HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Liz Rhein leaving Willow Springs Elementary
Posted by: FCPS is a better place ()
Date: June 17, 2015 08:59PM

The FCPS School board finally did the right thing.

Liz Rhein's sudden resignation as principal of Willow Springs Elementary, the last week of schoo, marks the end of an era of one of FCPS' most abominable administration's. AP Beth Levy aka "the poison pen" is also gone.

Too bad so many teacher's mental health, psyches, self-esteem, and careers were ruined at the hands of these two women. A real shame to say the least.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Liz Rhein leaving Willow Springs Elementary
Posted by: And ()
Date: June 17, 2015 10:31PM

Who is taking her place?

Posted by: juanvaldez ()
Date: June 18, 2015 09:23AM

The system will be trying a new concept in school administration. They will establish a committee of the whiniest, bitchiest parents to run the school. These are the ones who think they know it all anyway and have always felt free to tell teachers and administrators how to do their jobs. We'll see how this works out.

Posted by: Gaithaus Rode ()
Date: June 18, 2015 10:04AM

And Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who is taking her place?

Marie Lemmon

Posted by: Missy please hit the play button ()
Date: June 18, 2015 11:24AM

juanvaldez Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The system will be trying a new concept in school
> administration. They will establish a committee
> of the whiniest, bitchiest parents to run the
> school. These are the ones who think they know it
> all anyway and have always felt free to tell
> teachers and administrators how to do their jobs.
> We'll see how this works out.

As long as the parent can operate a dvd player, the learning will continue.

Posted by: juanvaldez ()
Date: June 18, 2015 12:00PM

Sounds like you will be a perfect member of this committee.

Posted by: j4WmC ()
Date: June 18, 2015 02:15PM

Missy please hit the play button Wrote:

> As long as the parent can operate a dvd player,
> the learning will continue.

You are correct! (I agree).

Posted by: Happy Teacher ()
Date: July 19, 2015 10:26PM

Liz, was hired without any real input the stakeholders just like a few other schools Linda Burke's cluster of schools. I was at a meeting with her and a lots of parents then she said " I am the one that makes the final decision and I will listen to your input but my mind is already made up." We had about 90 parents show up to that meeting and the next one only about 5 parents. Linda Burke hired the a awful administrator and turnover was high.

Education in U.S. has turned into comparing U.S. to mostly homogeneous non U.S. cultures. U.S. is probably the most diverse population globally. Test results which educators seem to be more accountable for are the basis for driving changes (which are usually repackaged older ideas, not necessarily "New & Improved". It seems we are becoming more of a culture of tee ball players with no winners and losers, everyone just feels good. Education starts at home and impacts efforts in education outside of home. I believe it is the educators job to create a safe environment to learn and present subject in the most interesting/challenging way possible. Educators cannot be responsible for outside the home influences, just create the best positive/supportive in school experience possible. It takes years to hone skills and a continuous effort to share/ borrow great ideas from other educators.... observe other teachers who you value and integrate good things.... let someone you trust observe you and offer suggestions. Educators have been the brunt of blame for "test scores"... I believe there are many other factors outside the the 6-7 hrs/day, leaving 75% of the students day influenced by "out of school" factors

Administrations react to the pressure by giving 50% grades for 0-50% efforts, then spin why this is being done. Society is not served if everyone is "given" a pass.

Posted by: BarbFin ()
Date: July 25, 2015 05:57PM

Administrators, like teachers, have a lot on their plates. Teachers get frustrated and disappointed when their administrators cannot effectively attend to their problems. Understandable, but perhaps not realistic, for teachers to treat administrators that way.

But the administrators have to remember that the teachers help them look good. Eagle View lives in the biggest glass house of them all... Dr. Granada decided to go after a teacher who actually cares about the students in that ED program. Its was so very disappointing to see him just being emotional abused by both Sandy and Patty.

Posted by: Dynetque ()
Date: August 04, 2015 12:30AM

Perhaps teachers should have a role in evaluating their principals. A number of poor ratings would not necessarily mean that the principal is incompetent or a tyrant, but they would show that there is an unhealthy situation at the school that needs to be changed. Lack of trust between a principal and his/her teachers cannot serve students well.

Posted by: Globaul ()
Date: August 04, 2015 06:18PM

FCPS school board policy prevents bullying in the workplace, but teachers are reluctant to report when the bully is their boss.

