HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Lexus RX400h all-wheel-drive stuck in snow, unable to get out... how is this possible?
Posted by: Clarkmilles ()
Date: March 03, 2009 12:48PM

yesterday morning, I saw a Lexus RX400h driver getting stuck in snow. The SUV was parked on the street and its left side was covered by snow pushed in by the snowplow trucks.

I and a couple other neighbors helpe the guy and moved most of the snow... but the RX400h still couldn't get out. We saw the front wheels move, then stops... then the rear wheels started to spin, then stopped... the front and rear wheel took turns spinning, but the vehicles just stood still.

Finally we threw several shovels of gravel in front of all four tires and the RX400h finally made it out...

How can this happen on a 4-whee-drive vehicle?

This was in Vienna...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lexus RX400h all-wheel-drive stuck in snow, unable to get out... how is this possible?
Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: March 03, 2009 12:51PM

Why? Because it is an imported POS.

I have never gotten my SUVs stuck in any depth of snow. Ice, either.

Re: Lexus RX400h all-wheel-drive stuck in snow, unable to get out... how is this possible?
Posted by: Cheap Tires ()
Date: March 03, 2009 01:03PM

all wheel drive isn't magical.

Firstly, the guy probably bought the cheapest tires he could find. He probably has poor traction even on wet roads, and lots of road noise and poor tracking. But he saved $50 bucks, and doesn't understand that saving $50 on tires amounts to saving less than a penny per mile.

But most likely, the guy is just an idiot, and like most people, when he gets stuck, he jams his foot on the gas pedal, believing more is always better.

If his car doesn't have a "snow" or "weather" or "traction" setting for his transmission, he should shift to second gear, and lightly press the gas pedal to only use a small amount of torque. Too much torque, even with all wheel drive, will leave a car just spinning it's wheels, with no traction whatsoever.

It's amazing how so few people understand the physics involved in operating a motor vehicle.

Posted by: Illina ()
Date: March 03, 2009 01:07PM

if anybody watched last night's news on Channel 9, there was a guy driving a
Chevy Suburban(with true 4WD). He also couldn't make it out of his driveway
with only 6 inches of snow. It was an older Suburban('98 or '99) with those
ugly Jeep tires. I don't get it... why would it get stuck like that?

Posted by: Cheap Tires ()
Date: March 03, 2009 01:25PM

Illina Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> if anybody watched last night's news on Channel 9,
> there was a guy driving a
> Chevy Suburban(with true 4WD). He also couldn't
> make it out of his driveway
> with only 6 inches of snow. It was an older
> Suburban('98 or '99) with those
> ugly Jeep tires. I don't get it... why would it
> get stuck like that?

"It's amazing how so few people understand the physics involved in operating a motor vehicle."

The guy was demonstrating the power stupidity has to negate technology.

Posted by: asshat ()
Date: March 04, 2009 02:23AM

when will car companies listen to people and start making hover-cars... its just rediculous that we live in an age where we cant float over snow.

Posted by: ManBearPig ()
Date: March 04, 2009 02:28AM

asshat Wrote:
> when will car companies listen to people and start
> making hover-cars... its just rediculous that we
> live in an age where we cant float over snow.

According to Algore and all the sycophants, they're working on the solution to the problem of snow. Why make a car that can float over snow when you can just melt all the snow.

Posted by: Gronkle ()
Date: March 04, 2009 01:55PM

4 times 0 is the same as 2 times 0........................

Posted by: Predator Obama ()
Date: March 04, 2009 02:05PM

This would all be solved if we could just zoom around in 4WD segways.

Posted by: whateves.. ()
Date: March 04, 2009 09:36PM

"If his car doesn't have a "snow" or "weather" or "traction" setting for his transmission, he should shift to second gear, and lightly press the gas pedal to only use a small amount of torque. Too much torque, even with all wheel drive, will leave a car just spinning it's wheels, with no traction whatsoever."

...So, with an automatic transmission, when you put it in "2" or "shift to second gear" it will still start in first gear. It limits the transmission from going above 2nd gear in to 3rd.

It's amazing how so few people understand the physics involved in operating a motor vehicle.

Posted by: DOH ()
Date: March 05, 2009 12:09AM

whateves.. Wrote:
> "If his car doesn't have a "snow" or "weather" or
> "traction" setting for his transmission, he should
> shift to second gear, and lightly press the gas
> pedal to only use a small amount of torque. Too
> much torque, even with all wheel drive, will leave
> a car just spinning it's wheels, with no traction
> whatsoever."
>
>
> ...So, with an automatic transmission, when you
> put it in "2" or "shift to second gear" it will
> still start in first gear. It limits the
> transmission from going above 2nd gear in to 3rd.
>
> It's amazing how so few people understand the
> physics involved in operating a motor vehicle.

