HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
what will Metro Silver Line(rail to Dulles Airport) underground tunnel construction do to the traffic in Tysons Corner area?
Posted by: SantaPants ()
Date: July 19, 2006 02:35PM

what will Metro Silver Line(rail to Dulles Airport) underground tunnel
construction do to the traffic in Tysons Corner area?

also... after it's completed in 4 or 5 years, will there be more or less
vehicle traffic?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what will Metro Silver Line(rail to Dulles Airport) underground tunnel construction do to the traffic in Tysons Corner area?
Posted by: mad max, JD ()
Date: July 19, 2006 02:39PM

You ask a lot of questions.

Re: what will Metro Silver Line(rail to Dulles Airport) underground tunnel construction do to the traffic in Tysons Corner area?
Posted by: Dude ()
Date: July 19, 2006 02:43PM

4-5 years?
You are one positive dude.

Posted by: Silver Line ()
Date: July 19, 2006 02:58PM

Date: July 19, 2006 03:04PM

yes, I have seen the maps. They dont mean shit to me.
I can draw you 20 vector maps.

I want to see some ground breaking

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: July 19, 2006 07:35PM

here here. I have no doubt that they COULD have a station in tysons within three years, but no fucking chance. This area is too divided socially, politically, and most importantly, econmically. All we will see from the project anytime soon is fighting and delays.

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: July 22, 2006 01:22PM

They should have gone with the Rapid Bus thing, like they did in Brazil. It will take forever to build the rail. In addition, just think of all the volume this is going to add to the system? It's already like a friggin' meat locker on the Metro as his. Finally, why the fuck aren't they extending the Orange Line to Centreville or the Blue Line to Lorton? Huh? HUH???

Date: July 22, 2006 02:36PM

all valid questions

and we still haven't talked about how all that bullshit has to share one tunnel to go under the potomac, causing delays that will only increase as the system increases.

They need to dig another few tunnels under the pot.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: July 22, 2006 02:41PM

i enjoy how they crash into each other on occasion. :)

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: July 22, 2006 04:25PM

I live a few blocks from the proposed "Tysons East" station and although it'll be convenient to live closer to the Metro, I can't imagine what the heck the traffic mess will look like then. Route 123 between the Beltway and Great Falls Road is already one big fuggin' mess during morning and evening rush hours. A few years ago they widened this stretch of 123, re-timed the lights, and added a few turn lanes- did that help ease things? Heck no, it only added more traffic. Adding a station here, and then another station right up the road near the malls will only bring a hell of alot more cars onto the road. If they spent money to make Tysons more pedestrian friendly, that might help the traffic situation, but adding rail alone will not.

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: July 22, 2006 05:03PM

The trade off will be even more obnoxious people at Tysons 1.

Posted by: Kev ()
Date: July 31, 2006 10:18PM

The Tyson's impact will be most significant. Traffic will not decrease because developers will just build more. It's a dream for them.

If you had the forethought to buy property near PROPOSED metro spots, you are rich today.

Date: July 31, 2006 11:11PM

If you had the forethought to buy property near PROPOSED metro spots, you are rich today.

That is not a true statement.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: August 02, 2006 02:19PM

WashingToneLocian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They should have gone with the Rapid Bus thing,
> like they did in Brazil. It will take forever to
> build the rail. In addition, just think of all the
> volume this is going to add to the system? It's
> already like a friggin' meat locker on the Metro
> as his. Finally, why the fuck aren't they
> extending the Orange Line to Centreville or the
> Blue Line to Lorton? Huh? HUH???

They're not extending it to those armpits because only douchebags live there. The money is in the Dulles Corridor, son. Wake up and smell the fuckin' coffe.

Date: August 02, 2006 03:06PM

oh common.
How is reston and herndon different from Centreville.

