HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Father DeCelles declares war on the FCPS system
Posted by: Red trumps black ()
Date: July 09, 2015 09:15PM

Cardinal Wuerl: Same-sex marriage ruling is ‘law of the land’

By Jamie Forzato | @jamieforzato
July 5, 2015 9:35 am

WASHINGTON — The District’s top Catholic leader has weighed in on the Supreme Court’s decision to legalize same-sex marriage.

“The law of the land is the law of the land,” says Archbishop of Washington Cardinal Donald Wuerl. “We certainly follow what the law says. That doesn’t mean we change the word of God. That doesn’t mean we change the scriptures, or the church’s millennia-long tradition of what marriage is.”

Everyone is welcome to the faith, Wuerl says: “Nobody is turned away because of their sexual identity, because of their race because of their ethnic background. And are we not all struggling to live the gospel?”

The Catholic church teaching will not change, but Cardinal Wuerl says Pope Francis has been more inclusive.

“He keeps saying, ‘Go out. Go out and meet people where they are. And in that encounter, walk with them, accompany them,'” Wuerl continues. “I think that’s what the church is saying. We all need to walk together as we try to make our way closer and closer to God.”

Churches across the country are divided over same-sex marriage. According to a recent Pew Research Center poll, 56 percent of Catholics support same-sex marriage, while 55 percent of Protestants do not. Eighty-five percent of religiously unaffiliated people support gay marriage.

Follow @WTOP on Twitter and WTOP on Facebook.

© 2015 WTOP. All Rights Reserved.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Yj9CK ()
Date: July 09, 2015 09:19PM

Logic Fail Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yj9CK - nice mind meld!

Right!

Posted by: Cardinal trumps priest ()
Date: July 10, 2015 08:12AM

“The law of the land is the law of the land,” says Archbishop of Washington Cardinal Donald Wuerl. “We certainly follow what the law says. That doesn’t mean we change the word of God. That doesn’t mean we change the scriptures, or the church’s millennia-long tradition of what marriage is.”

From: http://wtop.com/dc/2015/07/cardinal-wuerl-sex-marriage-ruling-law-land/

Wuerl also said in the same article “[Pope Francis] keeps saying, ‘Go out. Go out and meet people where they are. And in that encounter, walk with them, accompany them,'” Wuerl continues. “I think that’s what the church is saying. We all need to walk together as we try to make our way closer and closer to God.”

DeCelles needs a little schooling, but it probably wouldn't stick

Posted by: Comment: Red Trumps Black ()
Date: July 10, 2015 08:14AM

Well done!! Father DeCelles wouldn't last a day as a church pastor under Cardinal Wuerl.

Posted by: Trump double-post ()
Date: July 10, 2015 08:19AM

Sorry for the double-post...trying to correct copyright problem

Posted by: cannot wait ()
Date: July 10, 2015 02:01PM

for this weeks homily.

Posted by: Heal Thyself ()
Date: July 10, 2015 03:58PM

Where does the church find screwballs like DeCelles? He actually believes that the more people hate him the more righteous he is. And he must be feeling pretty righteous because there are plenty that hate him. What a complete dope. As dumb as the numb skull Bishop L. Two hate mongerors!

Posted by: Sins of Sodom ()
Date: July 10, 2015 04:13PM

Maybe Fr. DeCelles will address Boosterthon's Sodomite roots via Brett Trapp and Alpha Tau Omega.

Perhaps fire will rain down on Brett Trapp the sodomite and Chris Carneal the false prophet. NO good men will be found in Boosterthon, Fr. DeCelles will decry them as despoilers of children and describe their eternal agony in the lake of fire, far from the carnal pleasures of PTA moms in Atlanta.

Posted by: Catholic no more ()
Date: July 10, 2015 04:59PM

Given the staggering number of pedophile priests, the cover up shenanigans that went all the way to the Vatican, the stomach churning revelations of large scale child abuse that recently emerged from Ireland & Australia, the horror stories of abuse in Catholic institutions which will surly soon emerge from South American & African countries (where freedom of the of the press is suppressed)... One would think that Fr. DeCelles should focus on his own institution before critiquing others!!