In some newer cars, that might be true. But it isn't always true.

In my MB E350, it actually does upshift to 2nd if I pull the transmission back to the pseudo "manual" and tap the shifter to the left. You can even feel the transmission shifting up. But i have a "w" and "s" switch that allows me to set the transmission to start automatically in 2nd, so it's sort of a moot point with my car.

Posted by: AP ()
Date: April 27, 2009 09:41PM

Okay, here is what happened. Lexus hybrids have the same dumb traction control system that Toyota's have (Toyota owns Lexus). This traction control system, if it senses any major slipping will take away all power to the driven wheels. If you don't belive me, watch this video with a Prius (same traction control as any Toyota or Lexus hybrid has(RX400hybrid)) trying to get up a driveway with a little ice on it. Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y52iW82dupM

Posted by: graymoose ()
Date: April 28, 2009 08:10AM

Why in the f**k are you people talking about snow when its 92 degrees outside.

Posted by: Therwah ()
Date: January 08, 2015 08:04AM

Hello people,
I read your post and i thought to share this with you Lexus RX400h owners.
I have done this during the snow storm hit Jordan and the middle east this year.

To turn off the traction control in order to make all wheels spin follow these easy steps, you will be amazed >>

1- switch the car off, then switch it on without (ready) light.
2- while on P, press the gas pedal 4 times.
3- shift to N, press the gas pedal 4 times.
4- Shift to P again, press gas pedal 4 times.

Then a message will appear saying traction control is off, this way you can drive on all wheels without the silly computer controlling the wheels.

Once you are done, just turn the vehicle off, then turn it on just normal way and the traction will be back again.

Let me know if this works for you.

Posted by: Traction Grandpa ()
Date: January 08, 2015 09:17AM

Thank God, I've been waiting SIX YEARS for someone to resolve this issue...

Posted by: Soot Foot ()
Date: January 08, 2015 01:20PM

My Duramax laughs so hard it belches black sooty smoke every time it passes one of those Japanese turds in the snow.

Posted by: The Loller ()
Date: January 08, 2015 01:21PM

Traction Grandpa Wrote:
> Thank God, I've been waiting SIX YEARS for someone
> to resolve this issue...

LOL!

Posted by: Stupiduselessvehicle ()
Date: January 09, 2015 08:13AM

Because an SUV is a stupid useless vehicle that is why. PS. I'm going to go look for the footage now so I can laugh at that teenie weenie.

Illina Wrote:
> if anybody watched last night's news on Channel 9,
> there was a guy driving a
> Chevy Suburban(with true 4WD). He also couldn't
> make it out of his driveway
> with only 6 inches of snow. It was an older
> Suburban('98 or '99) with those
> ugly Jeep tires. I don't get it... why would it
> get stuck like that?

Posted by: Stupid neighbors ()
Date: January 09, 2015 08:15AM

I wouldn't have helped. I would have just recorded it and put it on you tube so everyone could laugh at his teenie weenie problem.

Clarkmilles Wrote:
> yesterday morning, I saw a Lexus RX400h driver
> getting stuck in snow. The SUV was parked on the
> street and its left side was covered by snow
> pushed in by the snowplow trucks.
>
> I and a couple other neighbors helpe the guy and
> moved most of the snow... but the RX400h still
> couldn't get out. We saw the front wheels move,
> then stops... then the rear wheels started to
> spin, then stopped... the front and rear wheel
> took turns spinning, but the vehicles just stood
> still.
>
> Finally we threw several shovels of gravel in
> front of all four tires and the RX400h finally
> made it out...
>
> How can this happen on a 4-whee-drive vehicle?
>
> This was in Vienna...

Posted by: Obliteration ()
Date: January 09, 2015 08:19AM

SUV drivers always overestimate the abilities of their stupid useless vehicles. For example in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df5Jezb_pxs

Posted by: niggar ()
Date: January 09, 2015 09:41AM

I find it hard to believe anyone considers the lexus RX a real suv. It's not designed to be one, and 4wd won't help.

Posted by: lol1000100100 ()
Date: January 09, 2015 01:57PM

Lexus RX400h is not a real suv...seeing a jeep, ford explorer, or Subaru stuck would be noteworthy though.

Posted by: Nicdoot ()
Date: January 09, 2015 02:02PM

We had a Lexus 350 and it wasn't 4 wheel drive. We now have a Jeep with 4 wheel drive and it went great. But still had to put up with all the other drivers.

Posted by: asdasdffasdf ()
Date: January 09, 2015 02:08PM

Your pussyass Toyota/Lexus 4WD isn't real AWD. IT's that part time bullshit with no limited slip differential. hOW DARE you call that AWD.

Posted by: honda piloteer ()
Date: January 09, 2015 02:14PM

I have a bullshit AWD car too, but at least it lets me lock the clutches (vt4m lock) in for a semi true 4wd if I'm stuck. Still only like 10% of the power gets to the back.

