HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Anyone ever escalate real estate assessment appeal to BOE, and how'd it go
Posted by: pennypincher ()
Date: May 22, 2015 10:05PM

The Board of Equalization to which you may escalate the appeal of your real estate assessment is supposed to be independent...I feel that I have a good case under a uniformity appeal but want to know if it's just a kangaroo court or not.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone ever escalate real estate assessment appeal to BOE, and how'd it go
Posted by: Good question... ()
Date: May 22, 2015 10:34PM

I'm getting fucked over too on my primary and a few rentals I own. Appealed and no luck on any of the appeals. I have had some rentals listed for sale at under the assessed value with no luck. It's fucking bullshit, they send me "comparables" yet they are comparing my crappy rentals with nice completely renovated homes. Just because the bed/bath count are the same doesn't mean it's worth the same amount. Some people spend $50k in renovations and spend thousands more staging the house, in addition they pay all closing costs which makes the price seem higher than it really is.

Posted by: succeeded ()
Date: May 23, 2015 06:51AM

I appealed several years ago and got 90K dropped from my assessment based on comparables in the region. They will come and do an in person appraisal. They also lowered assessments for several other houses on my street as well.

Posted by: nigs gonna nog ()
Date: May 23, 2015 06:55AM

Just tell them you're black. That will drop the price and they may recommend you for financial assistance.

Posted by: mJWkx ()
Date: May 23, 2015 07:05AM

When they call you in to speak with you in person, just paint your face black. That might even get a write-up in the local paper.

Posted by: home owner. ()
Date: May 23, 2015 08:31AM

A black family in the neighborhood immediately drops property value. If they move in next door, you might as well foreclose.

Posted by: jtHnX ()
Date: May 23, 2015 12:49PM

WRONG - they are delaying you hoping you'll loose time and be unable to file a lawsuit

-------------------
Fairfax County Government assesses your real-estate. You have to quickly mediate it with them and if that fails (and noting who caused failure), you take Fairfax County Government to court.

That is what the laws say.

-------------------
car / auto EXAMPLE for the dimwitted

a well known dealer rips you off. Fairfax County Gov (who knows the rich political poeple who own the dealerships) tell you to file a complaint with the Agriculture Deptartment.

(this is not a made up story: this has happened hundreds or thousands of times confirmed)

These people get bullshitted for months. When they finally learn they must take the dealership to court: the fairfax county courts say "sorry you filed too late"

and "sorry we are not responsible for poor legal advice"

that's how this town does business

exactly as you'd expect criminals to "do business"

Posted by: YMXTn ()
Date: May 23, 2015 12:52PM

now a question: what do you do if you have a legitimate dispute

fairfax county refuses to mediate

fairfax county skips court

fairfax county puts the full ammount to credit agencies and files leins against you even though they know full well they've skipped the legal process

then what would You do?

Posted by: What I would do? ()
Date: May 23, 2015 12:53PM

> then what would You do?

I would call up or send a PM to my buddy svennestle, I know he has lots of experience in dealing with the courts around here.

Posted by: data ()
Date: May 24, 2015 10:19AM

I wiuld like to see how many property owners challenge and win. it would be telling how accurate the assessments are.

Posted by: pennypincher ()
Date: October 25, 2015 08:55PM

Have my answer now. Waste of time to appeal a residential real estate assessment up to the Board of Equalization. BOE sides with the Fairfax County Real Estate Assessors office. No incentive to reduce a residential assessment and have to make up the revenue elsewhere. Homeowner has no recourse anyway, except a legal suit.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.