Posted by: Judas (Priest) ()
Date: July 10, 2015 09:06PM

Well done "Catholic no more" or should I use a common church phrase "bingo!". The best defense is a good offense. Father DeCelles brought his over flowing sack of rocks to the "He who is without sin" stone throwing contest. Beware the person (or priest) praying the loudest in church for there you'll find the fox that was in the chicken coop. You gotta another thing comin'

Posted by: DeCellesSellsDaFaith ()
Date: July 10, 2015 09:56PM

Decelles is calling it like it is. If you don't like it don't go to his church, simple as that.

The church stands behind him or he would have been removed. So if you don't like what he is saying find another church, because they obviously stand behind him - and last time I checked that was Cardinal Weurl too because he is catholic and belongs to the same body. Weurl isn't going to cave on gay marriage or abortion EVER!

Idiots with the same pefophilia talk are not focusing on the issue of this thread. It's what fcps is doing thst should concern you, so debate that if you want.

Posted by: The Church Militant ()
Date: July 11, 2015 10:52AM

Fr. DeCelles should put the emails of the FCPS leaders in the Church Bulletin and encourage parishioners to contact not only them but also the clueless members of the Board of Supervisors.

He should encourage his parishioners to use their vote to change the composition of the school board and board of supervisors. He should encourage his parishioners to DEMAND the IMMEDIATE termination, for cause, of Garza's contract, as she is immoral and incompetent.

Posted by: questionablechange ()
Date: July 11, 2015 04:02PM

He does encourage that and that's fine. It's a different thing to encourage parents to take their kids out of the public school. That isn't a practical solution for most families and you can't take every catholic kid out of every school in this country.

I like what he says, it's his delivery that needs some work.

Posted by: Vatican Duh ()
Date: July 11, 2015 10:07PM

DeCellesSellsDaFaith Wrote:
> Decelles is calling it like it is. If you don't
> like it don't go to his church, simple as that.
>
> The church stands behind him or he would have been
> removed. So if you don't like what he is saying
> find another church, because they obviously stand
> behind him - and last time I checked that was
> Cardinal Weurl too because he is catholic and
> belongs to the same body. Weurl isn't going to
> cave on gay marriage or abortion EVER!
>
> Idiots with the same pefophilia talk are not
> focusing on the issue of this thread. It's what
> fcps is doing thst should concern you, so debate
> that if you want.

He was removed from another parish after many complaints and some of his really dumb words and deeds and sent off to Saint Raymond's. The parishoners there haven't complained enough or are not big enough donors. You can bet donations to that parish are down, though.

Date: July 12, 2015 10:26AM

Yes, collection is definitely down, as is attendance. I don't think many have complained at all, they just left to go to another parish. If most people are flexible with their schedules, it's possible to never go to his Mass and maybe people don't read his bulletin letters.

He has 3 years left of this 7 year pastor term.

Posted by: CaliforniaDeCellares ()
Date: July 13, 2015 09:33PM

Four more years! Four more years! Actually his message is good but his delivery can turn some people off. Very dramatic but he's passionate.

Posted by: Judgment Day ()
Date: July 13, 2015 10:44PM

He is a hate filled person delivering bucket load after bucket load of manure joyfully consumed by people who like his kind of stuff. He is everything a priest shouldn't be. He is lost and I pray for him.

Posted by: sane ()
Date: July 13, 2015 11:50PM

St. Raymond's and sad Wrote:
> Please read Father DeCelle's June 21, 2015, letter
> to parishioners contained in this weeks church's
> bulletin. After declaring that diminishing
> fatherhood results in increased domestic violence
> (yikes), he goes on to attack the FCPS system,
> resulting in the question: What century are we are
> living in? Perhaps this would play well in his
> home town of San Antonio, but here I am simply
> ashamed.

I see nothing in his letter to be ashamed of. Seems like what's actually happening in society pretty much proves him correct. Preach away, Father.

Posted by: Judgement Day ()
Date: July 14, 2015 12:36AM

Save yourself and pray for the wayward priest! He is unable to heal himself as his hatred has fully consumed him. It's the devil's work and he is blinded by self righteousness to see that Lucifer is using him as a tool. Pray for him.