This area is all middle class, and its all the same.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: August 02, 2006 03:09PM

Hey ASSWIPE, I live in CVILLe. SO THAT MAKES me a GODDAMN FUCKING DOUCHEBAG HUH? There ARE fucking plans to put the DAMN metro out to those 'armpits' retard. Read the fucking paper. In fact, why don'y you fucking wake up and smell your very shitty instant coffee. theres just no goddamn money to put it there beacuse the money is going to the cops so they can fucking find your goddamn dog. The mexicans used to live in some apartments by Cville library, but those are condemned right now while they fucking get people in there to tear them down and build luxury townhouses. The mexicans and other douches are in springfield, DC, and Alexandria and Vienna. What a tard.

and, FYI, the money was in the Dulles corridor back in the late 90's. AOL and other huge corporations got in there, and now make a shitload of money. And one of the founders of AOL lives in Cville/Clifton. I know him. But he's a douche, right?

Posted by: § ()
Date: August 02, 2006 03:28PM

Simma.

Down.

Now.

Date: August 02, 2006 03:41PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> Hey ASSWIPE, I live in CVILLe. SO THAT MAKES me a
> GODDAMN FUCKING DOUCHEBAG HUH?

Yeah pretty much.

Posted by: KeepOnDoucheing ()
Date: August 02, 2006 04:53PM

KeepOnDoucheing is a ignorant, racist, hillbilly!!!!!!!!!!!;)

Posted by: stinkypoon ()
Date: August 02, 2006 05:02PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> Hey ASSWIPE, I live in CVILLe. SO THAT MAKES me a
> GODDAMN FUCKING DOUCHEBAG HUH? There ARE fucking
> plans to put the DAMN metro out to those 'armpits'
> retard. Read the fucking paper. In fact, why don'y
> you fucking wake up and smell your very shitty
> instant coffee. theres just no goddamn money to
> put it there beacuse the money is going to the
> cops so they can fucking find your goddamn dog.
> The mexicans used to live in some apartments by
> Cville library, but those are condemned right now
> while they fucking get people in there to tear
> them down and build luxury townhouses. The
> mexicans and other douches are in springfield, DC,
> and Alexandria and Vienna. What a tard.
>
> and, FYI, the money was in the Dulles corridor
> back in the late 90's. AOL and other huge
> corporations got in there, and now make a shitload
> of money. And one of the founders of AOL lives in
> Cville/Clifton. I know him. But he's a douche,
> right?

wow somebody must have peed in your shitty coffee, didn't they? i wouldn't even have thought of centreville as a douche town until you posted that, you psychotic forum screamer.

Date: August 02, 2006 05:17PM

cville.jpg

Date: August 02, 2006 05:20PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
>

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: MEEPISDASHIT ()
Date: August 02, 2006 05:30PM

LOL

Date: August 02, 2006 05:40PM

Nah I just got a bit pissed off b/c he's insulting my place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2006 05:40PM by KeepOnTruckin.

Date: August 02, 2006 05:50PM

Man I'm so going to stop telling people "My mailing address is clifton, but the area I live in is Centreville"

From now on I am just "From Clifton".

Date: August 02, 2006 05:52PM

For what it's worth, back in the nineties I lived in Cville for about 10 months, and I liked it there. It was far from being an "armpit" (ever been to the Pittsburgh or Cleveland burbs???) And the people there were no different than other places I've lived (Falls Church, Vienna, McLean). Some sweeping generalization that one town contains more douchebags than another is simply off the mark.

Date: August 04, 2006 06:57PM

Back to at least part of the original point of this thread, I read in the paper today they want to do a double-deck type of tunnel.

Posted by: KeepOnDrinkin' ()
Date: August 04, 2006 08:01PM

QUESTION: How will Metro Silver Line(rail to Dulles Airport) underground tunnel

construction affect the Tysons Corner area?

ANSWER: It will keep rednecks like KeepOnTruckin' from living in Tysons!!!

Date: August 04, 2006 08:56PM

Redneck!?!?!?

What's the deal recently? Ive been getting called all these names. It seems I am a hick, I live in hick-ville, I am a racist redneck...

Posted by: francob ()
Date: August 04, 2006 09:15PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> Redneck!?!?!?
>
> What's the deal recently? Ive been getting called
> all these names. It seems I am a hick, I live in
> hick-ville, I am a racist redneck...

