01:52AM

car is registered fairfax but i have an out of state license

Posted by: MrDoctor ()
Date: July 30, 2006 02:14AM

u have to contact dmx 30 days after moving

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: July 30, 2006 02:20AM

what the hell is some rapper going to do for him? You might as well contact Outkast or MC Hammer if that's the route you are going to take.

Date: July 30, 2006 02:36AM

i know that but i just moved out of va. got my new lic. yesterday. until i get the the car reg. am i breaking the law? is there stating you can't have a car registered in state u don't have a license from?

Date: July 30, 2006 02:37AM

can i wait a month or 2 until my va registration expires?

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: July 30, 2006 11:59AM

oblivious Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> can i wait a month or 2 until my va registration
> expires?

is it worth risking one of those "oh... i didnt have time to do it" lame ass excuses in traffic court? i have a feeling you will be there.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: come on folks ()
Date: July 30, 2006 03:03PM

Most states have rules requiring that a new resident change their driver license and vehicle registration within a certain period of time...like 30 days. You don't have to both at the same time as long as you do both within the time limit set by law.

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: July 30, 2006 03:17PM

I went a year on out-of-state plates. It's not a big deal. If you get pulled over or ticketed, it's like $25 (or it was a few years ago). I would suggest not spending the time or money on the switch if you don't have to.

Date: July 30, 2006 03:19PM

Case in point, most military people I know have out-of-state plates, because the registration costs are usually cheaper in places like Wyoming. Like I said before, I wouldn't sweat it. It will be treated like a parking ticket if anyone even bothers you about it.

Posted by: Shanks ()
Date: July 30, 2006 03:47PM

Shanks Guys, but does anyone know if it is illegal to have my car reg. in va and have another state's driver's license (while out of state)? I know this is redundant. but thanks!

Posted by: Lurker ()
Date: July 30, 2006 03:55PM

You don't have to contact dmx, pdiddy or any other rappers. Mchammer might know some tricks due to his background however.

My answer is no, it is not illegal to drive a car registered in another State, but that car has to be reigstered to a valid address and person in another State.

Your car and drivers license are not directly related. However, if you are the registered owner of a car in FFX you must keep the car current on insurance, taxes and tags to maintain a good drivers license. If you don't pay insurance, the insurance company will contact the DMV and DMV will give 90 days to show insurance before they suspend your license. Unless you declare the car garaged and return the tags to DMV. But you still have to pay taxes on a garaged car.

Failure to pay property taxes on the car for a year and FFX county will put a hold on your license at DMV and DMV will not renew it until you pay the full tax.

You can have a VA drivers license in Virginia without owning a car, but you must show at time of receiving a VA license a car to DMV that has valid taxes, reistration, tags, insurance and valid inspection sticker.

Posted by: Fairfax MF-er ()
Date: July 30, 2006 03:55PM

They aren't going to throw you in jail or anything, if that is what you are asking.

Posted by: Lurtke ()
Date: July 30, 2006 04:05PM

Oh and FYI - your name does not have to appear on the insurance for a car. DMV doesn't check your license to see if it is insured on some car policy. Car's must be insured, not the driver.

Posted by: ob ()
Date: July 30, 2006 04:10PM

"My answer is no, it is not illegal to drive a car registered in another State,
but that car has to be reigstered to a valid address and person in another State."

Can the car be registered to min va while i'm in out of state w/ out of state license?

The car is reg. me in va. but i'm temporarily out of state. I got the out-of- state license because they require it within 10 days, but my car reg. in va is good untl dec., at which time i'll probably be back in va.

If this is illegal... what would happen...susp,points, or just a ticket/fine

Date: July 30, 2006 05:53PM

ob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "My answer is no, it is not illegal to drive a car
> registered in another State,
> but that car has to be reigstered to a valid
> address and person in another State."
>
> Can the car be registered to min va while i'm in
> out of state w/ out of state license?
>
> The car is reg. me in va. but i'm temporarily out
> of state. I got the out-of- state license because
> they require it within 10 days, but my car reg. in
> va is good untl dec., at which time i'll probably
> be back in va.
>
> If this is illegal... what would
> happen...susp,points, or just a ticket/fine

Okay. If it is this much of a fucking problem, switch over the plates. Damn. You must be a joy to live with.

Posted by: Lurker ()
Date: July 30, 2006 07:27PM

I think your still ok with having a car registered in FFX county. However, since you got a license in another State that means your VA license is now void. You should now check the laws in the State you have the license in as to how long you can drive a car there without of State tags. And whne you return to VA you need to get a VA license again. If you are in the military or gainfully employed for only six months you can get and exception from DMV.

FYI - It is 60 days before you have to register your change of address and you can do it online if DMV has a digital picture of you in their system. They'll send you a correct license in the mail at your new address.

Personally I wouldn't of got a license in the place if your only going to be there for a couple of months. Not worth the hassle and I've never seen or heard of anybody convicted for failure to change their address. Usually it's just a mean look and a small lecture if youget caught.

Posted by: brianl703 ()
Date: July 31, 2006 10:58AM

Military people are allowed to keep the plates from their home state.

Years ago one of my neighbors actually had plates from the UK on their car. He was military.

Posted by: § ()
Date: July 31, 2006 11:26AM

"Chall gonna make me lose my LICENSE.....up in here...UP IN HERE!" UNH. -§

Posted by: ONE LAST TIME... OBLIVIOUSLY ()
Date: July 31, 2006 02:31PM

"My answer is no, it is not illegal to drive a car
> registered in another State,
> but that car has to be reigstered to a valid
> address and person in another State."

CAN THAT ANSWER BE ME IN ANOTHER STATE w/ different state license?

Posted by: choices ()
Date: March 26, 2017 04:07PM

NO INFO 4 U

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.