Posted by: Questionablechange ()
Date: July 14, 2015 08:45PM

yes, message is good but not delivery! Unfortunately, we will miss the good homilies because we will avoid for awhile and can't trust what he will talk about!

Posted by: mark j ()
Date: July 14, 2015 11:15PM

If you don't like him, go to another church..it's that simple.
quite your whinin' about him already....geesh..go get a job or a life or something..
how about adding prayer to your lifes?
shocked?

Posted by: Long Gone ()
Date: July 15, 2015 09:17AM

At least a thousand people have transferred, based on a loss of 247 families since DeCelles arrived. As for being silent regarding his bigotry, look at the comments of St. Mary's parishioners who were forced to listen to his hatred before his transfer to St. Raymonds. No. the world is entitled to know who is preaching to them, and their troubling pasts.

Posted by: Correct, I think ()
Date: July 15, 2015 12:58PM

That sounds about right. Roughly 10 percent: many in the first year, a few later when the Youth Group leaders were "dismissed."

Posted by: 6513occ ()
Date: July 15, 2015 02:07PM

questionablechange Wrote:
> Yes, collection is definitely down, as is
> attendance. I don't think many have complained at
> all, they just left to go to another parish. If
> most people are flexible with their schedules,
> it's possible to never go to his Mass and maybe
> people don't read his bulletin letters.
>
> He has 3 years left of this 7 year pastor term.

Yeah, that's just not true. Parish is in the best financial health it's ever been. It is constantly packed.

I apologize for those who have left St. Raymond's beacuase it doesn't leave them feeling all warm and fuzzy inside... sorry your feelings were hurt when you realized the teachings of the Catholic Church don't conform with your life :*( ........ I'm sure the martyors of the Church felt the same way...

Posted by: mark j ()
Date: July 15, 2015 06:15PM

Well, "long gone" where are the comments from St Mary's parishioners?

Posted by: Viva Papa Frank ()
Date: July 15, 2015 07:02PM

mark j Wrote:
> Well, "long gone" where are the comments from St
> Mary's parishioners?

Here's one. I was at St Mary's when DeCelles was there. Boy, were we thankful to get rid of him! I have never seen a priest call out individual people at Mass for having crying babies or for not paying enough attention to him. I hope he gets the help he needs and will pray for those at St Raymond's.

This is not about theology. DeCelles is just not emotionally equipped for the job. FCPS just seems to be the latest target for his anger.

Posted by: Mark j comment ()
Date: July 16, 2015 08:18AM

Another St. Mary's parishioner here. No tears were shed when Father DeCelles was transferred. It was highly uncomfortable to sit in the pews and have the family in front you criticized from the pulpit for having a squirming baby. He has absolutely no people skills, which I believe is essential for good pastoral care.

Date: July 16, 2015 02:12PM

Again, we have no issues with the teachings of the church or what he's preaching about...it's the delivery. The teachings of the catholic church agree with our life, we are talking about one priest and the way he comes across to people. It is pretty uncomfortable still to sit in the pews and not know what he will say. I think he's gotten better at pastoral care. One on one, he's great and he's great in confession. You can see him trying to relate to the parishioners and the kids and maybe even have a laugh once in awhile. He just doesn't have the temperament for being a pastor.

If the financial situation is so good, why a campaign in January to enourage people to up their weekly contribution? I think the overall contributions are down since he came although maybe the financial state is better because he's an accountant by trade and knows how to budget.

Posted by: Money Matters ()
Date: July 16, 2015 02:54PM

Actual contributions have been flat after a 15 percent decrease in his first year. Since the parish was, and is, aggressive in prepaying its mortgage obligations, we remain nicely afloat. I stay, as many old-time volunteers have, but remain concerned about the continued stories regarding his abrasive nature...including the old tale of children leaving the confessional in tears (that one is true.....I know).

An Old St. Marys alum...now St. Ray's (and longing for the days of Fr. Hendricks)

Posted by: You Go Girl ()
Date: July 17, 2015 04:03PM

Ah - Father Hendricks. Now there was a priest to look forward to talking to on Sundays.