Victims understand the power structure and the preferential treatment their “model Principal” receives from upper management, and they are afraid to complain.

Bully Principals have long-term effects on schools throughout a District. Supervisory Officers need solid training on how to recognize when leadership has gone wrong. Teachers need a safe method of reporting bullying, without fear of retribution.

Posted by: EER is no help ()
Date: August 04, 2015 06:45PM

Unfortunately, there is no place for teachers to get support from bullying from either the Assistant Principal or Principal. If you are recommended for non-renewal a teacher has no recourse in FCPS. Even the teacher

Posted by: No teacher protection ()
Date: August 04, 2015 06:48PM

I just read on one of the threads here that the FCPS Department of Equity and Employee Relations is run by 3 lawyers including the Director, Kevin Sills.

Kevin and his department will actually hold it against a teacher if they contact their dept about a legitimate issue regarding unfair and unethical practices by administration. There is absolutely NO PLACE within FCPS that teachers can go to get protection from vindictive administrators, get proactive guidance, or seek professional help.There is only so much our teacher associations can do. For a school district this size, it is unfathomable that there is no standards and policies put in place for teacher protection. Sadly, the EER staff will never advocate for the teachers. It makes sense now that the EER team is comprised of attorneys with the facade of being there to "help" employees. Just another mousetrap for FCPS teachers.

Posted by: Abetterway ()
Date: January 07, 2016 11:19AM

The power afforded to these two without proper and professional oversite is a complete disgrace to FCPS management. The lack of higher admin action shows their approval of the actions taken.

Posted by: Frustration at times ()
Date: January 09, 2016 12:54PM

Teaching isn't for everyone though. I think because everyone has gone though the school system as students, watching their teachers, they think they can do it too, I heard of a statistic that something like half of new teachers quit within the first five years. I believe it too. But why do people think that teachers are the enemy. I have to say the way teachers are treated in some schools makes me realize that times has changed.

Posted by: Horraymoni ()
Date: January 11, 2016 01:44AM

The rapid teacher turnover starts at the top at any school. A parent brought up Eagle View Elementary School and the staff turnover was related to inadequate leadership.

For example, look at what happened last school year, they pushed out a special education resource teacher who really was dedicated to his students. The vast majority of their teachers are hard-working, committed and competent, and we all know that school principals can target teachers for personal reasons. The last five years the turnover rate at both Willow Springs and Eagle View Elementary School has been significant.

I heard that the resource teacher stood up and disagree with how the special education center was operating. Another Eagle View teacher shared " He was politically the polar opposite of the principal and he was targeted." There is nothing worse than leaders who are rigid and closed minded about anything other than their own ideas.

Here's my advice: if you are a probationary teacher... stay quiet until you are under continuing contract then you can advocate for students.

Posted by: Ponghitech ()
Date: January 28, 2016 12:53PM

Here is my best advice to all the teachers and staff that did get screwed by office of Equity and Employee Relations (EER) within Fairfax County Public Schools due to the principals....

I firmly believe in what comes around goes around. The best revenge is to live well. Let God take care of the rest!

Posted by: FCPS EER is unethical ()
Date: January 28, 2016 03:41PM

I agree about FCPS' Office of Equity and Employee Relations (EER) run by Mr. Kevin Sills. Whatever you do as a teacher, if you are being treated unfairly and unethically by administration, DO NOT CALL EER! They will use this to sabotage your career at FCPS and help the abusing principals get you out.

The teachers' unions, although not great, are your best first step. The FEA is much better than the FCFT.

Kevin Sills who is the director of the FCPS EER is an attorney and will ALWAYS side with administration and quietly work with them to oust teachers. The office onlyl "appears" to be an office for employee relations. How awful is that??!!

Posted by: whatif ()
Date: March 09, 2016 02:10PM

How about when a teacher feels bullied, threatened, treated unfair, an AP misusing admin authority...... this teachers goes to the principal and explains the issue and need. The principal replies, "Get tough". Enough to destroy a person.

Posted by: Chubin ()
Date: June 20, 2016 12:45AM

Teacher job satisfaction is at an all-time low and it doesn't make it easier to work for a principal that is unethical and has a bad reputation.

When you apply for a new job, there's a good chance the hiring manager isn't just evaluating your credentials — he's also probably considering the reputation of top leaders of your school or place of employment.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.