HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
WSHS Getting Rid of Grades
Posted by: majon12 ()
Date: February 24, 2015 05:59PM

I've heard parents in the WSHS community saying that the school is getting rid of grades. The principal Mr. Mukai doesn't believe in the grading system. Is anyone else worried about it? Apparently teachers are freaking out and protesting. Kids will probably like it though. Anyone thing about how kids will get into college with no grades? Can this be done? As a parent I am concerned!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WSHS Getting Rid of Grades
Posted by: LBSSprnt ()
Date: February 24, 2015 07:02PM

It is a 10 year plan. It will never come to be, colleges require grades, are none of the WSHS kids not going to college? Wouldn't be too concerned, ain't gona happen.

Posted by: not ()
Date: February 24, 2015 07:39PM

majon12 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've heard parents in the WSHS community saying
> that the school is getting rid of grades. The
> principal Mr. Mukai doesn't believe in the grading
> system. Is anyone else worried about it?
> Apparently teachers are freaking out and
> protesting. Kids will probably like it though.
> Anyone thing about how kids will get into college
> with no grades? Can this be done? As a parent I am
> concerned!

Nothing new. MV got rid of any grades lower than a 53% so "F" went down by 50% but not because the kids did better but because they can't get low grades
S

Posted by: Diehard Lib ()
Date: February 25, 2015 05:51AM

We want all kids to be valedictorian, homecoming queen, and to get high school participation trophies. We are certain that this will encourage excellence and hard work. What could go wrong?

Posted by: geeeezzz ()
Date: February 25, 2015 10:05AM

Nothing new. MV got rid of any grades lower than a 53% so "F" went down by 50% but not because the kids did better but because they can't get low grades

yeah, cause an "F" isn't low enough.

Posted by: Check it ()
Date: February 25, 2015 09:04PM

Its not just WSHS.... FCPS is actively working a plan for next year which will modify grading policies for EVERY high school in the system, and to standardize it across every high school. This will include eliminating zeros for any and every reason, even cheating, plagiarizing and skipping tests and blowing off assignments. How do you think students will respond to this? How will it affect school reputation and college admission decisions?

Posted by: Mocha ()
Date: February 25, 2015 10:37PM

At mount Vernon high school . A student who doesn't do an assismgment or skips or cheats gets a 53%! No more 0 no meter what

Check it Wrote:
> Its not just WSHS.... FCPS is actively working a
> plan for next year which will modify grading
> policies for EVERY high school in the system, and
> to standardize it across every high school. This
> will include eliminating zeros for any and every
> reason, even cheating, plagiarizing and skipping
> tests and blowing off assignments. How do you
> think students will respond to this? How will it
> affect school reputation and college admission
> decisions?

Posted by: So sad ()
Date: March 21, 2015 04:44PM

Thank Greenfelder and Mukai for the fall of WSHS. It used to be such a great school. When Dave Smith left, it went downhill. There is no integrity in education and no focus on the kids. It's all about admin creating new initiatives to make themselves look good and creating a generation of kids who take no responsibility for anything they do. Guess what - if you don't do your work and don't show up at school, you fail. FCPS is trying to make themselves look good by having ALL KIDS PASS and NO CONSEQUENCES.

Posted by: libs hate education ()
Date: March 21, 2015 04:51PM

Nothing new here. libs hate children so they put them in public school to become as stupid as their parents.

Meanwhile, home schooled children taught by their parents who love them, are taking over the world.

Posted by: Standards Based? ()
Date: March 21, 2015 07:42PM

I'm wondering if they are talking about going to standards based grading. The elementary schools switched to it a few years ago and at the time I had heard that the plan was to eventually move it up to MS and HS. There would still be "grades", but they would not be % based.

For now I think it is a good thing to have a consistent standardized grading policy across all high schools. Very few school districts don't have one. Right now one teacher could count tests as 50% of the course grade. Another, teaching the same subject, could choose a different percentage. That type of thing should be standardized.