Posted by: kGDj9 ()
Date: July 17, 2015 05:38PM

Off topic a bit, I'm a parishioner at St. Catherine's in Great Falls. Sounds like Fr. DeCelles is a bit like our pastor, who is the most joyless priest I think I'ver ever seen. I've lived in a lot of places, and always just went to my local parish. I travel a lot and see a lot of different Catholic churches. I've never "shopped", that is until I moved to Great Falls. Mass is downright depressing, and it should be the exact opposite. The Diocese really needs to look at who it puts into parish roles - a lot of these priests would be happier as monks versus dealing with the messy, noisy life of parish families. So many seem so unsuited to dealing with people.

Posted by: Agreed ()
Date: July 19, 2015 04:04PM

Agreed

Posted by: St. Peter Damian ()
Date: July 19, 2015 04:11PM

Sodomites and sodomite enablers--get thee to a confessional or tell your story walking.

There's nothing "compassionate" about lying to people who's behavior is leading them to Hell

Posted by: Agreed ()
Date: August 13, 2015 12:36PM

He's at it again. This week is a ban and condemnation of anyone who has the audacity to attend and/or celebrate a non traditional wedding.

Posted by: seems about right ()
Date: August 13, 2015 12:57PM

Agreed Wrote:
> He's at it again. This week is a ban and
> condemnation of anyone who has the audacity to
> attend and/or celebrate a non traditional wedding.

3QN

Posted by: Trad ()
Date: August 13, 2015 03:19PM

Agreed Wrote:
> He's at it again. This week is a ban and
> condemnation of anyone who has the audacity to
> attend and/or celebrate a non traditional wedding.

Do you mean "gay" wedding? Non-traditional could include any number of situations (e.g., a wedding on the beach is non-traditional and would require Catholics to obtain permission from their bishop).

Here's what Fr. de Celles wrote (minus some formatting):

A second question, again from Kelly, but this time to Governor John Kasich, was also wo1th noting. But this time it's the answer that was problematic. To a question about "same-sex marriage" Kasich replied: ".../ happen to believe in traditional marriage. But I've also said the court has ruled...and l said we'll accept it. And guess what, I just went to a wedding of a friend of mine who happens to be gay. Because somebody doesn't think the way I do, doesn't mean that I can't care about them or can't love them. So if one of my daughters happened to be that, of course l would love them and I would accept them. Because you know what? That's what we're taught when we have strong faith."

Where do I begin? First, he says, "the court has ruled ...and I said we'll accept it." Well, I won 't accept it. It is the law, but it's an unjust immoral law, and it must be fought and changed. The court once said blacks did not have human rights and it still says that you can kill unborn babies: did/do we "accept" that?

Second, we should absolutely never go to so called "gay weddi ngs" because they celebrate immoral relationships and acts, as well as a desecration of marriage. We can love someone without going to their "wedding," but we cannot go to their "wedding" without sending the message that we celebrate/approve what they are doing. In fact, if we really love someone who suffers from same-sex attraction we should kindly and respectfully inform them we cannot support what they are doing, even though we won't stop loving them and being there for them. Same-sex "marriage" (as well as SS sexual acts) is/are bad for the persons and society. We cannot love someone and celebrate them hurting themselves and others.

Third, that's not "what we're taught when we have strong faith." This just another example of the distortion of our faith that people use to try to justify their sins. Our faith tells us to "love our neighbor," but loving someone doesn't mean we have to "accept" the things they do that are sinful and bad for them or others. Last Wednesday we read at Mass Jesus' instruction to correct sinners, first in private, then in public. And He concludes, "If he refuses to listen ... treat him as you would a Gentile or a tax collector" -- in other words, completely avoid them. I'm not saying we should completely avoid people with same-sex attraction, but we should completely avoid celebrations of their same-sex attraction, e.g., so called "gay weddings."

Posted by: With Sympathy ()
Date: August 13, 2015 09:03PM

kGDj9 Wrote:
> Off topic a bit, I'm a parishioner at St.
> Catherine's in Great Falls. Sounds like Fr.
> DeCelles is a bit like our pastor, who is the most
> joyless priest I think I'ver ever seen. I've
> lived in a lot of places, and always just went to
> my local parish. I travel a lot and see a lot of
> different Catholic churches. I've never "shopped",
> that is until I moved to Great Falls. Mass is
> downright depressing, and it should be the exact
> opposite. The Diocese really needs to look at who
> it puts into parish roles - a lot of these priests
> would be happier as monks versus dealing with the
> messy, noisy life of parish families. So many
> seem so unsuited to dealing with people.

