HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
WJFK Continues to Slide
Posted by: Fairfax MF-er ()
Date: July 21, 2006 02:51PM

Arbitrons are out, and WJFK has slipped from #15 to #16, following its glory days as a Top-5'er when it had Howard Stern...

http://www.dcrtv.com/

...The management at JFK needs to move The Junkies from morning drive to Mid-day and O&A from Mid-day to morning drive. Why? Because whoever replaces the management currently in charge at JFK will do that their first day.

Look at it this way. WJFK has gone from a fun format talker aimed at 30-somethings to a Sports/Political talker. Both Sports and Political Talk (ala Bill O'Reilly, not WTOP) are AM cellar-dweller formats in most markets. The Junkies have a sports show, plain and simple. That is what the talk about 99.9% of the time, and 99.9% of the audience doesn't want to hear it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WJFK Continues to Slide
Posted by: Dude ()
Date: July 21, 2006 02:56PM

eh,
i am suprised WJFK is still on the air.
I would have pulled the plug years ago and started from scratch

Posted by: WJFK=Titanic ()
Date: July 21, 2006 05:27PM

The station in general is still sinking, but Don and Mike in PM drive are apparently doing better as they are back up to #4 in their time slot. (We don't need to revisit the trite argument about whether you like D&M or not. That is not the point to this post.) Besides D&M, there really isn't any reason to think that they would get ratings.

Here's a question for you: How many people have 106.7 set on their car radio preset buttons? I'll bet not many.

Posted by: The Economist22 ()
Date: July 21, 2006 05:30PM

I stopped listening to the O reilly factor during lunch time because a couple times when I was all excited to listen to it at 12 it wasn't on.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: July 21, 2006 05:57PM

Hey, Don and Mike bitched me out on the air for some ridiculous amount of time last year, and I STILL kept 106.7 as a preset. I have never driven a car in this area that did not have that on the presets.

How often do I hit that preset button is more the issue. I find myself forgetting certain shows have changed or gone away so I will still hit it, be disappointed by the show that actually IS on, and then change the station.

Posted by: WJFK=Titanic ()
Date: July 21, 2006 08:43PM

RESton Peace has a preset, so there's one. I asked it the way I did because with the lineup that has been put out there on JFK over the past few years, I suspect that a lot of people have just removed them altogether from their usual lineup of go-to stations. There are plenty of radio stations to choose from around here without resorting to some mish-mash of shows. Junkies to O&A to political hack O'Reilly to D&M to Penn Jilette to political hack Severin to God knows what in the overnight. It's a station with no direction or clear focus. How can you expect to draw an audience with that lineup???

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: July 21, 2006 10:02PM

I have it on pre-set in my car. I usually tune over to the Junkies every day during my morning commute, maybe give D&M a listen a few times a month on my afternoon drive. And sometimes I like to listen to Goss's garage on the weekend if I'm driving.

It's still a go-to station for me, but I listen to alot less WJFK ever since Stern moved to satellite.

Posted by: Fairfax MF-er ()
Date: July 22, 2006 10:47AM

I have it on my pre-set, but listen much less, especially in the morning. I'll flip over to The Junkies and they will be fine for 5 minutes then they will start in on some ponderous sports shit (Maryland Nighthawks,anyone?) and I have to flip to Elliot or WTOP. Middays are a total cluster fuck. I don't like O'Reilly, but for those who do, where the hell is his show now? And Penn Gillette is a great comedian/magician, but he sucks on the radio. I heard him bashing George Harrison one day. Who the fuck bashes George Harrison?? He's like the only Beatle everybody liked. What a douchebag. Jay Severin is a fucking joke. His claim to fame is being a consultant to a failed presidential campaign. Other than that, I'm not sure what he is quailfied to discuss.

Posted by: Scott ()
Date: July 22, 2006 12:52PM

I have it as a pre-set. Always listen to the Junkies in the AM. They are the only good thing on then. Have always listened to D&M. Stopped listening to Howard years ago when all he would do is complain how he cant play fart sounds. I have tried listening to O&A but just cant get into their show.

Date: July 23, 2006 08:36PM

the O'reilly factor got pushed back 1-3 pm I'm guessing because the website advertises it at that time. but after I click on the Factor link on the WJFK website (which by the way is super lame), it says 12-2.