That said, a FWD car will do just fine around here. Maybe a couple days last year you would have had trouble, but 99% of the time you'd be fine.

Look at cops and taxis in their RWD crown vics, getting around just fine.

Posted by: So basically... ()
Date: January 09, 2015 03:29PM

...you only drive overcompensation vehicles.

Nicdoot Wrote:
> We had a Lexus 350 and it wasn't 4 wheel drive. We
> now have a Jeep with 4 wheel drive and it went
> great. But still had to put up with all the other
> drivers.

Posted by: hey fuck-tard ()
Date: January 09, 2015 03:31PM

So basically... Wrote:
> ...you only drive overcompensation vehicles.
>
> Nicdoot Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > We had a Lexus 350 and it wasn't 4 wheel drive.
> We
> > now have a Jeep with 4 wheel drive and it went
> > great. But still had to put up with all the
> other
> > drivers.

Leave Nicdoot alone, she is one of the nicer posters left on FFXU.

Posted by: picsor ()
Date: January 09, 2015 07:32PM

Pics or it didn't happen jerk

Posted by: Ho Re Sheet ()
Date: January 09, 2015 08:19PM

Saw a Toyota Land Cruiser that couldn't make it up a hill yesterday. But it was being driven by an Asian, so you have to take that into account.

Posted by: GBW ()
Date: January 09, 2015 08:22PM

"This was in Vienna..."

Well there is your problem. Nothing works right in Vienna. 'nuff said.

Posted by: WKwm4 ()
Date: January 09, 2015 08:27PM

My 02 Grand Cherokee is pretty good in the snow. I've only gotten stuck once. The snow was deeper than the floor of the car and it just collected under the car and beached all 4 wheels. Can't do much about that..

Posted by: Love Lexus ()
Date: January 10, 2015 07:35AM

There are special snow driving settings that the driver has to manually select on the steering wheel to engage the transmission properly on the 400h. Not engaging this when needed is likely what happened.

Still it is not a true 4 wheel drive vehicle where you can lock on all 4 wheels.

Regardless - face it there are too many local people that have no clue how to drive in 3" of snow. What a joke that the entire area is paralyzed with only a light snowfall. 1/3 of the nation endures snow and temps like this every week all winter - and the kids still go to school, and the people still go to work.

Posted by: sadfsdxcvdfs ()
Date: January 10, 2015 01:33PM

The WRX STi and the Lancer Evo would probably do much better in the snow than your crappy RX, and they're not even SUVs.

Posted by: asdfgh3srga ()
Date: January 10, 2015 01:35PM

You want real AWD? Get a real AWD car.

* Lots of Jeep's offerings
* Some of the body-on-frame GM trucks
* Pretty much any Subaru
* VW Golf R/R32
* Audi Quattro-enabled cars (A3 is pretty much the same as the Golf R)
* Land Cruiser, 4Runner
* AWD Volvos

Posted by: niggar ()
Date: January 10, 2015 02:54PM

asdfgh3srga Wrote:
> You want real AWD? Get a real AWD car.
>
> * Lots of Jeep's offerings
> * Some of the body-on-frame GM trucks
> * Pretty much any Subaru
> * VW Golf R/R32
> * Audi Quattro-enabled cars (A3 is pretty much the
> same as the Golf R)
> * Land Cruiser, 4Runner
> * AWD Volvos

Volkswagen Golf? Are you shitting me?
You might as well have just put a motorcycle on this list too, while you're at it.

You're aware it's still front drive based, right? And that the Golf R isn't made for off-roading, right?

Posted by: snowman.. ()
Date: January 10, 2015 05:19PM

I drive a Jeep and can tell y'all that was a tough little snow due to being so fine and powdery with super cold temps. I almost needed four wheel drive on the way to work 25 miles from here. It was slippery as hell.

Posted by: Nicdoot ()
Date: January 10, 2015 07:01PM

Thanks for standing up for me. I try to be nice on her. he probably doesn't want to know that we also used to drive an Audi. Hehe

Just bought a RAV4 and love it but haven't driven it in the elements yet. I think it should do well although it's not a super heavy car.

Posted by: Locked FZJ80 ()
Date: January 10, 2015 09:15PM

Typical AWD / 4WD means 1 of the 4 wheels will spin, typically the one without traction.

Posted by: Fjnph ()
Date: January 10, 2015 09:29PM

Locked FZJ80 Wrote:
> Typical AWD / 4WD means 1 of the 4 wheels will
> spin, typically the one without traction.

Generally not since most have separate front and rear diffs in some form and many these days have various types of traction control. So more like 2 spinning even for the point that you're trying to make.

No, it's not as good as that goes versus lockers. But I doubt you're running full locked on the road around here anyway.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.