HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Speed traps in NOVA
Posted by: DanG ()
Date: June 21, 2006 06:16PM

I'm doing some testing on some new equipment I picked up recently -- does anyone know any hot spots for police traps (in particular, cops which snipe by lidar, or in other words, laser)? Just a FYI for people who don't know, normally laser traps are done at further distances than a radar trap.

I live very near the fairfax county parkway, and travel on it often, however it seems as though cops aren't out in the spots as much now as I've seen before (and the few cops I do occasionally encounter use radar). Does anyone know any hot spots where cops shoot laser on a regular basis? Any additional details including days of the week and times would also be very much of a help.

Thanks guys.
Dan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Speed traps in NOVA
Posted by: mad max, JD ()
Date: June 21, 2006 07:04PM

Mornings on 50 west right past 7100. Out there at least once a week.

Posted by: Cary ()
Date: June 21, 2006 07:25PM

The median of 66 (east and west) right after the 7100 exit. State troopers sit there constantly but I'm pretty sure they use Ka band radar.
I could be wrong. If you bought some super radar detector you should drive past a couple times and see what lights up.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: June 21, 2006 07:36PM

Traveling on route 28 near the 28/29 toward Manassas they are always pulling people over. I have no idea which method they are using.

Date: June 21, 2006 08:16PM

Thanks for the replies so far. I wish there was a holiday coming up.

And no, it's not a super radar detector, in fact I already own a Valentine 1. Any radar detector, including the Big 3's can't warn you worth crap for laser. That is why I shelled out some serious cash and nabbed myself a "parking sensor". Top of the line.

Where are the cops when I need them? Fairfax county is rich, why are they using so much radar, they need to upgrade all units to laser so I can do some testing. :-(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2006 08:17PM by DanG.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: June 21, 2006 09:56PM

DanG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any radar detector,
> including the Big 3's can't warn you worth crap
> for laser.
>
> Fairfax county is rich, why are they using so much radar,
> they need to upgrade all units to laser so I can
> do some testing. :-(

ok, now for saying that alone, you are a fucking retard. you just said there is nothing that can warn you of lidar but you want them to upgrade to it. why in the hell would you want that? great, you can test your little gadget while everyone including yourself gets fucked over. smart, really smart.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: June 21, 2006 10:52PM

Hello Gravis,

Maybe if you learned how to read and spell properly in the 3rd grade, you could have read that I said "any radar detector" is useless against lidar. There are other countermeasures for laser, most notably, a laser jammer (works also as a parking sensor). Veil, a "laser shield" license plate cover, and a dark colored car or car bra also help for delaying a laser reading at further distances by eliminating reflective parts of your front end.

http://www.radarbusters.com
http://www.laserveil.com

My little "gadget" has already been tested A LOT, tons of people have done videos for the AntiLaser 8:
http://www.jasonsvideoproductions.com/Templates/laserjammer3.htm
http://www.guysoflidar.com

Through most test runs, it has produced a jam to gun, meaning no reading at any distance on the gun. Kustom's Pro Laser III and the Stalker are the guns used in VA and these guns have been tested. But be spektical as much as you want, I don't really care.

Gravis Wrote:
> DanG Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Any radar detector,
> > including the Big 3's can't warn you worth crap
> > for laser.
> >
> > Fairfax county is rich, why are they using so
> much radar,
> > they need to upgrade all units to laser so I
> can
> > do some testing. :-(
>
> ok, now for saying that alone, you are a fucking
> retard. you just said there is nothing that can
> warn you of lidar but you want them to upgrade to
> it. why in the hell would you want that? great,
> you can test your little gadget while everyone
> including yourself gets fucked over. smart,
> really smart.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: June 22, 2006 04:38PM

DanG Wrote:
> Hello Gravis,
>
> Maybe if you learned how to read and spell
> properly in the 3rd grade, you could have read
> that I said "any radar detector" is useless
> against lidar.

great, you just insulted me for spelling and reading comprehension mistakes. the thing is, i didnt mispell anything. in addition, had you read carefully, you would have seen i never mentioned a radar detector. way to go, genius.