Posted by: slkdfdsalk ()
Date: July 24, 2006 02:09AM

FUCK WJFK...HOWARD STERN RULES OVER ON SIRIUS. I AM HEARING IT NOW..ALL YOU LOSERS THAT LISTEN TO FM SUCK BIG BALLS

Posted by: Is That Right? ()
Date: July 24, 2006 07:55AM

slkdfdsalk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> FUCK WJFK...HOWARD STERN RULES OVER ON SIRIUS. I
> AM HEARING IT NOW..ALL YOU LOSERS THAT LISTEN TO
> FM SUCK BIG BALLS

Huh. Isn't that something. Thanks for adding to the discussion. Now run along before I tell your mommy about the type of language that you are using on the internet. I'd hate for you to get a bar of Lifebuoy in your mouth for that!

Posted by: yes it is ()
Date: July 25, 2006 02:47AM

i see that you are loser that still has to listen to FM radio. What a fag

Posted by: stinkypoon ()
Date: July 25, 2006 02:14PM

As much as I would like to hear Howard once a week (which is aboust as much as I can tolerate), I wouldn't give into getting Sirius just to hear him and put myself in the crowd of his obsessed, pathetic fan base. Hasn't he had a rant or two that not enough of his listeners have switched over, calling them sell-outs? Well, in addition to being a sell-out, I take comfort in knowing I can download his shows any time without one cent going to him or Sirius=)

To the previous poster, I'm the loser that listens to what he wants and doesn't have to pay for it.

Date: July 25, 2006 03:06PM

Paid radio.

LOL

Only in this country do people actually pay for radio.

Date: July 25, 2006 11:43PM

Only this country calls itself the land of the free, where it really isn't free at all. it's bullshit they ever forced him off the air, what the fuck is this country really comming to

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: July 26, 2006 07:24AM

Stern was not forced off the air. He made a business and personal decision to change to what in his view was a better working environment.

An "Dude," I wish they did not call satellite radio "radio"... sure they are both audio-only, but there is tons more content on Sirius/XM than you can get in a typical broadcast market. I too wondered if it would be worth $13/month but it has been. If I crack up even once per trip to and from work from either stern's show or raw dog comedy, that alone makes the commute better at about thirty cents a pop. Throw in the ability to switch over to various news channels and almost every music genre available and it is a good deal.

Date: July 26, 2006 09:15AM

This satelite thing is gonna be around until they figure out how to mainstream the hacks for it.

They have done it for satelite tv.

Posted by: mad max, JD ()
Date: July 26, 2006 10:51AM

When's portable satellite tv coming? That interests me much more than radio.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: July 26, 2006 12:38PM

I don't think I have ever heard anyone mention portable satellite TV, but now that you mention it that would be cool. But what would people pay for it? Satellite doesn't work well when the receiver is indoors, so outdoor viewing would be what would have to sell. I don't think outdoor TV viewing would sell. Maybe "mobile" satellite TV so you could feed a TV signal onto screens for kids and passengers, but many already hack this their own way. Just go to FedEx field before a Skins game and you will see lots of people with their dishes set up.

Date: July 26, 2006 01:06PM

Dish Network announced it last year.
Not sure when its gonna go on sale.

Posted by: fucc ()
Date: November 22, 2011 08:05PM

mad max, JD Wrote:
> When's portable satellite tv coming? That
> interests me much more than radio.

feb 2012

Posted by: New Broadcastin' ()
Date: November 22, 2011 08:15PM

from TLC. It would increase their ratings and funny as hell

Posted by: Doug Tracht ()
Date: November 22, 2011 08:27PM

Hobba-do Gee!!!!!! What about me?!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Andrew Ryan ()
Date: November 22, 2011 09:08PM

Doug, I can'nae wait to see the look on your FAAAAAAAAAAA-ice!!!! POOOOOIC-DA

Posted by: TheNorthman ()
Date: November 23, 2011 07:41AM

As much shit as Lavar gets I still prefer him over Mike Wise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2011 07:41AM by TheNorthman.

Posted by: Could be worse ()
Date: November 23, 2011 08:39AM

TheNorthman Wrote:
> As much shit as Lavar gets I still prefer him over
> Mike Wise.

Same here.

Considering Mike Wise is a huge d-bag liberal I'm surprised he even watches sports. But I still like him better than Tony Kornheiser or his race-baiting sidekick Mike Wilbon.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.