Posted by: libs hate America. ()
Date: March 21, 2015 08:44PM

Standards Based? Wrote:
> I'm wondering if they are talking about going to
> standards based grading. The elementary schools
> switched to it a few years ago and at the time I
> had heard that the plan was to eventually move it
> up to MS and HS. There would still be "grades",
> but they would not be % based.
>
> For now I think it is a good thing to have a
> consistent standardized grading policy across all
> high schools. Very few school districts don't have
> one. Right now one teacher could count tests as
> 50% of the course grade. Another, teaching the
> same subject, could choose a different percentage.
> That type of thing should be standardized.

God damn you're an idiot! Standardized testing is why public schools are failures.

Why don't you love your children?

Posted by: Mike O'Meara Show Fan ()
Date: March 21, 2015 10:19PM

LBSSprnt Wrote:
> It is a 10 year plan. It will never come to be,
> colleges require grades, are none of the WSHS kids
> not going to college? Wouldn't be too concerned,
> ain't gona happen.

Some colleges don't even GIVE grades, e.g. Hampshire College. So you're a dumbass.

Posted by: repeating we are the best ()
Date: March 21, 2015 10:41PM

"There is no integrity in education and no focus on the kids. It's all about admin creating new initiatives to make themselves look good and creating a generation of kids who take no responsibility for anything they do. Guess what - if you don't do your work and don't show up at school, you fail. FCPS is trying to make themselves look good by having ALL KIDS PASS and NO CONSEQUENCES."

This.

Posted by: fourlegs ()
Date: March 21, 2015 11:06PM

Can't wait till all schools begin to standardize how they grade. It will ensure equality with college admissions.

Posted by: I know about this! ()
Date: March 22, 2015 10:00AM

It will happen unless there is community push back. The wrong assumption it uses is that students are motivated to learn. Teachers do not like this but FCPS has a way to silence them and that is to find a way to destaff or move them to a school far away from where they live. The idea comes from Douglas Reeves - he wrote the book on it....he also has served time for securities fraud and was accused and acquitted of child molestation!!!

Posted by: RonBARGAINdy ()
Date: March 22, 2015 11:49AM

Here is the thought.
Hey little Jimmy
you need to learn these 53 things this year.
If you show me on a single quiz that you can use short term memory and show "Mastery" we will check this box off!

Don't worry we are going to assume you will have this skill mastered from now on and approach the next box.

what you have several boxes not checked off? You have until the end of the year so no need to feel a sense of urgency until June... when EVERY kid in school is in the same stress boat!

And don't worry little Jimmy, now that we put LARGER class sizes in place it will be no problem for the teacher to help all 34 kids who have now been allowed to be at different paces!

So since you haven't mastered the last few boxes you are excused from this and every LECTURE from here out, so just distract yourself with TRIVIA CRACK.

We all know that as soon as a student understands they are behind the others and are ALLOWED to be so they DO NOT CATCH UP.

So if school ultimately wants mass confusion it's so so much closer.

The only thing about to be accomplished is (and maybe this is the goal) flushing out all the teachers by making it seem their fault when this backfires.

Teachers are to guide the class towards the goals. Not be responsible for the students decisions.

Students now are allowed to make excuses instead of being held accountable to following the plans put in place.

Teachers are to treat students like they are POKEMON and are asked to "Pass em All".

Its so funny that kids passing a course can have anything to do with a teacher. Yet in the public it's held to be the top factor. really?

Anyone who turns in everything assigned applies themselves toward the material will never receive below a D. And all of these new policies are geared directly to "encourage students to not quit" when they have super low D's and F's.

NOBODY who does the right things in HS will fail.

I never said anything about intelligence.

It's just about doing what you are supposed to.

So to think all of education is going to be turned on it's head because every generation of smartphone children is less and less likely to do what they are supposed to do is silly.

wait... we need kids to pass or the government will take us over... we know we can not expect kids to care so now we are making it all a judgement on the effectiveness of the teacher to take full responsibility for chasing down their enlarged classes...

*wink* good try
hope it works out for you all
I escaped in time

Posted by: top down lands on teachers ()
Date: March 22, 2015 01:18PM

"wait... we need kids to pass or the government will take us over... we know we can not expect kids to care so now we are making it all a judgement on the effectiveness of the teacher to take full responsibility for chasing down their enlarged classes..."

