HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Zeroes
Posted by: Ed-You-K8-ER ()
Date: June 03, 2015 08:28AM

As surreal as it is, many FCPS high schools are debating whether or not to give kids zeroes. This, to me, makes zero sense ( and I mean zero, NOT fifty percent). Something that doesn't get turned in is not half done. You don't get half credit for nothing. If I walked into a store, tried to buy something and offered zero for it, I would get what?
The debate centers around this- how does a kid recover from a grade of zero? Hmmm, well, how about not GETTING a zero in the first place? That would certainly be one way to avoid the issue. Or, after you get one zero, not getting another would certainly help that recovery.
We have reached a very dangerous point: unlimited make ups, no zeroes, inflated grades, have combined to make an already entitled generation even more entitled, and they and we will ultimately pay the price for it. I was recently told that a kid who has a 504 (still not entirely certain what those are) is allowed to make up any assignment that they don't turn in at ANY TIME, even if the wording of the plan explicitly states that kids an turn work in late at the teacher's discretion. That means that to stay competitive every kid should get a 504. If certain kids are allowed to turn in whatever they want whenever they want, and the teacher has no say about it, how is that fair to the other kids who may be diligently doing their work.
How much sense does this make? Zero

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Zeroes
Posted by: It all ends in tears ()
Date: June 03, 2015 10:20AM

Give them all As, trophies, gold stars, and commendations from Karen Garza.

They won't get into Harvard. They won't get into Virginia Tech. They won't get into Liberty or Regent. They *might* get into the University of Northern Virginia (if it still exists).

They probably won't get into vocational school.

So where does that leave them? Unable, even, to get a job at Cutco, Vector Marketing, or Zerin.

The legacy of FCPS will be turf fields and transgender bathrooms. Oh, and, of course, a lot of checks written to Menville "Flip" Flippen and Eric Jensen (for all the good it did).

Re: Zeroes
Posted by: Dean Wormer ()
Date: June 03, 2015 11:00AM

Dean Vernon Wormer: Here are your grade point avarages. Mr. Kroger: two C's, two D's and an F. That's a 1.2. Congratulations, Kroger. You're at the top of the Delta pledge class. Mr. Dorfman?
Flounder: [drunk] Hello!
Dean Vernon Wormer: 0.2... Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son. Mr. Hoover, president of Delta house? 1.6; four C's and an F. A fine example you set! Daniel Simpson Day... HAS no grade point average. All courses incomplete. Mr. Blu...
[sees Bluto with a pair of pencils in his nostrils]
Dean Vernon Wormer: Mr. Blutarsky... zero... point... zero.
[Bluto shrugs]

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.