> There are other countermeasures
> for laser, most notably, a laser jammer (works
> also as a parking sensor).

the laser jammers burn out too quickly. oh... and from your page: "in general, jammers do not offer consistent protection from all varieties of speed traps."

> Veil, a "laser shield"
> license plate cover, and a dark colored car or car
> bra also help for delaying a laser reading at
> further distances by eliminating reflective parts
> of your front end.

from the all the cases in court, they always said they aimed at the windshield. i dont think spraying that stuff on your windsheild would be a good idea. oh... and the "car bra" makes your car look gay.

> Through most test runs, it has produced a jam to
> gun, meaning no reading at any distance on the
> gun.

this is easy for them to detect you are jamming them and thus they will still pull you over and there are much larger fines for screwing with the lidar guns because they are state property, i think it may be a misdemeanor.

on a further note, if we have a nice system of detection in place, WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU WANT IT CHANGED?!

P.S. if your name is Dan Green and you ride motorcycles all the time, i know who you are and you are fucking retard.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: gerhardt ()
Date: June 22, 2006 04:51PM

my former neighbor is a foreign diplomat and both of his cars have diplomatic
license plates.(ending with 002 and 003, so I assume he's a pretty big shot)

anyway, I can still remember the 4th of July about 4 years ago when I went
to see the fireworks in DC with them. We rode in his SUV and I got a taste
of life in the FAST lanes was like... actually, he drove in on the shoulder
on I-66.(from I-495 to DC) This was at more than 50mph, when the traffic
in the two regular lanes were crawling at 10mph... at one point, there was
a cop car sitting in the shoulder... he slowed down and merged into the regular
lanes. after he passed the cop car, he went back to the shoulder lane and
continued... the cop didn't even seem to care...

The real fun was on the way back... the traffic was bad... obviously.
However, after the traffic cleared up after Centerville, he was driving at
about 100mph... he told me he did that every morning and the cops never
stopped him...

Posted by: Dr. J ()
Date: June 22, 2006 08:15PM

hey Dan G , don't let Gravis get to you.He is on female hormone replacement therapy following his sex reassignment surgery. We had huge problems turning his tiny penis into a vagina (almost had to find a donor from the morgue). He/she should be back to herself in a few months.

Posted by: Rockford ()
Date: June 22, 2006 08:43PM

gerhardt Wrote:
> my former neighbor is a foreign diplomat and both
> of his cars have diplomatic
> license plates.(ending with 002 and 003, so I
> assume he's a pretty big shot)
>
> anyway, I can still remember the 4th of July about
> 4 years ago when I went
> to see the fireworks in DC with them. We rode in
> his SUV and I got a taste
> of life in the FAST lanes was like... actually, he
> drove in on the shoulder
> on I-66.(from I-495 to DC) This was at more than
> 50mph, when the traffic
> in the two regular lanes were crawling at 10mph...
> at one point, there was
> a cop car sitting in the shoulder... he slowed
> down and merged into the regular
> lanes. after he passed the cop car, he went back
> to the shoulder lane and
> continued... the cop didn't even seem to care...
>
> The real fun was on the way back... the traffic
> was bad... obviously.
> However, after the traffic cleared up after
> Centerville, he was driving at
> about 100mph... he told me he did that every
> morning and the cops never
> stopped him...

Your former neighbor is an idiot.

Contrary to popular belief, police can and do issue tickets to diplomats. The license plates and driver's licenses are issued by and property of the United States Department of State. The Diplomatic Security Office keeps very good track of any violations.

Since the diplomat is here representing their home country it is severely frowned upon and viewed as an embarrassment for a diplomat to have run-ins with the law.

Rest assured, after enough run-ins with our system of law the diplomat will be returned to his or her home country, either by the US or by their own country. (I know of a case where a diplomat was stopped for DWI and was returned to their home country by their own government within 2 days.)

In short, those red, white and blue license plates you see really don't mean as much as you think.