+1000

Posted by: Standard Based ()
Date: March 22, 2015 03:41PM

libs hate America. Wrote:
> Standards Based? Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'm wondering if they are talking about going
> to
> > standards based grading. The elementary schools
> > switched to it a few years ago and at the time
> I
> > had heard that the plan was to eventually move
> it
> > up to MS and HS. There would still be "grades",
> > but they would not be % based.
> >
> > For now I think it is a good thing to have a
> > consistent standardized grading policy across
> all
> > high schools. Very few school districts don't
> have
> > one. Right now one teacher could count tests as
> > 50% of the course grade. Another, teaching the
> > same subject, could choose a different
> percentage.
> > That type of thing should be standardized.
>
> God damn you're an idiot! Standardized testing is
> why public schools are failures.
>
> Why don't you love your children?

Listen dipshit. I didn't say anything about "standardized testing". I mentioned "standards based grading". Those two things are polar opposites.

Posted by: spartanpride ()
Date: March 22, 2015 04:34PM

So sad Wrote:
> Thank Greenfelder and Mukai for the fall of WSHS.
> It used to be such a great school. When Dave Smith
> left, it went downhill. There is no integrity in
> education and no focus on the kids. It's all about
> admin creating new initiatives to make themselves
> look good and creating a generation of kids who
> take no responsibility for anything they do. Guess
> what - if you don't do your work and don't show up
> at school, you fail. FCPS is trying to make
> themselves look good by having ALL KIDS PASS and
> NO CONSEQUENCES.

+1000000. This is their method of doing business--no one around to determine if it actually works

Posted by: College Admissions Officer ()
Date: March 22, 2015 06:07PM

College admissions boards don't look at GPAs, we look at class ranks and standardized test scores. Class ranks eliminate problems with different grading scales (4 or 5 point) and policies across districts. ACTs and SATs provide a second normalized metric.

Posted by: Berta2 ()
Date: March 22, 2015 07:24PM

What motivation is there for students to work in class if they are not receiving a grade. Having worked as a teacher with teenagers, I can tell you kids don't do work because they feel learning is a reward. If this principal thinks kids actually think like that, he is out of touch with reality.

Also, my kids applied to college a couple of years ago - every college admissions officer told us they look at GPA and strength of the school schedule. So if grades are eliminated, how to colleges evaluate these students? Is the rest of the country getting rid of grades too? Until every school does this, how will these kids not be negatively affected?

Posted by: You got it wrong ()
Date: March 22, 2015 07:27PM

WSHS isgoing to change to a male only school. They will still receive grades.

Posted by: ht11 ()
Date: June 23, 2015 06:02PM

West Springfield continues to go downhill. I have one more kid in that school and then I am done with it forever. Thank goodness! It's sad how much it has changed over the past five years. The Superintendent needs to step in and help out over there!!

Posted by: County Exec ()
Date: June 23, 2015 07:36PM

We will eliminate grades so as to hide how stupid blacks are.

Posted by: WisconsinMom ()
Date: April 26, 2016 05:29PM

Thank you Principal Mukai - you are single handedly destroying a great school and ruining the education of thousands of innocent students. Who in the world hired this man to run a school? This year has been a nightmare. Thank God my kid is graduating. But godspeed to everyone else who must stay there under him. I think as a community we need to write letters to the school board to stop this nonsense.

Posted by: ....... ()
Date: April 26, 2016 05:34PM

This is just another example of pandering to blacks and Hispanics. Can't single them out for their behavior, so it's either collective punishment or total hands off.

Almost everything, from window tint laws, to zero tolerance in schools is the result of pandering to those two demographics.

Posted by: is this serious? ()
Date: April 26, 2016 05:50PM

First the county did away with the zero tolerance policy on drugs. And now WSHS is doing away with grades??? Sounds like a fun place...

Maybe they'll bring back the smokers' court. Now them were the days. But, nah, that'll never happen. No way will the school allow smokin'. No way.

Posted by: College Admissions veteran ()
Date: April 26, 2016 05:56PM

College Admissions Officer Wrote:
> College admissions boards don't look at GPAs, we
> look at class ranks and standardized test scores.
> Class ranks eliminate problems with different
> grading scales (4 or 5 point) and policies across
> districts. ACTs and SATs provide a second
> normalized metric.

Given how few high schools provide class rank information, you either work for a very unusual college or you are trying to mislead parents. Besides, every college admissions office does things their own way.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.