Because that is the way you portray yourself (ie. your perjorative and xenophobic remarks)

Posted by: SickOfMetroCongestion ()
Date: August 17, 2006 10:38AM

The real question is, what the hell are they going to do with all the extra traffic along the orange line corridor before Foggy Bottom/GWU? It's already packed to capacity, and they admitted that no more trains can be run through than are right now (something like 17/hour? that was the justification for the 8 car trains). So how are they going to handle what promises to be a fairly high-traffic line (correct me if i'm wrong, but it looks like they're just merging the lines a la Rosslyn) on top of pre-existing traffic? let alone expansions to orange and blue lines, should that happen?

Not complaining, I'm assuming that someone is thinking this through - but what are they proposing to do to avoid this being a complete charlie-fox?

Date: August 17, 2006 10:56AM

system was not designed for such a fucking population growth.

there is nothing really they can do.
Tunnels are only that long, and trains can only cover so much.

This area was never designed to be a large metropolitan center.

Posted by: trekroner ()
Date: August 17, 2006 11:40AM

Dude Wrote:
> system was not designed for such a fucking
> population growth.

Exactly--neither were the roads. Yet they kept building these shitbox condos and townhouse developments, bringing scores of new families with 3 and 4-car households to the area.

Posted by: brianl703 ()
Date: August 17, 2006 12:01PM

'shitbox condos and townhouse developments'

Apparently, that's "Smart Growth".

Posted by: john q ()
Date: August 17, 2006 12:38PM

Metro should alleviate the traffic problems around Tysons. But, my question is: what the hell is going to happen to traffic while they're digging that damned tunnel? The dirt has to do somewhere. There are going to have to be trucks and crews all along the new line.

Date: August 17, 2006 05:06PM

No way they'll do a cut and cover (dig big hole in gorund, put in subway, fill it back up) THey're lookking at getting some huge machine from Europe to bore it its called a Tunnel boring machine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnel_boring_machine

Posted by: FRANCOB ()
Date: August 17, 2006 05:51PM

supposedly the silver line is going to be its own line that runs parallel to the orange line all the way to station armor

Date: August 18, 2006 12:11AM

Metro is not going to solve the commute issue.
This area developes way to quickly for any public transportation to catch up or even to keep up with the growth.

They would have to do a combination of systems to move everyone.
Metro, light rail, more busses.

And as we all know - metro is pretty much at its capacity now.
I ride it daily, and I can tell you - its getting worse.
System wide delays is a CONSTANT ISSUE.
Even the platforms cant handle all the public.

The only solution I see - build more office parks out west off centreville and manassas and shorten peoples commute.

They can easily build an office area a size of Reston towncenter, right off 50 in the middleburg area.

Date: August 18, 2006 12:16AM

Telecommuting is a possible answer. Unfortunately, it isn't widely accepted by many employers.

Date: August 18, 2006 12:19AM

I remember working for a large gov. contractor.
they hated telecomutting because they cant track hours billed.

Basicly people would bill 20 hours working at home, but nothing was completed.

LOL

Date: August 18, 2006 01:04AM

It's a lot easier to track call-taking jobs... numerous jobs in this area merely involve taking calls all day... those jobs could be moved to telecommute and tracking them would be simple.

Posted by: trekroner ()
Date: August 18, 2006 01:10AM

Telecommuting rocks. I used to lose over an hour driving less than 20 miles in the mornings, and could never be on time anyway. That's an extra hour of productivity at my disposal working from home--and more in the evenings, because I don't have to deal with the even worse commute home.

I actually do more work now that I work from home, but it doesn't feel like it.

As long as people have a good ISP and capable equipment to do their jobs, there's no reason why telecommuting can't be a viable option in the future for those who can take advantage of it.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: August 18, 2006 05:17PM

trekroner Wrote:
> there's no reason why
> telecommuting can't be a viable option in the
> future for those who can take advantage of it.

it hasnt really taken off because people dont want to do it or atleast all the time. humans are social animals, they like to be... social.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: August 18, 2006 06:26PM

And bosses like to see that chairs are being kept warm during the day.

Posted by: looking back ()
Date: June 09, 2014 05:14PM

Traffic was unaffected during the whole process.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.