Welcome to the worst diocese in America. I just stopped going to Mass altogether after trying the "shopping" strategy.

The only uplifting parish in the area is St. Francis of Assisi all the way down in Triangle near Quantico. The church property is owned by the diocese, but the priests come from the Order of Friars Minor, not diocesan. If you are up for a drive, try it. You'll like it there. I just can't drive that far every Sunday.

Posted by: ClearAsDay ()
Date: August 13, 2015 09:08PM

I don't see any hatred here in his words. He's explining his position clearly and "this" happens to be the Churh's position as well. My priest wouldn't allow me to go to a gay wedding either. So if this is all you got on him...big deal!

Instead of focusing on the Pope's statements on the environment and cherry picking trying to distort his views and make him look like a liberal, look at what HE says about gay martiage and compare it to what DeCelles said. Its very similar in tone and doesn't condemn anyone, just says you can't be part of that if Catholic. Thats all.

And as to fighting unjust laws, I guess we should have just accepted slavery or phohibition. You have to elect officials thst will make good laws and undo stupid ones.

Posted by: No Sympathy ()
Date: August 13, 2015 09:13PM

The Church Militant Wrote:
> Fr. DeCelles should put the emails of the FCPS
> leaders in the Church Bulletin and encourage
> parishioners to contact not only them but also the
> clueless members of the Board of Supervisors.
>
> He should encourage his parishioners to use their
> vote to change the composition of the school board
> and board of supervisors. He should encourage his
> parishioners to DEMAND the IMMEDIATE termination,
> for cause, of Garza's contract, as she is immoral
> and incompetent.

Quit the fucking politics from the pulpit. People have to listen to this bullshit everywhere else they go. We have listen to it on Sunday at Mass, too? Is there no peace anywhere?

"ideologcal colonisiation" and "Disfigures God's plan for creation"
Posted by: Footballfan ()
Date: August 13, 2015 09:18PM

He's just defending traditionsl marriage. Pope said:

Late last year that preserving the family as an institution based on marriage between a man and a woman is not a political cause but a matter of “human ecology”, as “children have the right to grow up in a family with a father and mother capable of creating a suitable environment for the child’s development and emotional maturity”.

Earlier this year, in the Philippines, he said that efforts to redefine marriage were a form of “ideological colonisation” resulting from confusing presentations of sexuality and marriage, which threaten to “disfigure God’s plan for Creation”.

- See more at: http://irishcatholic.ie/article/same-sex-marriage-debate-5#.dpuf

So if you are looking for Catholic church that buys into gay martiage...keep on driving. It is NOT just one parish or one priest.

Re: "ideologcal colonisiation" and "Disfigures God's plan for creation"
Posted by: T Jefferson ()
Date: August 14, 2015 04:31PM

DeCelles just can't seem to separate Church and state. He would fit right in with ISIS. Thank God for the First Amendment. ;)

Posted by: Siggy Freud ()
Date: August 14, 2015 04:43PM

Fr. DECelles is clearly gay. His anti-gay crusading is reminiscent of Marcus Bachmann's.

Posted by: JustTheFactsMaam ()
Date: August 14, 2015 09:07PM

Just the opposite. He's calling for people to NOT be part of the state school system if they don't teach the right values. Total separation of church and state. Give to Ceasar...

Posted by: DeCelles is out there ()
Date: August 14, 2015 09:17PM

JustTheFactsMaam Wrote:
> Just the opposite. He's calling for people to NOT
> be part of the state school system if they don't
> teach the right values. Total separation of church
> and state. Give to Ceasar...

Just the opposite. He's commenting on the Republican debates about who gets government issued pieces of paper. That's Caesar's business. DeCelles needs to stick to church business. Unless, of course, he wants to pay taxes.

Posted by: NotConcerned ()
Date: August 15, 2015 10:55PM

By bashing him so much you are making people want go go see his homilies. Thanks! Will drive up his collections too by making him a martyr!

Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.