Posted by: watcher ()
Date: June 22, 2006 09:07PM

Why not just go the posted speed limit, and then there is no need for any high-priced gadgets?......moron.....

And yeah, driving on the shoulder at 100 mph is real smart. Your neighbor is a tool.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: June 22, 2006 09:39PM

well I don't agree with that "posted speed limit" bs. Just drive with caution and follow the flow of traffic.

Too many speed limits in this area are determined by emotional safety, rather than real actual safety, factors.

Date: June 23, 2006 03:07PM

Just some pointers for Gravis:

1) Laser jammers do not burn out quickly.
2) True, jammer do not provide protection against all varieties of speed traps. Because they also use radar, and that is what a good radar detector is for. In some states, cops laser from the back, they DO NOT do this in Virginia though. The ratio is like 1 or 2 in 50, so they hardly ever do it in other states either.
3) No, cops aim for either license plate or headlights.
4) It's not easy for cops to detect you are jamming them. Well, on some guns, it shows an error code. If you slow down within a few seconds and turn off the jammer, the cop will not think of it. Even if you keep it in, chances are highly in your favor that he won't do squat. Even if he's an experienced cop and may think I do have a jammer, I'm sure he'd much rather hand out a $200+ ticket over a $40 traffic infraction.
5) Yes, a rdar detctor/jammer ticket is $40. Technically they can confiscate your RD, but if they do they have to submit it to evidence and go to trial. Not something a normal cop would do for a $40 no-points infraction.

The cops were actually just out on the Parkway doing laser near Springfield mall this morning and I did a little testing. Jammed his gun for 3 seconds then turned it off. :-)

Posted by: mad max, JD ()
Date: June 23, 2006 11:31PM

I actually got pulled over this morning, i think it was laser. At least I thought I had gotten pulled over. It was on Pohick Rd. just east of 95 and he was around a bend with the gun and waving people in when he got them. He pointed at me, and I had tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time, and I pointed at myself like "Me?" He nodded and motioned me over. I did with the rest of the cars, and he gave them all tickets, and went back to pointing the gun. I wasn't about to run from a cop, so I sat there for another 10 minutes until he got back into his car, probably ran my plate, and then busted a U and took off. I wasted about 20 minutes on my way to king's dominion, but no ticket.

Posted by: bigrager ()
Date: June 24, 2006 02:14AM

WHERE DO U BUY THESE THINGS, ARE THEY LEGAL?

Posted by: r4g23 ()
Date: December 23, 2015 06:43PM

they are everywhere

Posted by: radar royyy ()
Date: December 23, 2015 07:15PM

Almost 10 years later, now Fairfax is primary Laser.

Pro Laser 3, 4 and Ultralite

Ka Band 34.7/35.5

some K band too, not much though.

VSP loves instant on Ka band

Posted by: zimm ()
Date: December 26, 2015 10:17AM

DanG is right on. I've ran jammers on several vehicles and they do work if properly placed and aimed. You have to make sure to turn it off after you slow down but before the cop figures out your jamming him/her. Worked great in Hawaii where they are 100% LIDAR. It does give a false reading on bridges for some reason- both Woodrow Wilson, Hampton roads bridge/bay tunnel, etc. Not sure why.

I also ran a BEL STI-R plus remote mount radar detector which is detector proof. The problem is that there are constant K-band false alerts all over the beltway, 95, and 395. Even with the GPS false alert triggered (it saves false alerts), so the they must be frequency hopping. It was so bad that I didn't even bother re-installing the gear in my latest vehicle. Granted it's a jeep, so no need to go more than 10mph over in that thing.

State troopers are almost entirely Ka band and the Bel saved me several times going between DC and Norfolk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2015 08:47AM by zimm.

Posted by: radar royy ()
Date: December 26, 2015 05:02PM

I run the BEL STI-R+ as well, if you have the latest software update the falses aren't that bad. They added band segmentation so you can narrow down frequencies and additional K band filtration to counter all the radar blind spot monitoring systems. X band I just disable as it's not used.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.